Is there a good Genesis documentary?

circumstantial tree

I would love to get my hands on a good documentary about Genesis that is like the one I have about Yes.

Is there one out there?

There are a few that have been released which are worthwhile.

On the recent box set releases, there are interviews for each album with the members of the band going into detail about how the songs were written and the band in general at that time. Some of them are very informative and detailed, with the Gabriel years boxset containing the longest interviews. On The Lamb DVD, that interview alone is almost an hour long.

Back in about 1990 or 1991, a video (yes VHS, this one has sadly not been released on DVD) called Genesis: A History was released which is very good and very detailed with a runtime of about 90 minutes. However, this only covers the history up until just before the We Can't Dance album.

There is also the VH1 Behind The Music episode (which was updated and released with their last boxset containing concert DVD's called The Movie Box) which was not bad. However, its quite fast paced and does not really do their history a lot of justice I feel. It misses some points.

Then, in 2001 there was a DVD released called The Genesis Songbook, which featured an hour long documentary on the band with all members involved, which I felt was much better than the Behind The Music episode. Also the extras on this disc are worth it alone, due to some extra footage and interviews, and also some acoustic performances of a few songs. The version of Afterglow on there is beautiful.

After their 2007 reunion tour concluded they released When In Rome, featuring the entire concert from Rome, which was a free gig that attracted upwards 500 000 people. It is a 3 disc set, and the 3rd disc features a GREAT documentary on how the tour came about, with rehearsal footage, as well as LOTS of behind the scenes stuff which is a real treat.

I'd definitely recommend The Genesis Songbook, or the When In Rome set. Songbook will give you the history of the band, while the When In Rome set documentary (titled Come Rain Or Shine) really gives you a great glimpse of that fantastic tour. The interviews on the box sets are amazing as well if you are willing to shell out for them.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 23 2011, 11:23 AM)
I remember watching a documentary on VH1. It was pretty good.

Yes, I remember seeing this, and it was good.

I am still waiting for the 3 Sides Live and Mama Tour dvds :waiting:

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Nov 23 2011, 04:35 PM)
(a little specialized, but):

the DVD's that come with Rhino's box sets offer great documentary commentaries (from Pete, Steve, Phil, Mike and Tony) about the albums, specifically

Yep. They're excellent.

The Genesis Songbook is a pretty good one too.

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Nov 23 2011, 05:12 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 23 2011, 11:23 AM)
I remember watching a documentary on VH1. It was pretty good.

Yes, I remember seeing this, and it was good.

I am still waiting for the 3 Sides Live and Mama Tour dvds :waiting:

They were released 2 years ago in The Movie Box 1981-2007 box set, both with newly remixed sound. The Mama Tour DVD has a nifty little extra on it too, Phil shot some home video footage of the making of the 1983 Genesis album, and they included it. Very neat to see them working on the songs!

EDIT: These are only included in the box set. They have not been released separately.

Edited by bigman208

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Nov 23 2011, 10:58 PM)
What's the Yes documentary you've seen that's good?

This one in the Classic Artist series.

http://www.mwe3.com/reviews/images/YesDVD08.jpg

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Nov 25 2011, 10:00 AM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Nov 23 2011, 10:58 PM)
What's the Yes documentary you've seen that's good?

This one in the Classic Artist series.

http://www.mwe3.com/reviews/images/YesDVD08.jpg

Thank you trink39.gif