Which is the BEST Star Trek series? a counterpart

treeduck

Which is your favourite Trek series?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite Trek series?

• 1 Star Trek - The Original Series
    • 2 The Next Generation
    • 3 Deep Space Nine
    • 4 Voyager
    • 5 Enterprise
    • 6 I love them all
    • 7 My name is Hatchet Pete, I was raped by Spock so I have a few issues
    • 8 I'm not a fan of any of this garbage, take it away, and no Star Wars either
    • 9 I don't like it I prefer Star Wars
    • 10 Wesley Crusher put me off the whole idea of Trek, and I never went back

I grew up on and worshipped The Original Series, and Mr. Spock is by far the greatest Star Trek character ever, but The Next Generation came to surpass everything that TOS did.

Not right away (Season 1 was cheesy), but with Season 2-3, it was doing things that TOS producers could have never done. By the series' final season, it had set a new standard for Science Fiction TV series productions....

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jan 17 2012, 04:13 PM)
I grew up on and worshipped The Original Series, and Mr. Spock is by far the greatest Star Trek character ever, but The Next Generation came to surpass everything that TOS did.

Not right away (Season 1 was cheesy), but with Season 2-3, it was doing things that TOS producers could have never done. By the series' final season, it had set a new standard for Science Fiction TV series productions....

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

The Next Generation is basically about Picard's quest to prove that humanity is worthy of exploring the galaxy, and Data's quest to find out what it is to be human. That's just not enough of a story for me...

It has to be TNG. The characters are amazing. The acting is amazing. The writing is amazing. TNG is probably my favorite TV show ever.

That being said, Enterprise and DS9 are incredible shows. DS9 had the best story arc of any Trek series, and Enterprise had so much potential that was just bogged down by Scott Bakula's horrendous acting. If Enterprise would've had it's 5th season going into the Romulan wars, and Shran would've become a member of the crew (I heard rumors that this was the plan), it would've been incredible. They killed Enterprise just as it was getting its legs.

Edited by KenJennings

I grew up with ToS but my vote goes to TNG. It had all of the best of ToS and got even better. The writers really took it to the next level. They still had some ToS-type klinkers though like the one where the almost naked people wanted to kill Wesley for getting on their lawn and the one where they went to the "black planet" with Yar. but it was the best.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 17 2012, 06:07 PM)
The Next Generation is basically about Picard's quest to prove that humanity is worthy of exploring the galaxy, and Data's quest to find out what it is to be human. That's just not enough of a story for me...

We could say that the entire series was about promoting Humanity and its quest for self-improvement and exploration. I thought it offered a far more introspective look into human triumphs and weaknesses. It covered issues that would make most anthropologists proud. yes.gif

What was The Original Series about, then? Roddenberry had basically one agenda - to show mankind as being able to overcome its violent and xenophobic history and unite as One People. The rest of it was more like Wagon Train in outer space..... not that there's anything wrong with that..... smile.gif

Edited by Workaholic Man

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jan 17 2012, 07:13 PM)

We could say that the entire series was about promoting Humanity and its quest for self-improvement and exploration. I thought it offered a far more introspective look into human triumphs and weaknesses. It covered issues that would make most anthropolgists proud. yes.gif

What was The Original Series about, then? Roddenberry had basically one agenda - to show mankind as being able to overcome its violent and xenophobic history and unite as One People. The rest of it was more like Wagon Train in outer space..... not that there's anything wrong with that..... smile.gif

Let me put it simply: there was too much Picard and Data in the show.

I was fed up with Data and his cat spot and his obsession with being human by about season 3. Funny how he never asked Worf what it was like to be Klingon. And Picard and his "Make it so" and "engage" and "namba one" exhortations was wearing on me pretty early too.

Data is Spock-lite. He wanted to be human but Spock, who was half human, did not. Data is basically a Pinocchio character, as Spock was, but Spock was way more interesting and enjoyable to watch with brilliant relationships with Kirk, Scotty and especially McCoy. TNG needed three characters to create their own Spock presence on their Enterprise; Data (smart ass walking computer), Riker (first officer), Worf (alien officer on the bridge).

