The Official Mike Portnoy Thread

Tick

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 14 2011, 01:56 PM)
Thanks for the hijack...friends. eyesre4.gif

This is a thread for Mikes solo projects. Its not a playbround for bashing Mike.
Seriously... who gives a shit if his vocals were bad? He is a great drummer, and he didn't sing all that much.

This is not a politically-correct forum, why should posts stay on topic? Don't start all that on-topic bullshit!

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 16 2011, 08:49 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Jun 14 2011, 01:56 PM)
Thanks for the hijack...friends. eyesre4.gif

This is a thread for Mikes solo projects. Its not a playbround for bashing Mike.
Seriously... who gives a shit if his vocals were bad? He is a great drummer, and he didn't sing all that much.

This is not a politically-correct forum, why should posts stay on topic? Don't start all that on-topic bullshit!

Going completely off topic has nothing to do with political correctness Tony?

adj. (Abbr. PC)

1. Of, relating to, or supporting broad social, political, and educational change, especially to redress historical injustices in matters such as race, class, gender, and sexual orientation.

2. Being or perceived as being overconcerned with such change, often to the exclusion of other matters.

Now that your clear on that, do you have another point?

atickhum.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 16 2011, 08:51 AM)
I think the name makes them sound like ghey spazzes. It's so lame and retarded.

So, you used "retarded" to illustrate a point?

Remember that when something is retarded if doesn't have to be mentally, just as when something is gay, it doesn't have to mean homosexual.

So all is good in happy land now?

QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 16 2011, 09:43 AM)
anyways....

here is the guitarist for the AM project ripping it in the studio. Mike Orlando.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS_wdB0SS14

Saw that on Facebook. Pretty darn good. Wish I could make the show.

Damn work!

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 16 2011, 08:49 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 16 2011, 09:43 AM)
anyways....

here is the guitarist for the AM project ripping it in the studio. Mike Orlando.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS_wdB0SS14

Saw that on Facebook. Pretty darn good. Wish I could make the show.

Damn work!

yeah for $10 I would go. they said they are going play some covers. i wonder if they will play DT songs? tongue.gif

if this a one time gig then my bet is they will film it.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jun 16 2011, 09:46 AM)
It's more along the lines of, say, ROB ZOMBIE, GODSMACK, DISTURBED, BLACK LABEL SOCIETY, SHINEDOWN

Not exactly reeling me in with that description.

yeah, i don't care for any of those bands.

QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 16 2011, 10:30 AM)
QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jun 16 2011, 09:46 AM)
It's more along the lines of, say, ROB ZOMBIE, GODSMACK, DISTURBED, BLACK LABEL SOCIETY, SHINEDOWN

Not exactly reeling me in with that description.

yeah, i don't care for any of those bands.

I don't think any of those bands are like the one mentioned before it. Disturbed and Shinedown...I don't listen to. Don't listen to Godsmack. BLS and Zombie I like, but they're very different from each other.

Yeah, I don't know how all those parts fit together.

Is Mike just taking on every and any project out there to show he's got lots of lines in the water? I'm not saying this won't be good, but if it's not...and the Morse/Morse thing isn't...then did a bunch of stuff just get thrown together for the sake of having a project?

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 14 2011, 01:37 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 14 2011, 01:03 AM)
As it seems this thread is sinking faster than the R.M.S. Titanic, I must say a few things about the great Mike Portnoy.

Sure he is a great drummer.  I would never "hate" on that however I think it's a blessing in disguise for Dream Theater.  No more annoying back up or duet cookie monster vocals on that lame ass swinging microphone stand that hovers over the drum set like a fishing pole baited for a Big Mouth Bass.  LOL!

Dream Theater just got an upgrade in that department.  The new Mike will just focus on drumming and I bet he won't look like a spitting camel either.

I am sure Mike will flourish in "The Long Run" with his many upcoming projects, I just hope he focuses on the skins and not on his weak wicked wind pipes.

Signed,

THE EAGLES  schla03.gif

Yeah Portnoy's vocals are a joke, I don't why he ever thought he could do that...

My guess is "we need harmonies. f**k it. I'll do it if no one else will!" I think he figured "something is better than nothing. That's all. (and whether you like or dislike at least he had the balls to try to help.

Edited by tick

Next time i will just say, the name Sucks laugh.gif Out of all the bands they compare themselfs too, i only like B.L.S. so we will see

Band names are overrated. As long as the music is great, I really don't care what there called all that much.

