The Time Machine DVD, Blu-Ray

ShowgunSam

This is my first post/topic as an RF member and I want to, first off, start by saying that I'm 21 and was first introduced to RUSH by my older brother when I was 8 years old (in '97.) Since then, I've become one of the most hardcore fans out there. Haven't missed a tour since R30. I know, for some of you who've been there since the 70's and 80s, that's probably laughable, but I'm quite proud of that.

Anyways, I wanted to discuss the overall picture/audio quality of Rush's latest live recording, Time Machine 2011. I remember back in September (I think) watching the VH1 debut of the Cleveland show. The first time I sat through it, I was blown away by the audio mix (thanks Richard Chycki.) Everything seemed to mesh together perfectly this time around. As far as camera work is concerned, I really enjoyed how it was shot, at first. It's definitely unlike any other live recording that has ever been done for Rush and it really does show the love and compassion that fans like us have for the band and their music... and how a lot more women are coming to Rush shows wink.gif

However, after watching it a couple more times on DVD, I have to say I'm becoming more or less let down by the camera work and picture quality of the show. Concerning the camera angles, I now think that this was shot as more of a professional bootleg than a live DVD. I just think there were certain key moments that were missed, basically. Picture quality was probably the biggest let down for me. Most of the shots seem so... grainy? Out of focus? Whether this was done on purpose, I really don't know. What do you all think?

cant remember,i need to watch it again me thinks!

What can often be annoying is when the camera is on the wrong person at a particular point of interest(if you get my drift)

Welcome to trf wink.gif

I remember reading either one of the band or one of the production team saying that this concert video was "better" because it was made by fans (the BTLS guys) and therefore the camera would be pointing at the correct band member during the big musical moments. I then remember watching the video and thinking that they were talking "bollocks". It's no better or worse than 90% of rock concert videos out there!

Overall it's pretty good but it isn't flawless by any stretch of the imagination.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jan 9 2012, 02:40 PM)
I remember reading either one of the band or one of the production team saying that this concert video was "better" because it was made by fans (the BTLS guys) and therefore the camera would be pointing at the correct band member during the big musical moments. I then remember watching the video and thinking that they were talking "bollocks". It's no better or worse than 90% of rock concert videos out there!

Overall it's pretty good but it isn't flawless by any stretch of the imagination.

goodpost.gif I totally agree. The only difference I see is lots of (imo) pointless shots of fans, less close ups and not as good picture quality.

S&A Live is so much better in that respect I feel - I have never seen any other concert video that nails the camera angles and picture quality as perfectly as that one does.

Edited by Drummerrobin

See, I'm a big fan of the light show (being a lighting designer myself) and I feel that there wasn't enough "grande scale" shots of the stage during those big fx moments. It was all mostly crowd based, which isn't bad by any means, but I feel there should be a fair balance.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jan 9 2012, 02:57 PM)
I think SnA Live looks better but it's the performance and energy of Time Machine that trumps SnA live.

goodpost.gif

and yes, many of the shots were out of focus. i also don't like that they missed things, as you said(such as not showing Neil's feet doing double bass, but showing him doing basic stuff). i also don't like that they left in shots of the guys talking to each other and to audience members. and a lot of the shots of the audience were weird. like the one shot from far away shows people talking to each other, and someone playing on their cell phone. idk, seems like they should've edited better.

also, the bonus features, compared to other dvds, are garbage. seems like there could've been more, INCLUDING footage that SHOULD'VE been shot of everyone outside of the RnRHoSh*t. also, no skit from the end of the show. wtf?? confused13.gif

idk, i love the dvd, great set list, great energy, but maybe they should stick to documentaries.

Edited by liddybuck01

I have the blu-ray and the picture quality is pretty darned good. Haven't seen it on DVD so I can't compare but I do agree that visually SnA was their best ever.

I think the OP's opinion that it's kind of a "professional bootleg" type of shoot is spot on. Myself, I kind of liked that aspect though I can see others wouldn't. Am guessing the next one will be more like SnA and R30.

Loved the performance on TM save for Ged's vocals on the first 2 songs.

Edited by driventotheedge

I think that R30 has the best camera work of all the videos, especially the NP shots.

