YES! I'm A Hypocrite! "FLY FROM HERE" To

I'm "Going For The One" on this thread! Hell, I'm actually trembling as I stand "Close To The Edge" but I must say that the new Yes album "Fly From Here" is incredible.

Steve Howe steals the show.

Benoit David's vocals are outstanding and they don't get on my nerves like Jon can do sometimes. JMO

Yeah, I also love "Calling All Stations" by Genesis, so some of you might think that I am a strange duck. Wait! You already think that! LOL!

This album is f'n great and it's not even done yet. I'm blown away.

It's like Yes meets Asia with Downes in the band now. WOW! Rabin produced this gem? Damn.

As some of you know I absolutely can't stand Arnel's vocals in Journey, but Benoit David's vocals are outstanding to my ears.

You could argue that Yes doesn't really sound like Yes at all anymore, but if you have an open mind you will fall in love with this album upon only one listen.

I'm hooked you guys.

I wasn't going to waste my time going to Yes on this current tour but I'm fukking going for sure!!

Signed,

"The Man You Always Wanted Me To Be"

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have the album yet but the samples sound promising. I think Benoit David sounds more like Horn than Anderson. Some of the videos I've seen of him sounded very good, and others sounded bad. I'm seeing them Friday so I'll see what I think of them live. Hopefully it will be a good show. I'm looking forward to Styx too. Edited by ColdFireYYZ

Holy shit you guys! You have to love Japan!!

Japan must have pressed it first! I got my copy today! Limited with a dvd and a Roger Dean poster!!

This album is mellow too. Could be the prog album of the year!

Shit dudes, I am so pumped that I just went online and scored center 102 row AA on August 3rd at Shoreline.

Yes, Styx and Kansas.

Are you fukking kidding me?

I thought my summer concert addiction was over!

PROG ON! 1022.gif

Steve Howe is God.

When I saw Asia in SF a few years ago and they played the first album all they way through before leaving for their Japan leg I was totally blown away.

Now half of Asia is in Yes with a new singer who I dig.

Wow!!

Squire and White too?

This could be the MK Suprise Of The Century!

I mean "The Edge Of The Century!"

Signed,

STYX

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jul 6 2011, 11:39 PM)
Hate to rain on the parade here, but no Jon= no Yes. no.gif

I know dude! Jon is a Legend don't get me wrong but I'm digging the new vibe which I thought I would hate.

It's like saying "No Journey without Steve Perry."

Ironically I think the first three Journey albums without Perry are perfect masterpieces!!

I'm giving this MK a chance. Heck at least I will get to see Kansas and Styx too!

I guess 77 you could say the new Yes band is "The Grand Illusion." laugh.gif

Maybe I should look into my "Crystal Ball" and watch out for "Heavy Metal Poisoning!" trink39.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jul 7 2011, 02:39 AM)

The way I look at is if it's good music, then it's good music regardless of the lineup. I'd rather have Jon in the group, but if this lineup makes a great album and performs a good show then it's fine with me. JMO

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 7 2011, 01:43 AM)
QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jul 6 2011, 11:39 PM)

I know dude! Jon is a Legend don't get me wrong but I'm digging the new vibe which I thought I would hate.

It's like saying "No Journey without Steve Perry."

Ironically I think the first three Journey albums without Perry are perfect masterpieces!!

I'm giving this MK a chance. Heck at least I will get to see Kansas and Styx too!

I guess 77 you could say the new Yes band is "The Grand Illusion." laugh.gif

Maybe I should look into my "Crystal Ball" and watch out for "Heavy Metal Poisoning!" trink39.gif

I won't totally write it off just yet. Yes has been one of my favorites for years and Steve Howe will always beone of my heroes so I might pick it up. It's kinda like the Priest situation with KK. Sometimes it's a little hard to accept when a legendary band replaces such an iconic member. Jon was such a huge part of the band. It's like AC/DC without the Youngs! unsure.gif

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jul 7 2011, 01:47 AM)

someone's never heard Drama...

Actually I love Drama. I just wish Benoit didn't try to sound so much like Jon.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jul 6 2011, 11:47 PM)

someone's never heard Drama...

Hey Hog!

It took me a long time to warm up to "Drama" but I do enjoy it.

Do you like "Tormato?"

Not bad.

I actually like Rabin's solo album entitled "Wolf" especially because Simon Phillips is on drums.

You are a drummer too dude, I bet you love Simon.

1022.gif

I've noticed over the years that lots of TRFr's love "DRAMA" on here. laugh.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 6 2011, 11:45 PM)

The way I look at is if it's good music, then it's good music regardless of the lineup. I'd rather have Jon in the group, but if this lineup makes a great album and performs a good show then it's fine with me. JMO

trink39.gif

This record is melodic and mellow prog. It's like Marillion meets Kino meets Yes meets Asia meets Blackfield.

I know I'm 43, but man this record moves me only after one spin.

It's not the beer talking either. tongue.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jul 7 2011, 01:39 AM)

As I asked on another thread - what's he done recently that's been any good? I'll answer that for you - nothing.

Yes no longer need him or Wakeman.

I listened to it on YouTube and it is a nice album. It is also a little more mellow, as someone pointed out. Guess my expectations were for the title track to be a little more "Machine Messiah" than "And You and I". I think its a good sounding album, well made. Probably will buy it, too. I think for me I wanted more out of Alan White and Chris Squire in terms of complexity. Asking too much? I haven't dissected the music yet, just a quick listen on YouTube like I said, but its a pretty straight forward set of songs.

It came across to me like a Drama-era Yes meets Asia meets the '80's. But since I like all that stuff, I can't complain! smile.gif

Just an aside: Been a lot of Yes fans giving the band hell about their first two nights with Styx on this tour, and Geoff Downes has a blog addressing some of those issues. Can't remember the addy, but over at Yesfans.com they have a link.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 7 2011, 12:52 AM)
...Benoit David's vocals are outstanding and they don't get on my nerves like Jon can do sometimes. JMO

^ I found this comment interesting

would you give us some examples of those 'nerve-getting' moments from Jon?

I decided to listen to the new album, and its great! Much better than I expected. All of the band sounds great, especially Howe and Downes, and the only bad track is Bumpy Ride. It reminds me of a mellow Drama. Edited by ColdFireYYZ

Meh. JA is over-rated, IMO. And I really dig Drama too. yes.gif

unsure.gif

ph34r.gif