My .02 of Time Machine Live

garyg7133

After listening to the CD and watching the BluRay there are a couple of great and not so great points for me.

The CD : I love the production. It is a very accurate (other than the "fix" of Presto) recording and it really makes for a great memento of this tour. The lone "gripe" if you will is that while it's great that Geddy's vocals are mixed extremely well, he really does struggle in a few places. Yes, I know he's getting a little long in the tooth and it's harder to hit the notes. I am not saying this takes away from the cd for me because it absolutely doesn't. It's Rush and they're always going to be my favorite band.

The BluRay : This to me is the absolute pinnacle of a live DVD. Obviously people will nitpick the setlist for whatever THEY like or dislike. What I absolutely cannot get over is how well it's directed and edited. This stage production was a departure from previous tours with no lasers and a completely innovative lighting and video production. I had seats in two separate locations for 2 shows on this tour. One was up front and one was up and to the side and if I had it to do again, I would have sat farther from the stage so that I could enjoy the stage production. In this dvd, I feel as though they went out of their way to present the entire show and submerge the viewer in both the music AND the "show". I love that some of the camera angles were not mobile cameras and were simply set on a spot on the stage while others afforded the slow, panning view of the entire stage as the lights moved out over the audience. It's an amazing overall production that, once I was able to get by some of the rougher vocals, is tops on my list. As for standout moments in the show itself, Presto is always going to be a favorite, but I could not get over how they absolutely tore up The Camera Eye at this particular show. Geddy and Alex seemed to find a surge in energy for this one and it was VERY evident that they were having a good time doing it.

If I had to pick a "peeve" it would be that the " I love you man " ending was left out and as I stated in another post, they should have left the Presto flub in there. It wasn't anything major and really, how many perfect performance can we listen to? smile.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (garyg7133 @ Nov 9 2011, 08:10 PM)
After listening to the CD and watching the BluRay there are a couple of great and not so great points for me.
The CD : I love the production. It is a very accurate (other than the "fix" of Presto) recording and it really makes for a great memento of this tour. The lone "gripe" if you will is that while it's great that Geddy's vocals are mixed extremely well, he really does struggle in a few places. Yes, I know he's getting a little long in the tooth and it's harder to hit the notes. I am not saying this takes away from the cd for me because it absolutely doesn't. It's Rush and they're always going to be my favorite band.
The BluRay : This to me is the absolute pinnacle of a live DVD. Obviously people will nitpick the setlist for whatever THEY like or dislike. What I absolutely cannot get over is how well it's directed and edited. This stage production was a departure from previous tours with no lasers and a completely innovative lighting and video production. I had seats in two separate locations for 2 shows on this tour. One was up front and one was up and to the side and if I had it to do again, I would have sat farther from the stage so that I could enjoy the stage production. In this dvd, I feel as though they went out of their way to present the entire show and submerge the viewer in both the music AND the "show". I love that some of the camera angles were not mobile cameras and were simply set on a spot on the stage while others afforded the slow, panning view of the entire stage as the lights moved out over the audience. It's an amazing overall production that, once I was able to get by some of the rougher vocals, is tops on my list.  As for standout moments in the show itself, Presto is always going to be a favorite, but I could not get over how they absolutely tore up The Camera Eye at this particular show. Geddy and Alex seemed to find a surge in energy for this one and it was VERY evident that they were having a good time doing it.
If I had to pick a "peeve" it would be that the " I love you man " ending was left out and as I stated in another post, they should have left the Presto flub in there. It wasn't anything major and really, how many perfect performance can we listen to? smile.gif  2.gif

Yeah, I was a bit bummed by the fact the I Love You Man video was left off, but hey, what can you do if it's because of copyright issues? I was very impressed with the CD, I don't care if people think the sound is crappy because other than wishing that the drums were more in your face like R30, it was probably the best live album soundwise since Different Stages. I may be biased about this, but I thought the MSG was a better show performance wise, but they were on fire on this show as well. Better than Rio? Maybe it's as good as Rio. As for the Presto fix...well with every live album I've owned regardless of who it is, there will always be overdubs of some sort whether it was fixing a flaw or adding in vocals in places where they let the audience sing (i.e: Iron Maiden's Rock In Rio). I mean I wouldn't mind if they kept in the flub myself, but if it bothered Geddy so much, I don't blame him for wanting to fix it, you know? Both the audio and video for Live In Cleveland makes me hope that there will be a DVD for the Clockwork Angels tour, or at least a live CD of the tour.

