I'm listening to Test For Echo, and

Rush Cocky

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 30 2011, 07:22 PM)
See there are lots of people that love Time And Motion.

I am one.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 30 2011, 06:22 PM)
See there are lots of people that love Time And Motion.

lots!

love it

T4E makes a great e.p.:

Side A

> T4E

> Driven

Side B

> Totem

> T&M

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 30 2011, 05:34 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jun 30 2011, 05:52 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 30 2011, 12:40 PM)
Lyrically, Half The World might be the best song of the last 20 years easy.

^ if you weren't sure whether he was goofing or not at first, this post removed all doubt

laugh.gif

eh.gif I totally agree with Rush Cocky. yes.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 30 2011, 06:36 PM)

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 30 2011, 01:40 PM)

I love that tune. And I really like TFE.

facepalm.gif (you guys are killing me)

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 30 2011, 12:03 PM)
WOW....I never thought I'd be saying this about TFE, but I am really liking this album!

The guitar riffs may be in the top 5 of any Rush album. Listening to Totem right now, for the first time I'm appreciating Alex's little intricacies that he's throwing in there.

The title track on this album is starting to blow me away musically, and Time and Motion sounds great. Sure Virtuality will always have the cheesy lyric, and Carve Away The Stone will continue to be a weak closer. But this one is picking up a lot of steam on the charts with me.

I've really loving this album right now.

I hope that someday I pop this album in and feel the same way, I've been trying to like it for years and it just doesn't happen. Maybe someday it will click and I'll say "this is the best album ever"?

QUOTE (MCM @ Jun 30 2011, 07:39 PM)
WOW....I never thought I'd be saying this about TFE, but I am really liking this album!

The guitar riffs may be in the top 5 of any Rush album.  Listening to Totem right now, for the first time I'm appreciating Alex's little intricacies that he's throwing in there.

The title track on this album is starting to blow me away musically, and Time and Motion sounds great.  Sure Virtuality will always have the cheesy lyric, and Carve Away The Stone will continue to be a weak closer.  But this one is picking up a lot of steam on the charts with me.

I hope that someday I pop this album in and feel the same way, I've been trying to like it for years and it just doesn't happen. Maybe someday it will click and I'll say "this is the best album ever"?

That happened to me with HYF and PoW. It took a lot of listening, though.

Next, Rushgoober will tell us that he's hearing the greatness of Vapor Trails. tongue.gif

I don't hate TFE, but I agree with trenken that it sounds uninspired. It sounds a bit like they just repeated the formula of CP, but without the freshness and with some very unfortunate lyric choices from Neil.

Sonically it sounds great, and on paper it should be a great album: Peter Collins producing, a few odd time signatures, some nice guitar tones, etc. But somehow it never quite gels, mostly due to the material I think.

I did gain some appreciation for the music on TFE when watching Peart's Work In Progress DVD, though. NeilFinal.gif

It's an okay one for me. I like the descriptive lyrics of the title track. Driven and the lyric "Driven on - By the road to somewhere I've never been" is cool. Half the World is good even though it's repetitive. The Color Of Right is okay. Time And Motion is not (so much) - it just doesn't groove for me. It's one of those heavy songs that just weighs on you. Probably one of my least favorite Rush songs - it's down there keeping Freeze company. Totem, I like. I think Dog Years is both wistful and playful all at once. Yes, I like it! Virtuality is catchy, and the lyric "I can save the universe in a grain of sand/ I can hold the future in my virtual hand" seems to be a nod to one of my very favorite poems, William Blake's Auguries of Innocence.* Resist is probably one of my top five or ten Rush songs. Limbo is cute. I like Carve Away The Stone...the lyrics are light and yet determined at the same time and balance the heavy parts of the music.

All in all, this album is an interesting mix of some of my favorites and some of my least favorites.

*Speaking of this poem, has anyone else ever read it the whole way through and noticed how many similarities with Rush lyrics there are?

Edited by 1 of the 7

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 30 2011, 05:07 PM)
Hate, hate, HATE this album. Ive been giving it a try since it came out. If I dont like an album after 15 years, I dont think Ill ever like it.

I remember reading someone had a change of heart on an album after 20 years, so you still have 5 years to like it. smile.gif

QUOTE (MCM @ Jun 30 2011, 08:39 PM)

The guitar riffs may be in the top 5 of any Rush album.  Listening to Totem right now, for the first time I'm appreciating Alex's little intricacies that he's throwing in there.

The title track on this album is starting to blow me away musically, and Time and Motion sounds great.  Sure Virtuality will always have the cheesy lyric, and Carve Away The Stone will continue to be a weak closer.  But this one is picking up a lot of steam on the charts with me.

