FIRST SINGLE RUMORED

RUSHFREAK101

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 16 2012, 08:29 PM)
QUOTE (Snowman @ Mar 16 2012, 03:44 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 15 2012, 07:16 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 15 2012, 04:16 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 15 2012, 01:12 PM)
QUOTE (Alexmai @ Mar 15 2012, 02:53 AM)
I'd love to read a CA review from an expert (of those that are going to that Lunch & Listen)... if we can't listen to CA, at least we can read to wink.gif

"Roadrunner Records is inviting 120 industry executives and promoters on Tuesday March 27th at 11 AM for a "Lunch and Listen" to the new Rush record. I saw an invite to this through a good friend of mine who is attending it and works for the NY Post. He also told me a single is going to be coming that following Friday so that puts us at the 30th for a new song. ..."

This is the best news I've heard so far! This basically confirms every rumor that has come lately! The New single on the 30th of March, the May release if not sooner, but more importantly, it confirms that the guys feel strong enough about this album to have it exposed for review prior to its release. Face it, all these writers and executives could alter the sell of the album for non-RUSH fans with one bad review. I don't think RUSH would exposed themselves like this if they didn't feel great about This album!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Its gonna ROCK!

AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

1022.gif applaudit.gif 1022.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif 1022.gif

didn't they feel strong enough about s & a? unsure.gif even though the album sucks to me they are very proud of it and i think alex sent a copy to david gilmour when they completed it. it was sort of a thanks to gilmour for his advice but damn i'd be embarrassed to send that one to david gilmour. eh.gif

why? at least half of it is a great album, and the other half isn't embarrassing or anything. i think they only truly would have had cause for acute embarrassment if they tried to ship off VT to a famous musician. that or maybe RTB, of which half the songs were pretty embarrassing.

yes.gif

Half of S&A is excellent and the other half is good/acceptable.

This makes it a very good post HYF album.

S&A is the best since Counterparts.

Lets hope they come back with an even greater album on CA! common001.gif

goodpost.gif

Your observations are spot on perfect. S&A and Counterparts are their only bright spots post-HYF.

The only thing I even slightly disagree with is that I'm nowhere near as optimistic as you seem to be, based on those first two tracks, that CA will live up to the level of S&A, and I seriously doubt it will be better. I'm just hoping against hope for 2 or 3 great tracks. I'm not optimistic I'll get them, but I'm still hoping. I've long ago accepted that they stopped making great albums one after another like they did for so many years, and while that is a sad fact, getting 2 or 3 more great songs out of them at this stage in their career would make me happy as their studio album career winds down with this last album. I don't know if they have enough left in the tank for another classic or two or three like the first 3 tracks on S&A, but anything can happen...

Whatever. The first two tracks are just as good as the first two on SnA. For me a look for a whole record of songs just as good as the top couple of tracks from SnA. Even you admitted SnA fades about half way through. No fading on this record. 2.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 16 2012, 06:54 PM)
I'd love to read a CA review from an expert (of those that are going to that Lunch & Listen)... if we can't listen to CA, at least we can read to wink.gif

"Roadrunner Records is inviting 120 industry executives and promoters on Tuesday March 27th at 11 AM for a "Lunch and Listen" to the new Rush record. I saw an invite to this through a good friend of mine who is attending it and works for the NY Post. He also told me a single is going to be coming that following Friday so that puts us at the 30th for a new song. ..."

This is the best news I've heard so far! This basically confirms every rumor that has come lately! The New single on the 30th of March, the May release if not sooner, but more importantly, it confirms that the guys feel strong enough about this album to have it exposed for review prior to its release. Face it, all these writers and executives could alter the sell of the album for non-RUSH fans with one bad review. I don't think RUSH would exposed themselves like this if they didn't feel great about This album!

Its gonna ROCK!

didn't they feel strong enough about s & a? unsure.gif even though the album sucks to me they are very proud of it and i think alex sent a copy to david gilmour when they completed it. it was sort of a thanks to gilmour for his advice but damn i'd be embarrassed to send that one to david gilmour. eh.gif

why? at least half of it is a great album, and the other half isn't embarrassing or anything. i think they only truly would have had cause for acute embarrassment if they tried to ship off VT to a famous musician. that or maybe RTB, of which half the songs were pretty embarrassing.

yes.gif

goodpost.gif

Your observations are spot on perfect. S&A and Counterparts are their only bright spots post-HYF.