Yeah, the Name's a bit cheezy.... but like Tick said, if the Music is good it doesn't matter..

Though on the other hand Mike has 2 more opportunities to get new band name's right.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 19 2011, 09:37 AM)
Yeah, the Name's a bit cheezy.... but like Tick said, if the Music is good it doesn't matter..

Though on the other hand Mike has 2 more opportunities to get new band name's right.

What's this third band, I've seen no info about that yet?

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 19 2011, 09:15 AM)
Band names are overrated. As long as the music is great, I really don't care what there called all that much.

I totally disagree. In MOST cases band names are indicative of what you're going to get. Now, before you fire up all of your exceptions to the rule please note that I said MOST!

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 19 2011, 01:00 PM)

This is from Mike on his forum

Well..like anything, this kind of hype really all depends on your taste...

I mean, to some people Transatlantic is the "ultimate supergroup"...while to others it's like "eh, who???"....

So....while yes, I am indeed VERY pumped on the potential of this new band that I will start recording with next month...and it will surely be very exciting for certain people who love a certain genre (as was the case with this DJ that reported it...who obviously "gets it"), just remember not to build your hopes up TOO much...
(although I do know this lineup is gonna KILL!)

I will also say that this band falls more into the catagory of "classic hard rock" (ala Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, early Ozzy, etc...)

Also, to squash any more rumours - it's not with anybody from the 60's/70's era of musicians (so no McCartney's, Gilmour's or May's as is being mentioned here...)

I will start giving more info next month when we begin...
MP

PS - stay tuned for more info soon on the MMPLM and PAOD projects as well...both albums will have release info coming very soon (as well as the band names!!)

He mentions this project and in addition to the ones mentioned in the P.S MMPLM being the Morse/Morse/Portnoy and the PAOD the Portnoy/Allen/Orlando projects... what Mike is talking about in the main body of this post, as well as one of his previous posts is in reference to a third yet unnamed project with unnamed participants (other than Portnoy)

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 19 2011, 07:40 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 19 2011, 01:00 PM)

This is from Mike on his forum

Well..like anything, this kind of hype really all depends on your taste...

I mean, to some people Transatlantic is the "ultimate supergroup"...while to others it's like "eh, who???"....

So....while yes, I am indeed VERY pumped on the potential of this new band that I will start recording with next month...and it will surely be very exciting for certain people who love a certain genre (as was the case with this DJ that reported it...who obviously "gets it"), just remember not to build your hopes up TOO much...
(although I do know this lineup is gonna KILL!)

I will also say that this band falls more into the catagory of "classic hard rock" (ala Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, early Ozzy, etc...)

Also, to squash any more rumours - it's not with anybody from the 60's/70's era of musicians (so no McCartney's, Gilmour's or May's as is being mentioned here...)

I will start giving more info next month when we begin...
MP

PS - stay tuned for more info soon on the MMPLM and PAOD projects as well...both albums will have release info coming very soon (as well as the band names!!)

He mentions this project and in addition to the ones mentioned in the P.S MMPLM being the Morse/Morse/Portnoy and the PAOD the Portnoy/Allen/Orlando projects... what Mike is talking about in the main body of this post, as well as one of his previous posts is in reference to a third yet unnamed project with unnamed participants (other than Portnoy)

This is what I thought the big announcement was gonna be about...

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 18 2011, 02:45 PM)
Next time i will just say, the name Sucks laugh.gif Out of all the bands they compare themselfs too, i only like B.L.S. so we will see

This.

I can't stand any of those neu metal band posers.

It figures that Captain Bluebeard wants to go down that route. Probably thanks to his Epic Fail time in AV7.

I would rather be "Sailing The Seas Of Cheese" than waste a dime on this upcoming shit.

PRIMUS SUCKS

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 20 2011, 01:28 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 18 2011, 02:45 PM)
Next time i will just say, the name Sucks laugh.gif  Out of all the bands they compare themselfs too, i only like B.L.S. so we will see

This.

I can't stand any of those neu metal band posers.

It figures that Captain Bluebeard wants to go down that route. Probably thanks to his Epic Fail time in AV7.

I would rather be "Sailing The Seas Of Cheese" than waste a dime on this upcoming shit.

PRIMUS SUCKS

I'm so glad AV7 gave him the boot! laugh.gif common001.gif