• Revenge of the Sith
    • A New Hope
    • The Empire Strikes Back
    • Return of the Jedi

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 23 2011, 12:20 PM)
Ewoks are not pets. Ewoks are life forms of equal standing as the humans, wookies, etc in the film. Not even r2d2 is a pet.

Well Luke and company do eventually treat them as equals it seems but overall Ewoks are not equal to humans. If the were, they wouldn't have tried to cook Luke and Han. Humans are everywhere in the Star Wars world, while the entire Ewok population is regulated to the small forest moon of Endor. So when you look at the big picture they certainly aren't equal. Though i'm guessing fighting against the Empire helped the Ewoks earn some serious street cred across the galaxy.

R2D2 is a computer that has no feeling's so therefore it cannot even be considered to be a pet at all.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 24 2011, 02:20 AM)
Ewoks are not pets. Ewoks are life forms of equal standing as the humans, wookies, etc in the film. Not even r2d2 is a pet.

If I had my way, ewoks would've been the main course at the Fall of the Empire celebration party

I voted for The Empire Strikes Back, but I almost voted for Return Of The Jedi.

The Ewoks, although not completely horrible, were a waste of film, IMO. It was an obvious attempt by Lucas to market the film more to children. Aside from that, the film was magnificent. It was the fulfillment of the hero/messiah's quest. It had Luke's coming of age, his father's salvation, and an excellent resolution of the epic "Good v. Evil" battle.

Luke's revelation to Leia about their family heritage still moves me emotionally. It's a very underrated scene.

Luke: Vader is here, now, on this moon.

Leia: How do you know?

Luke: I felt his presence. He's come for me.... The dread in Luke's voice is bone-chilling.... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Luke's final battle with Vader and the Emperor still ranks in my book as the greatest scene from all of the Star Wars films. Nothing else comes close. Right down to the accompanying musical score, it still sends chills down my spine whenever I watch it. I can still remember being in the theater and seeing those death rays coming out of the Emperor's hands, and being totally AWESTRUCK. ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Star Wars, the original 1977 film. Nothing like it, not even within the rest of the SW series. It's got a look and feel to it - thanks perhaps to the Oscar-winning editing - that the others don't. And in 1977, we'd never seen anything like this before - not even close. It was a whole new ballgame after Star Wars came out in 1977.

QUOTE (invisible airwave @ Jul 22 2011, 01:16 PM)
80 was an awesome year for movies..

1977 was a great year, too.

Star Wars

Annie Hall

Saturday Night Fever

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

The Goodbye Girl

Smokey and the Bandit

Julia

Audrey Rose

Eraserhead

High Anxiety

And for kids:

The Rescuers, Candleshoe, Pete's Dragon, Race For Your Life Charlie Brown, and The Bad News Bears in Breaking Training.

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Jul 21 2011, 07:45 AM)
Lucas let the accolades in his early career go to his head and because of that he now has no filter when he frequently needs one. No one on his team would stand up to him either and it shows in his recent efforts.

Exactly. Nobody on his team has the balls to say, "Umm, George... this kind of sucks." They're too afraid of getting canned and blacklisted. George Lucas gained too much power.

You just know there had to be people working on the prequels who, like the audience, thought characters like Jar-Jar and Dex Jettster were stupid and some of the situations were boring or just plain loony... but nobody said so.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 25 2011, 12:20 PM)

Star Wars

Annie Hall

Saturday Night Fever

The Goodbye Girl

Smokey and the Bandit

Julia

Audrey Rose

Eraserhead

High Anxiety

And for kids:

The Rescuers, Candleshoe, Pete's Dragon, Race For Your Life Charlie Brown, and The Bad News Bears in Breaking Training.

I saw Eyes of Laura Mars on Showtime a few years ago, another good one from that year. Love the twist ending to it. Oddly enough, it's from the same director of Empire who recently died.

Edited by invisible airwave

Star Wars

Annie Hall

Saturday Night Fever

The Goodbye Girl

Smokey and the Bandit

Julia

Audrey Rose

Eraserhead

High Anxiety

And for kids:

I think 1980 wins smile.gif

The Shining

Empire Strikes Back

Caddyshack

Blues Brothers

Airplane!

Raging Bull

Elephant Man

Blue Lagoon

Ordinary People

Original Friday the 13th

Caddyshack, Airplane! and Blues Brothers biggrin.gif

QUOTE (invisible airwave @ Jul 25 2011, 01:03 PM)
I saw Eyes of Laura Mars on Showtime a few years ago, another good one from that year.

Eyes of Laura Mars was released in the late summer of '78, six weeks after Grease.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 25 2011, 01:20 PM)

Star Wars

Annie Hall

Saturday Night Fever

The Goodbye Girl

Smokey and the Bandit

Julia

Audrey Rose

Eraserhead

High Anxiety

And for kids:

ohmy.gif

I am SHOCKED that all that was released in one year.

WOW.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jul 25 2011, 01:11 PM)

Star Wars

Annie Hall

Saturday Night Fever

The Goodbye Girl

Smokey and the Bandit

Julia

Audrey Rose

Eraserhead

High Anxiety

And for kids:

The Shining

Empire Strikes Back

Caddyshack

Blues Brothers

Airplane!

