Best superhero portrayal in film?

JohnnyBlaze

Who did the best job portraying their character?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who did the best job portraying their character?

• Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark/Iron Man
    • Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker/Spider-Man
    • Hugh Jackman as Logan/Wolverine
    • Patrick Stewart as Professor X
    • Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne/Batman
    • Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach
    • Chris Hemsworth as Thor
    • Edward Norton as Bruce Banner/The Incredible Hulk
    • Christopher Reeve as Clark Kent/Superman
    • Other

QUOTE (burgeranacoke @ Jul 19 2011, 11:55 PM)
Batman with Adam West, love the show and still do, some of the best characterizations of villains are there.

You're on acid. wink.gif

"Good characterization"? No, just fun, campy crap that was meant to be exactly that. yes.gif

I could put on yellow tights, chomp on a cigar, attach metal claws to my fists, and say "Bub" a lot but that wouldn't make me a good characterization of Wolverine. Know what I'm sayin'? trink38.gif

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christopher Reeve IS Superman. 2nd vote would go to Hugh Jackman as Wolverine.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jul 19 2011, 04:11 PM)
I remember getting into casting debates on Usenet newsgroups back in the early 90's and no matter who else people chose to play Wolverine, Cyclops or Jean Grey, it was almost unanimous that people wanted Patrick Stewart to play Professor X. Dude was born for that role, and he nailed it.

That said, I voted for RDJr. because I think he embodied Tony Stark to a tee. When I see X-Men, I see Patrick Stewart with mental powers. When I see Iron Man, I see Tony Stark. Does that make sense? It's the same reason I can't watch anything that Tom Cruise is in - I never see his character, it's always just "Tom Cruise on screen doing stuff".

user posted image

That's exactly how I always characterize Cruise movies.

Top Pimp

Top Pilot

Top Pool Shark

Top Bartender

Top Brother

Top Spy

Top Race Car Driver

Top Mick

Top Marine

Top Nazi...

...user posted image

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 19 2011, 08:17 PM)
I could put on yellow tights, chomp on a cigar, attach metal claws to my fists, and say "Bub" a lot but that wouldn't make me a good characterization of Wolverine. Know what I'm sayin'? trink38.gif

That's what you do on superhero swingers night every Friday isn't it JB??

ph34r.gif laugh.gif

Batman with Adam West, love the show and still do, some of the best characterizations of villains are there.

You're on acid. wink.gif

"Good characterization"? No, just fun, campy crap that was meant to be exactly that. yes.gif

I could do that to you too...and you're right, I'm not sure it makes a good characterization of Wolverine.

user posted image

QUOTE (ioc @ Jul 21 2011, 02:27 PM)

You're on acid. wink.gif

I could do that to you too...and you're right, I'm not sure it makes a good characterization of Wolverine.

user posted image

laugh.gif

QUOTE (King Whompus @ Jul 17 2011, 01:30 AM)
Toby Maguire did an outstanding job with Spiderman imho. I voted for him. Robert Downy Jr. is the perfect role for Iron Man/Tony Stark too. Christen Bale was ok as Batman. Batman is my favorite hero of all time, but Bale's voice got on my nerves.

Yes. I voted for him though, but his voice got terribly annoying, especially in Dark Knight.

You're on acid. wink.gif

Without these folks the series would have been nothing and I really doubt that The Batman would be considered at all in the modern day movie lexicon without it.

Cesar Romero, Frank Gorshin, Burgess Meredith. Eartha Kitt/Julie Newmar

Characters played to a tee.

Comedy is not easy.

QUOTE (ioc @ Jul 22 2011, 04:27 AM)

You're on acid. wink.gif

user posted image

rofl3.gif

Brilliant!

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 22 2011, 03:56 AM)
I could put on yellow tights, chomp on a cigar, attach metal claws to my fists, and say "Bub" a lot but that wouldn't make me a good characterization of Wolverine. Know what I'm sayin'?  trink38.gif

That's what you do on superhero swingers night every Friday isn't it JB??

ph34r.gif laugh.gif

Don't be stupid. I go with the Sub-Mariner costume since it's just one drop of the green speedos. rofl3.gif

Considering the last Chris Reeve Superman film was released in 1987 and we're really judging him based on his 1978 performance, he's doing pretty well in this poll. I wonder how well Downey jnr's performance will do in a similar poll in 25 or 30 years time...

Christopher Reeve was perfection. wub.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 22 2011, 03:16 PM)
Considering the last Chris Reeve Superman film was released in 1987 and we're really judging him based on his 1978 performance, he's doing pretty well in this poll. I wonder how well Downey jnr's performance will do in a similar poll in 25 or 30 years time...

