Neil's Tales From The Trail, Need your opinions

aviateur55

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neil is shy. He says so right in his books. Not saying his actions are right but I think he's a little on the paranoid side when it comes to fans as well. He even brings up the Dimebag Darrell tragedy in his Roadshow book and says that he's had to deal with obsessed fans that read hidden messages in his lyrics. In defense of Neil that would be a little scary and they could look just like me or you. He takes it a little extreme maybe but I can see where he would be put off when fans follow his bus across multiple States at night so they can get a pic or autograph. I guess that's the price of fame but Neil's always tried to avoid paying it. LOL

I didn't even read through this thread because I know what I'll see. beathorse.gif

To the OP: many celebrities, including Neil - having someone insinuate themselves upon you, wanting an autograph and to be your new BFF is quite distressing.

Just as an example, a friend of mine (a British celeb) had a fan handcuff herself to him. It was terrifying for him. Now, he's not unfriendly, doesn't mind giving an autograph or posing for a picture if it's done under the right circumstances but this sort of thing - and stalkers - is what scares celebs to death. And how are they supposed to tell who will be a "good fan" and who might want to blow the 2 of them up so they can "be together forever"?

You have the music, the books, the essays... more info from Neil than most celebs ever provide directly to their fans. Why do anyone think that they deserve, or worse are owed, more?

How about what Tim Commerford from Rage Against the Machine has to say in Beyond the Lighted Stage, not a fan gushing over him, just one of his peers trying to compliment him in a controlled environment, sounds like it was pretty awkward, and he would not even acknowledge him, so they ushered him out.

And in my humble opinion at a show is exactly where they should expect to come in contact with a fan, just like any sports figure, this is what they get paid to do, and paid very well. From what I have read, Neil acts like it is his private personal sanctuary, and insulates himself from any human contact, he will not participate in any of the meet and greets, where people are screened and the band has complete control, if he would just put a little effort in, it would really go a long way with the fans. If was to be known that at a show and at a show only, he would interact just a little, I am sure people would complete leave him alone every where else, and respect his privacy.

When I went to college at the age of 34 I knew it might be awkward being among all the 18 and 19 year olds. Little did I know that it would be worse than I thought. I did some artwork for a couple of small independent comic book companies in the 1990s. When I let some of my fellow students know about this I was suddenly smothered by disciples. They wouldn't give me a break no matter how I tried to tell them that I couldn't "get them into" the field. It got so bad with one guy that I had to sit down with the the dean of the college and several of his teachers to let him know in no uncertain terms that I was not his mentor, his savior, his ticket to stardom, his freaking messiah. I was near to going Tennessee redneck on his behind. I had earned myself a genuine stalker.

Anybody ever hear of a comic book called Para Troop? I don't expect anyone to, but those kids hounded me like I was John Lennon because I had tasted just a little piece of what they wanted.

Give Neil Peart a little slack. My tinniest piece of fame in my own field pales in comparison to what he has to go through.

I'll say it again loudly. NEIL PEART DOESN'T OWE YOU ANYTHING. Don't agree? Grow up.

HowItIs and drbirdsong have both given "walk in their shoes" stories.

I don't understand why fans don't come to the realization that some celebrities just don't like stardom. It doesn't mean they are bad people. Even though I disagree with Neil on God, I still respect him for sharing his beliefs. Just because I wish he would have been at the one and only meet and greet I will ever get to go to...and was bummed at the time, I now understand him.

You don't have to agree with him or say he is "right", but this disdain that some fans have against Neil just blows my mind. No offense, but it always comes off like a little kid complaining. "I want to get his autograph and a pic and he won't do it! Waaaaaa". Again, I was in that camp early in my RUSH fandom. But at some point you just have to realize Neil is different. He shares in a different way and move on.

Again, we know more about Neil's personal life than we will ever know about Alex or Geddy. I hope someday that both Alex and Geddy write their own autobiographies. But until then, we know Neil better than we do Alex or Geddy. We should be thankful for what Neil shares, not complain about what he doesn't.

Again...just my opinion...take it for what it's worth.

Sometimes people call me on the phone or try to send me a facebook message, and I don't respond because I'm not in the mood to talk... and these are friends of mine, or family even! What if it was a complete stranger who wanted to gawk at me or have a conversation, and what if you're so well known that you have people coming up to you constantly? Should he be penalized for not having a gregarious personality or not wanting to be bothered all the time, especially when he's busy doing something, or especially when a person is going to be over the top, which he never knows when that will be?