Raging Bull

Elephant Man

Blue Lagoon

Ordinary People

Original Friday the 13th

You just put The Blue Lagoon in the same list as The Empire Strikes Back, The Raging Bull, The Shining, and The Elephant Man.

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 25 2011, 10:09 PM)

Star Wars

Annie Hall

Saturday Night Fever

The Goodbye Girl

Smokey and the Bandit

Julia

Audrey Rose

Eraserhead

High Anxiety

And for kids:

The Shining

Empire Strikes Back

Caddyshack

Blues Brothers

Airplane!

Raging Bull

Elephant Man

Blue Lagoon

Ordinary People

Original Friday the 13th

You just put The Blue Lagoon in the same list as The Empire Strikes Back, The Raging Bull, The Shining, and The Elephant Man.

biggrin.gif

Blue Lagoon was nothing more than us getting to see HER boobies.

All f-ing kidding aside... WOW were those years full of some good stuff.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 25 2011, 08:28 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 25 2011, 10:18 PM)
I saw most of these in the theater.  biggrin.gif

Me too. i clearly remember ROARING when the Blues Brothers drove through that mall.

I've seen that movies dozens of times in the past 25 or so years that I've been old enough to watch it, and that scene cracks me up every time.

"Baby clothes."

"This mall has got everything."

What kills me is the idea that the cops would be in there doing just as much damage as Jake.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 25 2011, 08:51 PM)

Star Wars

Annie Hall

Saturday Night Fever

The Goodbye Girl

Smokey and the Bandit

Julia

Audrey Rose

Eraserhead

High Anxiety

And for kids:

ohmy.gif

WOW.

Sayin'! trink39.gif

And that was a seminal year for me. Not only did all these good movies come out, many of them cultural touchstones for me (particularly Star Wars, Annie Hall, and Saturday Night Fever), but I was also living in California for that one year. I saw many of these movies at a big theater in San Jose, next to the Winchester Mystery House. A very memorable time in my life; events are often divided in my mind as being either "Before California (1977)" or "After California." It's like my own B.C. and A.D.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 26 2011, 08:30 AM)

Star Wars

Annie Hall

Saturday Night Fever

The Goodbye Girl

Smokey and the Bandit

Julia

Audrey Rose

Eraserhead

High Anxiety

And for kids:

ohmy.gif

WOW.

Sayin'! trink39.gif

And that was a seminal year for me. Not only did all these good movies come out, many of them cultural touchstones for me (particularly Star Wars, Annie Hall, and Saturday Night Fever), but I was also living in California for that one year. I saw many of these movies at a big theater in San Jose, next to the Winchester Mystery House. A very memorable time in my life; events are often divided in my mind as being either "Before California (1977)" or "After California." It's like my own B.C. and A.D.

Ahhh, yes...the Century theaters. I'm not from San Jose (actually from Las Vegas), but my wife is. I did happen to catch one of the prequels at the theater next to the Winchester Mystery House. (Also I ate breakfast at the cafe in the same lot not too long ago, as a matter of fact).

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 26 2011, 10:09 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 26 2011, 08:30 AM)

Star Wars

Annie Hall

Saturday Night Fever

The Goodbye Girl

Smokey and the Bandit

Julia

Audrey Rose

Eraserhead

High Anxiety

And for kids:

ohmy.gif

WOW.

Sayin'! trink39.gif

Ahhh, yes...the Century theaters. I'm not from San Jose (actually from Las Vegas), but my wife is. I did happen to catch one of the prequels at the theater next to the Winchester Mystery House. (Also I ate breakfast at the cafe in the same lot not too long ago, as a matter of fact).

trink39.gif

Yep, that's them. The Century Theaters. Big domes with lots of seating... which was needed for sold-out Star Wars shows in 1977. My first three viewings of Star Wars were in those theaters. I went back there in 1999 on my honeymoon. We took the tour of the Mystery House, something I didn't do in '77... although I had the ViewMasters of it. laugh.gif

http://www.3dstereo.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/museums/mus_winchester_g5.jpg

(Look at the picture of the front of the house - on the right, you can see the start of one of the Century Theater domes.)

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jul 26 2011, 11:00 AM)
I voted Return of the Jedi.

I can understand the majority picking Empire though.

Not at all surprisingly, the original trilogy is absolutely burying the prequels in the voting.

Well that goes without saying. It's hard to live up to the originals. I'd rank all five others above Jedi myself, but none above Empire...and Star Wars is about as good as it gets too. Even if the prequels were universally perceived to be EXCELLENT you'd still have that warm nostalgic and formative lean towards the films that many (most?) of us grew up with. That's tough to compete with on the best of days. Even presuming all other things equal I spent 10 Saturdays holed up in theaters seeing Empire in the summer of '80 when I was 10/11 and had no other cares, no other real desires other than to see this film over and over again. That's a great memory not easily quashed by movie experiences in my thirties.

Edited by Presto-digitation

Star Wars

Annie Hall

Saturday Night Fever

The Goodbye Girl

Smokey and the Bandit

Julia

Audrey Rose

Eraserhead

High Anxiety

And for kids:

The Shining

Empire Strikes Back

Caddyshack

Blues Brothers

Airplane!

Raging Bull

Elephant Man

Blue Lagoon

Ordinary People

Original Friday the 13th

Used Cars is f-ing hilarious! rofl3.gif

For Christ's sake, we're f*ckin' with the President of the United States.

He f*cks with us, doesn't he?