Neil Peart News Updated

Tony R

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, as far as I can tell, Neil HAS and IS accomplishing everything he intended as far back as 1980 with "Freewill" and expressing it via "Virtuality" from 1996...

He has people questioning, discussing and debating the concepts of religion, faith and/or free will, via his medium:

Music and literature.

I applaud both his honesty and bravery in remaining true to his beliefs and his sincerity, whilst not hiding behind a cyber persona.

An example to us all...

Well done Neil.

I for one, cannot wait for the new album!

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jan 13 2012, 02:46 PM)
But if you want to honestly know WHY we alot of us complain about the subject matter that Neil continues to ramble on about...THIS is probably why.

These 12-page b*tchfests of threads that come up...and many of which have to ultimately move to the SOCN. Don't believe me? It happened a crapload during the S&A days.

What's that famous saying? "Never discuss Politics and/or Religion". Hmmm...I wonder why?!

Neil...I love ya, and am clearly a huge Fanboi...but please, time to discover a new line of lyrical subject matter. cool.gif

cars, trees, strange villas... thx. smile.gif

QUOTE (Terrapin @ Jan 13 2012, 03:55 PM)
Well, as far as I can tell, Neil HAS and IS accomplishing everything he intended as far back as 1980 with "Freewill" and expressing it via "Virtuality" from 1996...

He has people questioning, discussing and debating the concepts of religion, faith and/or free will, via his medium:

Music and literature.

I applaud both his honesty and bravery in remaining true to his beliefs and his sincerity, whilst not hiding behind a cyber persona.

An example to us all...

Well done Neil.

I for one, cannot wait for the new album!

End of thread

QUOTE (eshine @ Jan 13 2012, 04:31 PM)
Neil...I love ya, and am clearly a huge Fanboi...but please, time to discover a new line of lyrical subject matter.

How do we know what the lyrical content of Clockwork Angels is?

Lemme guess, God told you...?

wink.gif

eyesre4.gif

Yes...'God told me'. Come on.

I was simply making a point that I hope they don't go in that direction on CA. I wasn't thrilled when I heard it was going to be the direction of S&A.

But let me tell you...while my views are essentially the opposite of Neil's, I LOVED S&A. I'm probably one of the biggest supporters of that album on here...I love it.

By the way...I don't think that it takes a rocket scientist or 'God telling me' the subject matter to understand what 'BU2B' is all about. I'm smart enough to read, thanks. biggrin.gif

(For the record, I also LOVE 'BU2B'. IMO, it's one of the best songs they've written in quite awhile!)

I'm just saying...I'd like to see Neil tackle some different subject matter on CA. That's all. Simple as that. Regardless of what happens, I'll still always be a RUSH fan...end of story. 1022.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 13 2012, 05:03 PM)
But if you want to honestly know WHY we alot of us complain about the subject matter that Neil continues to ramble on about...THIS is probably why.

These 12-page b*tchfests of threads that come up...and many of which have to ultimately move to the SOCN. Don't believe me? It happened a crapload during the S&A days.

What's that famous saying? "Never discuss Politics and/or Religion". Hmmm...I wonder why?!

Neil...I love ya, and am clearly a huge Fanboi...but please, time to discover a new line of lyrical subject matter.  cool.gif

cars, trees, strange villas... thx. smile.gif

yes.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jan 13 2012, 04:22 PM)
Neil...I love ya, and am clearly a huge Fanboi...but please, time to discover a new line of lyrical subject matter.

wink.gif

eyesre4.gif

I was simply making a point that I hope they don't go in that direction on CA. I wasn't thrilled when I heard it was going to be the direction of S&A.

But let me tell you...while my views are essentially the opposite of Neil's, I LOVED S&A. I'm probably one of the biggest supporters of that album on here...I love it.

By the way...I don't think that it takes a rocket scientist or 'God telling me' the subject matter to understand what 'BU2B' is all about. I'm smart enough to read, thanks. biggrin.gif

(For the record, I also LOVE 'BU2B'. IMO, it's one of the best songs they've written in quite awhile!)

I'm just saying...I'd like to see Neil tackle some different subject matter on CA. That's all. Simple as that. Regardless of what happens, I'll still always be a RUSH fan...end of story. 1022.gif

Excellent post; thats it exactly for me.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 13 2012, 05:30 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jan 13 2012, 04:22 PM)

wink.gif

eyesre4.gif

Excellent post; thats it exactly for me.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Tom Sawyer @ Jan 13 2012, 10:53 PM)
At least he's not writing about screwing chicks... it could be a lot, lot worse y'know?!!

