Food quirks

Janie

I'll peel the chocolate off a Little Debbie Swiss Cake Roll (or Hostess Ho-Ho, same thing) very carefully, then unroll it, lick out the cream, and finish with the cake part.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Mara @ Nov 8 2011, 09:49 PM)
I'll peel the chocolate off a Little Debbie Swiss Cake Roll (or Hostess Ho-Ho, same thing) very carefully, then unroll it, lick out the cream, and finish with the cake part.

Ok. That was sexy.

Something similar... Back in the day, I used to love those Suzy Q Hostess cakes. I would separate the cake part, eat only the frosting and then eat the cake part last.

QUOTE (Janie @ Nov 9 2011, 01:59 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Nov 8 2011, 09:49 PM)

Ok. That was sexy.

Something similar... Back in the day, I used to love those Suzy Q Hostess cakes. I would separate the cake part, eat only the frosting and then eat the cake part last.

You ladies should cool it with all your erotic talk before I start to go on about Boston Creme rolls and all that jazz. tongue.gif

The only quirk I have is that I have to do a handstand when I eat a bologna sandwich.

cool10.gif

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

QUOTE (Janie @ Nov 8 2011, 03:55 PM)
QUOTE (Digital Man @ Nov 8 2011, 10:11 AM)
I do not like any of my food to touch the other foods on the plate.  Everything has to have it's own little area.

Except on Thanksgiving, don't know why it's ok on this day but it is.

I've known a few people with this food quirk. I'm curious as to how you feel about casseroles, stews, etc then?

I love stew and casseroles. Shepherd's Pie is one of my favorite meals. Since that is the "food" my brain doesn't count it as food touching each other.

The Thanksgiving thing is weird too. I like to mix the cranberries with turkey and stuffing with turkey too. wacko.gif

At first I was thinking I don't have food quirks, but after some thought, obviously I do:

*On the rare occasion that I eat a Twix bar, I have to take a bite of the chocolate/caramel off the top, leaving the cookie part exposed. I eat that bite of cookie, then take another chocolate caramel bite, then cookie, and so on.

*Like Janie, I eat the foods on my plate in even amounts, so that by the end of the meal, there's one neat bite of every food left to finish on.

*When I eat a burger that I've cooked at home, I always eat Pringles with it. Always. My family likes fries, but I must have Pringles. Reduced-fat, original flavor. I eat one bite of burger, chew a little, then eat a Pringle - and chew it all up together. So, I have to have exactly one Pringle per bite of burger on my plate. I have matured so much since childhood, when I used to put the Pringles ON the burger and smoosh them down. Come to think of it, that really IS more efficient.

*I will not ever drink the milk left over in a cereal bowl. Sometimes I'll add more cereal if I'm hungry, but if not, I pour the milk out. Wasteful, I know, but I can't stand to drink it. It has cereal crumbs left in it. Yuck.

*I like jelly on saltine crackers.

*I love cornbread and milk together, but the cornbread must be hot and the milk very cold.

Yeah. So I really don't have many quirks, food-wise. ph34r.gif

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Nov 8 2011, 10:15 PM)
When eating Pop-Tarts, I have to eat one end, then the two sides, then the middle, and finish with the other end that I've been holding onto.

Same here!

Other than that, not much else weird here other than I eat ketchup with grilled cheese.

I've thought about this for days! Do I even have any food quirks? I'll eat almost anything that I can identify on sight. And, I don't have a problem piling everything on top of each other and just chowing down. But, I'm VERY weird about how my cheeseburgers are stacked.

The bun HAS to be toasted. yes.gif

Cheese on bottom bun, then patty, then pickles, then lettuce, then mustard and ketchup. NEVER put cheese near the pickles, because the pickle juice makes the cheese weird. I won't eat tomatoes on my cheeseburgers because they get mushy and warm and nasty.

If I get fries, they go first. I'd rather eat all of my french fries and not be able to finish my burger. I have a french fry obsession. Once a month. Like clockwork. From McDonalds.

Now, I'm hungry. laugh.gif

Edited by sullysue

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 9 2011, 12:06 PM)
Cheese on bottom bun, then patty, then pickles, then lettuce, then mustard and ketchup. NEVER put cheese near the pickles, because the pickle juice makes the cheese weird.

What are you, Spongebob? laugh.gif

Not a quirk, necessarily, but when it comes to hamburger, I like the meat cooked very well done. With steak, I need some pink in it.

I also like Coke from a plastic glass over a real glass. Somehow it tastes better that way. Oh, and it has to be cold and still have fizz.

QUOTE (Khan @ Nov 9 2011, 10:22 AM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 9 2011, 12:06 PM)
Cheese on bottom bun, then patty, then pickles, then lettuce, then mustard and ketchup. NEVER put cheese near the pickles, because the pickle juice makes the cheese weird.

What are you, Spongebob? laugh.gif

Well... no. unsure.gif But, I would put together one hell of a Crabby Patty, wouldn't I? laugh.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 9 2011, 09:06 AM)
I've thought about this for days! Do I even have any food quirks?