Meanwhile Picard time and again was trying to prove he and his crew belonged out there, like he had an inferiority complex. To the Q, to the Romulans, even to the Borg even though he knew they didn't even know or care. He practically begged to be accepted to every life form he encountered. None of the other Captains, even Janeway did this. I found Picard embarrassing at times. Good acting from Patty Boy Stewart though...

The other characters were not very interesting, Riker was mind numbingly dull. Troi and the Doc were basically eye candy. Troi had a tendency to ramble. I mean a ship's counselor? A space social worker? Wesley I have no idea why they put this character in there but he wasn't even a Star Fleet cadet and yet he was somehow the helmsman of the ship. Nepotism maybe since his mother was the ship's doc? Laforge was just a blind Scotty. And Worf was much more interesting when he joined DS9.

trink38.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 17 2012, 09:10 PM)

We could say that the entire series was about promoting Humanity and its quest for self-improvement and exploration. I thought it offered a far more introspective look into human triumphs and weaknesses. It covered issues that would make most anthropolgists proud. yes.gif

I was fed up with Data and his cat spot and his obsession with being human by about season 3. Funny how he never asked Worf what it was like to be Klingon. And Picard and his "Make it so" and "engage" and "namba one" exhortations was wearing on me pretty early too.

Data is Spock-lite. He wanted to be human but Spock, who was half human, did not. Data is basically a Pinocchio character, as Spock was, but Spock was way more interesting and enjoyable to watch with brilliant relationships with Kirk, Scotty and especially McCoy. TNG needed three characters to create their own Spock presence on their Enterprise; Data (smart ass walking computer), Riker (first officer), Worf (alien officer on the bridge).

Meanwhile Picard time and again was trying to prove he and his crew belonged out there, like he had an inferiority complex. To the Q, to the Romulans, even to the Borg even though he knew they didn't even know or care. He practically begged to be accepted to every life form he encountered. None of the other Captains, even Janeway did this. I found Picard embarrassing at times. Good acting from Patty Boy Stewart though...

The other characters were not very interesting, Riker was mind numbingly dull. Troi and the Doc were basically eye candy. Troi had a tendency to ramble. I mean a ship's counselor? A space social worker? Wesley I have no idea why they put this character in there but he wasn't even a Star Fleet cadet and yet he was somehow the helmsman of the ship. Nepotism maybe since his mother was the ship's doc? Laforge was just a blind Scotty. And Worf was much more interesting when he joined DS9.

trink38.gif

I disagree big time. All of those characters were interesting in their own way (except Wes - he's kind of a Star trek Anakin). Picard was excellent - Inner Light was a fantastic episode.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jan 17 2012, 09:07 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 17 2012, 09:10 PM)

trink38.gif

I disagree big time. All of those characters were interesting in their own way (except Wes - he's kind of a Star trek Anakin). Picard was excellent - Inner Light was a fantastic episode.

You're free to disagree.

I can't see it your way though, I'd like to, I'd watch it all over again with your Picard-obsessed eyes. Reality has to be reality though...

bekloppt.gif

I couldn't choose between TNG and DS9, so I put down I love them all. I know I speak poorly of Voyager, but I really do love them all. I just love Voyager less because he's like that kid that breaks a family heirloom. You love him like the others, but you can't forgive him for what he did. So Voyager just a little less than the others.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 17 2012, 09:11 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jan 17 2012, 09:07 PM)

I disagree big time.  All of those characters were interesting in their own way (except Wes - he's kind of a Star trek Anakin).  Picard was excellent - Inner Light was a fantastic episode.

You're free to disagree.

I can't see it your way though, I'd like to, I'd watch it all over again with your Picard-obsessed eyes. Reality has to be reality though...

bekloppt.gif

I gotta quote Shatner from the SNL Trek Convention, "It's just a TV show...!" laugh.gif laugh.gif

My vote goes to DS9.

I grew up watching re-runs of TOS when I could watch them as they were always on real late.

Then along came TNG. I agree that the 1st season was - weak, for lack of a better phrase. Killing off Tasha Yar (hope I got the name right - somebody correct me if I got it wrong) was a big mistake as the character had some potential. I agree that Riker was always dull. Troi I did not like at first (as a character that is). Easy on the eye but basically not to much more at first but she slowly grew on me. Doc was easy on the eye but I sort of liked her as a character. Sort of an anti bones in terms of her not being a big of a grouch. Hard to explain. Laforge was just there. Wesley? I would rather not talk about him. Worf?? Good solid character. Picard & Data I thought were great and did not wear thin.

