MTV turns 30, on VH-1 Classic tonight

SiriusRushFan

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 1 2011, 05:39 AM)
QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Aug 1 2011, 02:47 PM)
I watched the First Hour Of MtV thing they showed at midnight. It was pretty cool except that most of the videos in the first hour of MTV weren't very good.

What'd they show? There were a lot of "not very good" videos I remember watching back then. For example: I'm sure I'm not the only one who remembers Eddie Money's "Shakin'" or Journey's "Separate Ways". Even if the songs weren't that bad, the videos were damn terrible even for back then. But it was exciting & new and the videos kept coming so my buddies and I would watch nearly all day (like many folks on this board).

I think the last thing I saw on MTV was that Real World San Francisco shit back in the early/mid 90s...you know, the one with that blonde bike messenger guy and those other assholes living such a hard life in a kick ass house sarcasm.gif .

P.S. Being 10 years old and watching that rocket take off at the top of the hour and hearing that MTV music as Martha Quinn announced, "This hour we have videos from Asia, Men at Work, and Rush [[while showing that black & white group shot of the guys]]" was really exciting. trink38.gif

was thinking that very thing last night...how we'd watch ALL DAY! Only switching off for awhile to play Pong. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Aug 1 2011, 10:10 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 1 2011, 05:39 AM)
QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Aug 1 2011, 02:47 PM)
I watched the First Hour Of MtV thing they showed at midnight. It was pretty cool except that most of the videos in the first hour of MTV weren't very good.

What'd they show? There were a lot of "not very good" videos I remember watching back then. For example: I'm sure I'm not the only one who remembers Eddie Money's "Shakin'" or Journey's "Separate Ways". Even if the songs weren't that bad, the videos were damn terrible even for back then. But it was exciting & new and the videos kept coming so my buddies and I would watch nearly all day (like many folks on this board).

I think the last thing I saw on MTV was that Real World San Francisco shit back in the early/mid 90s...you know, the one with that blonde bike messenger guy and those other assholes living such a hard life in a kick ass house sarcasm.gif .

P.S. Being 10 years old and watching that rocket take off at the top of the hour and hearing that MTV music as Martha Quinn announced, "This hour we have videos from Asia, Men at Work, and Rush [[while showing that black & white group shot of the guys]]" was really exciting. trink38.gif

was thinking that very thing last night...how we'd watch ALL DAY! Only switching off for awhile to play Pong. laugh.gif

during the summer of 1982, I was doing one of three things: watching MTV, swimming at the club, or swinging on our porch swing.

MTV jumped the shark for me once they focused on boy groups and frat boy rock in the late 90s. Also, MTV Top 20>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TRL. Used to keep track of it and watch it in the 90s growing up.

Oddly enough, I recently found some forum with a thread of weekly logs from past shows dating back to the 80s. Big Money actually spent a few weeks in the top 10 and actually debuted at 10. Was nice to find out about some weeks I had missed when I watched the show.

I was watching MTV this morning, and they kept playing the old MTV commercials. And there was this really weird short that they played...that was like...a girl with two heads wacko.gif Anyway...

I only say a little bit of the 'old' mtv stuff today. they played a little bit of Live Aid and then it went to Punk'd laugh.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 31 2011, 08:32 PM)
Ironically, it was MTV that introduced me to Rush in early 1982.

The last time I watched MTV, and even then it was rare, was around 1993.

I had been a big fan of 120 Minutes, but they kept moving that show to a later and later time slot. I wasn't going to stay up past 1:00.

I used to love watching Post Modern MTV and 120 minutes. MTV and WXRT in Chicago opened me up to a whole new genre of music, when I desperately seeking something other than good ol' classic rock.

Man...do I miss 120 minutes. sad.gif

Edited by ILSnwdog

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jul 31 2011, 08:33 PM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 31 2011, 07:28 PM)
As a little kid in the 80s I used to watch MTV all the time when I was at home. Lots of fond memories from when it was a 24/7 music video station.

My favorite show was Headbanger's Ball. Once they canceled that in '94 or '95 I believe, the station became dead to me. It's pretty much been worthless since the mid 90s and i'm not positive as to why the channel is still on the air now since it's well outlived it's welcome and original purpose.

Their ratings are actually higher now, even though their programming is total crap.

I don't know anyone who watches it, but Viacom wouldn't continue to run this garbage if it didn't produce ratings. That it does draw eyeballs is about the saddest comment on this country that could possibly be made.

My 21 year old cousin is living with me right now, and she watches it religiously. So...that's who is watching it. 18-20 somethings.

QUOTE (Rendclaw @ Aug 1 2011, 08:34 AM)
I still maintain to this day that the 1980s were the best for music as a whole since the 60s. The 70s, well... severe hit and miss.

80s up to 1994ish...and perhaps it was Grunge that was the demise. confused13.gif

Here's someone that has the first 24 hours of MTV, broken up into small segments of 11 minutes or less from what I can tell. Looks like it was done for the 25th anniversary. Not sure if all 24 hours are actually there or not but looks like a nice job of trying to sort it.

MTV's first 24 hours

QUOTE (Rendclaw @ Aug 1 2011, 09:34 AM)
There are two reasons why it sucks so bad. Like most of you I stopped giving two farts in a grasshopper's ass about MTV when the canceled Headbanger's Ball, but by that time I think the signs were clear that they were going more toward the reality shows. Hell, they invented the genre. I'll give them credit for that, before reality TV became the pustule-infested monster it is today.