The only thing I even slightly disagree with is that I'm nowhere near as optimistic as you seem to be, based on those first two tracks, that CA will live up to the level of S&A, and I seriously doubt it will be better. I'm just hoping against hope for 2 or 3 great tracks. I'm not optimistic I'll get them, but I'm still hoping. I've long ago accepted that they stopped making great albums one after another like they did for so many years, and while that is a sad fact, getting 2 or 3 more great songs out of them at this stage in their career would make me happy as their studio album career winds down with this last album. I don't know if they have enough left in the tank for another classic or two or three like the first 3 tracks on S&A, but anything can happen...

Whatever. The first two tracks are just as good as the first two on SnA. For me a look for a whole record of songs just as good as the top couple of tracks from SnA. Even you admitted SnA fades about half way through. No fading on this record. 2.gif

I truly wish I could agree with you about the first two tracks, but alas, I cannot. I think Caravan has perhaps some potential to improve in the context of a story, but I don't feel BU2B has any room for improvement. Even still, Caravan is exciting musically, but not lyrically.

Oh well, time will tell...

QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 16 2012, 08:48 PM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Mar 16 2012, 06:48 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 16 2012, 12:18 PM)
The first half is Crap and the second half is Shit .

Thanks, Tony R. tongue.gif

Not even Far Cry, MalNar, or Monkey Business work for you? Seems like these tracks are the closest Rush has come to old school Rush in a long time.

If only they would have stuck to that style for the whole record. I think they will with Clockwork Angels.

goodpost.gif

Those three really worked. The other songs were not horrible, IMO, but the medium tempo and not very exciting (IMO).

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 16 2012, 10:17 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 16 2012, 06:54 PM)

Its gonna ROCK!

yes.gif

goodpost.gif

I truly wish I could agree with you about the first two tracks, but alas, I cannot. I think Caravan has perhaps some potential to improve in the context of a story, but I don't feel BU2B has any room for improvement. Even still, Caravan is exciting musically, but not lyrically.

Oh well, time will tell...

I like Caravan, but not as much as Far Cry.

I'd also just love to hear a more back to basic sound without all the layering... just my taste.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 16 2012, 07:46 PM)
i really wish they would have chosen a different producer.

I don't know. Nick R. did bring about their only good album since CP, so he did something right. The only problem is, while he obviously has some influence, and the band respects him, he may be too much of a fan to let them know when the lyrics don't work, like on songs like Faithless, BU2B, Bravest Face, The Larger Bowl, the unfinished quality of the lyrics on Good News First, etc. Maybe it's unrealistic to expect any producer to have that much say, but there were at least 6 REALLY GREAT songs on S&A. I'd like to think that Nick influenced those in some significant way, so he might be able to coax some more great material out of them, something the producers of 4 of their last 6 albums weren't able to do for the most part...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 16 2012, 10:13 PM)

I don't know. Nick R. did bring about their only good album since CP, so he did something right. The only problem is, while he obviously has some influence, and the band respects him, he may be too much of a fan to let them know when the lyrics don't work, like on songs like Faithless, BU2B, Bravest Face, The Larger Bowl, the unfinished quality of the lyrics on Good News First, etc. Maybe it's unrealistic to expect any producer to have that much say, but there were at least 6 REALLY GREAT songs on S&A. I'd like to think that Nick influenced those in some significant way, so he might be able to coax some more great material out of them, something the producers of 4 of their last 6 albums weren't able to do for the most part...

i think s & a is shit so i disagree with you there but i also think he's too much of a fan where he's overproducing by telling them bring out this and give me that and give me old rush. everything just sounds forced, not enough space, and just doesn't flow for me. i'm glad you enjoy the first 6 and all but i can't listen to it. i'm actually including s & a in my pile of cd's to bring over to a used cd place to try and get some gas money.

Edited by ReflectedLight

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 16 2012, 08:21 PM)

i think s & a is shit so i disagree with you there but i also think he's too much of a fan where he's overproducing by telling them bring out this and give me that and give me old rush. everything just sounds forced, not enough space, and just doesn't flow for me. i'm glad you enjoy the first 6 and all but i can't listen to it. i'm actually including s & a in my pile of cd's to bring over to a used cd place to try and get some gas money.

not the first 6 - the first 3 and the 3 instrumentals.

If I remember well, Nick entered S&A when most of the album was already demoed... while on CA Nick is building the album with Rush.

