6 Albums That Changed Your Life

Tick

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many of the albums listed in this thread have been so influential in my life.

Kansas - "Two For The Show" should have made my list

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 5 2011, 07:30 PM)
So many of the albums listed in this thread have been so influential in my life.

Kansas - "Two For The Show" should have made my list

It was "The Point Of Know Return" for me.

Good thread.

Giving reasons would be a bit much of effort, and the albums that changed my life are the same as those that represent it in ways... There's a lot of categories these albums could fall under for me, but here they are:

In order:

Coheed and Cambria - Live at the Starland Ballroom (~2005)

Sonata Arctica - Winterheart's Guild (~2007)

Dream Theater - Metropolis pt 2: Scenes From a Memory (~2008)

Rush - many albums, but I'd say at the top is: Grace Under Pressure (~2008)

Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline (~2009)

Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans (~2010)

Most recently, is hard to say.. Because there are many candidates and not enough time has passed to determine the one.. So, here are the candidates:

(~2011):

Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism

Electric Light Orchestra - Out of the Blue (far from my favorite album of theirs though)

King's X - Gretchen Goes to Nebraska

^ Those three are all thanks to TRFers cat.gif

in sorta chronological order

Marvel's Spider Man with Dr Strange fights the King Pin - Pretty sure its either Ditko or Romita early 70's artwork too

but as fer band specifically

Kiss- Destroyer

Black Sabbath- Vol 4

RUSH - Hemispheres

Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans

Iron Maiden - Killers

Slayer - Hell Awaits

Sgt. Pepper

Kiss Alive 1

Van Halen ll

Permanent Waves

Songs In The Key Of Life

The Wall

Just want to say thanks to wcfields and Kenneth in regards to rinsing about kings x. Got a box of around 200 cassettes, many of which are well past there prime condition wise and in amongst them is that album and "faith hope love". Another amazon order for replacement cds coming up. I saw kings x support ac/dc a long time ago and they were awesome.

Great thread.

Edited by Gilby

Led Zeppelin II

Aqualung

The Doors

Black Sabbath

The Yes Album

Love It To Death (Alice Cooper)

These are the ones that I remember as hearing the earliest at about the ages of 10-11 that hit me the hardest and drew me in to the wonderful world of music.

Edited by Silas Lang

QUOTE (tel @ Jun 5 2011, 01:24 PM)
made in japan....deep purple

let there be rock ...ac/dc

space ritual....hawkwind

farewell to kings.....that canadian lot.

trick of the tail.....genesis

oh erm, six you said ?........(6) neil young,harvest. cool.gif

QUOTE (Gilby @ Jun 5 2011, 04:42 PM)
Strangitude by Ozric Tentacles - been a fan for about twenty years, struggled with the last few albums but this is one of the best they did IMO.

yes.gif I probably should of included an Ozrics disc ( probably arboresence as it was my first) instead of my steve vai selection but even Ed would be the first to tell you that Vai is the man.

6 is too few for an old fart like me.

The most recent disc to change my life is Colors by Betweeen The Buried and Me.

1022.gif

Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill

Moving Pictures

Kiss - Alive

Shooting Star - Hang on For Your Life

Hemispheres

Fleetwood Mac - Rumors

QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 6 2011, 11:56 AM)
Strangitude by Ozric Tentacles - been a fan for about twenty years, struggled with the last few albums but this is one of the best they did IMO.

yes.gif I probably should of included an Ozrics disc ( probably arboresence as it was my first) instead of my steve vai selection but even Ed would be the first to tell you that Vai is the man.

1022.gif

Arboresence is a great album, just glad someone has also mentioned the Ozrics. Apparently, Satriani is a fan cool.gif

QUOTE (Gilby @ Jun 6 2011, 12:29 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 6 2011, 11:56 AM)

1022.gif

Arboresence is a great album, just glad someone has also mentioned the Ozrics. Apparently, Satriani is a fan cool.gif

Indeed, he is. I guess you have read the interview where Ed talks about Satch and Vai?

^^^ here is what ed said

A master of everything from the Eastern and esoteric through lissom reggae to electrifying fusion-widdle, Ed can, um, play a bit. A fact which Joe Satriani, for one, is well aware of.

'I hadn't a clue that it was going to happen,' boggles Ed. 'They'd asked me if I'd like to see Joe Satriani and I said yeah, 'cos it'd be a guitarist burning up on stage which would be fun to watch. But when I got there, I was immediately ushered backstage and asked whether I had my guitar with me... They'd set up this jam in this dressing room, just me and him and a couple of guitars and all these cameras! And there we were having this weird little jam! It was really hot as well, so I was sweating away feeling very strange indeed. In fact it made me feel strange for about three days!

