What Foreign Language films do you recommend?

Presto-a RUSH fan!

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Jan 27 2012, 10:50 PM)
QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jan 24 2012, 01:25 AM)
Ingmar Bergman is one of my favorite directors. For newbies I'd recommend Persona, Wild Strawberries, Cries and Whispers, The Virgin Spring and of course The Seventh Seal. If you like any of those then check out his other films as well- Fanny & Alexander, Scenes From a Marriage, Hour of the Wolf, The Magician etc. His films are brilliant and deep. If you're looking for something fast paced and has action packed he may not be for you. If you're interested in foreign films there no better director to start with. bekloppt.gif

Great director. I never understood those who "didn't get" him because I think he's one of the pioneers international cinema. Next to Alfred Hitchcock, he's one of my favorite directors, especially his 50s-early 60s films, his style of filmmaking appealed to me; mysterious yet eye appealing, almost surreal in a way. I still regard The Seventh Seal as not only one of my favorite movies of all time, but also one of the most beautifully shot films I've seen.

trink39.gif Huge fan of Hitchcock too. My two favorite directors.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 27 2012, 12:42 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 27 2012, 12:33 AM)
QUOTE (goose @ Jan 26 2012, 09:28 PM)
Wings of Desire

This is one of my top five movies of all time. Most is in German, but some is in French and some even in English. Much of it is black and white, but some of it is in color. It's the original movie that City of Angels was based on, about angels on the earth, but this is SOOOOO much better than the bastardized version with Nicolas Cage and Meg Ryan.

Warning - the movie is long, slow and ponderous, but it's also incredibly deep and moving. It's more of an experience than a movie IMHO...

Agree. Great movie. That was directed by Wim Wenders, right?

I knew to stay away from the Nic Cage & Meg Ryan re-make.

Fritz Lang
M (1931) A psychotic child murderer stalks a city.

Is that the one where the killer listens to "Peter and the Wolf" before attacking little boys? wacko.gif

The infamous whistling...

Great film!

And Metropolis. yes.gif

Well, I've obviously got alot of Foreign language films to catch up on, but I just finished the Swedish "Millennium Trilogy",

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

The Girl Who Played With Fire

The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest

and all I have to say is...WOW.

Three amazing movies! I can't recommend them highly enough. I hope the American versions do this series justice. I may get the novels and read them because they are obviously alot more detailed.

I was looking into this to see if there was a part 4 and I found the following sad info. Obviously because the author died so young (50 yrs old) and because we lost out on some more epic books and movies. Sounds like he was actually a real life "Mikael Blomkvist". This is copied and pasted from Wikipedia:

Unfinished material

Larsson wrote about three-quarters of a fourth novel before his sudden death in November 2004. His partner, Eva Gabrielsson, is in possession of the notebook computer with the manuscript but does not own the rights to Larsson's work. This is because Larsson, in an attempt to protect Gabrielsson from the people he was investigating in real life (Swedish Neo-Nazis and racists), never married and wrote his will without any witness (thus making it invalid according to Swedish law). Thus, at his death, it is his family that ended with the succession.[13] Outlines or manuscripts for one or two more books may exist.[9]

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Jan 30 2012, 05:27 PM)
Anyway, to anyone who hasn't seen the Swedish versions of these 3 movies, if you like great movies, then just rent them. You won't be disappointed.

What is going to bother me is that American audiences will just skip the Swedish versions or not know about them and think that they came from America. That said, I have a feeling the American versions with Daniel Craig and that actress they have playing Lisbeth, will be very good too.

Take it from someone who loved the Swedish films and feared that Hollywood was going to wreck the franchise: the American movie was very very good, perhaps even better than the Swedish version. I can't decide which is better, but I'm siding with the American version since it's more fresh in my mind.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 31 2012, 02:11 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Jan 30 2012, 05:27 PM)
Anyway, to anyone who hasn't seen the Swedish versions of these 3 movies, if you like great movies, then just rent them.  You won't be disappointed.

What is going to bother me is that American audiences will just skip the Swedish versions or not know about them and think that they came from America.  That said, I have a feeling the American versions with Daniel Craig and that actress they have playing Lisbeth, will be very good too.

Take it from someone who loved the Swedish films and feared that Hollywood was going to wreck the franchise: the American movie was very very good, perhaps even better than the Swedish version. I can't decide which is better, but I'm siding with the American version since it's more fresh in my mind.

Wow...that's good to hear. I figured that with how good the Swedish ones were they would take it very serious. And Daniel Craig i think fits the role better, as far as the girl, I don't know.

Does it take place in America or just an english speaking country?

QUOTE (goose @ Jan 27 2012, 12:28 AM)
Funny Games

The Vanishing

Wings of Desire

Knife in the Water

Here are some examples of my memory being great and sucking at the same time.

I am scanning thru Foreign films on Netflix with my bluray and I see "Funny Games". I REMEMBER someone recommending it to me in this thread.

So I start watching it and I am like, "I swear I have seen this movie!" But I know I couldn't have because I'd remember seeing a Austrian film like this. So I keep watching.

At this point I am REMEMBERING scenes almost exactly as they are happening. But I am like, I know I haven't seen this.

So then I REMEMBER that I saw an American film just like this one. And as the movie continues I am like, wtf is the name of that movie that is basically shot for shot the same as this?

I think "The Strangers". No, that had Liv Tyler, totally different. So I am just going back and forth in my mind as I know every single thing that is happening and going to happen and I am just trying to remember, what the American version was called. What was the f-ing name????

So finally after finishing the movie, I look up Funny Games on Wikipedia, and guess what, there was an American version called....Funny Games! Anyway, I click on the American version link, and it literally says, a shot for shot remake of the Austrian film. (I remembered that!)