I think a lot of times, we don't know we have a "quirk" until someone points it out.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Nov 9 2011, 08:40 AM)
*I will not ever drink the milk left over in a cereal bowl. Sometimes I'll add more cereal if I'm hungry, but if not, I pour the milk out. Wasteful, I know, but I can't stand to drink it. It has cereal crumbs left in it. Yuck.

I too am not a cereal milk slurper. I love milk. I love cereal. But the milk leftover, as you pointed out, has mushy little cereal bits in it and is a little on the warm side. Makes my stomach turn just thinking about it. To avoid leftover cereal milk, I always use the least amount of milk possible.

This may be a quirk... when I pour a glass of milk to drink, I put a few ice cubes in to keep it ice, ice cold.

QUOTE (Janie @ Nov 9 2011, 11:58 AM)

I think a lot of times, we don't know we have a "quirk" until someone points it out.

The first thing I thought of when I read your reply was Robert on Everyone Loves Raymond where he touches his fork, spoon, potato chip, whatever to his chin before he puts it in his mouth. He's the ONLY one who isn't aware of it. laugh.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Nov 9 2011, 10:40 AM)
*I love cornbread and milk together, but the cornbread must be hot and the milk very cold.

I always thought that was just a southern thing, my grandma was from Louisiana and that's how she'd eat it too.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Nov 9 2011, 11:42 AM)

I always thought that was just a southern thing, my grandma was from Louisiana and that's how she'd eat it too.

Wait. I don't get this. You mean together together. Like, in a bowl? A bowl of milk and cornbread??

QUOTE (Janie @ Nov 9 2011, 05:48 PM)

Wait. I don't get this. You mean together together. Like, in a bowl? A bowl of milk and cornbread??

I've seen it done, and it has just got to be nasty. (But then I am not a cornbread fan generally. If it's a spicy/savory cornbread, as opposed to the sweet kind most Southerners favor, I like it fine. But then the spicy kind would really not go well with milk at all).

Mmmmm, gimme some of that soggy milk-soaked bread. Just no.

I don't really have any quirks, except for drinks.

I cannot and will not drink anything that is really hot or really cold. Everything I drink must be room temperature. When I make tea, I pour in boiling water to the halfway point, then mix in cold water. If I drink bottled water, it's never refrigerated.

Milk is the only exception, for obvious reasons.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 9 2011, 01:10 PM)

The first thing I thought of when I read your reply was Robert on Everyone Loves Raymond where he touches his fork, spoon, potato chip, whatever to his chin before he puts it in his mouth. He's the ONLY one who isn't aware of it. laugh.gif

I like cornbread, but it has to be sugarless. No, not Splenda, literally sweetener-free.

And I like to put maple syrup on it.

I like maple syrup on my eggs as well.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Nov 9 2011, 03:34 PM)

I like cornbread, but it has to be sugarless. No, not Splenda, literally sweetener-free.

Do what you will with maple syrup, but we're still not letting you come to Canada tongue.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Nov 9 2011, 06:34 PM)

I know a lot of people who like to dip their breakfast sausage in maple syrup. Can't say I'm a fan of that.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 9 2011, 09:31 PM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Nov 9 2011, 06:34 PM)

I know a lot of people who like to dip their breakfast sausage in maple syrup. Can't say I'm a fan of that.

My girlfriend is a fan of that. She calls it "breakfast in bed".

I tend to eat all of whatever's on the plate - all the potatoes, then the carrots, then the peas...

My husband does this. I'm more like Janie & Mara: I like to share the love with the food on my plate.

All the chocolate off a snickers bar has to be nibbled off the sides first, then the ends, and then I can start on the rest of it

I eat Baby Ruths like this.

I also like Coke from a plastic glass over a real glass. Somehow it tastes better that way. Oh, and it has to be cold and still have fizz.

Coke from the fountain is so much better than canned or bottled. I'm a Pepsi drinker but if the Coke is "on tap" I will always go for it. Especially in Canada, where they still use actual sugar!

I know a lot of people who like to dip their breakfast sausage in maple syrup.

Oh, yummy!! But I prefer sorghum to maple syrup. Does that mean I can never move to Canada? wink.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Nov 9 2011, 04:02 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Nov 9 2011, 05:48 PM)

I've seen it done, and it has just got to be nasty. (But then I am not a cornbread fan generally. If it's a spicy/savory cornbread, as opposed to the sweet kind most Southerners favor, I like it fine. But then the spicy kind would really not go well with milk at all).

Mmmmm, gimme some of that soggy milk-soaked bread. Just no.

Nope, it doesn't just have to be nasty. biggrin.gif

I don't make sweet cornbread. I make buttermilk cornbread that is light and fluffy and has a golden crust and not one speck of sugar in it.

And yes, Janie, crumbled up in a bowl, with the milk poured over.

Y'all just go ahead and think I'm weird. It's delicious and I've loved it since I was just a wee little Bama gal. smile.gif