I like Rush

The Killer Rabbit

I was sitting here thinking what my life would have been like without ever hearing Rush..

Its quite depresing of a thought actually.

Can you imaging it, I mean its just a friggin bad thought.

It goes deep man, Im telling you.

The nights running the observatory without hearing xanadu or cygnus X-1, (I run an observatory), or any of their epics would have been made empty by listening to yanni. tongue.gif It could have been waaay differant my bretheran

It isnt just their music. After 22 years of not missing a concert when they come to town, one cant just not look at who these three indiviuals are. They are three differant charectors making it work for the long haul, and that means something to me. They are a constant I can rely on. A marriage that didnt fail.

Three distant brothers of a kindred kind.

With my real job being a semi truck driver, I have seen Rush on the road a few times.

Once in Ajax Ontario at the Audi BMW plant where I was delivering to where ALex was checking out a car, and another time as I seen ALex in the front seat of the tour bus heading into chicago for their last tour going over the skyway... I remember calling my girl asking where Rush had their next tour date, and she confirmed..HA!!

But back to the part that really matters to me, they have inspired my analytical inquisitive heart to pursue perfection in my daily quest for my passions, to pursue a dream by hard work with an articulate template and honesty to a fault. I just dont see any other prog band really doing that for me, not to knock them or anything, Im just sayin.

I just, I dunno.. had to say all this today and still, I feel I hadnt stated enough.

You know what I mean right?

anyways, I gotta roll

Thanks for the ear, and I like Rush

TKR

Great post!!!!

During my high school years, Rush meant so much to me. It was pretty much my identity. I will always be remembered as the guy who wore a Rush shirt 3-4 days a week.

If it weren't for Rush, I don't know if I would have had the motivation or passion to learn to play guitar.

There are many bands that I love today, but you always remember your first love. They will always have a special place in my heart.

Rush is the only band whose music and lyrics had a mystical effect on me. When I was younger, I was certain that Rush was helping me know the secrets of the universe and beyond. The Camera Eye was the watershed event; I must have played that song everyday for five years or so...... laugh.gif

Workaholic, you nailed it on the head! I cant remember my first favorite Rush song, I liked alot all at once after my first show.

I think the one that really has an impact on me til this day is "Mission" (lyrically), the instrumentation exclamates the point of course.

Somehow this song explains me to a T. Whatever I put my heart into that interests me, I go all at it and I cannot stop once I start building.

I become madly obsessed and ride a wave of an energy, sometimes it falls in place, other times, it crashes to the ground.

I am never more happily alive when I am in that energy though, and Rush definetley has that for me

Those moments are lonely, but at the same time, they are fulfilling.

Once I have accoplished what I have set out to do, I share it, but no one can seem to respect it as much as your own self, becasue you know the toil and what you have seen.

What is sad to me, is that many people dont know this fire, I wish I could share it with all, but too many are self absorbed to know their potential.

Yes, "Mission" might mean more to me then some.

Marathon was another that effected me ...actually there are so many songs.

If it wasnt for Neil..lol. I wish I could just not meet him as a fan, but alas, One must put up barriers to keep oneself intact..hes awesome!

I always call it my Eve bit the apple moment, when I first found the cassette for Hemispheres in my Dads basement. He didnt like it by the way. I was 12 maybe, and it basically made me aware musically for the first time. Inspired me to read and write lyrics, and of course to want to play drums. RUSH started it all 33 years ago for me, and they are still inspiring and delighting me...

user posted image

Well, up until my first show about a year and a half ago, I WAS living without Rush - I'd grown up with their hits in childhood, and had a good friend in high school who loved them, but he and his buddies went to the RTB tour without me. I lost track of them for 19 years after that, only catching up when they came back to Syracuse in September '10. When I saw that show, I was brought back to life...I'd had no idea how much I'd been drained by "circumstances" of recent years. I'm animated now, more focused, confident, and determined than I've been in a long time.

Interesting that you run an observatory - my boyfriend is a member of the Syracuse Astronomical Society, and we regularly go up to their Darling Hill Observatory. I'm sure it's much smaller than what you're in charge of, but it's a great experience. Would love to talk more astronomy with you!

And Marathon is my favorite Rush song...that is just the perfect, perfect song (well, for me anyway).

Welcome to TRF! Hope to see you around more, and maybe cross paths on the CA tour, now that going to Rush shows is a big priority for me! 2.gif

Thanks 1 of teh 7, Ive been here for quite some time and am a lurker. Its been awhile since I posted anything though.

My observatory isnt big, and its rather smallish, but its a work in progress always. Im actually upgrading it with a live all-sky camera to capture the aurora, or meteors, and putting it on a website for all to see eventually all remote desktop controlled. Id like it to be interactive. Time is all I need.

Actually Rush got me into astronomy with the Cygnus x-1 tune.

I wanted to know where the black hole was lol. After that I was obsessed with picture taking and the astrophysics behind it all.

I debated to name the observatory something Rush related just because Im a fanatic like that and feel I owe them something.

The Cygnus x-1 observatory, The rocinante...I dunno

They might find it amusing to know they have an observatory named after something they have done.

Heres a link to some pics I took with the telescope etc: http://winorthwoodsobservatory.smugmug.com/

I used to live in Niagara Falls in NY so I know the area somewhat, I miss everything out that way, cept for the garbage hole Niagara Falls is (US side).

