Major labels: NO MORE CDs after 2012

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 1 2011, 11:31 AM)
I think there's people out there who want this to happen, that's because they're obsessed with living out every facet of their lives through their little gadgets.

And they say stuff like "Wow man I got all my music on my Ipod, I mean shit I don't want to carry my 5,000 albums around with me everywhere do I??!" but when did anyone ever do that?? confused13.gif

Don't be so quick to go to the extreme and call it gadget obsession. For many people, the iPod (and by extension, computers) are nothing more than a way for people to clear out the clutter in their lives a little bit.

I never had 5,000 CDs, but I've had many hundreds over the years, and would routinely shuffle through them and figure out which two-dozen-or-so I was going to put in the car. Then it was a matter of changing discs while driving, which is kind of a pain when you're manhandling 20 or 30 physical discs, trying to find the one you want.

If I wanted to play some music for a friend, that was another round of shuffling through the discs to find the ones I wanted to bring over - and man, what a pain in the ass when I left discs somewhere. I lost more than a few at various parties. Had more than a few stolen at my own parties.

Nobody has ever stolen my computer, or my iPod, or my iPhone, and I've never lost any of them, either. So... less clutter, easier to maintain, easier to use. I can still have uncompressed audio if I rip it myself or if it's put up for sale online. I'm failing to see a downside. I don't want to see CDs disappear until it's standard practice to make uncompressed files available for sale online. When that happens, good riddance, IMO.

They're just tools, not an obsession. They exist to make life a little less of a hassle in certain areas, that's all.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 1 2011, 02:40 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 1 2011, 11:31 AM)
I think there's people out there who want this to happen, that's because they're obsessed with living out every facet of their lives through their little gadgets.

And they say stuff like "Wow man I got all my music on my Ipod, I mean shit I don't want to carry my 5,000 albums around with me everywhere do I??!" but when did anyone ever do that??  confused13.gif

Don't be so quick to go to the extreme and call it gadget obsession. For many people, the iPod (and by extension, computers) are nothing more than a way for people to clear out the clutter in their lives a little bit.

I never had 5,000 CDs, but I've had many hundreds over the years, and would routinely shuffle through them and figure out which two-dozen-or-so I was going to put in the car. Then it was a matter of changing discs while driving, which is kind of a pain when you're manhandling 20 or 30 physical discs, trying to find the one you want.

If I wanted to play some music for a friend, that was another round of shuffling through the discs to find the ones I wanted to bring over - and man, what a pain in the ass when I left discs somewhere. I lost more than a few at various parties. Had more than a few stolen at my own parties.

Nobody has ever stolen my computer, or my iPod, or my iPhone, and I've never lost any of them, either. So... less clutter, easier to maintain, easier to use. I can still have uncompressed audio if I rip it myself or if it's put up for sale online. I'm failing to see a downside. I don't want to see CDs disappear until it's standard practice to make uncompressed files available for sale online. When that happens, good riddance, IMO.

They're just tools, not an obsession. They exist to make life a little less of a hassle in certain areas, that's all.

Well good for you...and since you're trying to get rid of the clutter I take it you don't burn stuff to discs? Otherwise you're just creating clutter, no?

...but anyway none of that changes the fact that when I buy an album I prefer an actual product I can hold in my hands...and I don't see this changing even if they create an Ipod you can have implanted inside your brain!

Stuff I've downloaded off the net I don't value very much and I tend to not listen to any of it. Can I be bothered burning discs? No.

I don't see why I should condition myself to love mp3s just because Itunes and you seem to want me to...

This is depressing. I have no problem with listening to mp3s on my iPod. I think it's great. But, I want the original version to be CD quality. With the speed of downloading and the size of hard drives, there should be no reason to provide lossless downloads. Download, burn to disc. Simple.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 1 2011, 01:49 PM)
Well good for you...and since you're trying to get rid of the clutter I take it you don't burn stuff to discs? Otherwise you're just creating clutter, no?

...but anyway none of that changes the fact that when I buy an album I prefer an actual product I can hold in my hands...and I don't see this changing even if they create an Ipod you can have implanted inside your brain!

Stuff I've downloaded off the net I don't value very much and I tend to not listen to any of it. Can I be bothered burning discs? No.

I don't see why I should condition myself to love mp3s just because Itunes and you seem to want me to...

