Alice Cooper

NobodysHeroine

Since I've been getting into Cooper's classic albums a bit over the past few weeks, I happened to look into his touring schedule and noticed I might (maybe) be able to make a show of his around Thanksgiving this year. So is the general consensus that his live show is worth seeing?

f**k yeah it is. What kind of stupid question is that? Lol

The guy rarely takes long breaks from the road so him and his band are always in top form. He's switched up his setlist too. He's always been great at mixing the hits with the deep cuts.

Rank the Alice Cooper studio albums from the debut to the latest.

Ha! As you may have noticed, I usually don't participate in the rank albums threads. Mainly because I find them hard to do once an artist has more than 10. Cooper has like 30 of them, no way I'm going to try and compile a list that big. Maybe the cat can do it.

He could take up the slack!

Are you a Cooper fan? I don't recall you ever talking about or listening to him much.

No but I've always liked the idea of his stuff. He's another of those artists like the Stones that I totally missed out on. I just never got around to him. Now obviously the Stones are now in my sights, could Alice be too?

Just give Killer or Billion Dollar Babies a listen and then you'll know whether you want more I think. I suppose Welcome To My Nightmare would also be a good test.

Give us your top Alice albums.

He just discovered Cooper last year, he don't know nothing yet lol.

Top albums:

Love It To Death

Killer

Billion Dollar Babies

Welcome To My Nightmare

From The Inside

The Last Temptation

Brutal Planet

Dragontown

• Like 2

Since I've been getting into Cooper's classic albums a bit over the past few weeks, I happened to look into his touring schedule and noticed I might (maybe) be able to make a show of his around Thanksgiving this year. So is the general consensus that his live show is worth seeing?

The guy rarely takes long breaks from the road so him and his band are always in top form. He's switched up his setlist too. He's always been great at mixing the hits with the deep cuts.

Ha! As you may have noticed, I usually don't participate in the rank albums threads. Mainly because I find them hard to do once an artist has more than 10. Cooper has like 30 of them, no way I'm going to try and compile a list that big. Maybe the cat can do it.

Are you a Cooper fan? I don't recall you ever talking about or listening to him much.

No but I've always liked the idea of his stuff. He's another of those artists like the Stones that I totally missed out on. I just never got around to him. Now obviously the Stones are now in my sights, could Alice be too?

Just give Killer or Billion Dollar Babies a listen and then you'll know whether you want more I think. I suppose Welcome To My Nightmare would also be a good test.

Top albums:

Love It To Death

Killer

Billion Dollar Babies

Welcome To My Nightmare

From The Inside

The Last Temptation

Brutal Planet

Dragontown

I mean yeah, I only have about 5 or 6 albums, but I love all of them! The Last Temptation is sick!

• Like 2

Top albums:

Love It To Death

Killer

Billion Dollar Babies

Welcome To My Nightmare

From The Inside

The Last Temptation

Brutal Planet

Dragontown

Which are the most heavy metal of his albums?

I remember there used to be a guy who was in Asia at one point and he was also playing with Alice Cooper, Al Pitrelli. Wasn't he on the Constrictor album?

Top albums:

Love It To Death

Killer

Billion Dollar Babies

Welcome To My Nightmare

From The Inside

The Last Temptation

Brutal Planet

Dragontown

I remember there used to be a guy who was in Asia at one point and he was also playing with Alice Cooper, Al Pitrelli. Wasn't he on the Constrictor album?

If you're looking for metal than you'll really enjoy his albums Constrictor, Raise Your Fist and Yell, Trash and Hey Stoopid. This covers his run of albums from 86-91. All have the metal sound of that time period.

Brutal Planet and Dragontown are very metal too. Those came out in 2000 and 2001, so the metal tone is a bit heavier and darker.

• Like 2

Top albums:

Love It To Death

Killer

Billion Dollar Babies

Welcome To My Nightmare

From The Inside

The Last Temptation

Brutal Planet

Dragontown

I mean yeah, I only have about 5 or 6 albums, but I love all of them! The Last Temptation is sick!

The Last Temptation is one of his best. Unfortunately, it was largely ignored because it was released during the height of grunge.

• Like 2

Top albums:

Love It To Death

Killer

Billion Dollar Babies

Welcome To My Nightmare

From The Inside

The Last Temptation

Brutal Planet

Dragontown

If you're looking for metal than you'll really enjoy his albums Constrictor, Raise Your Fist and Yell, Trash and Hey Stoopid. This covers his run of albums from 86-91. All have the metal sound of that time period.

Brutal Planet and Dragontown are very metal too. Those came out in 2000 and 2001, so the metal tone is a bit heavier and darker.

