Musicians of TRF, who's your personal guitar hero?

Ted Barchetta

Hal Blaine was also one of the Wrecking Crew. There are about 15-20 players that were on that list including Glenn Campbell and Al Casey among others. Hal Blaine and Earl Palmer were the drummers. Carol Kaye and Ray Pohlman were the best known bass players, though Carol also plays guitar. Some sessions had Tommy, Howard Roberts, Al Casey, Glenn Campbell all on guitars with Hal and Carol on the rhythm section and someone like Don Randi on piano. The Herb Alpert stuff had this lineup. Phil Spector too until Howard had enough of Phil's crap.

QUOTE (nicole @ Aug 21 2011, 03:04 PM)
Alex Lifeson, Freddie King, Albert Collins, Elmore James...and..umm...Alex Lifeson.

I take it you like Alex quite a lot, then?! cool.gif

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Aug 20 2011, 07:38 PM)
Malcom Young, Tony Iommi, Steven Wilson, Lindsey Buckingham (underrated as f**k.)

thank you for mentioning Lindsey.

i have been a HUGE fan of his solo work(as well as his time with FM) for at least 10 years now. he is a f*cking genius.

i'm sure everyone has seen

and
, but
is probably one of his best songs, imo.

Aside from the classic prog-rock players that are usually mentioned (Fripp, Gilmore, Hackett, Howe), I'd have to say Frank Zappa is one of my top favorites in the "technical ability" category.

Now this will probably seem way out in left filed for a Rush forum member, but the other players that I really like are Thurston Moore and Lee Ranaldo from Sonic Youth. There's something about their wild and reckless approach to the guitar that I find simply awe-inspiring.

cheers,

ew

Aside from a lot that people have already mentioned, one of my fave's is John Williams. His album Iberia is amazing. He's a fantastic classical guitarist. I remember rocking out to one of my Dad's Sky LP's years ago... smile.gif

Difficult.

Growing up it was Clapton hands down. I spent a great deal of time trying to shake a note like EC shook a note. Then I really got into Yngwie and Satriani. Now I am more into songs so I don't think I can answer.

Just to add to the usual suspects (Gilmore, Page, etc )

Steve Rothery of Marillion

Ed Wynne of the ozric tentacles

John McGeogh during his magazine and siouxsie and the banshees days.

Edited by Gilby