I haven't burned a disc in probably... 8 years? 7 years maybe? I see little point in it because when I'm on the move I have the aforementioned portable players and when I'm home I have my computer hooked up to my home theater system or my office speakers. I have no need for discs anymore.

But you're right in that that shouldn't matter to you in your situation. If you prefer physical media, that's understandable. I get it, I honestly do. There was a time when I did, as well, so I really do understand. I'm just not in that head-space anymore.

I don't think you should learn to love MP3's if you don't want to (and certainly not because iTunes or I say you should) - but I do think that in 5 years or so, you're going to have to learn to deal with it because that's the reality of what will happen. I doubt it will be next year, despite what the article linked to in this thread says. But it will happen eventually. And we'll all have to deal with it, the same way we dealt with the move to 8-track, the move to cassette, and the move to CD (and the same way we dealt with 8mm to Beta to VHS to Laserdisc to DVD to Blu-Ray to... whatever's next. Streaming, I guess).

I'm *not* saying you have to like it or that you're wrong for not liking it... this is, after all, a far cry from the format we thought we'd inherit.

See what I did there? wink.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Nov 1 2011, 12:10 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Nov 1 2011, 11:34 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 1 2011, 07:34 AM)
...if the iPod has taught us anything in the past ten years, it's that the vast, vast majority of people don't give a shit about format...

goodpost.gif

and that's why the minority (i.e. people that do care) remain passionate and vocal about their opinions

GIVE US FIDELITY OR GIVE US DEATH!

Some people, usually the younger listeners, don't hear the difference. They never were taught that there is one.

Which is unfortunately true. I hear major differences between a downloaded song from iTunes and the same song on a factory pressed CD. Compression is never good, and even high bitrate mp3s (which I use exclusively) are usually lacking in quality.

I think we should just remember that this is coming from the MAJOR labels, not the small off shoots that not many people flash an eye at. I suspect that vinyl will be in continual stock after 2012 also.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 1 2011, 03:19 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 1 2011, 01:49 PM)

I haven't burned a disc in probably... 8 years? 7 years maybe? I see little point in it because when I'm on the move I have the aforementioned portable players and when I'm home I have my computer hooked up to my home theater system or my office speakers. I have no need for discs anymore.

But you're right in that that shouldn't matter to you in your situation. If you prefer physical media, that's understandable. I get it, I honestly do. There was a time when I did, as well, so I really do understand. I'm just not in that head-space anymore.

I don't think you should learn to love MP3's if you don't want to (and certainly not because iTunes or I say you should) - but I do think that in 5 years or so, you're going to have to learn to deal with it because that's the reality of what will happen. I doubt it will be next year, despite what the article linked to in this thread says. But it will happen eventually. And we'll all have to deal with it, the same way we dealt with the move to 8-track, the move to cassette, and the move to CD (and the same way we dealt with 8mm to Beta to VHS to Laserdisc to DVD to Blu-Ray to... whatever's next. Streaming, I guess).

I'm *not* saying you have to like it or that you're wrong for not liking it... this is, after all, a far cry from the format we thought we'd inherit.

See what I did there? wink.gif laugh.gif

I still think CD albums will be produced by well established bands for as long as they continue.

As physical products fade from the scene though so will my interest until I'm more of casual listener of new material. I'll still have all my old CDs and that will be good enough I expect...

I think it sucks. What happens to those people who don't have the computer or the knowledge to download and burn the CD's?

I always carry several CD's in my car and have no problem sorting through them and finding the one I want while I drive. I like the artwork, lyrics and everything else that comes with the CD I buy.

I just think it's a sad day when we will be forced to get music digitally only! sad.gif

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Nov 1 2011, 04:50 PM)

I think it sucks. What happens to those people who don't have the computer or the knowledge to download and burn the CD's?

I always carry several CD's in my car and have no problem sorting through them and finding the one I want while I drive. I like the artwork, lyrics and everything else that comes with the CD I buy.

I just think it's a sad day when we will be forced to get music digitally only! sad.gif

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 1 2011, 03:49 PM)
.... if they create an Ipod you can have implanted inside your brain!

I've just seen the future!

Let's see....iTunes sells CDs for pretty much the same price as CDs, you don't get a physical copy and you can't download it again so you're pretty screwed if your computer fails.

If the music isn't free, I had better get my CD.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Nov 1 2011, 11:31 AM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Oct 31 2011, 08:23 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Oct 31 2011, 09:13 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Oct 31 2011, 07:51 PM)
...I have bought about 10 CDs in the last 5 years and probably downloaded 10,000 songs in the same time...