So what I am saying is, I have a good memory, kinda? fing.gif

Oh, and the movie, well it was a pretty good psychological horror film and very dark. But having seen both versions now, I suggest to future watchers of any movie called "Funny Games" to make sure they haven't seen the other one....called Funny Games!

The next movie I can't wait to see is The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo that just came out in US theaters. Dang, that sounds so familiar to me? tongue.gif

Edited because my english sucks almost as bad as my memory!

Edited by Presto-a RUSH fan!

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Feb 2 2012, 05:57 AM)
Funny Games

The Vanishing

Wings of Desire

Knife in the Water

I am scanning thru Foreign films on Netflix with my bluray and I see "Funny Games". I REMEMBER someone recommending it to me in this thread.

So I start watching it and I am like, "I swear I have seen this movie!" But I know I couldn't have because I'd remember seeing a Austrian film like this. So I keep watching.

At this point I am REMEMBERING scenes almost exactly as they are happening. But I am like, I know I haven't seen this.

So then I REMEMBER that I saw an American film just like this one. And as the movie continues I am like, wtf is the name of that movie that is basically shot for shot the same as this?

I think "The Strangers". No, that had Liv Tyler, totally different. So I am just going back and forth in my mind as I know every single thing that is happening and going to happen and I am just trying to remember, what the American version was called. What was the f-ing name????

So finally after finishing the movie, I look up Funny Games on Wikipedia, and guess what, there was an American version called....Funny Games! Anyway, I click on the American version link, and it literally says, a shot for shot remake of the Austrian film. (I remembered that!)

rofl3.gif

Too much trink38.gif or cool10.gif over the years?

PARF - this movie isn't foreign language, but I thought you might like it. It is, however, directed by Franco Zeffirelli, a great Italian director, and shot in Italy.

It's the story (or part of the story) of St. Francis of Assisi (whom I couldn't help but notice is quoted in your sig). It's another of my top five movies of all time (along with Wings of Desire which I mentioned above). It's a really beautiful story/movie, and has a great soundtrack by Donovan (which sadly was never officially released). A classic from 1972!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 27 2012, 02:33 PM)
QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Jan 23 2012, 08:24 PM)
The City Of Lost Children

This is truly an amazing movie. Surreal as all get out, but really brilliant.

Yeah, one of the few truly weird movies that doesn't seem like it's trying to be. I don't know about "brilliant" but it's as good as it is bizarre. yes.gif

Thinking of Ron Perlman (and not at all like City...), how about Quest for Fire? I think that was a French film...though nobody spoke French or any other known language for that matter.

http://ricksflickspicks.animationblogspot.com/files/2006/11/QuestForFire.jpg

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Feb 5 2012, 03:18 AM)

Yeah, one of the few truly weird movies that doesn't seem like it's trying to be. I don't know about "brilliant" but it's as good as it is bizarre. yes.gif

Thinking of Ron Perlman (and not at all like City...), how about Quest for Fire? I think that was a French film...though nobody spoke French or any other known language for that matter.

Talking of Ron Perlman what about Cronos the Mexican horror film in Spanish...

trink36.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 5 2012, 05:26 PM)

trink36.gif

Never heard of it but I'd watch it just because he's in it.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Feb 5 2012, 03:34 AM)

trink36.gif

Yeah you need to see that JB it's pretty good. It came out around 1993. Ron plays a pretty bad ass dude who fuucks a few fools up! Guillermo del Toro is the director.

I watched it fairly recently, it's nicely photographed, pretty weird, a little black humour and a decent plot.

AlienSmiley.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 5 2012, 05:39 PM)

trink36.gif

Yeah you need to see that JB it's pretty good. It came out around 1993. Ron plays a pretty bad ass dude who fuucks a few fools up! Guillermo del Toro is the director.

I watched it fairly recently, it's nicely photographed, pretty weird, a little black humour and a decent plot.

AlienSmiley.gif

yeah, i should do eh trink38.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Feb 5 2012, 03:45 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 5 2012, 05:39 PM)

trink36.gif

AlienSmiley.gif

yeah, i should do eh trink38.gif

Here's Ron in action in the film...

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/7718/perlmanpissed.jpg

What about Nell? "Tay-ay inna weeyun." tongue.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Feb 4 2012, 11:44 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Feb 2 2012, 05:57 AM)
Funny Games

The Vanishing

Wings of Desire

Knife in the Water

rofl3.gif

Too much trink38.gif or cool10.gif over the years?

Yeah...I'd say a little too much cool10.gif in my earlier years!

cool.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 5 2012, 02:17 AM)
PARF - this movie isn't foreign language, but I thought you might like it. It is, however, directed by Franco Zeffirelli, a great Italian director, and shot in Italy.

It's the story (or part of the story) of St. Francis of Assisi (whom I couldn't help but notice is quoted in your sig). It's another of my top five movies of all time (along with Wings of Desire which I mentioned above). It's a really beautiful story/movie, and has a great soundtrack by Donovan (which sadly was never officially released). A classic from 1972!

Did I miss something? What is the name of the movie? confused13.gif

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Feb 5 2012, 06:42 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 5 2012, 02:17 AM)
PARF - this movie isn't foreign language, but I thought you might like it.  It is, however, directed by Franco Zeffirelli, a great Italian director, and shot in Italy.

It's the story (or part of the story) of St. Francis of Assisi (whom I couldn't help but notice is quoted in your sig).  It's another of my top five movies of all time (along with Wings of Desire which I mentioned above).  It's a really beautiful story/movie, and has a great soundtrack by Donovan (which sadly was never officially released).  A classic from 1972!

Did I miss something? What is the name of the movie? confused13.gif

Oh, oops.gif !

It's called "Brother Sun, Sister Moon"