It was long after midnight
When we got to unconditional love
She said, 'Sure, my heart is boundless
But don't push my limits too far'
I said, 'If love was so transcendent
I don't understand these boundaries'
She said, 'Just don't disappoint me
You know how complex women are'

Reads like a Vulcan love song...

I can't believe people are just now starting to appreciate (or not!) what Neil has been saying for years on the subject of religion.

The track 'Freewill' was on a certain 'classic' album many moons ago was it not? It seems clear to me what was being said all those years ago.

There seems little doubt to me that religion is primarily a control system that goes hand in hand with politics and can be equally as ferocious or as benign as its intenders wish it to be.

Plus ca change, plus ce la meme chose!

Edited by Lerxst UK

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jan 13 2012, 05:58 PM)
At least he's not writing about screwing chicks... it could be a lot, lot worse y'know?!!

laugh.gif

Well, it sure ain't "The Lemon Song".

I'd be interested in to read the review of Neil's possible visit (will never happen) and field trip at the "Creation Museum" and its nonsense "evidence" on earth while riding through the Kentucky area. Should be a good laugh. I think Neil has never totally lost his faith on life, he has just gained some insight.. Excellent, deep and visual reading, as always, also drummingwise new paths have been found while recording, huh! Freewill and amen and thanks for internet for all the help while Neils vocabulary (as a non english speaking..)

Christopher Hitchens

QUOTE (Captain Avatar @ Jan 12 2012, 08:27 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 12 2012, 07:36 PM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Jan 12 2012, 05:08 PM)
Oh for the love of sky-god, get over it people.

Neil Peart has every right to express his personal viewpoints in prose and song without filter or fear of insulting uber-sensitive Christians - or, frankly, middle aged fanboys who long for the good-old days when he validated their geekdom by writing about snowdogs, black holes and high school alienation.

His honesty is refreshing.

No one is saying he doesn't have the right to express his personal viewpoints in prose and song, but that doesn't mean that everyone has to like it or shut up about it if they don't. We too have a right to express our personal viewpoints. Give us the same courtesy that you give Neil as he freely expresses himself, even if you disagree with our views or don't like what we have to say.

I can't help but find it ironic that the people who get really bothered by people getting bothered are the ones who tend to really agree with Neil's views. It's fine if you do, but please allow people who don't to feel the way they do and express it. I could just as easily tell you to "get over it" if that bugs you, but it's not exactly the kindest or most compassionate thing to say.

EXCELLENT post Rushgoober!

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Let's all agree that Neil has a right to believe what he wants to believe and say what he wants to say. I certainly believe that, and I think that's been a universal sentiment here, shared by everyone, pro and con.

What bothers me is that anytime a Christian speaks his mind, he's told to shut up and suck it up, while no one instructs Neil and others like him to do likewise. Why is one standard applied to Rush fans who happen to be Christians ("Suck it up and quit being so sensitive all the time") and another applied to Neil ("Hey, he's being honest about his personal beliefs, and I find that refreshing").

My point is...who's being "uber sensitive" here? If anyone is, it's Neil himself, and everyone who agrees with him. They are the ones who can't take any kind of dissension from their belief systems.

One final point...a Christian like Tim Tebow speaks positively about his faith in and love for Jesus Christ. He doesn't also constantly express his disdain for all atheists. Along with praising paganism, Neil had to slip in the fact that Charlemagne killed thousands of pagans in the name of Christ. That might be true, but I can't imagine the absolute storm of a backlash that would occur if Tebow, in an interview, equated atheism with, say, Stalin's massacres. Atheists would be demanding his head on a platter.

On the other hand, when the Mormon Tabernacle Choir releases a song about religion, they aren't trashed on fan fora. Why? Because that is a core theme of their music.

Rush is band heavily influenced by atheism/agnosticism. It is an important part of their ethos. Some of their songs rail against the role that religion has on contemporary society. This is not likely to change.

You can hate it, bitch about it, whine about it, etc., but it is part of what they are.

Seeing as Peart wrote this more than 15 years ago, I think the lyrics are quite prophetic and sadly poingant...

