1974 concert cd release

tel

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BaldiePete @ Oct 26 2011, 09:38 AM)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/BaldiePete/scan0080.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/BaldiePete/scan0078.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/BaldiePete/scan0079.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/BaldiePete/scan0081.jpg

Awesome! My two copies are on the way! 1287.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Oct 26 2011, 07:41 PM)
I could just print that artwork, paint my bootleg CD silver and slap it in an empty case. Does that count as collectible? tongue.gif

That's what I'm sayin'. And the quality is arguably worse than the bootleg since another poster showed that it was apparently sourced from MP3s.

It's not hard to get a silver pressing of anything... there are companies who will do it fairly inexpensively. If I got a company to run off 1,000 copies of Mirrors from the RTB tour, it wouldn't automatically be collectable.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 26 2011, 06:44 PM)
I could just print that artwork, paint my bootleg CD silver and slap it in an empty case. Does that count as collectible? tongue.gif

That's what I'm sayin'. And the quality is arguably worse than the bootleg since another poster showed that it was apparently sourced from MP3s.

It's not hard to get a silver pressing of anything... there are companies who will do it fairly inexpensively. If I got a company to run off 1,000 copies of Mirrors from the RTB tour, it wouldn't automatically be collectable.

That bums me out that the sound is sourced through MP3's. I hate that compressed shit format.

Oh well, I will be old school until my dying day and I will always be adding to my cd library.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 26 2011, 08:44 PM)

Heh, heh....well, actually, Mirrors was first released as a silver-pressed set back in 1995. They fetch a pretty penny todaay, if you have one of the original Oxygen Records pressings.

I'm not advocating everyone buying this as opposed to just getting a nice, free-for-trade version. Just saying that original vinyl and CD bootleg pressings do have more collector's value than CDR.

Peace,

Ron

Edited by Ron2112

QUOTE (Ron2112 @ Oct 27 2011, 06:29 AM)

Heh, heh....well, actually, Mirrors was first released as a silver-pressed set back in 1995. They fetch a pretty penny todaay, if you have one of the original Oxygen Records pressings.

I'm not advocating everyone buying this as opposed to just getting a nice, free-for-trade version. Just saying that original vinyl and CD bootleg pressings do have more collector's value than CDR.

Peace,

Ron

I stand corrected LOL

Okay, but WHY? I mean, really... why do these things have value? Anyone can make them, they're unofficial... why would they have value above the materials is takes to press them?

QUOTE (Ron2112 @ Oct 27 2011, 07:29 AM)

Peace,

Ron

yeah! I remember when albums and then silvers were all that was out there unless you had a good network of "tape" traders! Then Mike Bahr (and later Ryan Whitaker) arrived on scene and started burning and selling his stuff on CDR and then the crazy trading, then file sharing, and finally bit-torrent took over!!! (and I've increased my collection exponentially!) (not only Rush, though) (and I also remember when we had Ron's guide to "guide us"!) trink39.gif

I have a bunch of silvers, (Oxygen released Mirrors included!) and have considered burning them to good CDR's and selling them...but then rationalized that I'm not desperate for cash so WHY? I bought most of them probably for about $30. per CD so a 2 disc set would be $60! Thankfully we had a used CD store locally that I picked up a few odd ones that people sold off...

The majority of my silvers are Rush and Pink Floyd, with a few other bands mixed in....how that has changed over the years! I'm just surprised that there are some people hoarding things out there! (like the damn Caress of Steel boots!!!)

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 27 2011, 08:13 AM)

Peace,

Ron

I stand corrected LOL

Okay, but WHY? I mean, really... why do these things have value? Anyone can make them, they're unofficial... why would they have value above the materials is takes to press them?

I can think of a couple reasons.

First, there was a bit more production value that went into many of the silver pressings. They came with nice booklets, some sort of artwork on the CDs themselves, etc. In some cases (Mirrors being a prime exmple), the production is every bit as good as an official release. I have a couple beautiful Pink Floyd bootleg box sets.

I also think that the pressed silvers have a bit more permanence -- there's no worry that the silvers are going to degrade over time, as there is with cheap CDR media.

