BRING BACK WINTER! I hate summer. . .

Mara

I think I start a thread like this every year; no better time than the first official day of Hell on Earth, aka summer in the southern USA.

I grew up here and I hate summer. Once upon a time it at least had the marginally redemptive feature of meaning time off from school. Then I grew up and got a job and my hatred of summer increased exponentially.

The oppressive heat. The wet steamy air. The bugs. Coming back in from a short trip outdoors and needing a shower because not only are you gross and sweaty, but greasy as well thanks to the layer of Deep Woods Off that is de rigeur for anyone wanting to avoid exsanguination by mosquito.

This year we have the bonus feature of the neighborhood kids and their basketball net out in our cul de sac. It's too hot for them to play during the day, so from about 7pm on until late into the night it's bounce, bounce, bounce, freaking bounce. Because of course, they don't have to get up for school.

I really f*ckin' hate summer.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when "winter" means single digit temperatures for weeks straight, going out to shovel snow and ice when your hands suffer from raynaud's syndrome, driving 30 mph on highways just to stay alive, and the sun coming up at 9am and going down at 3pm, you learn to just use an air conditioner when it gets *too* hot, and appreciate the rest of the summer season for what it is laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 21 2011, 04:32 PM)
I think I start a thread like this every year; no better time than the first official day of Hell on Earth, aka summer in the southern USA.

I grew up here and I hate summer. Once upon a time it at least had the marginally redemptive feature of meaning time off from school. Then I grew up and got a job and my hatred of summer increased exponentially.

The oppressive heat. The wet steamy air. The bugs. Coming back in from a short trip outdoors and needing a shower because not only are you gross and sweaty, but greasy as well thanks to the layer of Deep Woods Off that is de rigeur for anyone wanting to avoid exsanguination by mosquito.

This year we have the bonus feature of the neighborhood kids and their basketball net out in our cul de sac. It's too hot for them to play during the day, so from about 7pm on until late into the night it's bounce, bounce, bounce, freaking bounce. Because of course, they don't have to get up for school.

Oh, I bet it's not as bad as 113-117 degree weather and humidity and giant mosquitoes tongue.gif

I live in the 12th hottest city in the world.

In this town.. Summer isn't the best. Fall/Winter is far and away better.

But I've become more optimistic about it.

Most of my folks live down in Sacramento - my Aunt/Uncle, Grandma/Grandpa in specific live right next to a good entry to the river. When I spent the night recently for father's day, I woke up at 5 to walk down to the river and swam for about 20 minutes..

Just imagine swimming in this during sunrise:

http://activerain.com/image_store/uploads/5/3/9/4/0/ar121985021804935.JPG

Perhaps I'll start driving down to other rivers by here and spend more mornings like that... But never would I resort to the gunky river here.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 21 2011, 04:36 PM)
when "winter" means single digit temperatures for weeks straight, going out to shovel snow and ice when your hands suffer from raynaud's syndrome,  driving 30 mph on highways just to stay alive, and the sun coming up at 9am and going down at 3pm, you learn to just use an air conditioner when it gets *too* hot, and appreciate the rest of the summer season for what it is laugh.gif

I hear that.

Actually, I endure these unbearable winters up north for the sole purpose of not having to endure the even more unbearable summers down south. I'm tellin ya, it's bad. But then, I'm pretty hot-natured.

I could never live in the south. I'd die. The summers in Chicago can kick my ass, and they've got nothing on Atlanta...so I feel you pain Mara.

I enjoy the longer days, but I do grow tired of feeling sticky and sweaty. You can dress for the cold, but you can only take off so many layers before you get arrested. wink.gif

Oh, I once spent a week with my sister and her husband in Chicago in January.

They were flabbergasted that I kept volunteering to walk the dog. Sure, I bundled up, but I found it rather invigorating.

Love cold weather. I can't stand being cold indoors (my office is kept at 68 degrees and I sit under a vent, so I use a space heater), but outdoors is something else.

