Perfect Rush Albums

Tick

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Sep 22 2011, 02:06 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Sep 21 2011, 11:19 PM)
I read in another thread that Rush hasn't made a perfect album in awhile.
So in your opinions, what are Rush's perfect albums.
Remember perfect is tough to achieve but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

With some thought, these are my choices...

1. Hemispheres
2. Permanent Waves
3. Moving Pictures
4. Presto
5. Grace Under Pressure
6. A Farewell To Kings
7. Signals

There are other great Rush albums but by my criteria of needing to really dig every song a lot, these are my choices.

My choices are not really in any order by the way.

Great thread.....

I would say that the following albums would qualify as perfect:

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Signals

Grace Under Pressure

Not coincidentally they are in order from 1978-1984, which was Rush's peak time.

I said the exact same thing except I added one on the end. Power Windows qualifies for me as well.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (presto123 @ Sep 22 2011, 03:11 PM)

1. Hemispheres
2. Permanent Waves
3. Moving Pictures
4. Presto
5. Grace Under Pressure
6. A Farewell To Kings
7. Signals

There are other great Rush albums but by my criteria of needing to really dig every song a lot, these are my choices.

Great thread.....

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Signals

Grace Under Pressure

Not coincidentally they are in order from 1978-1984, which was Rush's peak time.

I said the exact same thing except I added one on the end. Power Windows qualifies for me as well.

That's cool.

IMO Power Windows is close, but "Emotion Detector" kinda ruins it for me.

And HYF, not even close to perfect.....

For me:

All The World's A Stage

A Farewell to Kings

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Exit... Stage Left would have made my list had it been a full MP show in proper running order.

I can make a good case to myself for Fly By Night, except for "Rivendell." That song is five of my least favourite minutes from the band.

-Jane

2.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Sep 22 2011, 12:11 PM)

1. Hemispheres
2. Permanent Waves
3. Moving Pictures
4. Presto
5. Grace Under Pressure
6. A Farewell To Kings
7. Signals

Great thread.....

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Signals

Grace Under Pressure

I picked all the 1978-1984 albums as well, but I added in their first album. I know it's not Neil and the lyrics aren't stellar, but the album just kicks so much ass - it's perfect in my book!

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Sep 22 2011, 08:56 PM)
Mix any tracks from 2112, PeW, MP, Hemispheres and/or Presto and you have a perfect album. Add anything from HyF and it isn't anymore.

Well, after you replace Jacob's Ladder with Time Stand Still. Then, only then, does your argument stand true. smile.gif

Albums I totally love but arent perfect (most or all of these are some of my alltime faves by ANY band):

Fly By Night

Caress Of Steel

Signals

P/G

Albums that are ever sooo close to perfect (easily desert island albums):

Permanent Waves

AFTK

Perfect:

Hemispheres

Moving Pics

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 22 2011, 08:51 AM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Sep 22 2011, 08:39 AM)
I hate to ask what's wrong with BU2B...

but you did so, I'll give you my feelings.

Neil is beating the dead horse yet again with his predictable unimaginative lyrical content. Plus its just a boring uneventful droning song to my ears. I don't like the song overall.

Its just my feeling. I know a lot of folks like the song.

Pretty much have to second Tick's feelings on this one.

I'm tired of that type of lyrical content, plus the music never really goes anywhere to me.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Sep 23 2011, 12:13 PM)

Neil is beating the dead horse yet again with his predictable unimaginative lyrical content. Plus its just a boring uneventful droning song to my ears. I don't like the song overall.

I'm tired of that type of lyrical content, plus the music never really goes anywhere to me.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Sep 23 2011, 10:13 AM)

Tired of that kind of lyrical content... I'm guessing you mean the anti-religion lyrics? The ones he's only done in, what, four songs? Out of 150-something?

I can see how that must be a terrible burden.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 23 2011, 12:35 PM)
Tired of that kind of lyrical content... I'm guessing you mean the anti-religion lyrics? The ones he's only done in, what, four songs? Out of 150-something?

Forgive me, I forgot that my opinion must exactly match yours. eh.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Sep 23 2011, 10:38 AM)

No, it's not that at all. I just find it a little odd, that's all. I think it's fine that people don't care for the anti-religion lyrics, but I also think it's strange when someone says they're tired of them, as if they're a major portion of Peart's output.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 23 2011, 12:51 PM)

No, it's not that at all. I just find it a little odd, that's all. I think it's fine that people don't care for the anti-religion lyrics, but I also think it's strange when someone says they're tired of them, as if they're a major portion of Peart's output.

