Best Decision Geddy has ever Made

losingit2k

I think that Geddy's decision to start singing in a deeper (lower tone) voice since, I'm guessing (moving Pictures) was the best decision of Geddy's and Rush's career. This is probably the reason that Rush is still around today. It has allowed the band to keep recording while prolonging the lungevity of Geddy's Voice. I think they nade another such decision now for Clockwork Angels, Geddy's voice seems deeper than usual on Caravan and BU2B. I think this decision is a much better one than to pitch down the songs during performances. I know that many think they didn't have a choice, but just the fact that Geddy can still hit the high notes on Freewill evey tour is evidence enough that he still has his high range, he has just chosen not to utilize it.

Any thoughts?

confused13.gif

I dont think he had much of a choice. His voice was changing and he wasnt going to be able to sing that high much longer. By 1980, he had already lost some of his high range. Just a natural progression.

I really think it was a decision he made. After recording Hemisphere's, which was so damn high. I feel he knew that to stay in the game pass his 40's he was going to have to change his style of singing and with the exception of Freewill, Permanent Waves was a complete trun around from his high pitch tones.

wink.gif

I agree it was a great decision. Geddy knows the limits of his voice. He is almost sixty and still able to sing the vast majority of their catalogue because he has cared for his instrument. Yes - it cracks and creaks here and there - so what? His tone and pitch are amazingly consistent - and he is still a "belter"

Regardless of his ability at the time of PeW, he was smart enough to know that he could not continue shredding his voice the way he had been doing up to that point. The recording of Hemispheres was a chore - and his vocals suffered during that tour. I'm sure he was ready for a change - and the new songs were better served with a more traditional vocal style.

I disagree, however, with the assertion that he can still sing in a banshee wail but chooses not to. He cannot - and has not been able to for decades - as evidenced by his dreadful attempt at Hemispheres on the CP tour.

Today, he is able to push the high part of Freewill - it's a fun, wink nudge to the old days - but nothing more. He could never sing an entire song in that key night after night.

No - if they choose to do material from the seventies he will have to modify his vocals like he did for Circumstances - and even 2112 back in the 90's. I'm totally down with this - Ged has a cool singing voice no matter what key it's in - and I welcome new interpretations of old material - considering I've heard it all a million times.

He simply can't sing as high as he used to. He can try, but the results are often really bad when he does. Even him singing in a lower register, while better in terms of being off key LESS, still is only a temporary and partially successful solution.

The studio seems to work better, where not only can he take time off beforehand without singing every night or every other night for 3 hours, but also they can do lots of takes and use studio wizardry. Still, the vocals in Caravan and BU2B, while fine, didn't particularly stand out to me as Geddy in his very best voice either.

I think it was just part of the continuing evolution of the band's overall sound. At some point the screaming and really high stuff just didn't sound appropriate anymore. At the time of MP I DONT think that Geddy had lost any of his upper register. He was only in his mid twenties. On ESL his voice sounds great and the higher stuff sounds almost effortless.

QUOTE (Chicken hawk @ Feb 21 2012, 10:06 AM)
I like his voice now, not screaching.

I agree 100%.

I remember when I discovered Rush long ago. The music totally mesmerized me, but getting to like Geddy's screeching voice took a lot of time. I remember NOT liking it, but as I loved the band so much, I learned to accept it.

I wouldn't change Geddy's current voice one bit. He's a far better singer today than he ever was in the past. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Although in an interview with Ged I read within the last few years, he said he can still sing as high as he ever could, he just chooses not to, I don't believe it.

At almost 60 yeas old the vocal chords just cannot stretch like they used to. He hasn't been able to screech for a long time now. He can still hit the high notes when needed which is cool with me. He sounds so much better than other singers of his age.

I think their reluctance to do a lot of the 70's songs is because of his voice and having to alter the songs to a much lower key. Being that this is 2012, I hope they play all of 2112 even in a lower register this tour. It would certainly be the last time we will hear that entire album again, IMHO!

I just finished the section in Chemistry in which Jon Collins discusses how Rupert Hine, as a stipulation for taking on Presto, insisted that Geddy reconsider his vocal approach.

"Half jokingly, Rupert suggested singing the songs a whole octave down. 'You wouldn't even have to change the key!' Both Rupert and Geddy were well aware of the potential dangers of changing style. 'It was a dangerous thing to discuss,' says Rupert. 'I knew they might lose legions of fans, who only bought the records because Geddy was up there in the Robert Plant range and that's what they loved. It wouldn't sound like Geddy Lee anymore.' Geddy, again very bravely, said, 'Well, why don't we experiement, it'll be something new.'"

