A little something I noticed...

Queslington

QUOTE (phlaaps @ Oct 9 2011, 03:31 PM)
Maybe the same reason Alex pulls faces, Neil nods/turns his head to the beat and I check my back pocket for my wallet when I stand up.

Habit?

I don't think someone knocking the side of their head should ever be considered "habit."

I've watched the first clip a few times (the second won't play for me) at the time you mention I honestly can't see what you are talking about. what is he doing?

QUOTE (LyndseyG @ Oct 9 2011, 03:48 PM)
I've watched the first clip a few times (the second won't play for me) at the time you mention I honestly can't see what you are talking about. what is he doing?

Going into the solo section of Freewill, he always (or almost always) taps the side of his head with the palm of his right hand. I've seen a few bootlegs where he does this, he does it on "Snakes and Arrows: Live", and he did it when I saw them on the Time Machine tour. I figured someone on TRF would know why he does it.

When i was watching that i was getting the impression that he was remembering something.

Like "Doh, bass solo time!"

I'm not sure though. It could possibly have something to do with the theme of Freewill though.

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Oct 9 2011, 08:23 PM)
Back in 83 a bug flew up his nose and he wasn't able to get it out. It's still living in his head somewhere and whenever it lands it tickles so he smacks himself on the side of the head to keep it flying around.

I like that answer !! laugh.gif

He also does it in "YYZ" and various other points during a live show. It's just a Ged thang 653.gif

I noticed that during the R30 show. I figured it's just one of those Ged things. Apparently, I'm not the only one laugh.gif

Ok I've seen it now. I agree with some of the others that it's just a thing he does for fun. Kit fits with beat of the song.

Agree that it's one of his signature hand gestures, like the duck clap in TSOR or the finger twirling/pointing at the end of Presto (in all the Hershey videos from this spring, it looks like he's flipping someone off, though I don't remember that when I was there)!