I wish I had $10K to spend on music...

wink.gif

right - I know you didn't pay for most/all of it

that's another 'problem' I have with the state of music

question: how much of your work/creativity would you be willing to give away for free every week?

You assume that these weren't paid for over the years in the form of vinyl, cassette, CD and were being replaced due to loss or wear. I have no shame for refusing to re-purchase something I've already paid for. You have no imagination.

so

if my Honda gets stolen, or I finally wear it out after 400K miles, I should feel confident in going right on ahead and 'taking' another one

got it

are you being obtuse on purpose or on accident?

There is no additional cost to anyone in the music industry if I download music I already purchased.

They are no worse off. I am the only one worse off since my cassettes were ruined years ago because that technology sucked. Not the same case with a f*****g car man.

Well on the one hand I'm glad that the environment will be getting a break but on the other hand I still like owning CD's and having a physical product. Also, I think this will just encourage more piracy since people will be deprived of a major medium for music. The music industry is basically shooting itself in the foot when it actually should be thinking of new, creative ways to sell even more CD's. Same thing with the movie industry and DVD's/Blu rays.

Edit: I think the story might be bogus. There are no sources in that link and no comment from the industry. Here are some compelling arguments why CD's will probably still be around for a while:

http://m.ctv.ca/topstories/20111026/alan-c...yet-111026.html

Edited by adace1

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Nov 1 2011, 05:48 PM)
...you don't get a physical copy and you can't download it again so you're pretty screwed if your computer fails...

Sure you can. You can download it again as many times as you like, and they've recently made it so you can download it to every device you own as much as you like, up to [i think it's still] five registered devices. But that's ultimately meaningless considering you can download & copy the files an unlimited number of times and put them on as many devices as you'll ever own for the rest of your life. But if all your devices and backups fail, you can still re-download it from iTunes (other services like Amazon, I'm not sure about, but I can't imagine they'd be different from Apple in this regard).

On the other hand... if there was no such thing as the internet or iTunes or digital music... think back to the 80's and early 90's (or earlier - I don't know how old you are tongue.gif). If you melted an LP, broke a cassette or scratched up a CD, you had no choice but to buy another one.

So... which is better? Live with only physical copies that you have to pay to replace? Or live with digital copies that you can reproduce on your own into infinity?

(Ideally, I think it should be both. Physical for those that want it, digital for those that want it).

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 1 2011, 02:19 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Nov 1 2011, 03:50 AM)
I guess California is the only state that has used and new record and cd stores?

Last time I checked vinyl has been HUGE again.
I go downstairs in my favorite Rasputin's in Berkeley Ca and there are shitloads of brand new sealed virgin vinyl albums.

You name the band and it's been repressed.  "Repressed?"  Pun intended.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

Then again as Phil Lynott would say,  "Don't Believe A Word."

Fukkk this thread.  Propaganda rules the minds of the weak.

"FIGHT THE YOUTH!"

Signed,

FISHBONE

Hey Earl, this reminds me, have you got the new Aqualung 40th Anniversary, remixed and remastered by Steven Wilson double CD edition, with vinyl, blu-ray DVD edition available too?

I just picked my double CD edition!

trink38.gif

1022.gif

bekloppt.gif

cheer.gif

trink39.gif

cool10.gif

Hey Pat! Thanks for the heads up!! I just checked out that beautiful box set with the vinyl and blu-ray. 175 USD. I think I will just get the double cd version too.

If any Tull album needs the SW treatment it's that one. I still think the last remaster of "Aqualung" sounds like shit!!

CDS ARE HERE TO STAY!!!!!! Hell, I keep my local record store in business! 1287.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 1 2011, 08:17 PM)
...you don't get a physical copy and you can't download it again so you're pretty screwed if your computer fails...

Sure you can. You can download it again as many times as you like, and they've recently made it so you can download it to every device you own as much as you like, up to [i think it's still] five registered devices. But that's ultimately meaningless considering you can download & copy the files an unlimited number of times and put them on as many devices as you'll ever own for the rest of your life. But if all your devices and backups fail, you can still re-download it from iTunes (other services like Amazon, I'm not sure about, but I can't imagine they'd be different from Apple in this regard).