By the way, since this is my first post, I must add this: Rush Rules!!!

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Feb 21 2012, 11:22 AM)
I just finished the section in Chemistry in which Jon Collins discusses how Rupert Hine, as a stipulation for taking on Presto, insisted that Geddy reconsider his vocal approach.

"Half jokingly, Rupert suggested singing the songs a whole octave down. 'You wouldn't even have to change the key!' Both Rupert and Geddy were well aware of the potential dangers of changing style. 'It was a dangerous thing to discuss,' says Rupert. 'I knew they might lose legions of fans, who only bought the records because Geddy was up there in the Robert Plant range and that's what they loved. It wouldn't sound like Geddy Lee anymore.' Geddy, again very bravely, said, 'Well, why don't we experiement, it'll be something new.'"

By the way, since this is my first post, I must add this: Rush Rules!!!

Well welcome to TRF! Enjoy yourself, the Forum will really take off once we get closer to a new album being release, basically May at this point. However if they release a new song off CA (Clockwork Angels) soon the Forum will also come to a feverish pitch!

trink39.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Feb 20 2012, 11:56 PM)
I dont think he had much of a choice.

yes.gif

I honestly believe that the '98-'02 hiatus was the best thing that happened for his voice, because when they came back for Vapor Trails, he truly was singing as high as he ever could. Seriously, as hard as it is to listen to because of the gritty sound quality, listen to a song or two from VT. That had to have been his highest vocal performance since Hemisphere's. He became quite conservative after Permanent Waves, which did a lot of good in preserving the cords.

Bottom line, the longer the break between albums/tours, the better shape he'll be in. Which, in all honesty, makes me worry about the upcoming Clockwork Angels tour in the Fall. I'd almost be willing to wait another year if it meant preserving his vocals just a little longer.

If he chose not to decide, he still has made a....ahhh c'mon, someone had to do it!

Anyway, I dont think he can consistently hit the high notes anymore and its a natural byproduct of aging. I think the music changed after Hemispheres and the cat with its ass on fire screech didnt fit anymore.

Its ok with me and when they have to drop tune for older songs, Im ok with that. Im in a couple of cover bands and my singers have to do it all the time in order to do the songs.

QUOTE (ShowgunSam @ Feb 21 2012, 03:27 PM)
I honestly believe that the '98-'02 hiatus was the best thing that happened for his voice, because when they came back for Vapor Trails, he truly was singing as high as he ever could. Seriously, as hard as it is to listen to because of the gritty sound quality, listen to a song or two from VT. That had to have been his highest vocal performance since Hemisphere's. He became quite conservative after Permanent Waves, which did a lot of good in preserving the cords.

Bottom line, the longer the break between albums/tours, the better shape he'll be in. Which, in all honesty, makes me worry about the upcoming Clockwork Angels tour in the Fall. I'd almost be willing to wait another year if it meant preserving his vocals just a little longer.

Outstanding post

If you listen to boots from the Hemispheres tour, he was really struggling to sing that live every night. It was too high for long stretches and it really tires down the vocal chords.

He didnt really have a lot of choice knowing at that point they would probably have a long career ahead of them.

And now on the new songs he's singing very low. Definitely a smart decision.

QUOTE (trenken @ Feb 25 2012, 01:45 PM)
If you listen to boots from the Hemispheres tour, he was really struggling to sing that live every night. It was too high for long stretches and it really tires down the vocal chords.

He didnt really have a lot of choice knowing at that point they would probably have a long career ahead of them.

I. Completely. Agree.

Lets drink smile.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Feb 25 2012, 10:27 PM)
I like his voice now, but I think his peak was the mid 80's - early 90's. His 70's voice was good but he sounded more natural singing deeper.

I completely Agree! His best vocal performances was Between HYF & CP!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Re the new album, I definitely recall reading something from Nick R ( back when they were first discussing the plans for the album ) about how he was going to push them to give him "old rush", with Geddy's voice up high, and neil's drums dominating.

I can't see how Ged could pull off the old voice, and Neil's drumming has become less agressive as he's aged.

That said, I think the album will be very strong.

QUOTE (Phantom @ Feb 26 2012, 07:19 AM)

Re the new album, I definitely recall reading something from Nick R ( back when they were first discussing the plans for the album ) about how he was going to push them to give him "old rush", with Geddy's voice up high, and neil's drums dominating.

I can't see how Ged could pull off the old voice, and Neil's drumming has become less agressive as he's aged.

That said, I think the album will be very strong.

Well if the first tow songs are any indication of what's to come, I believe Nick has achieved 50% of his goal. You can't change Geddy's voice but you can demand more from Neil!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif