Wow! Time To Go To "The Church" And Pray

RUSHHEAD666

Guys! I've never owned any of The Church music and today I bought "Starfish" which has been remastered and contains a bonus cd.

I bought the album because on my way driving through L.A. a month ago I was listening to a classic rock station. Well they played "Under The Milky Way" by The Church.

I really liked it so by chance I remembered it today in my record store and bought it.

I think this band is excellent. You might like it too if you love that 80's New Wave English sound. I think these guys are from Australia though.

Anyway if you love The Cult, Modern English or The Cure you may dig this band.

Hopefully this thread reaches out to a few Church fans on this board.

I want to go back and buy the rest of their stuff.

Any tips?

1022.gif

Hi Earl. Everything up to to Priest=Aura are essential. After that they start to run of steam (with only two of the original members remaining it aint surprising). I lost interest after that but will eventually check out their later material to see if they recovered somewhat. I have all the vinyl up to Gold Afternoon Fix but will eventually snag the CD reissues when I can afford to trink38.gif

The video for that song used to be a staple on the MTV program 120 Minutes. If you remember, it aired on the weekends after Headbanger's Ball. Always loved the song but never checked out any of their other work.

I never bought "Under the Milky Way" but I remember the song and liked it. I think it came out in 1988.

I do have "Gold Afternoon Fix" which came out in 1990. I haven't played it in awhile, but I think my favorite song on that is "Fading Away" because it is a kind of moody, somewhat melancholy type tune.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 10 2011, 01:25 AM)
Guys!  I've never owned any of The Church music...

ohmy.gif

you can't believe the envy I feel for you right now - to be a 'brand new' Church fan! user posted image

I've been a fan of The Church (23 years) almost as long as I've been a Rush fan (29 years)

they're definitely one of my 'Top Ten' bands, no question

you've got so much to left to discover... if you pick up a few more albums and find you're still digging them, the rest will blow your mind wide open

so...

> I've got album recommendations if/when you want them

> I've got 'stories' about live gigs/meeting Marty, Steve and Peter

and just for reference - here's the tally to date from my media player:

>Artist

The Church

>Songs

>Length

15h:21m:26s

-yeah, I'm a 'fan' wink.gif

Edited by ghostworks

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 10 2011, 01:25 AM)
...if you love The Cult, Modern English or The Cure you may dig this band...

and when you dig deeper into their catalog, you'll add Pink Floyd and newer Marillion, too

ultimately, they really own their own sound, though - one of the few bands that just 'are' who they are... hard to compare to anyone/anything else

QUOTE (Steevo @ Sep 10 2011, 03:04 AM)
Hi Earl. Everything up to to Priest=Aura are essential. After that they start to run of steam (with only two of the original members remaining it aint surprising). I lost interest after that but will eventually check out their later material to see if they recovered somewhat...

ohmy.gif

(once again) I'm envious! smile.gif

you're in for a great surprise

Steve (Kilbey) and Marty (Wilson-Piper) only recorded as a duo for one mostly forgettable album (The Church - Sometime Anywhere)

they quickly got Peter (Koppes) back into the fold

these three come highly recommended to you:

Magician Among the Spirits (1996)

After Everything Now This (2002)

Forget Yourself (2003)

- especially if you like instrumentals, long songs, obtuse lyrics and a slightly unsettling sonic vibe trink39.gif

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Sep 10 2011, 11:49 AM)
the church? i think ive listen to them a couple of times, is not that bad, but i think it sounds a lot like the cure.

^ the great thing about that is, there's so much (so much) more

there are a few Cure-like moments in the late 80's/early 90's, but The Church are consistently less depressed and angry...

the majority of their sonic signature is a far landscape away from Robert Smith & Co., but whether you love The Cure or not, don't miss giving The Church a (deeper) try

trink39.gif

[^ edited wink.gif ]

Edited by ghostworks

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Sep 11 2011, 06:33 AM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Sep 10 2011, 03:04 AM)
Hi Earl.  Everything up to to Priest=Aura are essential.  After that they start to run of steam (with only two of the original members remaining it aint surprising).  I lost interest after that but will eventually check out their later material to see if they recovered somewhat...

ohmy.gif

(once again) I'm envious! smile.gif

you're in for a great surprise

Steve (Kilbey) and Marty (Wilson-Piper) only recorded as a duo for one mostly forgettable album (The Church - Sometime Anywhere)

they quickly got Peter (Koppes) back into the fold

these three come highly recommended to you:

Magician Among the Spirits (1996)

After Everything Now This (2002)

Forget Yourself (2003)

- especially if you like instrumentals, long songs, obtuse lyrics and a slightly unsettling sonic vibe trink39.gif

Ha. Cheers Ghosty, that's great to read smile.gif Duly noted. I wasn't that impressed with Magician so kinda stopped there. Looking forward to getting back into them soon. I've had the reissues on the backburner for far too long. It doesn't get more underated than these guys trink39.gif

Besides Under the Milky way found Starfish album extremely schla03.gif

Never wasted my time on The Church again, you can call me Faithless... yes.gif tongue.gif

Edited by softfilter

QUOTE (softfilter @ Dec 23 2011, 05:23 AM)
Besides Under the Milky way found Starfish album extremely schla03.gif
Never wasted my time on The Church again, you can call me Faithless... yes.gif tongue.gif

well, you left plenty on the table, softie

but if post-cold war indie Pink Floyd by way of the Australian outback doesn't thrill you, I guess you're better off with Springsteen and Bono...

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 10 2011, 02:25 AM)
Guys! I've never owned any of The Church music and today I bought "Starfish" which has been remastered and contains a bonus cd.

I bought the album because on my way driving through L.A. a month ago I was listening to a classic rock station. Well they played "Under The Milky Way" by The Church.

I really liked it so by chance I remembered it today in my record store and bought it.

I think this band is excellent. You might like it too if you love that 80's New Wave English sound. I think these guys are from Australia though.

Anyway if you love The Cult, Modern English or The Cure you may dig this band.

Any tips?

1022.gif

I don't see how The Cult is anything like The Church? no.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 24 2011, 03:54 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 10 2011, 02:25 AM)
Guys!  I've never owned any of The Church music and today I bought "Starfish" which has been remastered and contains a bonus cd.

I bought the album because on my way driving through L.A. a month ago I was listening to a classic rock station.  Well they played "Under The Milky Way" by The Church.

I think this band is excellent.  You might like it too if you love that 80's New Wave English sound.  I think these guys are from Australia though.

Anyway if you love The Cult, Modern English or The Cure  you may dig this band.

Any tips?

1022.gif

I don't see how The Cult is anything like The Church? no.gif

Yeah Earl, what was that one about? biggrin.gif Hope you're building up a good collection by now as well smile.gif