In my opinion, we're going to listen to their best work since Moving Pictures trink39.gif

Rush is going to invite 120 journalists to listen to CA way before its release... so they could write a review in time for release... I think the boys are so confident on CA they're going to play the whole album live on tour, and they can if 90 of those 120 give 4 or 5 stars on the review... so it must be a masterpiece. If it's less than a masterpiece, 60+ reviews will kill CA laugh.gif

Edited by Alexmai

QUOTE (Alexmai @ Mar 17 2012, 02:23 AM)
In my opinion, we're going to listen to their best work since Moving Pictures  trink39.gif

A lot of people seem to have this point of view, and, honestly, it's a complete mystery to me. confused13.gif

Even if the first two songs were masterpieces (and they're far from that), to think that Rush is capable of an album as consistent and genius as Moving Pictures at this point in their career seems to me to be a serious abuse of optimism.

They haven't made an album that was completely consistent since Power Windows (HYF & CP came close), and they really haven't made an album that was a masterpiece since GUP, which was 28 years ago. Moving Pictures was 31 years ago. Do you know any bands that have made an album 30 years after what's often considered to be their best album where that album was anywhere close to as good as the one from 30 years prior? I can count them on no hands.

QUOTE (Alexmai @ Mar 17 2012, 02:23 AM)
Rush is going to invite 120 journalists to listen to CA way before its release... so they could write a review in time for release... I think the boys are so confident on CA they're going to play the whole album live on tour...

Are they really? I'm not saying I don't believe you, I just must have missed that thread. In terms of the band being "so confident on CA," how many times do they NOT seem over-confident that they've just completed their best work? And how many times in the past 25 years has that actually been anywhere even close to the realm of being correct? (Hint: if you spell out the word for the number of how many times that's happened, it will be 4 letters and will start with a Z.)

In every album Rush insert a song worst than the others... in my opinion, the worst song on CA will be the best of the worst songs since Moving Pictures... it's better, now? laugh.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 16 2012, 10:30 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 16 2012, 08:21 PM)

not the first 6 - the first 3 and the 3 instrumentals.

Some might suggest that as a huge fan, Nick would doesn't look to put his fingerprint on Rush's work, but from what I've seen, he's more than willing to. He pushed Neil in a big way on The Way the Wind Blows, and in my opinion, totally changed ( in a good way ) the direction of the song. I'd imagine that as a huge fan of Neil's, it can't be all that easy to tell him that his drum part needed to be changed. Neil himself has acknowledged that Nick helped turn the way the wind blows from what it wasy, into " what it SHOULD have been ".

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Mar 17 2012, 10:28 AM)
Came to this thread to find news on the new single, found out it's an S&A hate thread. Aren't there enough of these on here already? I want some news!

Here's some news:

Many people thought S&A was a bore.

That is all. laugh.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Mar 17 2012, 07:53 AM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 16 2012, 09:46 PM)

Almost anyone would have been a better choice. I wish they'd bring back their 4th member at least as a cameo.

Wrong. He pretty much single handedly got them to do a concept record again which none of us thought would happen. I don't even think they would be using Taurus Pedals or keys again if it wasn't for Nick. SnA was mostly written when he came on board so I will judge him on this record not SnA.(which still has a lot of classic moments)

QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 17 2012, 02:10 PM)

Almost anyone would have been a better choice. I wish they'd bring back their 4th member at least as a cameo.

Wrong. He pretty much single handedly got them to do a concept record again which none of us thought would happen. I don't even think they would be using Taurus Pedals or keys again if it wasn't for Nick. SnA was mostly written when he came on board so I will judge him on this record not SnA.(which still has a lot of classic moments)

Agree. I've enjoyed Nick's input and ethusiasm. I also think S&A was a fine SOUNDING album from purely a sonic standpoint. Very lush. I mean, we're dealing with a digital record, so it's hardly as lovely sounding to me as Foo's Wasting Light (recorded AND edited on tape -- and I'm not comparing material here, just sonics), but after the sonic disaster that was Vapor Trails, Snakes & Arrows was a fine sounding record. I also prefer the writing as well. I loved the mix of acoustic and electric guitars throughout. Very strong album to me. I hope Clockwork Angels is even in this ballpark. I realize I'm in the minority next to the negative Nellies (waits for Goob to statistically illustrate to me that I'm wrong) on S&A, but every album has its legion of fans and I'm one of S&A. Just like I can't for the life of me understand how anyone can listen to the debut record or Caress of Steel. Hat for every head.

trink39.gif

i don't think so. i think neil had something like this in his little black book for a while and he himself said the streampunk thing he finds interesting. he passed it along to the other two and they went along with it.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 17 2012, 04:48 PM)

i don't think so. i think neil had something like this in his little black book for a while and he himself said the streampunk thing he finds interesting. he passed it along to the other two and they went along with it.

very possible... laugh.gif