All depends on how you look at it. If as you say there are 4 songs total, then you're right, it's not a big part of the overall catalog.

However......2 of those 4 are in the last 15 songs released by Rush. Not to mention that we don't know yet whether it comes up again anywhere else on the new offering. But with an album name that includes "Angels" in it, it seems probable that it will in some form.

I just like Rush better when they to non-religious themes, and they sure enough have plenty to choose from in today's crazy world....

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Sep 23 2011, 08:57 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 23 2011, 12:51 PM)

All depends on how you look at it. If as you say there are 4 songs total, then you're right, it's not a big part of the overall catalog.

However......2 of those 4 are in the last 15 songs released by Rush. Not to mention that we don't know yet whether it comes up again anywhere else on the new offering. But with an album name that includes "Angels" in it, it seems probable that it will in some form.

I just like Rush better when they to non-religious themes, and they sure enough have plenty to choose from in today's crazy world....

Lots of selective playing with numbers.

Epic amounts of irony.

Guess Neil should stay away from having any opinions at all on anything lest someone be miffed.

Don't see a whole lot of complaints on his politics.

Honesty in art is a good thing, you may not agree with it but then that would be YOUR problem, not his.

Edited by toscanobarga

4 songs eh? Ever actually listen to Snakes And Arrows? atickhum.gif

If you did, did you grasp the message on the entire album?

QUOTE (toscanobarga @ Sep 23 2011, 01:05 PM)

Epic amounts of irony.

Guess Neil should stay away from having any opinions at all on anything lest someone be miffed.

Honesty in art is a good thing, you may not agree with it but then that would be YOUR problem, not his.

Here, have another:

http://www.rollonfriday.com/Images/ningers2010/Images/arrogant_beer_ale_1.jpg

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Sep 23 2011, 10:20 AM)
QUOTE (toscanobarga @ Sep 23 2011, 01:05 PM)

Epic amounts of irony.

Here, have another:

http://www.rollonfriday.com/Images/ningers2010/Images/arrogant_beer_ale_1.jpg

Good stuff it is too.

Still, when logic fails, there's always just random insults.

Cheers !

trink39.gif

Perfect? I guess the ones that 'stand out' to me, and seem to be the first into the rotation are as follows:

(not including any live albums...those are a different animal, and my preferred way of listening, but when it comes to studio albums....)

Caress of Steel

A Farewell to Kings

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Grace Under Pressure

Counterparts

Snakes and Arrows

These 8 are just their masterpieces in my opinion...the whole album sticks out as an entire work, and I can't just listen to part of them..I gotta hear the WHOLE thing in one sitting! Live or studio, the tunes stand up as well!

Rush, Fly By Night, 2112, Signals, and Presto are "mood" albums for me...I have to be in a certain mood to pull them out...

I have a hard time with Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, Roll the Bones, Test for Echo, and Vapor Trails... I could never really get into these albums on the whole...I LIKE certain tunes on them, but to me there's too much that I don't like...

Now LIVE some of the tunes from the albums on my two secondary lists make more sense, and I feel that some of the live versions surpass the studio versions. (Secret Touch for example)

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 23 2011, 09:35 AM)

One was too many. Neil's entitled to write about what he wants, but it doesn't mean people are going to like it.

To expect Neil to write really polarizing lyrics that are going to alienate half his audience and then have everyone love it and not speak out against it is unrealistic.

I don't think I can call any of Rush's albums perfect because they all have at least one song on them that I don't much care for. The closest I can come is naming the four on which there are no songs that I dislike to the point of never listening to. They are:

Hemispheres

Grace Under Pressure

Snakes And Arrows

I can only really go with PeW and MP. After MP there is at least 1 song I dont like very much on every album.

I guess I should put 2112 in there. Great variety on that album and nothing that really feels like a filler song to me.

I would say Hemispheres, but outside of the main song there isnt a lot of variety. I view Trees and Circumstances as being similar style songs, complete with 2 middle breakdown sections that are very similar, finished off with an instrumental. The album feels incomplete to me.

Edited by trenken

As I recall, this thread is concerned with perfect Rush albums.

Can we please leave the discussion of lyrics - specifically the 'religion debate' ones - for the SOCN?

Thank you.