Talking/Cell Phones in Movie Theaters

USB Connector

I go to the theaters with friends quite often in the summer and a few times during the school year. Two things I constantly notice are the people up in front texting on cell phones and the people nearby who won't stop gossiping for a large chunk of the movie. If the person in question is within arm's reach, I normally tap them on the shoulder and ask them to stop. However, if I'm with a friend and they're 3-4 rows away, I put away the popcorn for a few minutes to avoid temptation of hitting them in the head every 2 minutes.

What do you guys do when someone annoys you?

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 1 2011, 09:48 PM)
I don't get why texting would bother anyone, as long as the phone isn't audible.

It's not the texting itself, but the brightness of the screen that can be seen by almost anyone behind you. Some phones shine brighter than the projector and it can get distracting.

Edited by USB Connector

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Dec 1 2011, 08:53 PM)
I don't get why texting would bother anyone, as long as the phone isn't audible.

It's not the texting itself, but the brightness of the screen that can be seen by almost anyone behind you. Some phones shine brighter than the projector and it can get distracting.

I've never seen that. Not saying it's not true mind you, just that I've never noticed that. Personally, if the battle for my eyeballs is between the giant two-story movie screen or the little 3.5 inch cell phone screen, I think the edge goes to the movie screen tongue.gif

I still like my idea of notifying the theater though. There's no reason to let people ruin your enjoyment of the movie.

Simple. I avoid theaters and just wait until it's either on DVD or PPV.

Movie theaters are just too damned expensive to have to tolerate Other People's Shit.

QUOTE (Mara @ Dec 1 2011, 10:24 PM)
Simple. I avoid theaters and just wait until it's either on DVD or PPV.

Movie theaters are just too damned expensive to have to tolerate Other People's Shit.

Lately, I just avoid movies. NOthing out there captures my attention with maybe the exception of "Anonymous", a film about William Shakespeare.

At the Harry Potter DH Pt. II MIDNIGHT FREAKING PREMIERE there were two guys next to me talking practically the whole movie 'cause I guess one of them didn't understand what was going on. I finally nudged one of the guys and hissed at him to shut up and just watch, but later they kept talking! Ugh!

IF YOU DON'T GET THAT HE DIED GO BACK AND READ THE STUPID BOOK.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Dec 1 2011, 11:29 PM)
At the Harry Potter DH Pt. II MIDNIGHT FREAKING PREMIERE there were two guys next to me talking practically the whole movie 'cause I guess one of them didn't understand what was going on. I finally nudged one of the guys and hissed at him to shut up and just watch, but later they kept talking! Ugh!

SPOILER ^^^^

ph34r.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 1 2011, 10:27 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Dec 1 2011, 10:24 PM)
Simple.  I avoid theaters and just wait until it's either on DVD or PPV. 

Lately, I just avoid movies. NOthing out there captures my attention with maybe the exception of "Anonymous", a film about William Shakespeare.

I really want to see that movie. yes.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Dec 1 2011, 10:32 PM)

SPOILER ^^^^

ph34r.gif

Mild spoiler. He didn't specify who. Lots of people died, but that's not exactly a big secret since people died in all the books and movies up to that point wink.gif

Edited by danielmclark

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 1 2011, 11:37 PM)

SPOILER ^^^^

ph34r.gif

Mild spoiler. He didn't specify who. Lots of people died, but that's not exactly a big secret since people died in all the books and movies up to that point wink.gif

People died?

ohmy.gif

SPOILER ^^^^

ph34r.gif

"He"?

"He"!?

wink.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif

Lol! I was being ambiguous for that very reason. I could be talking about some ant Harry may have accidentally stepped on for all you know.

Anyways. Yeah. When I pay a ridiculous amount of money to go to a midnight premiere I want to enjoy the movie. |:

QUOTE (goose @ Dec 1 2011, 11:44 PM)

SPOILER ^^^^

ph34r.gif

People died?

ohmy.gif

I thought they were casting... sleeping charms? confused13.gif

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Dec 1 2011, 11:57 PM)

SPOILER ^^^^

ph34r.gif

People died?

ohmy.gif

Spells that put you into an endless coma! yes.gif

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Dec 1 2011, 11:57 PM)

SPOILER ^^^^

ph34r.gif

People died?

ohmy.gif

You mean they weren't firing roofies in vapor form at each other?!

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Dec 1 2011, 11:56 PM)
i can't say ive ever had a problem with anyone talking louder than the movie...if they're talking softer than the movie, who cares? I also don't care about texting.

i agree. The only thing I can't stand in a theater is the mom with 9 kids and 4 of them are running around and she is completely oblivious to what they're doing.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Dec 2 2011, 12:56 AM)
i can't say ive ever had a problem with anyone talking louder than the movie...if they're talking softer than the movie, who cares? I also don't care about texting.

Ever been to a movie whose target demographic is African-American? It's annoying if you aren't prepared, hilarious fun if you are. I've had an experience or two where it almost approached audience participation performance art. Much talking to the screen, yelling at the characters to do (or don't do) this or that.

QUOTE (Mara @ Dec 2 2011, 08:53 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Dec 2 2011, 12:56 AM)
i can't say ive ever had a problem with anyone talking louder than the movie...if they're talking softer than the movie, who cares?  I also don't care about texting.

Ever been to a movie whose target demographic is African-American? It's annoying if you aren't prepared, hilarious fun if you are. I've had an experience or two where it almost approached audience participation performance art. Much talking to the screen, yelling at the characters to do (or don't do) this or that.

So basically any Tyler Perry movie? tongue.gif

White people never have any fun. sad.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 1 2011, 11:16 PM)

I've never seen that. Not saying it's not true mind you, just that I've never noticed that. Personally, if the battle for my eyeballs is between the giant two-story movie screen or the little 3.5 inch cell phone screen, I think the edge goes to the movie screen tongue.gif

I still like my idea of notifying the theater though. There's no reason to let people ruin your enjoyment of the movie.

USB is right. The light is bright and extremely distracting if the person is right next to you.

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 3 2011, 11:16 PM)

USB is right. The light is bright and extremely distracting if the person is right next to you.

Put the phone away and shut the f**k up for the 1-2 hrs. Sheesh. laugh.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 3 2011, 10:16 PM)

However, the person isn't too bright.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 1 2011, 09:16 PM)

I don't get too excited about the brightness of a 3 inch screen either.... laugh.gif

If I'm at the theater, I'm there to watch a movie....not pay attention to what people around me are doing.