I have the DVD version of it and it looks incredibly HD for being a standard DVD...I was thinking of picking up the BluRay w/the Rash shirt later this week because I have a feeling I'm missing something that I'm not quite getting on the DVD version...I have a Playstation 3 so I don't need to worry about buying a BluRay player. Is it worth the extra money to get the BluRay edition?

That's what I intentionally planned to do but for whatever reason, they only had the standalone DVD, the CD, and the BluRay with the Rash shirt at my Best Buy. I didn't have enough money with me at the time so that's why I bought the DVD and CD and not the BluRay. I got the DVD for $14.99.

I went blu-ray all the way. I don't buy blu ray unless it's something that I KNOW I'm going to watch over and over. That said, I've seen so much of a difference in the picture quality over some dvds vs blu-ray discs that I would have to say "worth it". I didn't go for the deluxe package with the shirt. I need another t-shirt like I need a hole in my head ;P 2.gif

the presto flub was that geddy missed a cue during the solo part, check out the other threads on the subject. I do like the fact that geddy acknowledges the screw up at the end of the song.

great pic and sound mostly

new end video is really funny, i love the polka version of CTTH and country version og TSOR

I saw myself in the audience

Dislikes

no i love you man

alot of blue flairing

I wish the audience had been mic'd i can tell you during 2112 that the "HEYs" were loud can barely hear them on my bluray

not enough pics of me HA HA

QUOTE (garyg7133 @ Nov 9 2011, 08:10 PM)
The BluRay : This to me is the absolute pinnacle of a live DVD. Obviously people will nitpick the setlist for whatever THEY like or dislike. What I absolutely cannot get over is how well it's directed and edited. This stage production was a departure from previous tours with no lasers and a completely innovative lighting and video production. I had seats in two separate locations for 2 shows on this tour. One was up front and one was up and to the side and if I had it to do again, I would have sat farther from the stage so that I could enjoy the stage production. In this dvd, I feel as though they went out of their way to present the entire show and submerge the viewer in both the music AND the "show". I love that some of the camera angles were not mobile cameras and were simply set on a spot on the stage while others afforded the slow, panning view of the entire stage as the lights moved out over the audience. It's an amazing overall production that, once I was able to get by some of the rougher vocals, is tops on my list. As for standout moments in the show itself, Presto is always going to be a favorite, but I could not get over how they absolutely tore up The Camera Eye at this particular show. Geddy and Alex seemed to find a surge in energy for this one and it was VERY evident that they were having a good time doing it.
If I had to pick a "peeve" it would be that the " I love you man " ending was left out and as I stated in another post, they should have left the Presto flub in there. It wasn't anything major and really, how many perfect performance can we listen to? smile.gif 2.gif

Excellent point about the production. The way this thing was done is different than any other Rush production that I have seen, and I have all of them. I think this is the single greatest music concert dvd I have ever seen.

Sound: DTS mixed to perfection. I am very picky about sound. You have entered a mud-free zone!! The drum mix is the best I have heard from Rush. I feel like Neil has stolen the show! (and I'm a bass player). There is so much clarity and warmth to the overall sound of each instrument (especially drums).

Visually: this is a feast for the eyes. The camera angles are amazing. You actually see the guys playing something longer than a second before the camera moves, none of this hyper camera switching. You are presented a view of the show they way you would naturally want to see it, and then drawn in close. very intimate in my opinion. I love the colour (especially the blue that some are complaining about) I am watching it on a 60" plasma, so it's all good. The production is just insane.

Chops: the boys are on, I don't know what else to say. Again, because of the sound production I am hearing things that I have not heard in years. It's like all of sudden the old Neil Peart is back. Am I the only one who is noticing this about the drums?

Setlist: No complaints here because when you look at it, you get MP in it's entirety including the camera Eye in all it's glory (the whole thing), plus other cool stuff and some good experimentation by the band (CTTH, Working Man etc). The value of getting the entire MP is totally worth not getting other songs I already have a million times already.

My prediction: word of mouth will spread on how well this thing was done and a whole new generation of Rush fans will come and Rush will finally get their props for bringing to light a snapshot of one amazing body of work. This blue-ray/dvd will get noticed.

CD: very good sound, not as good as DS, but still way better than RIO-S&A. I have not loaded it on my ipod yet. the sound could get better because I can play around with the setting on my ipod to take out any boomyness. it sounds great in the car and in the house, not nearly as good as the blue-ray (though I don't understand why), but still very good.

