I need some opinions.

PhilCastro

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Nov 3 2011, 08:38 PM)
QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Nov 3 2011, 01:27 PM)
One lawyer told her that if the school deems that she broke a rule, they have the right to terminate her.

That's a complete and total cop-out. That lawyer is a coward. He obviously doesn't want to take the case, so he invents a BS excuse. 062802puke_prv.gif

And if/when his employer (wrongfully) deems that he broke a rule and terminates him, will he feel the same way? sarcasm.gif sarcasm.gif

No one likes things like this but this information is true in my state as well. In my state you don't even need to break a rule - you can be fired for no reason as long as it does not violate the Civil Rights Act, ADA, or other legislation. Most agencies and large companies will have a progressive discipline policy that sets precedent on the penalties for various actions but will still have some one and done rules. Where I work if you are caught taking the smallest, insignificant item without paying for it you are terminated immediately including items that are deemed unsellable and are to be thrown into a dumpster.

QUOTE (umoveme @ Nov 3 2011, 07:49 PM)
I have worked with kids for over 11 years in an educational setting. Never ever would I think it was appropriate to touch a student's stomach and make a reference about alcohol consumption and/or a big or beer belly. I'd be angry if a school employee behaved in that way to my child. Sorry, but that is beyond inappropriate.

You know what's inappropriate? Spoiled, thin-skinned, insecure students and their parents who can't take a joke, especially when it's coming from a very nice lady, who is working her butt off at their school, and who didn't mean OR CAUSE any harm whatsoever.

You know what's inappropriate? Cowardly school administrators and HR bureaucrats who won't even talk to you face-to-face before they fire you. They just talk to you by phone and then go by their "policies and procedures", which allows them to avoid thinking for themselves and taking each case on its own merits.

You know what's inappropriate? Ruining a woman's life over NOTHING. Spoiled punk kids who run the school, who can say or do anything, and falsely accuse a worker and then get away with it, because the school's administration doesn't have the courage or integrity to support and defend its employees.

This woman caused NO HARM WHATSOEVER. No one is defending her. No one is standing up for the truth. Today's school administrations are infested with cowards. Now THAT is beyond inappropriate..... 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Nov 3 2011, 07:58 PM)
Where I work if you are caught taking the smallest,  insignificant item without paying for it you are terminated immediately including items that are deemed unsellable and are to be thrown into a dumpster.

That exact scenario happened to me five years ago. I took my corrupt employer to court and I kicked his ass. It was three store managers and their company attorney against me, and I destroyed them. They had no case.

I explained exactly what happened to the judge (some of us ate some Hershey's Kisses that were tagged for destruction in the trash compactor).

I argued that the store manager fired me because of his personal dislike for me (as I often argued for safer working conditions and better management in my department).

I cited past court rulings that were very similar to my case (all in favor of the employee).

I cross-examined the weasel store manager, who committed willful perjury on the stand in the attempt to exonerate himself.

It was a slam dunk. In the judge's written ruling, she mentioned my sincere testimony as well as the insignificant amount of merchandise that was eaten. I received all my back unemployment compensation two days later.

You CAN fight back....but only if you take the time and have the courage to do it. 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (umoveme @ Nov 3 2011, 08:49 PM)
Fire away because this probably isn't going to be a very popular comment but...

I have worked with kids for over 11 years in an educational setting. Never ever would I think it was appropriate to touch a student's stomach and make a reference about alcohol consumption and/or a big or beer belly. I'd be angry if a school employee behaved in that way to my child. Sorry, but that is beyond inappropriate.

Having said that, it's unfortunate that there was an immediate termination based on this sole incident. I hope your mom finds work soon and that school works out for you.

The kid is 21 years old and doesn't actually have a belly. Trust me, my mom and my self have stomachs twice as large as this kid's.

And they were talking about partying so it's not like it was a secret he likes to drink.

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Oct 28 2011, 10:15 AM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Oct 28 2011, 10:09 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Oct 27 2011, 11:55 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Oct 27 2011, 01:00 PM)
QUOTE (ridertoo98 @ Oct 27 2011, 12:48 PM)
Sorry to hear this, didnt think they would fire her over tthat little thing. Sad,very sad.

They didn't get more kids coming forward - did they?

I can't see them doing this for a single incident like that.

Yeah, i was thinking the same thing.

What reason did they give for the termination?...I kmow most employees are " at will", and the company doesnt really need a solid reason. Did any other kids come forward with some stories?..I'm not trying to make your mom out to be the offender here, but you would think they have some solid evidence, and consulted with their own legal team before firing her.

That really sucks for you and your mom.

Yeah - that's exactly what I was thinking - and like you said, not that she was actually doing it, but more that this punk convinced others to present the same story so he "won".

Some young punk that acts all tough on message boards that had to ruin someone's life because he's used to getting his way by being a bully.