Yeah I was looking at that period, I remember some of that stuff, so yeah that's a batch of his albums that I would get.

Which albums are the absolute worst would you say? I seem to remember Alice fans moaning about his early 80's stuff.

Top albums:

Love It To Death

Killer

Billion Dollar Babies

Welcome To My Nightmare

From The Inside

The Last Temptation

Brutal Planet

Dragontown

The Last Temptation is one of his best. Unfortunately, it was largely ignored because it was released during the height of grunge.

Which is strange, because Chris Cornell features on that record as a co-songwriter and backup singer. That plus the pretty heavy production and brooding but catchy songs ought to have given it the grunge fan seal of approval, but maybe that song with Jack Blades and Tommy Shaw on it was too much for the Alice In Chains crowd.

Top albums:

Love It To Death

Killer

Billion Dollar Babies

Welcome To My Nightmare

From The Inside

The Last Temptation

Brutal Planet

Dragontown

Which is strange, because Chris Cornell features on that record as a co-songwriter and backup singer. That plus the pretty heavy production and brooding but catchy songs ought to have given it the grunge fan seal of approval, but maybe that song with Jack Blades and Tommy Shaw on it was too much for the Alice In Chains crowd.

Cornell co-writing and guesting on two tracks wasn't enough to get people to pay attention to Cooper at that time. He was considered old and not cool at that point. Grunge got so huge that nobody seemed to care about what came before it. Of course, I was a teenager at the time, so that could have just been what the high school and college kids thought about the old school at that time. But even grown ups had moved on from Cooper by 1994.

Top albums:

Love It To Death

Killer

Billion Dollar Babies

Welcome To My Nightmare

From The Inside

The Last Temptation

Brutal Planet

Dragontown

Yeah I was looking at that period, I remember some of that stuff, so yeah that's a batch of his albums that I would get.

Which albums are the absolute worst would you say? I seem to remember Alice fans moaning about his early 80's stuff.

His worst are definitely Special Forces (1981) and Zipper Catches Skin (1982). Cooper was at the height of his alcohol addiction and it really showed on those two. Overall just bad songs and a lot of bad attempts at being funny. However, he did manage to put it together enough to make his 1983 album Dada, surprisingly good. Although on that album you can really hear how bad his alcohol problem was. He sings the whole album blackout drunk and you can tell by his voice he was wasted beyond belief when recording. In fact, he was so heavily into the bottle at that time, he doesn't even remember recording Zipper or Dada. He never toured for either album and none of the songs have been played live I don't think. Alice simply remembers nothing about those two releases.

He went to rehab and was close to death when he got there. He got clean and came back in 1986 and he has been sober ever since.

• Like 1

Top albums:

Love It To Death

Killer

Billion Dollar Babies

Welcome To My Nightmare

From The Inside

The Last Temptation

Brutal Planet

Dragontown

Cornell co-writing and guesting on two tracks wasn't enough to get people to pay attention to Cooper at that time. He was considered old and not cool at that point. Grunge got so huge that nobody seemed to care about what came before it. Of course, I was a teenager at the time, so that could have just been what the high school and college kids thought about the old school at that time. But even grown ups had moved on from Cooper by 1994.

But surely at least part of the idea of having Cornell onboard was to lend Cooper some attention from the youth of the time? It didn't hurt Cornell's reputation, and Cooper even featured in Wayne's World around that time, so I've got to wonder why the album wasn't a bigger commercial success.

Top albums:

Love It To Death

Killer

Billion Dollar Babies

Welcome To My Nightmare

From The Inside

The Last Temptation

Brutal Planet

Dragontown

His worst are definitely Special Forces (1981) and Zipper Catches Skin (1982). Cooper was at the height of his alcohol addiction and it really showed on those two. Overall just bad songs and a lot of bad attempts at being funny. However, he did manage to put it together enough to make his 1983 album Dada, surprisingly good. Although on that album you can really hear how bad his alcohol problem was. He sings the whole album blackout drunk and you can tell by his voice he was wasted beyond belief when recording. In fact, he was so heavily into the bottle at that time, he doesn't even remember recording Zipper or Dada. He never toured for either album and none of the songs have been played live I don't think. Alice simply remembers nothing about those two releases.

He went to rehab and was close to death when he got there. He got clean and came back in 1986 and he has been sober ever since.

What do you think of the Alice Cooper band ones from the early 70's?

Top albums:

Love It To Death

Killer

Billion Dollar Babies

Welcome To My Nightmare

From The Inside

The Last Temptation

Brutal Planet

Dragontown

But surely at least part of the idea of having Cornell onboard was to lend Cooper some attention from the youth of the time? It didn't hurt Cornell's reputation, and Cooper even featured in Wayne's World around that time, so I've got to wonder why the album wasn't a bigger commercial success.