TOS could, at least, match TNG character for character (Scotty more interesting than Laforge, the doc's cancel out as I got tired of Bones, Picard has the edge on Kirk in terms of depth, Sulu & Checkov did not fully develop but could have, potentially, been great characters vs. Data & Worf who were strong characters, Riker (weak) vs. Spock who was a strong character, Barkley who started as a pest but grew on me, Uhura (sp??) who was never fully developed). Ultimately the characters leave the series close.

What sets TNG above TOS was, in my opinion, the continuing plot lines that TOS did not have and I am not certain if it could have ever developed plus the "fleshing out" of the alien races / cultures that, again, TOS did not do and, again, I am not certain that it could have done. The Q. The Borg. Even The Klingons and Romulans. They became more 3-D than any villains in the original series. Can you imagine Kirk speaking Klingon? Perhaps you can but I have a tough time doing so. That is just one example of what I am talking about.

In short, without TOS their is no TNG and I don't mean that in a literal sense. You had to have one in order to get the next. By having the first you got the next which was more detailed and complete. TNG would not just have appears out of the blue. Sort of like trying to argue that the first Apple computer is better then the best Apple product of today. Without the one you can't have the other. But the other is more complete and you would not want to go back, at least I would not want to. Yes it makes the first special but what is built upon it was, in this case, a better show (which does not always happen - look at Stargate, SG1 was far better than anything that came after, esp. the last series 062802puke_prv.gif)

That being said, my vote went to DS9. Sisko I did not like much but everything around him - wow! The other characters were great and the plot lines took a little time to get going but once they did - wow! Again, I will tip my hat to TOS and TNG but what was built upon their foundation was a better show.

Enterprise? Good characters. Good show. Just not up to the level of TNG and DS9. On par with TOS in my order of preference.

Voyager? Lots of potential. Turned out to be my least favorite Star Trek show. Never lived up to the potential.

What a post!!

The original series - the one and only true Trek.

The original cast had a natural chemistry and personality that just can't be beat. The Next Generation (the only other series I've seen much of) by contrast was just painfully dull. I find the original to be simply all around the most entertaining.

There is one you left out, Duck:

http://thumbnails.cbsig.net/CBS_Production_Entertainment/CBS_Production_Entertainment/1973/09/08/Classic/Star_Trek_The_Animated_Series/Season_1/Full_Episodes/686/862/CBS_STARTREK_ANIMATED_004_IMAGE_CIAN.jpg

Edited by Silas Lang

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 17 2012, 08:10 PM)

trink38.gif

Pretty much sums it up for me, particularly the part about Data. And Picard/Stewart is too stiff, wooden and unexciting for my tastes. Certainly not very dynamic. The show was too damn talky and meandering, getting bogged down with the overuse of technical jargon (or what I like to call "technobabble").

We could say that the entire series was about promoting Humanity and its quest for self-improvement and exploration. I thought it offered a far more introspective look into human triumphs and weaknesses. It covered issues that would make most anthropologists proud. yes.gif

It was about action and adventure with a backdrop of important messages about society mixed in. A politically charged allegory or morality play, if you will, for very turbulent times. When it comes to content, it was pretty cutting edge in its day. I don't think the same can be said about any of the later series.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Jan 18 2012, 01:52 AM)

It was about action and adventure with a backdrop of important messages about society mixed in. A politically charged allegory or morality play, if you will, for very turbulent times. When it comes to content, it was pretty cutting edge in its day. I don't think the same can be said about any of the later series.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Jan 18 2012, 12:39 AM)
The original series - the one and only true Trek.

The original cast had a natural chemistry and personality that just can't be beat. The Next Generation (the only other series I've seen much of) by contrast was just painfully dull. I find the original to be simply all around the most entertaining.

There is one you left out, Duck:

http://thumbnails.cbsig.net/CBS_Production_Entertainment/CBS_Production_Entertainment/1973/09/08/Classic/Star_Trek_The_Animated_Series/Season_1/Full_Episodes/686/862/CBS_STARTREK_ANIMATED_004_IMAGE_CIAN.jpg

Aye...

trink38.gif