Best superhero portrayal in film?

JohnnyBlaze

Who did the best job portraying their character?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who did the best job portraying their character?

• Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark/Iron Man
    • Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker/Spider-Man
    • Hugh Jackman as Logan/Wolverine
    • Patrick Stewart as Professor X
    • Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne/Batman
    • Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach
    • Chris Hemsworth as Thor
    • Edward Norton as Bruce Banner/The Incredible Hulk
    • Christopher Reeve as Clark Kent/Superman
    • Other

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 17 2011, 09:52 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 17 2011, 11:14 AM)
I'm going with the man who set the bar - Christopher Reeve. I don't think the original Superman movies aged very well, but Christopher Reeve and Gene Hackman gave timeless performances. They basically showed everyone how it should be done.

As far as villains go, Hackman's Lex Luthor is second only to Ledger's Joker, in my book.

I'm surprised at all the Chris Reeve love.

Can't stand his portrayal of Superman. He's so annoying that I find myself rooting for the villains. Plus, in the one where he stopped the Earth's rotation and reversed it he should have actually become the biggest villain the world has ever seen. From the mid-latitudes to the equator the earth is spinning at approximately 700-1,000 mph. when he stopped the Earth everything would have continued to travel at that speed. People would have been thrown through buildings and killed in the millions if not billions. The only safe places would have been near the poles where the earth is spinning more slowly or not at all. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

That's more a critique of the character and writing, it wouldn't matter who played the part that Earth rotation scene would still bother you.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 17 2011, 11:08 PM)
I'm going with the man who set the bar - Christopher Reeve. I don't think the original Superman movies aged very well, but Christopher Reeve and Gene Hackman gave timeless performances. They basically showed everyone how it should be done.

As far as villains go, Hackman's Lex Luthor is second only to Ledger's Joker, in my book.

Can't stand his portrayal of Superman. He's so annoying that I find myself rooting for the villains. Plus, in the one where he stopped the Earth's rotation and reversed it he should have actually become the biggest villain the world has ever seen. From the mid-latitudes to the equator the earth is spinning at approximately 700-1,000 mph. when he stopped the Earth everything would have continued to travel at that speed. People would have been thrown through buildings and killed in the millions if not billions. The only safe places would have been near the poles where the earth is spinning more slowly or not at all. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

That's more a critique of the character and writing, it wouldn't matter who played the part that Earth rotation scene would still bother you.

that is true. all I know is Chris Reeve wants you dead.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 17 2011, 10:12 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 17 2011, 11:08 PM)

that is true. all I know is Chris Reeve wants you dead.

Well at least it would be an exciting death...

trink38.gif

I voted Robert Downey Jr. with Christopher Reeve as a very close second.

Oh, and as for the best villain, there's only one choice.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/41605_20966991756_3169892_n.jpg

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 17 2011, 06:15 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 17 2011, 04:02 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 16 2011, 11:51 PM)
I would have to go with Christopher Reeve. He pretty much IS Superman, to the extent that some Superman issues now draw Supes to look just like Chris.

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/5234/supermanonkrypton.jpg

And after that I'd say Patrick Stewart as Professor X, that was an inspired bit of casting if ever there was any...

Well said Pat.

I agree with Patrick Stewart too in the X-Men. Although I hate The Next Generation.

He was the best actor in that shit TV series. JMO

Nothing can touch the original Star Trek series and I'm a Star Wars guy.

Christopher Reeve was the Man.

Anyway when I was a kid I really loved Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno as The Incredible Hulk.

I think those two movies made by Hollywood are pure green SHIT.

Yeah Earl the original Star Trek series is the best and I think if you compare the films the first six are better than any TNG films too, TNG just didn't translate to the big screen.

The Hulk films were weak, and what the hell was Nick Nolte supposed to be in one of them??

Lou and Bill own Ed Norton and co...

Nolte was a very crappy version of The Absorbing Man.

I'm with you guys in regards to Stewart as Prof X and the original ST.

The Incredible Hulk film was decent imho and leagues above Ang Lee's HULK rubbish.

QUOTE (King Whompus @ Jul 18 2011, 02:53 AM)
Somebody should make a villains thread.

