Trying to Like Dream Theater

Nate2112

QUOTE (FallTempest @ Sep 7 2011, 08:13 PM)
Well lets see:

When Dream and Day Unite- Likely not the place to start. Some pretty good songs on it however the lack of James LaBrie and the poor production hinder its likability.

Images and Words- A must listen. Incredible in almost every way. Produced there only radio hit to date in "Pull Me Under". No weak points IMO! biggrin.gif

Awake- Also an amazing listen. The tone is considerably darker and heavier. It can generate an awesome mood. Listen to "Voices" from the Mind Beside Itself Suite to get a taste!

A Change Of Seasons EP- One 25 minute epic along with some tasty covers! The title track is a fan favorite and is among the Dream Theater classics. Give it a spin once you have introduced yourself some other material already, so not to be overwhelmed cool.gif

Falling Into Infinity- Often receives mixed reactions from fans because the band was pressured into creating more radio friendly songs. However a few songs were big hits with the fan base. Listen to "Trial of Tears" and "Lines In The Sand".

Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory- Just awesome stuff here. A concept album concluding the story that began 7 years earlier from Metropolis Pt. 1 a song off of Images and Words. My favorite album! Really the re birth of DT after FII.

Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence- A double album, the first disk being a collection of smaller songs. I love the first disk. I'd recommend listening to "The Glass Prison" and "Blind Faith". Disk two is a 40 minute sidelong epic. It is good, however I find myself listening to disk 1 more. Very good album.

Train Of Thought- A thoroughly metal album, very in your face. But you know enough about it already. Also Fledge hates this album biggrin.gif

Octavarium- You have it covered.

Systematic Chaos- Not a favorite of many. If any. It really veered away from good songwriting into some sort of metalcore phase. Just a mess. I do enjoy "The Ministry Of Lost Souls" however.

Black Clouds and Silver Linings- Very hit and miss album, often described as the album with some of the best musical compositions and worst lyrical compositions tongue.gif 4 of the 6 tracks clock at way over 10 minutes. Listen to "The Count Of Tuscany"!

A Dramatic Turn Of Events- It comes out on the 13th smile.gif

Hope this wasn't useless! laugh.gif 1022.gif

AWESOME !! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I even agree with almost all of it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never understood someone trying to like something. Either you do or you don't. There is no requirements to like anything. If you listen and do not like what you hear then put it away and play something you do like. Life is to short to torture yourself.

By the way, I like DT and I didn't even have to try. tongue.gif

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Sep 8 2011, 03:27 PM)
I never understood someone trying to like something. Either you do or you don't. There is no requirements to like anything. If you listen and do not like what you hear then put it away and play something you do like. Life is to short to torture yourself.

trink39.gif Im with you there!

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Sep 8 2011, 03:27 PM)

Same with PT

I am like the number 1 fan

duh

1287.gif

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Sep 8 2011, 02:27 PM)

I think the idea is that we all have something in common - Rush - and when a significant enough amount of people say they also like DT, someone who hasn't heard them before wants to like them, too. But knowing that they've been around for 20ish years and have a ton of albums, one might be wary of starting with some less-than-good stuff that might turn them off to the band prematurely.

Would you turn someone on to Rush by pointing out all their worst stuff first?

"You know what, here, start with Dog Years, I Think I'm Going Bald and what the hell, You Bet Your Life. You'll be fine." new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif bolt.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Sep 8 2011, 04:08 PM)
Why are Dream Theater fans such arses? Nate if you become a fan don't become a humourless arse. wink.gif

Tony, these arguments must be old news to you. I think you are just having fun now. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 8 2011, 06:38 PM)
Why are Dream Theater fans such arses? Nate if you become a fan don't become a humourless arse.  wink.gif

Tony, these arguments must be old news to you. I think you are just having fun now. laugh.gif

Nah its still getting to him..

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 9 2011, 12:38 AM)
Why are Dream Theater fans such arses? Nate if you become a fan don't become a humourless arse.  wink.gif

I prefer ELP fans. Now they're serious nutters. Had one at Progarchives threaten to murder me and burn down my house with my family inside it. And that because of my review of Works... biggrin.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 10 2011, 04:41 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 10 2011, 03:00 PM)
Sounds like he let his feelings get hurt. I never would have thought that he was like that.

Seems to me that is how he has written a good portion of his songs. biggrin.gif

Oui yes.gif

Either way I love the fellow tongue.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 7 2011, 08:24 PM)
I would go with Images & Words and Awake first. If those albums don't get you then nothing will.

Here's a few songs to help you out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKhfkfnbAMQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEKTNtmKZEw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjm_LgM_6G0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvEOsdH8T_8&feature=related

Scenes From A Memory is great but I wouldn't recomened it right away for a Dream Theater newbie.

This is not a bad idea, Nate2112. And "when dream and day unite" was pretty awesome. Awesome until images and words came out, then it was garbage. Check out anything from the nineties and later imho...