Nothing could hurt Cornell's reputation at that time. Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam and Nirvana were too huge and could do no wrong at that point. To give you an idea as to how much grunge changed the music world, Cooper had a platinum album in 1991 with Hey Stoopid. Three years later when he released The Last Temptation, it only sold 100,000 copies. Cooper became obsolete in the popular music scene in just three years. That's how big of an impact grunge had.

• Like 1

Top albums:

Love It To Death

Killer

Billion Dollar Babies

Welcome To My Nightmare

From The Inside

The Last Temptation

Brutal Planet

Dragontown

Nothing could hurt Cornell's reputation at that time. Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam and Nirvana were too huge and could do no wrong at that point. To give you an idea as to how much grunge changed the music world, Cooper had a platinum album in 1991 with Hey Stoopid. Three years later when he released The Last Temptation, it only sold 100,000 copies. Cooper became obsolete in the popular music scene in just three years. That's how big of an impact grunge had.

I wonder if he would've done better with The Last Temptation if he hadn't had a big hair metal hit with Poison.

Top albums:

Love It To Death

Killer

Billion Dollar Babies

Welcome To My Nightmare

From The Inside

The Last Temptation

Brutal Planet

Dragontown

I wonder if he would've done better with The Last Temptation if he hadn't had a big hair metal hit with Poison.

It probably wouldn't have made a difference. There really wasn't a hit single on Temptation though. Lost In America was the main single but it doesn't really have that hook to grab people. The album is classic Cooper but it doesn't have anything too radio friendly either. Kind of like Muscle Of Love.

• Like 1

Top albums:

Love It To Death

Killer

Billion Dollar Babies

Welcome To My Nightmare

From The Inside

The Last Temptation

Brutal Planet

Dragontown

It probably wouldn't have made a difference. There really wasn't a hit single on Temptation though. Lost In America was the main single but it doesn't really have that hook to grab people. The album is classic Cooper but it doesn't have anything too radio friendly either. Kind of like Muscle Of Love.

Poison sucks, don't @ me

Poison is probs the worst hair metal band ever, they are not even metal :LMAO:

Top albums:

Love It To Death

Killer

Billion Dollar Babies

Welcome To My Nightmare

From The Inside

The Last Temptation

Brutal Planet

Dragontown

Poison sucks, don't @ me

We're talking about the Alice Cooper song Poison.

• Like 1

Top albums:

Love It To Death

Killer

Billion Dollar Babies

Welcome To My Nightmare

From The Inside

The Last Temptation

Brutal Planet

Dragontown

Poison sucks, don't @ me

We're talking about the Alice Cooper song Poison.

I think the Bon Jovi-style production (weren't Desmond Child and Bruce Fairbairn involved with Poison?) destroyed Alice`s credibility for a few years. It rendered him as hair metal at the worst time. As a teenager, that record sounded like Warrant or someone equally dodgy, not a rock behemoth.

Hey Stoopid, the album that followed Trash had the hair metal sound as well but the title track, Love's A Loaded Gun and Feed My Frankenstein were all popular singles which got good radio and video rotation. So, I'm not sure how much who he used on Trash hurt his image. It's a better album than what most other hair bands were capable of in 1989.

Alice Cooper albums I love: 1969-1975

BILLION DOLLAR BABIES

SCHOOL'S OUT

KILLER

LOVE IT TO DEATH

WELCOME TO MY NIGHTMARE

MUSCLE OF LOVE

EASY ACTION

PRETTIES FOR YOU

Everything else is hit or miss.....

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 1

BILLION DOLLAR BABIES

SCHOOL'S OUT

KILLER

LOVE IT TO DEATH

WELCOME TO MY NIGHTMARE

MUSCLE OF LOVE

EASY ACTION

PRETTIES FOR YOU

What are the good heavy metal Alice albums?

• Like 1

Earl I thought of you last night when I was watching the UFC main event from Vegas, Poirier vs Hooker. I thought wow let's throw Earl Ramer into one of these UFC fights, he's bound to be entertaining for a while! It's your future Earl don't fight it, just FIGHT! :D-13:
  • Like 1

BILLION DOLLAR BABIES

SCHOOL'S OUT

KILLER

LOVE IT TO DEATH

WELCOME TO MY NIGHTMARE

MUSCLE OF LOVE

EASY ACTION

PRETTIES FOR YOU

Get outta here Earl! This thread is for the real Cooper fans like me and The Cat lol.

• Like 2