Sounds you wish we heard more of

Gilbertk

So what are some sound Rush has touched on that are too far gone now, but you wish they would have worked with more at the time?

For me it's "Where's My Thing?" and Test for Echo. Both has such mystical sounds to them, more so in T4E. That guitar riff at the beginning of T4E has always mystified me and "Where's My Thing" has such a cool groove to it.

Obviously both of these sounds would be totally out of place with Rush's current sound, but I wish they would have played more with those sounds and vibes at the time.

I think I know where you're coming from.An example is Nuerotica off Roll the Bones, can't stand the chorus but the middle eight is awesome classic driving Rush.

So might have been a better song based around that middle eight.

Funny you should bring this up... earlier tonight I was running through my new effects unit (a G1XN) trying to match sounds to songs. music.gif syn-cro-niss-ah-tee music.gif

I love the sound of Alex's guitar at the beginning of Lerxst In Wonderland. It almost sounds like a (gasp) keyboard - especially on the sound of the attack.

I love the drum sound at the end of Heresy, the hard, high-pitched, wooden sound in a quick 3-4 strike.

Geddy's bass on all of HYF sounds amazing!

Alex's guitar on Xanadu. And on the verse section of Hand Over Fist....

The sound of No f-n Electronic Drums/Samples. Please

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jan 9 2012, 12:51 PM)
a decent drum sound!

(for the love of all that is holy let us pray for the abandonment of the DW's...)

What's wrong with the DWs? To my ears, Different Stages and Snakes and Arrows Live are by far Neil's best drum sounds - both with the DWs. Anyone else agree?

QUOTE (Drummerrobin @ Jan 9 2012, 02:03 PM)
a decent drum sound!

(for the love of all that is holy let us pray for the abandonment of the DW's...)

What's wrong with the DWs? To my ears, Different Stages and Snakes and Arrows Live are by far Neil's best drum sounds - both with the DWs. Anyone else agree?

I'd suggest you go back and watch/listen to the live St. Louis 1980 recording, p/g concert and ASOH before you make such assertions again... trink39.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jan 9 2012, 02:45 PM)
a decent drum sound!

I'd suggest you go back and watch/listen to the live St. Louis 1980 recording, p/g concert and ASOH before you make such assertions again... trink39.gif

Just listened to some of the St. Louis show... Nah those concert toms are too dead for my liking - the double headed DW toms are much better I think. I like the sound on A Show of Hands better, but for me it still lacks the warmth and fullness of DS and S&A Live. Sorry tongue.gif

I don't think the problem is with the DW's, it's with how he likes his drums TUNED!

I've heard DW's that sound throaty and solid, and I hear Neil's drums and wonder why he's wasting time with those types of drums, and tuning them THAT WAY facepalm.gif

QUOTE (Drummerrobin @ Jan 9 2012, 03:08 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jan 9 2012, 02:45 PM)
a decent drum sound!

Just listened to some of the St. Louis show... Nah those concert toms are too dead for my liking - the double headed DW toms are much better I think. I like the sound on A Show of Hands better, but for me it still lacks the warmth and fullness of DS and S&A Live. Sorry tongue.gif

opinions are one thing...

getting your hearing checked is another wink.gif

seriously, my friend? you're provably delusional if you believe the DW's (and the horrible way they're currently tuned/recorded/mixed) can hold a candle to the Tama/Ludwig era

in fact, a good friend (fellow fan, fellow drummer) and I were just kicking this topic around last weekend

we watched Neil's Letterman performance (during Drum Solo Week 2011) and then Neil's solo from ASOH - there's simply no contest

listening to the 2011 solo with your eyes closed, it's not possible to distinguish the lowest four toms from one another - they blend together in a single muddy cardboard mess - only the highest concert toms assert their pitch, and even then they're awfully choked

the DW snare is terrifyingly bad - no attack, ghost notes don't respond, nothing

conversely, when Neil does fills during the 1989 ASOH solo, you can clearly identify every drum (go ahead, close your eyes again - astounding) - each one rings out with clarity and a defined pitch

and lookout for that snare... the Slingerland is the perfect monster - endless attack paired with a response so sensitive that you can't believe you're listening to it in a f#@ing concert hall and not a recording studio... breathtaking

not that I care or anything... smile.gif

Edited by ghostworks

I miss Geddy's Rickenbacker. I am listening to the 1978 Hammersmith disc of Different Stages, and it sounds so lovely, all growly and gutteral like a Ricky should. I wish he'd take it out more often. If not the Rickenbacker, I am at least glad he's back to Fender Jazzes, they have punch with depth. I wasn't a fan of the Wahl sound, or -shudder- the Steinberger.

-Jane

2.gif

QUOTE (gudbuytjane @ Jan 9 2012, 05:52 PM)
I miss Geddy's Rickenbacker. I am listening to the 1978 Hammersmith disc of Different Stages, and it sounds so lovely, all growly and gutteral like a Ricky should. I wish he'd take it out more often. If not the Rickenbacker, I am at least glad he's back to Fender Jazzes, they have punch with depth. I wasn't a fan of the Wahl sound, or -shudder- the Steinberger.

-Jane

2.gif

Have to agree with this.

I absolutely adore the Rickenbacker sound, but there's no chance he'll switch back I guess.

QUOTE (gudbuytjane @ Jan 9 2012, 05:52 PM)

-Jane

2.gif

I love the Wal tone best, but since I play a Ric, I am fond of that tone as well. However, I like the Steiny too. IMHO, his live tone with the Steinberger is much better than his live tone these days with the Jazz (too much reliance on DI and simulators and not enough real tubes and speakers)