Geddy must be really bad live now!!

reani14

QUOTE (grand phil-nale @ Nov 27 2011, 01:02 AM)
Never understood why he chose to sing the pre-chrous in TSS so high. I much prefer the more laid back vocal styling on the studio version. You'd think at his age he'd use that to his advantage.

With you there, I don't get why he chose to sing higher either. The way he sings it on the studio version would be far easier to pull off live and I think suits the music better.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Nov 26 2011, 07:23 PM)
Freewil and Time Stand Still were both pretty bad vocally. Not just the sound of his voice, but terribly off key in spots....

I have to disagree about him being "off-key". I have listened to time machine as well as numerous youtube vids and his tuning sounds fine to me - maybe a few warbles here and there (eg. Time Stand Still) but that's not the same as singing out of tune. Give an example of part of a song you think is "off-key".

Edited by Drummerrobin

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

iam with you on the tss as far as him singing the that part high.. I loved the studio version, but the prefect live version of time stand still to me is the show of hands. He sounded perfect in that version. another good version is a bootleg called garden road from 12/91 NY where he sounded great doing it too.

Well, Geddy has gradually altered his VocusOperandi over the years. I mean, listen to/watch Finding My Way live via that black&white GooTube from the era... that sh*t rocks! Am I wrong?

Likewise the lower register stuff into the eighties: vastly different, but very nice.

Back to the main point: the Time Machine DVD promo clip features (ironically enough) the very same section that someone uploaded (again, on GooFloob) to heartlessly ridicule a reGEDible moment: "...laughing out loud with fear and hope, I've got a desperate plan..."

Maybe they included that in the trailer as a response to this very question. Either way, I have to admit (most reGEDibly), it is painful to watch.

I just hope he is okay.

Ok, here is my view on Geddy's voice circa 2011 leg of Time machine Tour. I have compared vocals from Albuqueque 6/29/2010 (1st night of the TM tour), Irvine CA 8/31/2010, Chicago IL 4/12/2011, and the beloved Time Machine Cleveland 4/15/2011. As a point of reference I also listened to S&A Live from 2008 and R30 from 2004. I used Limelight as the comparison track, focusing on some of the more strenuous parts ("...all the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players, performers and portrayers...").

Alb. NM 6/29/2010: 1st night of the tour, the magic is there. No strained notes, the ethereal quality of the vocal is there. It doesn't sound strained or hoarse. And this is from a boot, I'm sure it sounded better live.

Irvine CA 8/31/2010: Still got the goods. Maybe a tremor here and there, but nothing bad. Still the good clear Geddy feel. Harmony is great, tuning is fine, vocals are strong.

Chi. IL 4/12/2011: Well, not the same as the beginning of 2010 TM. A bit more strained and even slightly hoarse. An 8 vs. the 10 of opening night.

Cleve. TM 4/15/2011: 3rd concert in 4 nights and it shows. The band was off on the 14th and Geddy likely followed his ritual of a late sleep in, mellow day, good dinner. His voice does sound hoarse, akin to singing with a cold. The magic is there, but it is not a 10. At points Ged sounds awesome, others a bit flat and not as harmonic as other shows. In tune but slightly flat. IMHO he was sick this night and had been sick for the week prior.

S&A Live: Clear harmonic and beautiful.

R30 Live: Ditto.

So my conclusion is 2-fold: 1) Ged was clearly sick and battled through a schedule of performances. Unfortunately TM was being recorded on 4/15 no matter what 2) a little bit of Father Time, although much less than the this Post and Forum suggest. Overall, Ged is fine but Rush needs to do less shows and avoid 5 shows a week. 2 - 3 a week without back to back nights is what the Dr ordered. Then Ged will sound glorious like it was 2008 all over again

2.gif

Edited by Blue2112

Btw a final review of Limelight from Ridgefield WA 6/28/2011 sees the strong Ged voice returned. No hoarseness and the ethereal magic of Limelight is back! cool.gif

Clearly he was sick during the filming/recording of Time Machine!

Edited by Blue2112

QUOTE (eshine @ Nov 26 2011, 07:36 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Nov 26 2011, 07:23 PM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Nov 26 2011, 04:13 PM)
QUOTE (reani14 @ Nov 26 2011, 06:39 AM)
freewill and time stand still and terrible on time machine. and vital signs, you can't even hear whats hes singing.. if you dont know the lyrics already.

He nails freewill "and" time machine.

You, on the other hand, cant even nail the proper keys on a computer to formulate cohesive sentences (although we all know you are just a "normal" member posing as someone else, which in itself is sadder then Geddy's most aweful night behind the mic)

Freewil and Time Stand Still were both pretty bad vocally. Not just the sound of his voice, but terribly off key in spots....

But they weren't, and this is the problem with these criticisms is that they are factually incorrect.

I don't think Geddy has ever given TSS a proper vocal treatement live - and he does warble a bit in spots - but terribly off-key? What is your definition of off-key? In a purely musical context - he is singing in-key.

Freewill he simply nails - better then he did decades ago, actually.

He was such an inconsistant vocalist that they switched over to Distant Early Warning to avoid the "cell of awareness" vocal during the RTB tour.

I don't know man, my kids just look at each other and laugh when Ged sings.

Out of the mouths of babes kind of thing.

QUOTE (Blue2112 @ Dec 4 2011, 11:08 AM)
Overall, Ged is fine but Rush needs to do less shows and avoid 5 shows a week. 2 - 3 a week without back to back nights is what the Dr ordered. Then Ged will sound glorious like it was 2008 all over again 2.gif

Yes, and normally, they would have stuck to this, but the rescheduling issue crowded the shows too close together. It was just really, really bad luck. Someone on the forum suggested that they should have decided to film another show that was not so close to others and where Geddy wasn't sick, despite the cost that would have been involved. They gambled on staying the course, and depending on who you ask, lost or won.

I saw him last year and thought he sounded stellar. I've never had a problem with him; I want to hear Geddy, not a "singer". He's technically nothing as far as his voice goes, in all likelihood, but he's what I enjoy hearing and what I expect to hear when I hear Rush.

Plus, he's playing bass and synth while he does it, so it would take a person with equal multitasking credentials to oppose him.