On the other hand... if there was no such thing as the internet or iTunes or digital music... think back to the 80's and early 90's (or earlier - I don't know how old you are tongue.gif). If you melted an LP, broke a cassette or scratched up a CD, you had no choice but to buy another one.

So... which is better? Live with only physical copies that you have to pay to replace? Or live with digital copies that you can reproduce on your own into infinity?

(Ideally, I think it should be both. Physical for those that want it, digital for those that want it).

What about a CD music enthusiast who doesn't own a computer and never did and has no intention of owning one. Looks like it's all over for them. Or they have to buy a computer they never wanted just to enjoy music like they used to do. How's this a good arrangement for them?

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 1 2011, 07:43 PM)

What about a CD music enthusiast who doesn't own a computer and never did and has no intention of owning one. Looks like it's all over for them. Or they have to buy a computer they never wanted just to enjoy music like they used to do. How's this a good arrangement for them?

They are, increasingly, in the minority. And people made the same argument when LPs were phased out in favor of cassettes, and even more dramatically when cassettes were phased out for CDs. I remember that well - I was pissed off that I was going to have to spend $200 for a CD player and $25 per CD because we were told that cassettes had about a year to live. We were promised prices would drop of course, but still.

So I'm not completely unsympathetic. Like I said, I think ideally, CDs should live on for a while longer - give 'em a few more years... but the future of music - for better or worse - isn't physical.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 1 2011, 08:52 PM)

They are, increasingly, in the minority. And people made the same argument when LPs were phased out in favor of cassettes, and even more dramatically when cassettes were phased out for CDs. I remember that well - I was pissed off that I was going to have to spend $200 for a CD player and $25 per CD because we were told that cassettes had about a year to live. We were promised prices would drop of course, but still.

So I'm not completely unsympathetic. Like I said, I think ideally, CDs should live on for a while longer - give 'em a few more years... but the future of music - for better or worse - isn't physical.

I suppose you'll be campaigning for invisible instruments next and invisible bands. I mean come on we don't want a physical band do we? Because the future of music is not physical!

tongue.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 1 2011, 06:54 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 1 2011, 08:52 PM)

I suppose you'll be campaigning for invisible instruments next and invisible bands. I mean come on we don't want a physical band do we? Because the future of music is not physical!

tongue.gif

goodpost.gif

Instead of actually going to a real live concert we can just sit at home on the couch like a fukking zombie and watch CGI rock concerts on our glowing orbs.

The more tech this world becomes the more out of touch humanity will become with reality.

"The Terminator" will be non-fiction.

"Let's Get Physical!"

Love,

Olivia Newton John

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Nov 1 2011, 07:09 PM)
...I have bought about 10 CDs in the last 5 years and probably downloaded 10,000 songs in the same time...

wink.gif

question: how much of your work/creativity would you be willing to give away for free every week?

You assume that these weren't paid for over the years in the form of vinyl, cassette, CD and were being replaced due to loss or wear. I have no shame for refusing to re-purchase something I've already paid for. You have no imagination.

so

if my Honda gets stolen, or I finally wear it out after 400K miles, I should feel confident in going right on ahead and 'taking' another one

got it

There is no additional cost to anyone in the music industry if I download music I already purchased.

They are no worse off. I am the only one worse off since my cassettes were ruined years ago because that technology sucked. Not the same case with a f*****g car man.

until I read your profile, I was going to safely assume you might just be too young to have an educated perspective about this subject

I'm sorry if my car analogy doesn't work for you - let's try this one on:

would you list for me any item that you've purchased that has been replaced perpetually, for free, from the retailer or manufacturer, whenever you've worn them out or lost them

pants?

computers?

spatulas?

books?

pens?

guitars?

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Nov 1 2011, 07:20 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Nov 1 2011, 07:09 PM)

wink.gif

so

got it

until I read your profile, I was going to safely assume you might just be too young to have an educated perspective about this subject

I'm sorry if my car analogy doesn't work for you - let's try this one on:

would you list for me any item that you've purchased that has been replaced perpetually, for free, from the retailer or manufacturer, whenever you've worn them out or lost them

pants?

computers?

spatulas?

books?

pens?

guitars?

goodpost.gif

I've been buying cds since their were born in 1985. I will never stop.

Even if the world stopped pressing cds, there are still millions of cds out there in the world to be found!

Some prefer to have a library of books in their home, well I have a sonic library of music. Mostly rare Japanese pressings. Yes, I need help.