Once every 823 years...

laughedatbytime

Rubbish.

I hate any kind of email that asks me to forward it for luck, money, avoid a curse, etc. angry.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jul 26 2011, 08:22 AM)
Rubbish.

I hate any kind of email that asks me to forward it for luck, money, avoid a curse, etc. angry.gif

Absolutely yes.gif

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Jul 26 2011, 03:20 AM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jul 26 2011, 08:22 AM)
Rubbish.

I hate any kind of email that asks me to forward it for luck, money, avoid a curse, etc.  angry.gif

Absolutely yes.gif

Ditto

and when I get emails that says "Don't Delete" that is just what I do..

DELETE!!!

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jul 26 2011, 02:22 AM)
Rubbish.

I hate any kind of email that asks me to forward it for luck, money, avoid a curse, etc.  angry.gif

I only get this kind of crap from, let's just say, those who probably didn't even know what a computer was when they were kids - namely my parents, in-laws, aunts/uncles, etc. Interestingly, the notorious fast 'forwarders' are also the ones continually calling me because their computers are 'broken' and always have more malware on their system than software...and it's always the nastiest kind. No coincidence there. Fortunately, it's pretty easy to ID those emails from the subject line and they go straight to the junk folder. My philosophy is: if you want to send me a nice thought, then send me a nice thought...not some meaningless crap that you got from god-knows-who and forwarded to half the planet with my name buried somewhere in the 20-line recipient box. angry.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jul 26 2011, 09:11 AM)
These emails are normally prefaced by, "I don't normally send these, but....."

So don't, and F*** OFF!

My friends and family know better than to send me this kind of crap; they risk banishment to the "Blocked Senders" list for sending chain e-mails and the like. I have actually followed through with one family member who ignored my request repeatedly. Sometimes in conversation she'll say, "oh, you read that e-mail I sent Friday about the rare blue three-testicled sheep, right?" And I just have to smile and nod and fake something.

I've gotten this in my work e-mail and at least twice from Facebook friends. I smelled bullshit right away.

I ask them: "Wouldn't this happen every time July starts on a Friday? And wouldn't that happen once every seven years or so?"

Yes, it would! I checked Snopes. Actually, because of the irregularity of Leap Year, it would happen in the following pattern: it would happen one year, then again in six years, then in another five years, then in another six years, then again eleven years after that, and then the pattern repeats.

6-5-6-11. So, it never happens longer than eleven years since the last time it happened! "Every 823 years" my foot!

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/trivia/fivedays.asp

Who starts this kind of bullshit, and where do they get their facts?

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 26 2011, 08:41 AM)
Who starts this kind of bullshit?

People with way more free time than I have. laugh.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jul 26 2011, 08:45 AM)

I was gonna say "those damn Democrats" laugh.gif

obviously in jest, just to give GR some crap

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 26 2011, 08:28 AM)

So don't, and F*** OFF!

My friends and family know better than to send me this kind of crap; they risk banishment to the "Blocked Senders" list for sending chain e-mails and the like. I have actually followed through with one family member who ignored my request repeatedly. Sometimes in conversation she'll say, "oh, you read that e-mail I sent Friday about the rare blue three-testicled sheep, right?" And I just have to smile and nod and fake something.

I hear that. I have to keep 5 email accounts to keep my "main" one clear of most crap. Unfortunately, blood relatives get that address...otherwise, what's the point?

I guess I could create filters for the more notorious chain-mail subject headers. Hmmm. Maybe I will.

I've got them beat. You wanna know a REAL creepy secret?

There will be only one Tuesday, July 26, 2011, ever. This is it! Never again - not for 10 billion years.

We're all going to be rich!

Or it's the apocolypse. ph34r.gif

Edited by Steel Rat

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jul 26 2011, 08:50 AM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jul 26 2011, 08:45 AM)

I was gonna say "those damn Democrats" laugh.gif

obviously in jest, just to give GR some crap

rage.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 26 2011, 06:41 AM)

This guy is looking for those sort of facts right now....

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/funny-pictures202.jpg

laugh.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jul 27 2011, 07:13 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 26 2011, 06:41 AM)

This guy is looking for those sort of facts right now....

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/funny-pictures202.jpg

laugh.gif

Talk about 'arse about face'... tongue.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 26 2011, 09:28 AM)

So don't, and F*** OFF!

laugh.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jul 26 2011, 02:22 AM)
Rubbish.

yes.gif

Plus, they've been around pretty much since the internet boom of the mid 90s, do people still actually believe in or fall for this crap anymore?

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jul 26 2011, 09:45 AM)

Email address farmers. The more people who forward mail like this the more email addresses accumulate in the header info. Eventually it gets back to its source with thousands of valid email addresses attached which can then be sold to spammers and hackers.