'Mind you I think Stevie Vai has the edge on him compositionally. It's almost like Joe's trying to play songs without the lyrics, retaining the song form. It's something I'm very keen to break away from myself. Also, I like Vai's sense of humour and his textual guitar sense. I think that he's really mad and I think he's opened the way for really "mad guitar" to be explored. Acrobatic guitar playing I call it.'

http://ozrics.hopto.org/ozrics/g-mag.html

Rush - Fly By Night: That's the album that introduced me to Rush.

Rush - Moving Pictures: That's the album that solidified them as my favorite band.

Bob Mould - Workbook: Introduced me to a new genre of music and the genius that is Bob Mould.

Afghan Whigs - Gentlemen: One of the finest alternative albums ever made...period...and it introduced me to my second favorite band.

Catherine Wheel - Ferment: Just awesome. Further drew me into alt. rock.

Three way tie...

Ministry - Psalm 69 - introduced me to the dark and deviant world of industrial music. ph34r.gif

REM - Lifes Rich Pageant: Introduced me to REM and further down the path of alternative music.

The Smithereens - Green Thoughts: Along with REM and Bob Mould, the Smithereens were one of the bands that shaped my taste in music after I grew tired of the classic rock scene.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 6 2011, 04:04 AM)
Pixies - Doolittle - the college album

Sugar - Copper Blue - the door opener - turned me onto Husker Du and a host of others

Those two could have easily made my list too.

Led Zeppelin II - I got this album when I was 7 and was my early introduction to rock

1975 - Aerosmith "Toys In The Attic" this album rocked my world and they became my favorite band until...

1976 Rush "2112" A friend turned me onto this album shortly after I bought my first bass. Blew me away and taught me the fundamentals I needed to play bass well. Rush then edged out Aerosmith as my favorite band. smile.gif

Judas Priest "Unleashed in the East" started my love affair with Heavy Metal. Have been my #2 band ever since.

Pearl Jam "Ten" saw them live that year and it was a religous experience. Exposed me to the grunge movement.

edited to add Yes "Fragile" which was my introduction to prog.

Edited by Rushman14

Tangy

Cheers for that. I remember Ed being interviewed in guitarist magazine years ago talking about Vai and Satriani. seen the Ozrics many times, think I went to seven shows in one year! Not for a long time now though as I've changed my lifestyle somewhat since those heady days cool10.gif

Edited by Gilby

QUOTE (Gilby @ Jun 6 2011, 01:35 PM)
Tangy
Cheers for that. I remember Ed being interviewed in guitarist magazine years ago talking about Vai and Satriani. seen the Ozrics many times, think I went to seven shows in one year! Not for a long time now though as I've changed my lifestyle somewhat since those heady days cool10.gif

trink39.gif I imagine you saw some amazing shows!

QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 6 2011, 01:42 PM)
QUOTE (Gilby @ Jun 6 2011, 01:35 PM)
Tangy
Cheers for that. I remember Ed being interviewed in guitarist magazine years ago talking about Vai and Satriani. seen the Ozrics many times, think I went to seven shows in one year! Not for a long time now though as I've changed my lifestyle somewhat since those heady days  cool10.gif

trink39.gif I imagine you saw some amazing shows!

Tbh, some I don't remember very well ! The " pongmasters ball" were great parties though. 6pm to 6 am for new years eve'.

(sorry for hijacking folks) sad.gif

I could rattle off a decent list here but really it'd just be a list of my favorite albums...

there is only ONE album that truely changed my life. when I was about 6 my big brother brought home Deep Purple's MACHINE HEAD! holy f**k man was I hooked. I listened to Lazy and Space Truckin every day on his old record player when he wasn't around!

I swear I went from sesame street to rock and roll in one freakin afternoon lol.

In no particular order...

Rush - 2112

Rush - ATWAS

I was lent these two simultaneously while at school - music was NEVER the same after that.

Jan Garbarek - All Those Born With Wings

Henryk Gorecki - Symphony No3

Ralph Vaughan Williams - Fantasia on a theme of Thomas Tallis

John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola, Paco De Lucia - Friday Night in San Francisco

Do you mind if I go over 6 ?...

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Requiem

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Jethro Tull - Heavy Horses

Rammstein - Links-2-3-4 (a song, not an album)

Luciano Pavarotti - Greatest Hits

Dmitri Shostakovich - Symphony No7

Gregorio Allegri - Miserere

Led Zep - III & Physical Graffiti

Django Reinhardt - Appel Direct

Loreena McKennitt - The Book of Secrets

Hodie - An English Christmas Collection

The Stranglers - Black & White

Radio 3 - Late Junction (OK, I admit it, it's a radio programme!)

I think I better stop there !!!!!!

Edited by HorsemanOfTheApocalypse