My Favourite Headache

Priest2112

Hi all

Just a quick post to say how much I love Geddy's solo album.

Despite being into Rush for several years, it has, until now, completely bypassed me.

Some really great songs, and a sound and song structure that kind of reminds me of Vapor Trails in many ways, which I guess makes sense given the year it was released.

Has any of it ever been played live? Did he tour to support the album at the time?

2.gif

It is a great album(better then some Rush albums) and he did not tour to support it.

Although he didn't tour, I saw him sing "My Favourite Headache" live on "Canada AM" at the time. That's what prompted me to buy the album. I later heard that he did a record signing somewhere, but obviously not in my part of the country or I would have been there!

I love the album, but other than the title song, it took awhile to grow on me. My favourites are "The Present Tense" and "Grace to Grace."

I agree with everything the OP said except that it does not come close to reminding me of Vapor Trails. VT is much much heavier. If I were to compare it to any Rush album it might be Snakes and Arrows

It's really a great effort from Geddy. Favorites are Runaway Train, the title track, Home on the Strange and Grace to Grace

Great Album IMHO

I took a solo road trip to VEGAS & Played it for those 3/4 days

Now when I revisit this Album I flashback to that Vegas Trip

W O N D E R F U L ! ! ! yes.gif

tongue.gif

other than the title track, I never listen to it and don't think any of it is that interesting. Geddy's post-1970s screech voice outside of Rush (and even a lot of songs with them) I don't find fun to listen to. The bass work is fine but the album is just boring. I'd rather listen to Victor, now that album had some cool edgy songs going on in it. 'Promise' and 'I Am The Spirit' are very very good. Edited by jnoble

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Dec 7 2011, 12:18 PM)
QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Dec 7 2011, 01:22 AM)
Tony R, did anything concerning Rush ever make you happy?

I think he liked Hemishperes laugh.gif

Oh, I get it. Old Rush good, new Rush bad. What album is the cut off for that?

The nice think about My Favorite Headache was that it didn't suck like so many solo albums do. It also filled that void between Rush albums. I always thought that they would return, but didn't know when so any thing Rush related was welcome. It was made all the better by such good songs. I like Victor, but MFH is sounds like a more complete work to me.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Dec 7 2011, 05:18 PM)
QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Dec 7 2011, 01:22 AM)
Tony R, did anything concerning Rush ever make you happy?

I think he liked Hemishperes laugh.gif

Hemispheres is a good album. Inferior to A Farewell To Kings, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures but good nonetheless.

I was just about to start a thread about 'My Favourite Headache' - glad I saw someone beat me to it!

Just discovered it a few months ago - randomly realized I have it on my computer, added it to my ipod's current seasonal rotation, and hit random. First song from the album that played, 'Still', is my favourite, but also loving 'Window to the World' and the title track.

Love the album - it's neat to hear Geddy singing his own lyrics for the first time since the '70s! I find much of the album to be soothing; I just plain feel good listening to it. It sounds like Geddy's show, which it should, of course; he's in charge. And his vocals are very good.

I keep recommending this album to the Rush fans I know. For anyone that likes Geddy, it's a must-listen.