Downey was great but I can still a tiny bit of HIM in those movies. But I didn't see Reeve onscreen, just Supes.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 22 2011, 08:49 PM)

Downey was great but I can still a tiny bit of HIM in those movies. But I didn't see Reeve onscreen, just Supes.

While I understand that (evidenced by my earlier comment about Tom Cruise), I wonder if the comparison here isn't skewed a little bit... was Superman your first exposure to Christopher Reeve? How many of his other films have you seen and how many times? Compare "the Christopher Reeve experience" with RD Jr. Were you very aware of him before Iron Man, how many of his other movies, etc, etc.

Just a thought.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 22 2011, 09:49 PM)

Aye...

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jul 22 2011, 11:58 PM)

While I understand that (evidenced by my earlier comment about Tom Cruise), I wonder if the comparison here isn't skewed a little bit... was Superman your first exposure to Christopher Reeve? How many of his other films have you seen and how many times? Compare "the Christopher Reeve experience" with RD Jr. Were you very aware of him before Iron Man, how many of his other movies, etc, etc.

Just a thought.

Reeve was pretty much unknown before Superman but you can judge his performance by looking at work he did later and see that no other performances of his are anything like his Supes/Clark/Kal-El turns. Witness, Somewhere in Time, Deathtrap, The Bostonians, Switching Channels etc.

I'm not saying he's a better actor than RDJ overall but I can't agree that RDJ as Iron Man/Tony Stark is a better portrayal than Chris as Superman.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 23 2011, 01:20 AM)

Just a thought.

Reeve was pretty much unknown before Superman but you can judge his performance by looking at work he did later and see that no other performances of his are anything like his Supes/Clark/Kal-El turns. Witness, Somewhere in Time, Deathtrap, The Bostonians, Switching Channels etc.

I'm not saying he's a better actor than RDJ overall but I can't agree that RDJ as Iron Man/Tony Stark is a better portrayal than Chris as Superman.

Mr. Downey is a fantastic actor and his performance as Tony Stark is as good as it gets. But he brings a certain "product" to his performances, much like Nicholson as The Joker. You didn't get that with Reeve's Superman performance. That's why unknowns are sometimes cast.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 23 2011, 12:43 AM)

Just a thought.

Mr. Downey is a fantastic actor and his performance as Tony Stark is as good as it gets. But he brings a certain "product" to his performances, much like Nicholson as The Joker. You didn't get that with Reeve's Superman performance. That's why unknowns are sometimes cast.

Nicholson as the Joker was just JACK with make-up! Nicholson is great but he's more of a behaviourist rather than an outright chameleon character actor. JACK is always really just JACK. Jack the sailor, Jack the mick, Jack the murderer Jack the dick, Jack jump over the candlestick...

cool10.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 23 2011, 01:52 AM)

Just a thought.

Nicholson as the Joker was just JACK with make-up! Nicholson is great but he's more of a behaviourist rather than an outright chameleon character actor. JACK is always really just JACK. Jack the sailor, Jack the mick, Jack the murderer Jack the dick, Jack jump over the candlestick...

cool10.gif

Yes, he's much more "over the top" than most actors, but I still think the comparison applies. Robert Downey Jr. brings a bit of himself to every performance, though, obviously not as Jack Nicholson does.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 23 2011, 12:55 AM)

Just a thought.

cool10.gif

Yes, he's much more "over the top" than most actors, but I still think the comparison applies. Robert Downey Jr. brings a bit of himself to every performance, though, obviously not as Jack Nicholson does.

Yeah I agree and this is why his Iron Man is slightly flawed compared to Reeve's Superman.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 23 2011, 12:08 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 23 2011, 12:55 AM)

Just a thought.

cool10.gif

Yeah I agree and this is why his Iron Man is slightly flawed compared to Reeve's Superman.

I think you sold me.

I remember seeing the trailer for the new Sherlock Holmes movie before Harry Potter the other day and thinking, huh, it's Iron Man without the suit. So yeah... I think maybe there was more to the RDJ/Tony Stark performance than I realized. And yes, Reeves *is* Superman on-screen for me, but it's 100% because I've never seen him in anything else tongue.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jul 23 2011, 01:58 PM)

Just a thought.

Reeve in Deathtrap isn't Kal-El in Deathtrap. But there's a slight family relation with Robert Downey Jr's "Ian" in Weird Science, "Derek" in Back to School, and his Tony Stark. As I said, he's awesome as Stark BUT I still see a bit of the actor in there.