Time Machine has a very nice off-the-cuff look. It has a wild and exciting feel about it and that fits the show quite well. My one big complaint would have to be that there are too many audience shots. I hate seeing some dude air drumming all over the place and all the crazy faces. What really sucked were the gratuitous shots of every woman they could find. We get it, ladies go to Rush concerts now, but fer-cryin-out-loud show me the band.

As far as quality goes, I have the Blu-Ray and it looks great.

It does strike me that the dvd is a bit " grainy " in places, but I love many of the cuts to the right bandmember at the right time.

I also love how Time Machine shows their playing, particularly during Free Will and Working Man......

Stellar stuff.....

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Jan 9 2012, 01:41 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Jan 9 2012, 02:57 PM)
I think SnA Live looks better but it's the performance and energy of Time Machine that trumps SnA live.

goodpost.gif

and yes, many of the shots were out of focus. i also don't like that they missed things, as you said(such as not showing Neil's feet doing double bass, but showing him doing basic stuff). i also don't like that they left in shots of the guys talking to each other and to audience members. and a lot of the shots of the audience were weird. like the one shot from far away shows people talking to each other, and someone playing on their cell phone. idk, seems like they should've edited better.

also, the bonus features, compared to other dvds, are garbage. seems like there could've been more, INCLUDING footage that SHOULD'VE been shot of everyone outside of the RnRHoSh*t. also, no skit from the end of the show. wtf?? confused13.gif

idk, i love the dvd, great set list, great energy, but maybe they should stick to documentaries.

It's interesting how everyone's perceptions are different. I've watched the blu-ray quite a few times now and I love it!

I actually like that they left in shots of the guys talking to each other and to audience members, and I somehow missed seeing someone playing on their cell phone. Instead of finding those shots to be weird, they make me feel more like I was there. (which I couldn't be, but I did see them twice in other venues.)

I heard that the skit from the end of the show (I Love You, Man) was left off due to copyright issues.

I loved all the bonus features - thought the skits were hilarious!

But I guess that just goes to show that Rush fans' interests are as varied as Rush fans are!

I can't really tell about grainy images on the DVD as our tv is only 15inch and we sit quite far back from it. Perhaps when we get a bigger set I'll see a difference.

I agree with Phantom about enjoying seeing them play and also agree with On Theroad To Adventure that it makes me feel like I was there.

Welcome to TRF! bekloppt.gif

I hated how during vital signs, when that drum part comes up, the show that whole row of fans drumming to it. cheesy cheesy...Yes, were alot of out of focus shots.. specially of geddy. and the constant smoke machine going off didn't help..

Welcome to TRF! trink39.gif

I have the Blu-Ray and, as someone else mentioned, the picture quality is great. As for the editing... it's fine. Would I have edited it differently? Well duh. But mostly I think the guys did a good job. There's just so much to see! How could anyone ever please all of us? confused13.gif

Welcome to trf dude. Loved the TM dvd-don't have bluray. It had the feel of a gig to me, I think that's where your bootleg reference is coming from-seemed like a real concert. Couldn't smell people though, always a bonus.

S&A Live is (I) think one of the best live vids done by any band-great show, stunning set list, fantastic playing, I've yet to see another vid by any band (apart from "Tommy") that was better. I can (almost) say the same for the TM Cleveland gig.

And I've seen them live since the the 70's.

It's always good to have an elder brother who's into cool music. 1022.gif

WELCOME! trink39.gif

I too agree S&A is the best presentation of the band in the DVD format.

As for the TM DVD, my only complaints are too many shots of the audience and poor Ged's vocals. But by the 2nd half of the show he warms up. I tend to watch from Subdivisions through to the end.

QUOTE (ShowgunSam @ Jan 9 2012, 03:33 PM)
See, I'm a big fan of the light show (being a lighting designer myself) and I feel that there wasn't enough "grande scale" shots of the stage during those big fx moments. It was all mostly crowd based, which isn't bad by any means, but I feel there should be a fair balance.

yes.gif

Totally agree! I think with R30 DVD we have more of that kind of distant shot of the stage. It has too do with the director (Dunn /Mcfayden) who prefer to see the guys close as much as possible and show a lot of crowd shot.