Peace,

Ron

QUOTE (Ron2112 @ Oct 27 2011, 09:33 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 27 2011, 08:13 AM)

Peace,

Ron

I stand corrected LOL

I can think of a couple reasons.

First, there was a bit more production value that went into many of the silver pressings. They came with nice booklets, some sort of artwork on the CDs themselves, etc. In some cases (Mirrors being a prime exmple), the production is every bit as good as an official release. I have a couple beautiful Pink Floyd bootleg box sets.

I also think that the pressed silvers have a bit more permanence -- there's no worry that the silvers are going to degrade over time, as there is with cheap CDR media.

Peace,

Ron

I can see that. That makes some sense. But I still don't know why the value would go *up* over time. Increased demand, I suppose, as more people discover that they exist... but with the rise of the internet and the easy availability of FLAC files online...

I dunno. I see what you're saying though.

If these are MP3s, forget it.

That's a deal breaker for me even if it's a silver.

At least put SOME effort into sourcing it correctly.

Even though I've probably got more than a half-dozen different versions of this (tape, vinyl, CD), I was ready to buy if it was a silver under the assumption it wasn't an MP3.

Thanks for the heads up if true....

I pulled a copy off of a site I use that tends to put some "official" -ish things out there, and, while I haven't properly "A/B'd" it, It doesn't sound too different than my 5th Order of Angels copy.... Maybe a little cleaned up, but nothing to write home about...

If I get time I'd like to play them side by side and see what I can hear.

Ron, I probably have some of of the same Floyd Boxes you mentioned...as well as a good Zappa set! Shame the "artisan-ship" has gone out of the bootleg world! But at least we have a lot of music to choose from, and it's a LOT more accessible than the old daze!

Yeah, well, as much of a pain in the ass as downloading can be sometimes (I guess... eyesre4.gif ) I have more of a problem with people selling bootlegs. Trading I'm okay with, putting them up for download I'm okay with, but when people start making money off the recordings, I think that crosses a line. Edited by danielmclark

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 29 2011, 12:48 PM)
Yeah, well, as much of a pain in the ass as downloading can be sometimes (I guess... eyesre4.gif ) I have more of a problem with people selling bootlegs. Trading I'm okay with, putting them up for download I'm okay with, but when people start making money off the recordings, I think that crosses a line.

sorry but i dont agree, i find it difficult to sympathise with multi millionaire rock stars who are not getting royalties because somebody had a microphone under his hat at one of there vastly overpriced concerts.

if somebody wants to earn a few bucks without harming anyone good luck to them,its supply and demand,nobody died.

This argument has persisted on trf many times so i dont want to stir anyones sensibilities any further,this is just MY OPINION. yes.gif

surely file sharing would be the bigger sin? confused13.gif

QUOTE (tel @ Oct 29 2011, 12:25 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 29 2011, 12:48 PM)
Yeah, well, as much of a pain in the ass as downloading can be sometimes (I guess... eyesre4.gif ) I have more of a problem with people selling bootlegs. Trading I'm okay with, putting them up for download I'm okay with, but when people start making money off the recordings, I think that crosses a line.

sorry but i dont agree, i find it difficult to sympathise with multi millionaire rock stars who are not getting royalties because somebody had a microphone under his hat at one of there vastly overpriced concerts.

if somebody wants to earn a few bucks without harming anyone good luck to them,its supply and demand,nobody died.

This argument has persisted on trf many times so i dont want to stir anyones sensibilities any further,this is just MY OPINION. yes.gif

surely file sharing would be the bigger sin? confused13.gif

Yes, and that's why there's a subtitle on the section of the forum that says "NO trading of commercially available material will be tolerated."

I consider leeches who profit from bootlegs worse. Not because they're screwing artists (which is debatable because it's so damn easy for artists to do themselves it's like they're leaving money on the table) but because what's being sold is garbage packaged to look like a polished release in most cases.

Take this release for example. The Fifth Order bootleg is out there but this CD appears to be sourced from MP3s. It's inferior to the freely available bootleg yet here's a company (I guess... hell, it could be a single guy with a few bucks to spend at a print shop) that it profiting from people who don't know that it's a crap release. Just look a the list of flaws in this thread, it's ridiculous (IMO) that anyone would spend money on it (no offense to anyone that has).