No "Chaos" Here! A Real Ryche Reality Check!

RUSHHEAD666

Which Album Do You Love The Most?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which Album Do You Love The Most?

• "Operation Mindcrime"
    • "Empire"

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 14 2011, 11:55 AM)
QUOTE (tjtull @ Jul 14 2011, 06:56 AM)
QUOTE (The K Man @ Jul 14 2011, 12:17 AM)
Mindcrime is slightly better out of the two.

Promised Land is their best CD.

Promised Land is my favorite QR album as well.

for me, Promised Land began their decent into the abyss from which they would never return.

I think it was the last great one they had. I loved with PL that they went darker again as opposed to continuing the mainstream sound on Empire. It reminded me a lot more of the themes they wrote about in the 80s.

There's a lot of great tunes on PL. I Am I, Damage, Bridge, the title track, My Global Mind and One More Time Around. Someone Else is just an awesome tune.

Mindcrime is the undisputed king and will always be my favorite album from them. But RFO and PL are pretty close when it comes to second favorite.

Promised Land was a WTF for a lot of people when it first came out.

It wasn't metal enough for the fans who had been with them through the 80s, and it wasn't catchy and accessible enough for a lot of the new fans they got from Empire. Fortunately, time has been kind to it, and most diehards put it near the top when ratings their CDs.

I remember being shocked when I saw them on the PL tour and there were only 3 or 4 thousand to see them at a venue that would have held 11 or 12 thousand. Regardless, the show was killer.

Edited by The K Man

QUOTE (The K Man @ Jul 14 2011, 03:31 PM)
Promised Land was a WTF for a lot of people when it first came out.

It wasn't metal enough for the fans who had been with them through the 80s, and it wasn't catchy and accessible enough for a lot of the new fans they got from Empire. Fortunately, time has been kind to it, and most diehards put it near the top when ratings their CDs.

I remember being shocked when I saw them on the PL tour and there were only 3 or 4 thousand to see them at a venue that would have held 11 or 12 thousand. Regardless, the show was killer.

Promised Land still went platinum in the US. So there must've been a lot of people who liked what they heard when it came out. I remember the local radio station here playing I Am I and Bridge a lot back then.

I've always felt Promised Land is more true to the Queensryche sound than Empire is.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jul 13 2011, 10:28 AM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 13 2011, 07:36 AM)
...in fact if I rank their first five albums, Empire would be last. The more interesting poll would've been Rage For Order vs. Mindcrime. It probably wouldn't be as one sided as I think this will turn out to be...

^ THIS

goodpost.gif

That would have been a better poll. "Rage For Order" is an amazing album.

I remember seeing that tour. The opened up for AC/DC on the "Who Made Who" Tour.

I will never forget Scott's awesome drum kit. It looked like a giant black octopus with cymbals. The long black tubes were coming out of the kit.

It was amazing.

Wow, this band really has taken a turn for the worst.

Queensryche was in my Top Ten Bands Of All Time List up to the "Hear In the Now Frontier" album.

Once Chris left, they SUCKED!

Mindcrime was the album that got me into them in the first place. Then shortly after that, my friend who got me into them and I went to see them open for Metallica in 1988. That was a kick ass show for sure. That was one of the best live shows I have ever seen.

Empire is a great album as well, but I have to give Mindcrime the nod here.

Mindcrime of course, and after seeing them do it live with the stage performance was utterly amazing even more so. Rage is my fave overall tho

Someone call Sony, Warner, Universal, and the others - apparently there are no more record companies. Thank god that's over. Damn record companies were screwing everything up but now that they're gone...

oh, wait. Tate's full of crap. /sigh.

The problem with Queensryche is that they never evolved much given how old they are. Rush is still Rush, but the stuff they put out now is an evolution of the band. Queensryche held onto the 80's prog metal formula until it was no longer sustainable and then abruptly changed to whatever the hell they're calling Dedicated to Chaos because Tate doesn't believe in genres.

Whatever. Mindcrime was their Moving Pictures, but they didn't capitalize on that and futureproof themselves at the time by saying, "Look, this was great and all, but there's more to us than that one album, that one style".

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jul 19 2011, 12:30 AM)
Someone call Sony, Warner, Universal, and the others - apparently there are no more record companies. Thank god that's over. Damn record companies were screwing everything up but now that they're gone...

oh, wait. Tate's full of crap. /sigh.

The problem with Queensryche is that they never evolved much given how old they are. Rush is still Rush, but the stuff they put out now is an evolution of the band. Queensryche held onto the 80's prog metal formula until it was no longer sustainable and then abruptly changed to whatever the hell they're calling Dedicated to Chaos because Tate doesn't believe in genres.

Whatever. Mindcrime was their Moving Pictures, but they didn't capitalize on that and futureproof themselves at the time by saying, "Look, this was great and all, but there's more to us than that one album, that one style".

I'm not sure what exactly you're taking about here? As much as they've sucked over the last decade, they have evolved as a band. Every album weather you like it or not has it's own sound and feel to it.

How exactly did they not capitalize off of Mindcrime? Empire came out after that and it's their most successful album. So they most certainly did capitalize on the popularity Mindcrime gave them and doubled it with Empire.

Queensryche's fall from grace isn't due to lack of evolving, it's because Chris DeGarmo, the heart, soul and primary songwritter left and Tate/Wilton forgot how to write good songs together.

He knows its over for the band and he's a little waaah about it.

I still think one of the reasons why the band fell from orbit was because they waited way too long to make Mindcrime II, and they *knew* that they had to... the perfect time would have been after Promised Land, although I could argue that they should have made it after Empire. Empire was done more or less to prove that they *weren't* going to milk the success of Mindcrime, even though prolly should have. Everyone I talked to who was a Mindcrime fan back int he day wanted to know what happened story wise, and how good the music was going to be.

Then they wait twenty years to do it, and on top of that the music is just not up to standard. I'm sorry to say that because I love the band, but it doesn't measure up to the heavy metal opera that was Mindcrime. Geoff's voice could not handle it, the detuned guitars make the album sound muddy, and the actual mix was terrible.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 14 2011, 11:55 AM)
QUOTE (tjtull @ Jul 14 2011, 06:56 AM)
QUOTE (The K Man @ Jul 14 2011, 12:17 AM)
Mindcrime is slightly better out of the two.

Promised Land is their best CD.

Promised Land is my favorite QR album as well.

for me, Promised Land began their decent into the abyss from which they would never return.

I like Promised Land but I've got it a clear 6th behind the first four albums and the EP...

trink38.gif

Geoff Tate: "Rock is Dead"

Nameless Promoter for Judas Priest: "Wanna open for the Priest"

Geoff Tate: "Hell yeah"

Have you ever really liked a band for many years, then they do something so bad, so awful that as much as you loved their back catalog you are permanently scarred ?

That's how I feel about the Ryche. First CDG goes, then we get the "theatrical" OM2, then it's the "Cabaret" show, now it's the "Chaos" album an d"Rock is Dead"

I can't even play RFO or OM1 without thinking what a douche GT is.

Sad