The second reason is that most of us are considered old. I'm 42 myself (even though it still feels weird to say it), and the way music is presented changed when grunge came along and wiped almost everything else out in the early 90s. I'm a child of the 80s and always will be. I still maintain to this day that the 1980s were the best for music as a whole since the 60s. The 70s, well... severe hit and miss.

Until I had to send my DVR back to Comcast, I had most of Rush Hashana on it, mostly because one block of Rush vids they did had Vital Signs, something I had never seen on TV (crappy ass Youtube videos don't count, because flash video quality is terrible, especially when someone is recording it with a webcam pointed at the TV set, but I digress).

My point is that the world has changed radically since we were sitting in front of the tube and watching MTV as kids back in the early 80s and now we have turned into our parents, talking about how good things used to be back in the day, and how crappy things are now. We are no different than our parents when they talked about the 50s and 60s, and our grandparents when they talked about how things were between the Depression and World War II.

I always quote something I saw in the "A Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica" video: "Every generation will scorn the next, and their music." It's inevitable.

Yes, MTV has not been truly about music for more than twenty years now, and its never going back. I will again give them credit, because at least they saw that people wanted a channel that was more about music, so they made VH1. Then they put out VH1 Classic, which was more to our speed. And I could certainly deal with more music and less reality TV, but thats not going away until the genre collapses, and that may or may not be soon, when people finally get fed up with them. All I know is that they're cheap to make, and if you can script... errr.... film enough drama/conflict/sex going on, people will watch, and the creators make money hand over fist. Why do you think Mark Burnett is close to a billionaire?

Vh1 Classic will always get the nod from me, because the proportion of music and music docs vs. reality shows is higher than any of the other sister stations. Though I think Palladia is starting to challenge for the title. But then again, I *think* that channel is owned by Viacom too.

I'm in your age group and love a lot of new music. I just wish it was a little easier to follow it and discover newer stuff. A lot of the music I grew up on I find a bit too plodding and basic.

I was born in the '90s so I've never seen MTV actually play music. Practically everyone at schools loves all the "reality" shows like Jersey Shore but I'm proud to say that I've never watched any of those shows. If they're as bad as the commercials then they have to be some of the worse shows on TV.

VH1 Classic is decent but it always seems like they're playing the same shows over and over again.

Edited by Mara

also, before anyone says OH BUT SON IT WAS GREAT IN 1985...sitting through hours of duran duran, a flock of seagulls, bon jovi, and a bunch of other generic trite just to hear distant early warning around 2 AM? not my cup of tea.

I used to like beavis and butthead though, and of course 120 minutes was cool for getting people into bands like dinosaur jr and the replacements and husker du and lots of other great music.

headbangers ball was pretty cool for getting people into heavy music, but man, I just hate hair metal, which is a good chunk of what was shown on it, especially in the 80s. at least in the 90s they'd show the melvins or some shit

QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Aug 2 2011, 12:13 AM)
didn't read the posts in the thread, just gonna say MTV sucks and any human being who sits down and honest-to-goodness watches it now in 2011 is terrible and soulless and should go read a book or, even better, listen to rush

Well...

Um...

I watched Teen Wolf tonight.

(Pretty good episode. Plot development! And a twist! Yeah!

But I swear Rene Echevarria's going to receive a very angry letter if Derek Hale dies.)

But then I listened to RUSH for a couple hours,

but then my MP3 player died. (Sad!)

And I just finished a couple chapters of Harry Potter.

...So what do you say to someone who's watched MTV, read a book, and listened to RUSH all in the same night?

QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Aug 2 2011, 01:43 AM)
you are one-third soulless

Weeeeeeeeell, I guess no one's perfect. tongue.gif

I guess Teen Wolf must be my horcrux, then. What do you need to destroy it? Nostalgia and a record needle?

But anyways...

I've heard that there's actually a channel out there on some cable providers (maybe it's digital) that's supposed to be the new "music video" channel. I can't remember for the life of me what it is, but they were primarily playing things by modern popular artists.. Thoughts? Should they have kept it going or just let MTV live and then die?

There was also MTV2 which played more music than its predecessor for a little while, but I think it got shut down. Shame. I used to watch Pimp My Ride on there every day. laugh.gif

I, too, grew up with MTV and watched it religiously in the 80's. And as much as I loved it as a teenager it probably did a lot to ruin music and make it more about image than the music. It was because of MTV that bands like Poison, Bon Jovi, Warrant, etc were as popular as they were in the 80's.

And through the 90's even though I watched it less and less, they really were revolutionary is some of the programming they came up with. The first few seasons of The Real World I enjoyed (they weren't just about a bunch of horny 20-somethings getting laid back then). Reality television kind of started with this show.

Beavis and Butthead of course is iconic and was one of the first "adult cartoons". I watched that show religiously. The Unplugged stuff was awesome with Nirvana, Page/Plant, etc all making legendary appearances...

MTV's ratings would plummet if they went back to videos. No one cares anymore, especially when all videos are so accessible on the internet. Back in the 80's you HAD to tune into MTV to see the new Van Halen video, Michael Jackson video, etc...even Rush got a lot of play through Grace Under Pressure.

Now Jersey Shore is racking up the ratings and it's total crap, but sadly crap sells

And for what it's worth, MTV no longer stands for Music Television. They dropped that a year ago