I can appreciate having a goal to meet a famous person you admire, if they're open to such meetings or interactions, but to know someone is not and to take personal offense to it is ridiculous.

To anyone who thinks Neil owes them anything other than to do his best on albums and in concerts, you've either seriously over-identified yourself with this band or you really need to get a grip. You might have read every book and blog and interview the man's ever done, and you might have some insight into him, but he doesn't know you AT ALL, and he doesn't owe you anything...

...AT ALL!

Long time member here. I don't post often but check in weekly to see what the community is talking about and whatnot.

But I gotta throw my 2c in here.

Anyone upset, put off or even pissed ( as some of you obviously are) about Neil not wanting to interact directly with you or other fans... what is wrong with you? Seriously.

You already know, being a fan (or not) that he has stated multiple times he is shy, doesn't dig "hero worship" and has had SEVERAL stalker-type incidents yet still you moan about it.

Respect the way the guy is sheesh. He writes intimate books you can choose to read. He blogs every few months about his life and what he and the band have been up to. He has shared more about himself than 99% of any other artist/entertainer I know of.

The only possible explanation is some self-serving sense of entitlement some of you are completely oblivious in recognizing and acknowledging. This is kinda sad and says more about yourself than your immature illusion he owes you, or other fans, something more.

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Mar 2 2012, 11:26 PM)
I didn't even read through this thread because I know what I'll see. beathorse.gif

To the OP: many celebrities, including Neil - having someone insinuate themselves upon you, wanting an autograph and to be your new BFF is quite distressing.

Just as an example, a friend of mine (a British celeb) had a fan handcuff herself to him. It was terrifying for him. Now, he's not unfriendly, doesn't mind giving an autograph or posing for a picture if it's done under the right circumstances but this sort of thing - and stalkers - is what scares celebs to death. And how are they supposed to tell who will be a "good fan" and who might want to blow the 2 of them up so they can "be together forever"?

You have the music, the books, the essays... more info from Neil than most celebs ever provide directly to their fans. Why do anyone think that they deserve, or worse are owed, more?

You know Hugh Grant? Just guessing. He did have a female handcuff herself to him. Saw that story on TV just the other night.

I personally, am not upset, put off, or pissed, I guess I was more disappointed than perturbed after reading that blog. I do not feel anyone I admire owes me anything, especially the guys from Rush. I actually do not have a problem with the way Neil chooses to live his life at this point in his career.

I honestly just wanted to hear other peoples opinions on some of the circumstances that are well known to Rush community, It was not my intention to judge anyone, either by their actions, or opinions. I was just curious what other people thought about the blog, nothing more.

"Cast in this unlikely role

Ill-equipped to act

With insufficient tact

One must put up barriers

To keep oneself intact."

"Living in a fisheye lens,

Caught in the camera eye.

I have no heart to lie

I can't pretend a stranger

Is a long-awaited friend."

'nuf said, leave the guy alone.

Just kind of curious, but does anyone know the history of Neil and his relationships with fans. What I mean is, is there documentation regarding interactions in the early years vs. the mid period vs. now? I can't imagine being in a struggling band (ie, around Caress of Steel) and isolating oneself from the fans you are struggling to accumulate.

For the record, I understand Neil's perspective, and have no problem with it. I don't think I can comprehend being approached by strangers on a constant basis.

QUOTE (zogoto @ Mar 3 2012, 12:24 AM)
Just kind of curious, but does anyone know the history of Neil and his relationships with fans. What I mean is, is there documentation regarding interactions in the early years vs. the mid period vs. now? I can't imagine being in a struggling band (ie, around Caress of Steel) and isolating oneself from the fans you are struggling to accumulate.

Yes, there's a DVD documentary called "Love/Hate (But Mostly Hate) Relationship" having to do solely with the history of Neil Peart and his relationship with fans from the mid 70's up until the present. It's well worth seeing. yes.gif

You can see it here:

www.fanboyswithnolife.com

QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 2 2012, 11:10 PM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Mar 2 2012, 11:26 PM)

You know Hugh Grant? Just guessing. He did have a female handcuff herself to him. Saw that story on TV just the other night.

Yes. That's who I was talking about. It's a scary thing because one simply cannot tell by looking who might be the crazy one. Neither he nor the security spotted anything untoward or "nutty" about this fan. He did manage to keep his composure but it frightened him badly. He and I have had many conversations about celebrity and dealing with it. This helped me to understand how Neil feels about it.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 3 2012, 02:45 AM)
QUOTE (zogoto @ Mar 3 2012, 12:24 AM)

Yes, there's a DVD documentary called "Love/Hate (But Mostly Hate) Relationship" having to do solely with the history of Neil Peart and his relationship with fans from the mid 70's up until the present. It's well worth seeing. yes.gif

You can see it here:

www.fanboyswithnolife.com

That's awfully convenient, maybe someday I will get around to watching it tongue.gif

I am interested more because most of the bands I go see are smaller and the acknowledgment of reliance on fans thus more present. If the number of shirts you sell at a show is directly related to how much gas you can get for heading to the next gig, I think there is a greater motivation to interact with your audience on a personal level. This is compounded with the fact that the number of people in attendance is much smaller, making that connection a bit easier, especially compared to the numbers Rush (or similar bands- Iron Maiden for instance) pull night to night. So my curiousity has more to do with the transition from struggling musician to stardom in a general sense. Neil presents a convenient case due to how open he is about his discomfort with adoration.

edit: grammar

Edited by zogoto

In Beyond The Lighted Stage Neil says that he was the world's biggest Who fan when he was younger, but he would have never dreamed of waiting outside their hotel to meet them. I think he honestly doesn't care for the "fame" part of his career. I imagine if you were to meet him and kept your cool and engaged him a a person instead of a Rock God Drumming Icon it would be a better encounter. He does mention meeting people all the time in his writings, it's just the crazed fans he gets jittery about.

I saw a Hemispheres era interview with Geddy that is on the R30 DVD I think. He mentions meeting one of his heroes and the person was drunk.

Be careful what you wish for.

My wife and I saw Earl Thomas Conley at a club in Nashville a few years ago. I friend of his worked with my wife and asked that if we had a chance would we give him the guy's new phone number. Between sets we approached him and he was nice enough and he was glad to get the telephone number. He was also smashed. I don't know how he could sing in such a high state of inebriation, but he did it. The worst part about the whole thing is that he started hitting on my wife right in front of me like I wasn't there.

There is a LOT of talent in this town. The band at my church are all great musicians and have played with some of the old masters of country music. A few of them are just dripping with outstanding talent and even though we are fellow church members and friends some of them get really self-conscious and embarrassed when I complement them on their singing or playing. It happens at all levels of fame in all fields. Some folks are just uncomfortable with all the attention.

It would be nice if Geddy and Alex were given as much as attention as Neil gets. He's only 33% of the band afterall.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Mar 3 2012, 12:14 PM)
It would be nice if Geddy and Alex were given as much as attention as Neil gets. He's only 33% of the band afterall.

I agree...and aren't you one of the people who constantly talks about Neil? Why don't you start some threads talking about Geddy or Alex?

confused13.gif

Also, since we know MORE about Neil and because he writes the words that they sing, he tends to be the topic more. But 90% of the threads started about him are people bitching and whining about his lyrics or his relationship with the fans.

I have an idea...why don't you stop bad mouthing Neil every thread that pops up, then people like me with a smidgen of sense (yeah, I don't claim to know it all) won't have to respond to your and others just plain rude and dicky comments on Neil. Now you have every right to say them and I hope you don't stop because I enjoy the back and forth...but if the "I hate Neil set" decided to stop making threads and then ripping him constantly...people like me with a little sense wouldn't have to point out how wrong you are! I say that half tongue in cheek and half...give it a rest! Just as you can spout your opinions on Neil and what a jerk he is, I can spout off that you are completely wrong. yes.gif bekloppt.gif

See you in the Next "Neil is a dick for writing a Story about a hero's journey that is really cool but I think the underlying theme is religion bashing so I hate CA and I hate Neil" thread! (maybe if you talk to the mods they will expand the thread title characters so you can get that all in on the title? Just a suggestion. tongue.gif )

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 3 2012, 12:48 PM)

I agree...and aren't you one of the people who constantly talks about Neil? Why don't you start some threads talking about Geddy or Alex?

confused13.gif

Also, since we know MORE about Neil and because he writes the words that they sing, he tends to be the topic more. But 90% of the threads started about him are people bitching and whining about his lyrics or his relationship with the fans.