As I said before, I didn't include villains because I think Ledger would get a vast majority of the votes. 85% of votes for Ledger just isn't too interesting of a poll imho. But go ahead and do one and see what happens. trink39.gif

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Jul 17 2011, 11:39 PM)
i voted other, because although Christian is a good Batman, Michael Keaton was wayyyy better.

I don't remember Keaton doing anything spectacular in either film. Don't get me wrong though, he was definitely decent.

Maybe even better than Bale. But waaaay better? C'mon, stop being greedy with the cool10.gif

tongue.gif

pokey.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 17 2011, 11:50 PM)
QUOTE (King Whompus @ Jul 18 2011, 02:53 AM)
Somebody should make a villains thread.

As I said before, I didn't include villains because I think Ledger would get a vast majority of the votes. 85% of votes for Ledger just isn't too interesting of a poll imho. But go ahead and do one and see what happens. trink39.gif

Do a villains poll that excludes Ledger...

trink38.gif

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 18 2011, 11:52 AM)

Can't stand his portrayal of Superman. He's so annoying that I find myself rooting for the villains.

I never liked the goody-good boy scout Superman. But that's who he is. And Christopher Reeve did him perfectly. Furthermore, Reeve's portrayal of Superman acting like a fumbling dork in Clark Kent is pretty damn spot on. In fact, I think I just convinced myself to vote Reeve. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 18 2011, 12:01 AM)

Can't stand his portrayal of Superman. He's so annoying that I find myself rooting for the villains.

I never liked the goody-good boy scout Superman. But that's who he is. And Christopher Reeve did him perfectly. Furthermore, Reeve's portrayal of Superman acting like a fumbling dork in Clark Kent is pretty damn spot on. In fact, I think I just convinced myself to vote Reeve. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Yeah Reeve had it down and in some ways took Superman to a new level. He reinvented Superman to some extent. But even if you're Superman comic devotee and you don't agree with my last statement you will agree that Chris WAS excellent as Clark/Kal El.

cool.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 18 2011, 02:05 PM)

Yeah Reeve had it down and in some ways took Superman to a new level. He reinvented Superman to some extent. But even if you're Superman comic devotee and you don't agree with my last statement you will agree that Chris WAS excellent as Clark/Kal El.

cool.gif

yes.gif

I like the fact that somebody voted Rorschach (I nearly did). But I'm curious who that "other" vote is for. I pray it isn't some shit like Chris Evans as Johnny Storm/Human Torch or Nick Cage as Johnny Blaze/Ghost Rider.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 18 2011, 12:08 AM)

cool.gif

yes.gif

I like the fact that somebody voted Rorschach (I nearly did). But I'm curious who that "other" vote is for. I pray it isn't some shit like Chris Evans as Johnny Storm/Human Torch or Nick Cage as Johnny Blaze/Ghost Rider.

What about Hasselhoff as Nick Fury! Or Ben affleck as Daredevil...Or whoever it was who played the Punisher...

laugh.gif

Meanwhile I think I prefer Nicholas Hammond as Spiderman over Toby...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 18 2011, 02:15 PM)

cool.gif

yes.gif

What about Hasselhoff as Nick Fury! Or Ben affleck as Daredevil...Or whoever it was who played the Punisher...

laugh.gif

Saw that Nick Hasselhoff Fury tv film...that movie's destiny [and anyone associated with it] was to be a failure.

Ben Affleck: not tough or smart enough to play Matt Murdock/Daredevil.

Punisher: Dolph? Thomas Jane? Ray Stevenson?

Oh yeah, despite the show being total shite, Nicholas Hammond was really good as a non-teenage Peter Parker.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 18 2011, 12:28 AM)

cool.gif

yes.gif

laugh.gif

Saw that Nick Hasselhoff Fury tv film...that movie's destiny [and anyone associated with it] was to be a failure.

I think Dolph did play him didn't he, yeah. Totally wrong for the part. Dolph would have been better as a Russian boxer who somehow got in a superhero movie or a henchman who didn't speak.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 18 2011, 02:32 PM)

cool.gif

yes.gif

laugh.gif

I think Dolph did play him didn't he, yeah. Totally wrong for the part. Dolph would have been better as a Russian boxer who somehow got in a superhero movie or a henchman who didn't speak.

