Geddy must be really bad live now!!

reani14

I'd far rather a world where Rush still made albums than not.

If a studio album every 3 or 4 years is what it comes down to then that's fine by me, there's absolutely no sign (to my ears) that they have lost the art of making a great record.

I agree Geddy's voice has it's bad nights but as said, it's only to be expected & it's not every night either.

I just hope they do not stop, not for a long while yet.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Nov 22 2011, 07:07 AM)

His bass playing aint what it used to be either. What do you expect? I'm sure thier wives could tell you.  confused13.gif

Really? I think his bass playing on the TM release is incredible. Though he has been somewhat lazy in the studio as of late. His bass playing on S&A is a snooze fest.

QUOTE (gelat @ Nov 23 2011, 11:21 AM)
I will say this - I saw Aerosmith in Irvine, CA this last summer, and Steven Tyler sounded exactly the same as he did 35 years ago, especially singing Dream on

Steven Tyler really is a freak of nature. His voice became raspier and lost its "purity" pretty early on in his career, but he's sounded pretty much the same ever since the Rocks days.

QUOTE (Gixxerman001 @ Nov 22 2011, 09:10 AM)
I'd far rather a world where Rush still made albums than not.
If a studio album every 3 or 4 years is what it comes down to then that's fine by me, there's absolutely no sign (to my ears) that they have lost the art of making a great record.

I agree Geddy's voice has it's bad nights but as said, it's only to be expected & it's not every night either.

I just hope they do not stop, not for a long while yet.

Well said !

QUOTE (Tony R @ Nov 14 2011, 05:37 PM)
... No Rush fan really critiques Lee's voice any more, we've already made our peace with it ...

Wow. VERRRRRY well said. For any one who can't get past his voice, they are welcome to not buy the albums and concert tickets any more. The rest of, meanwhile, thank God that we live in a world where new Rush albums and concert tickets exist ... especially in (my personal opinion) this current era's abyss of quality new music.

Edited by 01GT Eibach

QUOTE (01GT Eibach @ Nov 25 2011, 02:13 PM)
... No Rush fan really critiques Lee's voice any more, we've already made our peace with it ...

Wow. VERRRRRY well said. For any one who can't get past his voice, they are welcome to not buy the albums and concert tickets any more.

Oh, right. The old "if you don't love what Geddy's voice has changed into, just stop being a fan" argument. Cool, I've been waiting for that one.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 16 2011, 03:09 AM)
In all fairness, that Rotterdam show was the very last show of a long tour. Geddy's voice was tired. Probably not the best show to make a video from.

No. Helsinki was. Suomi Perkele ; )

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 25 2011, 06:15 PM)
Oh, right. The old "if you don't love what Geddy's voice has changed into, just stop being a fan" argument. Cool, I've been waiting for that one.

As opposed to hoping and praying they stay Rush fans?? Really, what does it matter?

I have been around long enough to see Rush fans drop off at various stages for all kinds of reasons. ALOT of people dropped off at Hemispheres thinking it was too conceptual and self-indulgent. A MASSIVE dropping-off-point was the keyboard era of G/P and HYF. I remember some dumping out on Rush with Roll the Bones thinking it was too archaic and out of touch compared to the current music at that time (Nirvana and AIC anyone?). It is bound to happen.

My point is ... there will always be fans dropping off for whatever reason. And so what? I am just glad that Rush is still around, so that -- us fans -- still have the OPTION of deciding if we still like it or not. I can understand why some would leave for the door, but ... as the original poster said ... most of us that have stuck around this long have made peace with it. And we are okay the fact that Ged will never sing again like he did on "Bastille Day" or "Finding My Way". It is what it is ... and what it "is" still sounds pretty to good to my ears.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 25 2011, 05:15 PM)
QUOTE (01GT Eibach @ Nov 25 2011, 02:13 PM)

Wow. VERRRRRY well said. For any one who can't get past his voice, they are welcome to not buy the albums and concert tickets any more.

no shortage of those type on this forum.....

QUOTE (reani14 @ Nov 26 2011, 06:39 AM)
freewill and time stand still and terrible on time machine. and vital signs, you can't even hear whats hes singing.. if you dont know the lyrics already.

He nails freewill "and" time machine.

You, on the other hand, cant even nail the proper keys on a computer to formulate cohesive sentences (although we all know you are just a "normal" member posing as someone else, which in itself is sadder then Geddy's most aweful night behind the mic)

freewill and time stand still and terrible on time machine. and vital signs, you can't even hear whats hes singing.. if you dont know the lyrics already.

no.gif You are wrong.

That night he sang Freewill better than I've heard him sing it in YEARS, I was there! I'm watching the blu-ray right now. Freewill is playing and it's just as I remember it from Cleveland! It's not the Freewill of 1980 but it's as good as anyone is going to get to it in 2011.

QUOTE (reani14 @ Nov 14 2011, 04:59 PM)
I talked to a few people in the last couple days that saw time machine on comcast and they all started burning on geddys voice. They all say. I can;t understand whats hes singing>? why is that guy straining and screaming..

And guess what? People have been "burning" (whatever that means) on Geddy's voice since it was first recorded. f**k the haters and f**k those who spread their hate with inane threads like this one.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Nov 26 2011, 05:38 PM)
... People have been "burning" (whatever that means) on Geddy's voice since it was first recorded ...

So true!!!! I remember reading a review in Rolling Stone in the late 70s that Geddy sounded "like a cross between Robert Plant and Donald Duck". I never forgot that ... and that was back when he had every inch of his voice!!!

QUOTE (eshine @ Nov 26 2011, 04:13 PM)

You, on the other hand, cant even nail the proper keys on a computer to formulate cohesive sentences (although we all know you are just a "normal" member posing as someone else, which in itself is sadder then Geddy's most aweful night behind the mic)

Freewil and Time Stand Still were both pretty bad vocally. Not just the sound of his voice, but terribly off key in spots....

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Nov 26 2011, 07:23 PM)

Freewil and Time Stand Still were both pretty bad vocally. Not just the sound of his voice, but terribly off key in spots....

But they weren't, and this is the problem with these criticisms is that they are factually incorrect.

I don't think Geddy has ever given TSS a proper vocal treatement live - and he does warble a bit in spots - but terribly off-key? What is your definition of off-key? In a purely musical context - he is singing in-key.

Freewill he simply nails - better then he did decades ago, actually.

He was such an inconsistant vocalist that they switched over to Distant Early Warning to avoid the "cell of awareness" vocal during the RTB tour.

QUOTE (eshine @ Nov 26 2011, 06:36 PM)

But they weren't, and this is the problem with these criticisms is that they are factually incorrect.

I don't think Geddy has ever given TSS a proper vocal treatement live - and he does warble a bit in spots - but terribly off-key? What is your definition of off-key? In a purely musical context - he is singing in-key.

He was such an inconsistant vocalist that they switched over to Distant Early Warning to avoid the "cell of awareness" vocal during the RTB tour.

I'm not going to argue this. Plain and simple (IMO)...The vocals aren't very good on either of those songs. Listen to the pre-chrous and chrous in TSS as a good example....

I have high expectations of Rush, and if they don't meet it.....I will speak out. I think for the most part the Time Machine show is pretty good, but like many others....the vocals bother me.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Nov 26 2011, 07:53 PM)

I'm not going to argue this. Plain and simple (IMO)...The vocals aren't very good on either of those songs. Listen to the pre-chrous and chrous in TSS as a good example....

Never understood why he chose to sing the pre-chrous in TSS so high. I much prefer the more laid back vocal styling on the studio version. You'd think at his age he'd use that to his advantage.

Edited by grand phil-nale