This is a good day for Rush- and there is another studio cd on the way!! yeah baby, yeah!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree that the direction and editing on this one is far superior to the previous releases. I've been addicted to watching it since I got it. To me it had this completely different feeling to it than any of the other DVDs and I couldn't put my finger on it. Finally I realized it's because the directing is so much better. They're showing you exactly what you want to be seeing at each given moment. Whichever one of them has an outstanding lick/fill/whatever at that moment, that's who they focus on. Not only that, but they let it breathe instead of cutting to five other shots in a matter of five seconds. As much as I love, for example, Rush in Rio, it definitely didn't have the same satisfying quality, and I often felt I wanted to be looking somewhere other than what they were showing me or that they left it too quickly. Time Machine makes it look amateurish in comparison. Kudos to the two guys who also directed BTLS, and here's hoping they'll continue to do any future shows.

After viewing a few times I still prefer the Snakes Blu Ray. Just the whole combination of the set list and performance seem to make it more viewable. Also feel like they were trying too hard with this one on stage and in post production to make it "too perfect". Kinda like ESL way back when. I love that live album but was overproduced to make it sound too studio like versus All The World's which is just raw and they way it went down. Sometimes less is more. After all we want a keepsake of what we experienced at the shows and not necessarily what someone else thinks we want, at least in my opinion...

After some time has passed, I still think that this is an amazing DVD. I think I prefer Rio just a tad more but only because the sound is a bit lacking.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Dec 6 2011, 04:55 PM)
After some time has passed, I still think that this is an amazing DVD. I think I prefer Rio just a tad more but only because the sound is a bit lacking.

> Rush in Rio

> Time Machine DVD

> Sound Bit Lacking.

> Lolwhut?

Rush in Rio sounds like it was recorded in a tin can, too Treble-y.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Dec 7 2011, 04:41 AM)

I agree with this. I also think Geddy's bass is too loud in the mix and Alex's guitar too low.

And, personally, I could do without crowds "singing along" in live recordings, but I suppose that's neither here nor there...

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Dec 7 2011, 06:30 AM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Dec 7 2011, 04:41 AM)

I agree with this. I also think Geddy's bass is too loud in the mix and Alex's guitar too low.

And, personally, I could do without crowds "singing along" in live recordings, but I suppose that's neither here nor there...

For those who have a home theater, the 5.1 mix was also difficult to enjoy with too much echo in the rear speakers. But the original source mix was not a success with too much crowd noise.

Oh come on, I mean sure, crowd noise might not be ideal in every or even most cases, but it was special with Rio. The crowd was a big part of what makes that concert great and unique. Hearing the entire place chant along to the beginning of Tom Sawyer, or even to YYZ - and watching the mass of them jump up and down to it in unison - is an awesome experience. I love watching and hearing them all going absolutely insane. That was a crowd like no other and I'm glad it was captured.

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Dec 7 2011, 08:39 PM)
Oh come on, I mean sure, crowd noise might not be ideal in every or even most cases, but it was special with Rio. The crowd was a big part of what makes that concert great and unique. Hearing the entire place chant along to the beginning of Tom Sawyer, or even to YYZ - and watching the mass of them jump up and down to it in unison - is an awesome experience. I love watching and hearing them all going absolutely insane. That was a crowd like no other and I'm glad it was captured.

I don't mind hearing the crowd, but there is a proper way to get a balance between the music and the crowd.

QUOTE (KTMMan @ Dec 6 2011, 11:13 AM)
Kinda like ESL way back when. I love that live album but was overproduced to make it sound too studio like versus All The World's which is just raw and they way it went down.

Given the stash of stuff they have in the vaults somewhere, you have to wonder if there is a full concert film recording of the Moving Pictures Tour. I would ***REALLY*** like to see that.

Just watched first time the first set, with new TV display, some hardware added to sound after that. Few weeks ago, I was with my old setup bit disappointed and stopped after five songs,., now just want to say this is good, very good, solid performance with some salt added. Highlights for me from TM DVD 1 were: Presto, Freewill, Marathon and Subdivisions. Just superb performance. Neil is like a drummer from Muppet show on Free Will, just insane, accurate as always but this.., hard..huh huh smile.gif Tomorrow the second set. Now time to go to sleep after some reading of "Far and Away"..

weatherwise; it's been raining almost every day, no snow at all by the sea. Normally we would have a real winter but now just dark, rain and windy from south-west weeks after week.

I don't expect Geddy to sound like he did in the 70's,80's, and 90's. He has gotten older, and because of this, his voice changed. I have accepted this.

All I know is he's still got that beautiful voice, and the cd set sounds great (haven't watched the DVD yet.) So that's all I care about.