The Official Anathema Thread

adace1

I'm not liking this new direction at all, and I miss those guitars so much, Danny is a very talented player after all. They even sound like a poor man's Radiohead at times. Nope, not for me, but I applaude them for stretching out, I knew it was gonna happen sooner or later anyway. I was surprised to hear how old a few of those tracks are as well. I think they should've waited a while longer between albums and progressed less radically in style. Whatever, you lose a few, you gain a few. I still love two of their later albums and those are what I will cherish. Edited by Steevo

Longer, one minute samples here:

http://de.7digital.com/artist/anathema/release/distant-satellites

Someone on last.fm who has heard the album said that these samples, even the longer ones, are mostly from the beginning of the songs and don't really represent the songs too well. They also said that there's some heavy guitar riffs and the album sounds a lot different than WHBWH and WS.

Longer, one minute samples here:

http://de.7digital.c...tant-satellites

Someone on last.fm who has heard the album said that these samples, even the longer ones, are mostly from the beginning of the songs and don't really represent the songs too well. They also said that there's some heavy guitar riffs and the album sounds a lot different than WHBWH and WS.

I want to be proven wrong, they just sound like they've moved on. If it is different from We're Here and Weather Systems I doubt I will like it.

I want to be proven wrong, they just sound like they've moved on. If it is different from We're Here and Weather Systems I doubt I will like it.

If you like the musical direction of WHBWH and WS, what you think of Alternative 4 through A Natural Disaster? Assuming that you've heard some if not all of those albums. It's interesting to see how some Anathema fans are more partial to a particular era of the band but quite honestly, I like all of their albums (sans the first one cause I've never heard it yet).

Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 1

If you like the musical direction of WHBWH and WS, what you think of Alternative 4 through A Natural Disaster? Assuming that you've heard some if not all of those albums. It's interesting to see how some Anathema fans are more partial to a particular era of the band but quite honestly, I like all of their albums (sans the first one cause I've never heard it yet).

Yeah I find it interesting too. I have heard all the early albums. Nat Disaster was patchy, I only liked it for a few tracks. I have found it rare that their fans like everything they have done, they're usually split. Good for you.

Samples seem to suggest little change in direction from the last two albums.

What? There's a mass of difference. The last two albums were not weak at all.

Quite the opposite but this just sounds same old same old.

I really love the new album. The Lost Song Pt. 2 and Ariel are probably some of the best songs they've done. You're Not Alone, on the other hand, is probably one of their worst. Overall DS isn't quite as good as the two albums that preceded it but it's still excellent.

Edit: The album stream is up. http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/anathema-exclusive-album-stream-get-a-first-listen-to-the-bands-new-record-distant-satellites-9487235.html?dkdk

Edited by adace1

I've listened to the album twice now and I just can't get into it.

It's almost like someone made an album taking the piss out of Anathema.

Well that's what I've been saying all along! It's awful. I can't defend them this time.

I have to say, when I first heard "We're Here Because We're Here" it didn't totally get me at first. Then I came around and opened up my ears to what it was - and I came to recognize it as a masterpiece. When "Weather Systems" came out, I went through the same thing. I actually didn't think it was as good - but again I came around to hear it as a masterpiece. Will the new disc reach these highs? Only time will tell, but my first impression is extremely favorable. Such a great range of emotion - it's like a super intense movie. Amazing stuff
  • Like 1