Like a shipwrecked mariner adrift on an unknown sea

Clinging to the wreckage of the lost ship Fantasy

I'm a castaway, stranded in a desolate land

I can see the footprints in the virtual sand

Net boy, net girl

Send your signal 'round the world

Let your fingers walk and talk

And set you free

Net boy, net girl

Send your impulse 'round the world

Put your message in a modem

And throw it in the Cyber Sea

Astronauts in the weightlessness of pixellated space

Exchange graffiti with a disembodied race

I can save the universe in a grain of sand

I can hold the future in my virtual hand

Let's dance tonight

To a virtual song

Press this key

And you can play along

Let's fly tonight

On our virtual wings

Press this key

To see amazing things

Like a pair of vagabonds who wave between two passing trains

Or the glimpse of a woman's smile through a window in the rain

I can smell her perfume,

I can taste her lips

I can feel the voltage from her fingertips

Net boy, net girl

Send your heartbeat round the world

And set you free

Net boy, net girl

Peart kind of got it right that long ago..,

rofl3.gif laugh.gif z7shysterical.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Terrapin @ Jan 13 2012, 08:08 PM)
Seeing as Peart wrote this more than 15 years ago, I think the lyrics are quite prophetic and sadly poingant...

Like a shipwrecked mariner adrift on an unknown sea
Clinging to the wreckage of the lost ship Fantasy
I'm a castaway, stranded in a desolate land
I can see the footprints in the virtual sand

Net boy, net girl
Send your signal 'round the world
And set you free

Net boy, net girl

Astronauts in the weightlessness of pixellated space
Exchange graffiti with a disembodied race
I can save the universe in a grain of sand
I can hold the future in my virtual hand

Let's dance tonight
To a virtual song
Press this key
And you can play along

Let's fly tonight
On our virtual wings
Press this key
To see amazing things

Like a pair of vagabonds who wave between two passing trains
Or the glimpse of a woman's smile through a window in the rain
I can smell her perfume,
I can taste her lips
I can feel the voltage from her fingertips

Net boy, net girl
Send your heartbeat round the world
And set you free

Net boy, net girl

Peart kind of got it right that long ago..,

I love this song. And I wish the lyrics were something that didnt age so quickly, something more timeless, so they could keep playing this kick-ass song musically...

QUOTE (Lerxst UK @ Jan 13 2012, 06:01 PM)
I can't believe people are just now starting to appreciate (or not!) what Neil has been saying for years on the subject of religion.

The track 'Freewill' was on a certain 'classic' album many moons ago was it not? It seems clear to me what was being said all those years ago.

There seems little doubt to me that religion is primarily a control system that goes hand in hand with politics and can be equally as ferocious or as benign as its intenders wish it to be.

Freewill was about same topic. True. Then he lyrically got off it and gave us Spirit of Radio, Jacobs Ladder, and other great songs.

The point is not expressing ideas about faith. The point is not becoming a bore.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 14 2012, 01:12 AM)

Freewill was about same topic. True. Then he lyrically got off it and gave us Spirit of Radio, Jacobs Ladder, and other great songs.

The point is not expressing ideas about faith. The point is not becoming a bore.

If you're "bored" you only have to move on! No one is keeping you in chains. Go and find a "better" lyricist who doesn't bore you mate.

QUOTE (Terrapin @ Jan 13 2012, 08:19 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 14 2012, 01:12 AM)

If you're "bored" you only have to move on! No one is keeping you in chains. Go and find a "better" lyricist who doesn't bore you mate.

I do move on. I move on from S&A quite a lot to listen to older stuff as a result . I reserve the right to comment on the marathon that is the topic of religion in Rush lyrics... laugh.gif

Do let me know what I am allowed to criticize or comment on though, very much appreciated.

For the people who are offended by the lyrics, I don't get that. Maybe it's just that it's not in my nature to be offended by such things. But if they released a bunch of songs that expressed a view very much opposed to my own, and could even be interpreted as insulting in some way towards my own, I really wouldn't take offense. They're song lyrics, that I'm choosing to listen to, I don't take them that personally. They're doing what they're supposed to do, express some kind of idea. It's not preaching at all, it's simply him presenting a view. I guess I'd just be able to say, well, I disagree, and understand other people have other views, and leave it at that. He's not personally going and smacking the Bible out of anyone's hand.

Now, if you simply want him to move on to a new topic for the sake of hearing something new, that's fine and that's a different matter.

Neil...I love ya, and am clearly a huge Fanboi...but please, time to discover a new line of lyrical subject matter. cool.gif

For the most point this is true...

I know the admins "sort of" allow this discussion in here because due to the nature of the beast (the bands lyrics/music/and interviews) this topic comes up from time to time... and as long as it stays on topic (in this case a discussion on the religious or non religious nature of Neal's lyrics) the admins usually allow it....but...

These threads have a tendency to get out of hand VERY quick, and just become a religious debate thread, with all mention of Rush/Neal/and lyrics set aside....

Or someone will say something incredibly stupid and offensive (From both sides of the argument) that it gets moved automatically