Back in the mid 80s I kept casting him as Colossus and Mel Gibson as Wolverine. I'm sure I wasn't the only 12 year old kid fantasizing about that. trink38.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 18 2011, 12:35 AM)

cool.gif

yes.gif

laugh.gif

Back in the mid 80s I kept casting him as Colossus and Mel Gibson as Wolverine. I'm sure I wasn't the only 12 year old kid fantasizing about that. trink38.gif

Hey yeah I can see Mel as the Wolverine, he's kind of short and stocky with thick arms and he's pretty wolfmanesque in the body hair department. Plus he's nuts!! laugh.gif

Btw the top villains would definitely include Hackman as Lex, Stamp as Zod and Dafoe as Osbourne/the Goblin.

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Jul 17 2011, 07:54 PM)
This one is really hard to choose!!!

RD Jr. made me leave the theater wanting to be Tony Stark.

TM was the perfect wimp to play Spidey.

HJ had the best look for Wolverine.

PS as mentioned before IS Dr. X.

CB...Good but I just don't see HIM as Batman.

JEH was perfect and seemed destined to be Rorschach.

CH...haven't seen Thor.

EN good job but too young to be The Hulk.

CR...Well he simply was Superman.

The advantage of playing a super hero from the comics is that the character is already on complete display for you to simply imitate with little left for interpretation, which could also be a disadvantage but if I have to vote for who brought the character to life as close to what the comics depict, I'm voting Jackie Earl Haley.

Yeah, I nearly voted Rorschach too which is saying a lot given those list of actors.

Thor: I thought that movie was all but guaranteed to fail. He's not exactly the easiest character to pass off in a movie. But yeah, just a fun movie with a young actor that got the role down right.

Ed Norton as The Incredible Hulk: too young? How do you figure? Norton's age (40 or very close to that) is pretty much perfect. It's not like Bruce Banner is Professor X age.

Bale not Batman: If not Bale as Batman, then who? I'm not disagreeing... merely interested in who you see as playing the character.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 18 2011, 02:40 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 18 2011, 12:35 AM)

cool.gif

yes.gif

laugh.gif

Hey yeah I can see Mel as the Wolverine, he's kind of short and stocky with thick arms and he's pretty wolfmanesque in the body hair department. Plus he's nuts!! laugh.gif

Btw the top villains would definitely include Hackman as Lex, Stamp as Zod and Dafoe as Osbourne/the Goblin.

Gibson...Lethal Weapon 1 where he's buying coke off some dealers in a Christmas tree lot...goes nuts, eyes all bugged out...made me think Wolverine. Before that film I was thinking Kurt Russell as Wolvie due to Escape from NY. Anyways...

I'd go with Dafoe.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 18 2011, 01:35 AM)
I can't believe Tobey tied Reeve.

He sucks.

"No Respect!"

Love,

Rodney Dangerfield

Most of the Toby voters are anonymous too...too scared to come out into the light and admit it...

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 18 2011, 03:57 PM)

He sucks.

"No Respect!"

Love,

Rodney Dangerfield

Most of the Toby voters are anonymous too...too scared to come out into the light and admit it...

biggrin.gif

Not Tobey eh? How about Andrew Garfield in the upcoming reboot?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/46/Spider-Man_Film-1.jpg

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 18 2011, 02:05 AM)

He sucks.

"No Respect!"

Love,

Rodney Dangerfield

biggrin.gif

Not sure JB, we'll have to wait and see mate...

trink38.gif

And the guy who played The Human Torch is now gonna play Captain America, which is fuckked up...

ph34r.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 18 2011, 04:16 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 18 2011, 02:05 AM)

He sucks.

"No Respect!"

Love,

Rodney Dangerfield

biggrin.gif

Not sure JB, we'll have to wait and see mate...

trink38.gif

And the guy who played The Human Torch is now gonna play Captain America, which is fuckked up...

ph34r.gif

Of course, but at least I don't dislike Garfield going into the film. They could've gone and done something really stupid like get Shia LeBouf to be Peter Parker.

Human Torch=Chris Evans=Captain America. Yeah, not liking it. He seems more like an actor from a crappy 80s sitcom playing the Human Torch in a made-for-tv movie of the Fantastic 4. In fact, he's like a grown-up Mark-Paul "Zack Morris" Gosselaar laugh.gif

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/E.jpghttp://www.mypspwallpapers.com/uploads/200706/f/1181361402.jpg

Hope he doesn't f**k up Cap too much. trink38.gif