Hunger Games

workingcinderellaman

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Boots @ Mar 24 2012, 04:51 PM)
I have no interest in this series whatsoever.  Seems like a bunch of BS.
I hate the distopic apocalyptic storyline.  I also hate the character names.
I just find this whole thing so stupid.  Isn't it just a ripoff of Stephen King's book The Running Man?
Next.

My wife convinced me to read the first book. It was quite good. I'm going to see the movie with my wife and daughter and a bunch of her friends tonight, in Imax. I'm actually excited to go.

and no, its totally not a ripoff of The Running man, at all.

Edited by Tick

Well, I've heard a few things about this series.

1. It's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

2. The first book is great. The next two give the reader the impression that Collins never intended to make this a trilogy.

3. The MC is just Bella Swan with pigtails.

I'll make my own judgment if/when I finally get around to reading it, I wouldn't be surprised if the second statement was true, and I find it hard to believe that the third statement is true or else how on Earth would it be so popular? And if the third statement is true then I've just lost faith in humanity once and for all.

I'm a little wary about the series due to all the hype (Twilight was hyped and I ended up reading it just so I could have a fair argument against my friends... for the record, the second half of Breaking Dawn has got to be some of the worst writing ever, IMO) but the setting seems interesting, at the least. And I like sci-fi. Love it, actually. So maybe this summer I'll have time to check it out.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Mar 28 2012, 07:55 AM)
2. The first book is great. The next two give the reader the impression that Collins never intended to make this a trilogy.

1. I've also heard that it's a derivative piece of junk. I suspect the truth is somewhere in the middle, which seems to be the more general consensus.

2. Entirely possible, but it's not like she was a stranger to writing serialized fiction. Her first five novels were one big series.

3. I've never heard that, in fact, all the press and all the buzz about the movie is that Katniss Everdeen, the main character, is the anti-Bella. Strong, confident, grounded, all the things that Bella is not.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 28 2012, 09:19 AM)

1. I've also heard that it's a derivative piece of junk. I suspect the truth is somewhere in the middle, which seems to be the more general consensus.

2. Entirely possible, but it's not like she was a stranger to writing serialized fiction. Her first five novels were one big series.

3. I've never heard that, in fact, all the press and all the buzz about the movie is that Katniss Everdeen, the main character, is the anti-Bella. Strong, confident, grounded, all the things that Bella is not.

That's why I love Katniss. She can take care of herself, and she's not super preoccupied with her love life. (compared to bella 062802puke_prv.gif)

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Mar 28 2012, 10:40 AM)
Not to be a troll, I've never even read the books. This movie cheeses me off though because stupid "news & entertainment" sites refer to it as "Games" and I always click thinking it has to do with "Game of Thrones". Grrrrr. angry.gif

Godeater!!! Good to see you out there kicking around! 1022.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 28 2012, 10:19 AM)

Katniss is no Bella. She's tough, and there's far more to her than, "OMG, I will DIE without a boyfriend!"

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 28 2012, 02:59 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 28 2012, 10:19 AM)

Katniss is no Bella. She's tough, and there's far more to her than, "OMG, I will DIE without a boyfriend!"

She's actually the opposite. She doesn't want to get married, she doesn't want kids, she just wants to protect her family.

Way better then the whiny emo chick who has a mystical creature fetish.

I don't think The Hunger Games was written by a devout Mormon, so it has that going for it. Not a knock on Mormons in particular either, it's just that Twilight clearly comes from a conservative, proper bent that, to me, causes the story to suffer rather than live up to its potential.

Saw The Hunger Games last night. Very good adaptation of the book. Of coarse reading any book is more magical then a movie, but still. It was very well done. I doubt many of the haters would still be haters after seeing the movie. Its a good movie. However I do understand when something is over hyped big time it becomes a turnoff.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 29 2012, 06:07 AM)
I don't think The Hunger Games was written by a devout Mormon, so it has that going for it. Not a knock on Mormons in particular either, it's just that Twilight clearly comes from a conservative, proper bent that, to me, causes the story to suffer rather than live up to its potential.

http://www.cvreefers.org/images/smilies/dazed024.gif

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Mar 29 2012, 07:16 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 29 2012, 06:07 AM)
I don't think The Hunger Games was written by a devout Mormon, so it has that going for it.  Not a knock on Mormons in particular either, it's just that Twilight clearly comes from a conservative, proper bent that, to me, causes the story to suffer rather than live up to its potential.

http://www.cvreefers.org/images/smilies/dazed024.gif

No, he's right. There are some authors whose personal background gets in the way of the story they're trying to tell. Another example of this is Orson Scott Card.

Twilight could have been a really exciting story - a human caught between the worlds of vampires and werewolves? Could have been epic. But aside from getting tweens and repressed housewives excited, it falls completely flat.

I've been wanting to read this whole thread, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Let me just say though that the wife and I both saw the movie yesterday (never read the book(s) ) and we both LOVED it! Seriously, this is an awesome movie and a modern-day sci-fi classic.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif trink39.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 29 2012, 07:07 AM)
I don't think The Hunger Games was written by a devout Mormon, so it has that going for it.  Not a knock on Mormons in particular either, it's just that Twilight clearly comes from a conservative, proper bent that, to me, causes the story to suffer rather than live up to its potential.

Nah, it was just bad writing. Maybe there's LDS influence in there, maybe not, but I don't think the author's religious bent had anything to do with Meyer being unable to develop anything other than one-dimensional characters.

Edited by Mara

Okay, first of all, sorry for getting this thread all sidetracked onto the discussion of Twilight and S. Meyer being... Mormon. And I have read that throughout the series she makes a few references to that... But they're not particularly obvious in any way, at least not when I read it. I think the Cullen house had some sort of cross on the front or something. I don't remember.

In any case, you guys have solidified my initial belief that said person(s) was just trolling around. Which would make sense, since HG is hugely popular and sometimes it's fun to get a rise out of people.