What does everyone think of Hold Your Fire?

cygnus_thegodofbalance

To me it's a bit like "Roll the Bones", in that I only really like about half the album, but the half I like is just absolutely killer. "Time Stand Still", "Mission", "Force Ten", "Prime Mover", and "Turn the Page" are really awesome, classic Rush moments. But the rest of the record leaves me a little cold, especially "Tai Shan" and "Lock and Key", which to me are real stinkers.

The good half is sooooo good, however...

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hold Your Fire doesn't do much for me. It's not horrible but it's my least favorite of the 4 synth albums from the 80s. I completely agree with those that say Open Secrets is one of their most underrated songs. I love that song. I also like Lock and Key and Turn the Page and that's about it. Force Ten and Time Stand Still are ok, but overrated. On most other albums they'd be considered among the weaker tracks. The rest of the album I pretty much skip, though I don't think High Water is as bad as many say.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jun 14 2011, 10:23 PM)
Tai Shan is probably their worst song ever.

Ever.

Summed up perfectly in a review that I read a while ago: "Chockful of stale cliches ('there was magic in the air, the clouds surrounded the summit, the wild blew cold and strong...'), trying to communicate something really deep but failing, it is the typical reaction of an ecstatic, but dumb geek tourist. 'China? Uh-huh, man, China, like, means mountains, summits, clouds, landscapes, uh, temples, uh, like, forty centuries, wow, man, that's cool!'"

QUOTE (Torgo @ Jun 14 2011, 08:47 PM)
"Lock and Key", which to me are real stinkers.

cool10.gif Lock and Key is not only the best song on a real shit album , it also has Neils best drumming on said shitty song pokey.gif

Edited by metaldad

QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Jun 14 2011, 07:06 PM)
Gets my vote for worst Rush album.

Right after RTB wink.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 15 2011, 11:23 AM)
QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Jun 14 2011, 07:06 PM)
Gets my vote for worst Rush album.

Right after RTB wink.gif

You mean VT?

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 15 2011, 11:22 AM)

cool10.gif Lock and Key is not only the best song on a real shit album , it also has Neils best drumming on said shitty song pokey.gif

I'm not positive, and I may be misreading you, but I kinda get the feeling you don't like this album. http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/39.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Jun 15 2011, 11:02 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 15 2011, 11:22 AM)

I'm not positive, and I may be misreading you, but I kinda get the feeling you don't like this album. http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/39.gif laugh.gif

laugh.gif I knew you were a smart guy the sec we met trink39.gif

An Archie Bunker like raspberry from me. Like most have said, a couple of 'okay's' in the bunch, but overall it seems like a waste from such a talented trio. They're vastly over-qualified for this type of music, imo.

I will take that cheese, extra stinky!

I love HYF. And I love most of the lyrics, though Tai Shan is...not good.

Prime Mover is a powerful lyric for me and I think is very representative of Neil's long range view on life and travel.

Come to think of it--I think this album's lyrics are most representative of 'the way Neil thinks.'

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jun 15 2011, 12:23 AM)

Ever.

Couldn't agree more. A great album that was could have been much better w/o the last 2 songs.

And, no, I don't believe that Rush's worse songs are better than everyone else's best because there are 1000's of better songs than Tai Shan. Can't stand it.

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Jun 14 2011, 09:57 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jun 14 2011, 10:23 PM)

Ever.

Summed up perfectly in a review that I read a while ago: "Chockful of stale cliches ('there was magic in the air, the clouds surrounded the summit, the wild blew cold and strong...'), trying to communicate something really deep but failing, it is the typical reaction of an ecstatic, but dumb geek tourist. 'China? Uh-huh, man, China, like, means mountains, summits, clouds, landscapes, uh, temples, uh, like, forty centuries, wow, man, that's cool!'"

Hey, if I cared what reviewers/critics thought, I wouldn't be listening to 2.gif in the first place tongue.gif

It has become such a huge Rush fan cliche to bash Tai Shan and High Water.

Really it's just so old already.

But like all music. Totally subjective. And anyone who argues about it is insane.

I will never try to convince someone those songs are good or great. All that matters is if you like them.

Me.....I enjoy Tai Shan and I really like High Water.

And again Hold Your Fire is a great Rush album.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 15 2011, 11:09 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jun 15 2011, 12:23 AM)

Ever.

Couldn't agree more. A great album that was could have been much better w/o the last 2 songs.

By the time Tai Shan rolled around, the album was already sunk anyway, so the last 2 tracks really made no difference at that point to me.

And re: Tai Shan......I can give that song a B- for being creatively different at least.

Edited by Rush Cocky

It's . . .not bad, I guess?

There are bits that don't feel at all like Rush (er, "Tai Shanb" just does not work, and unlike "red lenses" it's not even that interesting a misfire) but the rest is competent enough.

I do like "Open Secrets," and "Force Ten" is one of my favourite Rush songs ever, though.

The rest? I like "Time Stand Still," "Lock and Key," and "Turn The Page" well enough, but the rest kinda blend into the background for me.