She wasn't told of anyone else that came forward.

In the termination letter it said she acted in an unprofessional way as a supervisor. And what she did was against school policy.

We've become a nation of over litigious pussies.

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Nov 3 2011, 09:29 PM)
QUOTE (umoveme @ Nov 3 2011, 07:49 PM)

You know what's inappropriate? Spoiled, thin-skinned, insecure students and their parents who can't take a joke, especially when it's coming from a very nice lady, who is working her butt off at their school, and who didn't mean OR CAUSE any harm whatsoever.

You know what's inappropriate? Cowardly school administrators and HR bureaucrats who won't even talk to you face-to-face before they fire you. They just talk to you by phone and then go by their "policies and procedures", which allows them to avoid thinking for themselves and taking each case on its own merits.

You know what's inappropriate? Ruining a woman's life over NOTHING. Spoiled punk kids who run the school, who can say or do anything, and falsely accuse a worker and then get away with it, because the school's administration doesn't have the courage or integrity to support and defend its employees.

This woman caused NO HARM WHATSOEVER. No one is defending her. No one is standing up for the truth. Today's school administrations are infested with cowards. Now THAT is beyond inappropriate..... 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

goodpost.gif

Like I said before, society has become so ridiculously over-sensitive nowadays. It's so damn pathetic.

Everyone here can tell without being there that Phil's mother did absolutely nothing wrong at all. It was completely harmless. In fact, the punk kid that caused the scene knows it too. The fact that the idiots behind the termination couldn't see this is downright disgusting.

Can someone truly feel good about ruining someone else's life? Really? This whole story pisses me off to no end. It's exactly what's wrong with people these days.

Like I said, society wants everyone to be sheltered from everything. No-one is allowed to do or say anything anymore without fear of being blasted over it. That's really sad if you ask me.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 3 2011, 10:49 PM)
When did our country become a one strike and your out society. What CRAP. How about calling the kid in with your mom and discussing it, then shake hands and go on your way? What the F-CK!

goodpost.gif

Exactly. Again, that would make too much sense apparently. eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (umoveme @ Nov 3 2011, 08:49 PM)
I'd be angry if a school employee behaved in that way to my child. Sorry, but that is beyond inappropriate.

Beyond inappropriate? Really?? I beg to differ.

Honestly, if this EXACT same situation happened to my kids, I would tell them to shake it off and honestly, learn to laugh about it. NEVER would it cross my mind to cause the teacher to lose their job. NEVER. That's for sure.

More people should learn to teach their kids that IMO. Stop listening to the same crowd that gets offended over crap like "Schweddy Balls Ice Cream", or attempting to get a classic tune like 'Money For Nothing' banned from radio 25 years after it was written.

Sorry to move away from the discussion, but I do believe that these kinds of situations like what Phil's family is going through is a result of how touchy society has become. This is all my opinion.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Nov 3 2011, 07:58 PM)
In my state you don't even need to break a rule - you can be fired for no reason as long as it does not violate the Civil Rights Act, ADA, or other legislation.

This must be true in New York as well. It says the above line almost verbatim in our employee handbook (minus the "as long as..."). I think it's "we can terminate at our discretion". Yeah.

QUOTE (umoveme @ Nov 4 2011, 09:49 AM)
Fire away because this probably isn't going to be a very popular comment but...

Having said that, it's unfortunate that there was an immediate termination based on this sole incident. I hope your mom finds work soon and that school works out for you.

I see what you're saying. I've worked in junior high/high schools since '98 in the states & abroad and yeah I wouldn't think of touching a student or co-worker even if it's completely innocent. I mean, hell, I don't even pat a student on the back or give them a high five when I think they did an excellent job on work they did. However, to get fired over what Phil's mum did (and possibly be out of that career forever) is ridiculous.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 3 2011, 10:40 PM)
Sorry to move away from the discussion, but I do believe that these kinds of situations like what Phil's family is going through is a result of how touchy society has become.

Your comment is completely on topic. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Being offended and being a victim has become the National Obsession. Every single workplace, school, sports league, TV show, government office.....their #1 priority has become to "not offend" anyone. Tell a raunchy joke or kid around with someone, and you could lose your job, because your employer is deathly afraid of being sued by the "offended victim".....

People are becoming so deeply narcissistic and self-centered that they are losing the ability to physically interact with other people. Thou Shalt Not Touch Me is the newest Commandment. It's reminiscient of Isaac Asimov's The Naked Sun, where the people of Solaria despise and fear all human contact and interaction. They live on huge estates all alone, interacting with other via holographic viewscreens.

Don't touch me.

Don't joke around with me.

Don't talk about topics that I personally don't like.

Don't say any word that I personally don't like.

If you do, I'll report you for offending me and get you fired.

wtf.gif wtf.gif wtf.gif