The Canadians definetley have it goin on on their side for sure! In fact, thats where my girlfriend of 11 years lives. She takes me to St Cats to goto lakeside park sometimes which is a must goto for Rush fans! the carousel is still there and it was 5 cents when I went last...ah memories:D

QUOTE (The Killer Rabbit @ Jan 26 2012, 11:48 PM)
Thanks 1 of teh 7, Ive been here for quite some time and am a lurker. Its been awhile since I posted anything though.

My observatory isnt big, and its rather smallish, but its a work in progress always. Im actually upgrading it with a live all-sky camera to capture the aurora, or meteors, and putting it on a website for all to see eventually all remote desktop controlled. Id like it to be interactive. Time is all I need.

Actually Rush got me into astronomy with the Cygnus x-1 tune.
I wanted to know where the black hole was lol. After that I was obsessed with picture taking and the astrophysics behind it all.

I debated to name the observatory something Rush related just because Im a fanatic like that and feel I owe them something.

The Cygnus x-1 observatory, The rocinante...I dunno
They might find it amusing to know they have an observatory named after something they have done.

Heres a link to some pics I took with the telescope etc: http://winorthwoodsobservatory.smugmug.com/

I used to live in Niagara Falls in NY so I know the area somewhat, I miss everything out that way, cept for the garbage hole Niagara Falls is (US side).
The Canadians definetley have it goin on on their side for sure! In fact, thats where my girlfriend of 11 years lives. She takes me to St Cats to goto lakeside park sometimes which is a must goto for Rush fans! the carousel is still there and it was 5 cents when I went last...ah memories:D

wow, been a while since I was impressed by another photographer(RIP Andrew) awesome stuff...

Id go with Rocinante Telescopic Eye Center...heh

QUOTE (The Killer Rabbit @ Jan 27 2012, 12:02 AM)
Dude, thats priceless! Im laughing hard now. I really do kinda like that.
I dunno...that might stick

I want a t-shirt when ya make em

The possibilities! I dont know if Rush comes over the top of the UP of Mi or not to get to WI, but if they did to get to Milwaukee, they would have to go past my house when they enter Wisconsin.

I can imagine Alex would be like "WTF" if he saw a sign outside saying Rocinante Telescopic Eye Center. That might be Neils run as that is the scenic route also, but hed prob only stop for a pic if that.

One can dream.

I think their route is either 80/90 from NY through Illinois, or 401 through to Detroit, then 94 west to 80/90 to I94. I know I saw them on the Skyway last tour in Gary Indiana as they were coming into Chi town.

Soundtrack to my life is a bit cliched, but they are as close to that as any other band. I discovered them around 1974/75 and became a huge fan instantly. I was 14 or so when I first heard them and the music from those years of your life remains with you forever. Geddy lived very close to me back then and I remember riding my bike with friends and hanging around across from his house hoping to catch a glimpse. Never did but the music was always there in those formative years. I proudly wore their t-shirts in high school.

QUOTE (The Killer Rabbit @ Jan 26 2012, 12:59 PM)
I was sitting here thinking what my life would have been like without ever hearing Rush..

Its quite depresing of a thought actually.
Can you imaging it, I mean its just a friggin bad thought.

It goes deep man, Im telling you.
The nights running the observatory without hearing xanadu or cygnus X-1, (I run an observatory), or any of their epics would have been made empty by listening to yanni. tongue.gif It could have been waaay differant my bretheran

It isnt just their music. After 22 years of not missing a concert when they come to town, one cant just not look at who these three indiviuals are. They are three differant charectors making it work for the long haul, and that means something to me. They are a constant I can rely on. A marriage that didnt fail.
Three distant brothers of a kindred kind.

With my real job being a semi truck driver, I have seen Rush on the road a few times.
Once in Ajax Ontario at the Audi BMW plant where I was delivering to where ALex was checking out a car, and another time as I seen ALex in the front seat of the tour bus heading into chicago for their last tour going over the skyway... I remember calling my girl asking where Rush had their next tour date, and she confirmed..HA!!

But back to the part that really matters to me, they have inspired my analytical inquisitive heart to pursue perfection in my daily quest for my passions, to pursue a dream by hard work with an articulate template and honesty to a fault. I just dont see any other prog band really doing that for me, not to knock them or anything, Im just sayin.

I just, I dunno.. had to say all this today and still, I feel I hadnt stated enough.
You know what I mean right?
anyways, I gotta roll
Thanks for the ear, and I like Rush
TKR

I used to star/planet-gaze during the cold winter nights of '78/'79 with my little hobby telescope. It was during the time I discovered Rush through ATWAS. That 8-track played through my mind nearly every night there was a clear sky. What great memories.

Honestly I couldn't imagine my life without Rush either. There was a tine when I didn't think I could ever listen to rock again let alone be a fan of a rock band! (long story!)

They mean more than I can say.

wub.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (The Killer Rabbit @ Jan 26 2012, 11:48 PM)

Cool pics! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I've never actually seen the aurora and really hope I do before my time is up! You'd think living in a northerly state, I would have, but alas...

I want to go to St. Catherine's and Toronto for so many reasons - Lakeside Park, RushCon (unless they have it somewhere else, which is likely), the notable Rush places of interest, and it's my most likely chance to see a Rush tribute band (there, or Boston). Heck, maybe I'll see Rush there next tour!