I have an idea...why don't you stop bad mouthing Neil every thread that pops up, then people like me with a smidgen of sense (yeah, I don't claim to know it all) won't have to respond to your and others just plain rude and dicky comments on Neil. Now you have every right to say them and I hope you don't stop because I enjoy the back and forth...but if the "I hate Neil set" decided to stop making threads and then ripping him constantly...people like me with a little sense wouldn't have to point out how wrong you are! I say that half tongue in cheek and half...give it a rest! Just as you can spout your opinions on Neil and what a jerk he is, I can spout off that you are completely wrong. yes.gif bekloppt.gif

See you in the Next "Neil is a dick for writing a Story about a hero's journey that is really cool but I think the underlying theme is religion bashing so I hate CA and I hate Neil" thread! (maybe if you talk to the mods they will expand the thread title characters so you can get that all in on the title? Just a suggestion. tongue.gif )

trink39.gif

If you've noticed, I haven't started any threads about any of them. I recently mentioned my interest in Geddy's hobby of baseball and Alex's hobby with golf.

Hey, it's easy to criticize Neil since his name is constantly mentioned. If this thread had not started, I probably wouldn't have written anything.

But you just gave me an idea....

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Mar 3 2012, 06:52 PM)

confused13.gif

trink39.gif

If you've noticed, I haven't started any threads about any of them. I recently mentioned my interest in Geddy's hobby of baseball and Alex's hobby with golf.

Hey, it's easy to criticize Neil since his name is constantly mentioned. If this thread had not started, I probably wouldn't have written anything.

I see what your idea was...and honestly the way you wrote it...I can't see anyone taking it serious and not mentioning NeilFinal.gif . That thread is just asking to be derailed. But I did respond in it without using NeilFinal.gif's name. The first paragraph jokingly and what I expect the thread to turn into...the second a serious answer.

Glad I could help change you focus from that "guy who hits things on sticks and rides bikes contemplating the lack of a "sky god" and is "only 33% of the band". By the way, while I don't think RUSH would still be around if there weren't 2 light hearted guys named Alex and Geddy as most musicians have a stick up their a$$ and wouldn't have put up with some of the "loaner" traits that Neil has, I think you are COMPLETELY wrong to say he is only 33% of the band. If you go by 3 people so 33%, technically you are correct. But I submit that Neil is arguably the best drummer to ever play and he writes ALL the lyrics. So I would argue that he is more like 40 to 50% of the band. Geddy plays bass and synth, Alex plays guitar. Neil plays the drums AND writes the lyrics. Without Neil writing the lyrics I don't think we would be here in this forum even discussing RUSH. Have you ever thought what it would have been like if Rutsey had stayed or some other drummer joined but didn't write lyrics? I'm not saying RUSH wouldn't have been successful but think of all the songs that would never have been made. Imagine RUSH w/out 2112 or Hemispheres or Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures or...you get the idea. Of all the RUSH albums the one that I have listened to least and my least favorite is the debut.

So:

NeilFinal.gif = WAY more than 33%, IMO!

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 3 2012, 10:20 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Mar 3 2012, 06:52 PM)

confused13.gif

trink39.gif

I see what your idea was...and honestly the way you wrote it...I can't see anyone taking it serious and not mentioning NeilFinal.gif . That thread is just asking to be derailed. But I did respond in it without using NeilFinal.gif's name. The first paragraph jokingly and what I expect the thread to turn into...the second a serious answer.

Glad I could help change you focus from that "guy who hits things on sticks and rides bikes contemplating the lack of a "sky god" and is "only 33% of the band". By the way, while I don't think RUSH would still be around if there weren't 2 light hearted guys named Alex and Geddy as most musicians have a stick up their a$$ and wouldn't have put up with some of the "loaner" traits that Neil has, I think you are COMPLETELY wrong to say he is only 33% of the band. If you go by 3 people so 33%, technically you are correct. But I submit that Neil is arguably the best drummer to ever play and he writes ALL the lyrics. So I would argue that he is more like 40 to 50% of the band. Geddy plays bass and synth, Alex plays guitar. Neil plays the drums AND writes the lyrics. Without Neil writing the lyrics I don't think we would be here in this forum even discussing RUSH. Have you ever thought what it would have been like if Rutsey had stayed or some other drummer joined but didn't write lyrics? I'm not saying RUSH wouldn't have been successful but think of all the songs that would never have been made. Imagine RUSH w/out 2112 or Hemispheres or Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures or...you get the idea. Of all the RUSH albums the one that I have listened to least and my least favorite is the debut.

So:

NeilFinal.gif = WAY more than 33%, IMO!

Sorry, but no. If there is anyone who gets more than 33% of Rush, that'd be Geddy. Bass, keys, vocals, songwriting, and the determination to keep the band going through a new drummer and the down the tubes tour.

But when it comes down to it, GeddyFinal.gif AlexFinal.gif and NeilFinal.gif are all equally important to the success of Rush. Without any of them, Rush would be a totally different (and maybe less popular) band.

2.gif