When it's cold you can always find a way to get warm. You can snuggle with your SO, for example, where as in summer I'm likely to slug anyone for touching me - get your damn body heat away from here! And you can only remove so much clothing before you risk arrest.

i am a HUGE hater of summer. i do love it at the same time. it's just this humid air that blows chunks. i go between coasts all year long but when i'm on the east coast i just want to kill myself in the summer. you can't go wrong with fall. it's the best time of year. if i had a choice of 101 with dew point of 74 percent or 0 degrees i choose the 0 degrees. i can always dress to keep warm. when it's so hot i can only take so many clothes off. think i was built for colder climates. my wish will come true in about a decade. mini ice age on the way due to no more sun spots. that's what they say. will have to wait and see. very short summers coming right up. lots of snow for all. to bad food crops will go to shit. so a half the people on the planet or more will die off. it's a fun planet. Edited by shail

Oh, and let's not forget another joyous aspect of summer: swamp ass.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jun 21 2011, 04:38 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 21 2011, 04:32 PM)

I grew up here and I hate summer.  Once upon a time it at least had the marginally redemptive feature of meaning time off from school.  Then I grew up and got a job and my hatred of summer increased exponentially.

The oppressive heat.  The wet steamy air.  The bugs.  Coming back in from a short trip outdoors and needing a shower because not only are you gross and sweaty, but greasy as well thanks to the layer of Deep Woods Off that is de rigeur for anyone wanting to avoid exsanguination by mosquito. 

This year we have the bonus feature of the neighborhood kids and their basketball net out in our cul de sac.  It's too hot for them to play during the day, so from about 7pm on until late into the night it's bounce, bounce, bounce, freaking bounce.  Because of course, they don't have to get up for school.

Oh, I bet it's not as bad as 113-117 degree weather and humidity and giant mosquitoes tongue.gif

I live in the 12th hottest city in the world.

Which city? I know it's in the great state of Texas...

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 21 2011, 07:08 PM)
may i offer the following solution to any warm-sensitive people here:

http://www.mustknowhow.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/00000103554-FriedrichAirConditionerRS12L10-large.jpeg.jpg

wink.gif

I have one. I also have an attic full of insulation.

Neither one does f**k-all as far as cooling off the outdoors, however.

Mara I'm with you and I live in Colorado, Summer heat Sucks!!!! I melt when it gets to be a 100, much over 85 I don't like and I live in the dry heat of the Southwest.. Today I'm in Southern California and MELTING!!!

Here is my fav saying today.. "Can you believe it is the longest day of the year? It is all down hill now into Winter!!! Right thru the Dog Days of Summer... Come on Winter!!!

and you know the "Summer sun leaves me as one that can only taste WINTER!!" old.gif

trink39.gif

Skully

P.S. Here is a link to some winter summer pics in Idaho, help cool you off some. biggrin.gif

Welcome to Summer????

Edited by TullSkull

Summer..??? O.k, so it isn't officially summer yet here in UK.. still (late) spring. We've just passed the summer solstice and in all fairness, it should be a bit bloody warmer than what it is just now. The online weather forecast for this corner of the UK states that it's gonna feel like -4 overnight, friday.. brrrrrr.

Ugh, same here. Summer in arizona sucks, and No, people on the east coast it doesn't help that its a dry heat. I grew up here, but I'm from Ohio and have spent a lot of summers in florida, so I have compared them.

As others have pointed out, you can only take off so much without getting arrested, and taking off clothes is just asking for sun burn anyway. Plus this is when the cockroaches, mosquitoes, crickets, scorpions and black widows invade the house.

Been beautiful here...only a few days above 90, today was in the 80's. The nights still get chilly. I figure a nice summer is just what the doctor ordered after last winter - I've lived here all my life and never seen the weather get to people the way it did (the economic situation in combo is probably a factor). People got scary mean after six months of unrelenting snow, cold, and complete lack of sunshine (I forgot what it looked like). Surprised more people didn't go psycho!

People here are starting to complain about the heat to make small talk, then you can see them remember last winter, shudder, and get quiet tongue.gif

We've only had a couple of really hot days, and it was a long, cold winter up here!

I have not yet begun to warm up enough to endure another one!

It also appears to be monsoon season up here again. We've been getting

torrential rains all day.

Bring on the sun. 653.gif