Don't know if it is a candidate for best ever, it definitely has it's weak points (as mentioned earlier). But my favorites on here include pretty much everything except Carve Away the Stone, and I'm not a big fan of Time & Motion either. I have to be in a certain mood to listen to Resist. And if you take the "Net Boy, Net Girl" part out of Virtuality (as MITA has done) that song is pretty killer actually.

I'm thinking TFE is moving into my upper half of albums tomorrow when I redo my list. smile.gif

I truely love the album maybe because T4E was my first tour seeing Rush in the US of A with the 3 hour shows.

Outstanding tracks: T4E, Driven, Half The World, Dog Years, Limbo and Resist in both versions.

Probably my least favorite album next to RTB. It is also their least consistent album. There are som great moments on this record but there are some absolute clunkers. I'll give it another spin, but I lean toward disliking this album each time I hear the second half.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 1 2011, 02:29 AM)
Your post makes me never want to play "TFE" again.

There are some great musical moments on this album but lyrically it's the worst Rush album ever written.

There is a lot of "Roll The Bones" hate on here too but I think Neil's lyrics are a lot better.

Just compare "Ghost Of A Chance" to "Dog Beers" or "Virtuality."

Those songs lyrically are pure garbage.

Even the great Neil can fail. Well for my ears.

Luckily as a drummer, I just tune that shit out and focus on the music.

"Carve Away The Stone" is one of the worst Rush songs even recorded.

That's pure BS.

My post did absolutely NOTHING to change your pre-conceived hatred of the album. You had made up your mind before you even posted your opinion.

And as drummer also, I love his drumming on this album.

And Roll The Bones lyrically makes me want to jump off a tall building. Since I have no desire to die, I avoid it like the plague.

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 30 2011, 08:55 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 30 2011, 05:07 PM)
Hate, hate, HATE this album. Ive been giving it a try since it came out. If I dont like an album after 15 years, I dont think Ill ever like it.

I remember reading someone had a change of heart on an album after 20 years, so you still have 5 years to like it. smile.gif

Well when I say never, I mean I cant envision myself ever liking it, especially considering the kind of music that turns me on now. Just those kind of standard issue safe rock songs dont do anything for me.

Its the kind of music where I dont personally think Rush was the best at writing. Id much rather listen to a band like Live who wrote songs like those but with a hell of a lot more energy and just more more interesting sounds.

What I thought Rush was the best at was very adventurous songs, creative arrangements, etc... but when they got away from that in the 90s they just started really blending in with the rest of the 90s rock bands out there.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jul 1 2011, 07:34 AM)
My post did absolutely NOTHING to change your pre-conceived hatred of the album.  You had made up your mind before you even posted your opinion.

Why do you imply that he only hates the album because he somehow wants to?

And if he's afraid of developing a kind of Stockholm Syndrome - not that it would necessarily be that - for Test for Echo with repeated listens after reading your post, it's perfectly fine, and you really shouldn't have a problem with it.

Edited by StellarJetman

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Jul 1 2011, 10:04 AM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jul 1 2011, 07:34 AM)
My post did absolutely NOTHING to change your pre-conceived hatred of the album.  You had made up your mind before you even posted your opinion.

Why do you imply that he only hates the album because he somehow wants to

I didn't say that.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jul 1 2011, 08:06 AM)

I didn't say that.

My point was that throwing around phrases like "pre-conceived hatred" and "made up your mind" paints his dislike as an end in itself.

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Jul 1 2011, 10:18 AM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jul 1 2011, 08:06 AM)

I didn't say that.

My point was that throwing around phrases like "pre-conceived hatred" and "made up your mind" paints his dislike as an end in itself.

There is no possible way anyone could read my post and have that strong of a negative opinion of that album.

The truth is he listened to it, he didn't like it. OK fine, whatever.

But don't blame my post for your hate.

Only point. Moving on.......

Have some bacon! bacon.gif

Mr. Cock I am glad to hear your sudden love for T4E

best album ever, and I do love the lyrics.

The Color Of Right is my least favorite off the album, but in my Top 30.

it was the first rush album I EARNED because I had straight "A"s in 3rd Grade. The title track blew me away. i just love how Alex makes the guitar sound like a totally different instrument, like in Resist it sounds like a piano

So, yeah Test For Echo forever! wub.gif 1022.gif wub.gif 1022.gif wub.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 30 2011, 12:36 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 30 2011, 10:40 AM)

cool10.gif

Are you being saracastic? I can't tell.

I'm guessing he is....because there is no way that song has ANY reedeming qualities.

This album is unlistenable, a total disgrace.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 3 2011, 08:29 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 30 2011, 12:36 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 30 2011, 10:40 AM)

cool10.gif

Are you being saracastic? I can't tell.

I'm guessing he is....because there is no way that song has ANY reedeming qualities.

This album is unlistenable, a total disgrace.

eyesre4.gif It's not that bad. Sheesh...