Ever been almost killed

Good,bad,andrush

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 15 2011, 09:46 PM)
Today some asshole ran a stop sign and it was raining and I had to swerve to drive out of the way. I almost drove into some puddle and would've hit a giant lamppost, but luckily I gained control.

OH SHI'T MAN, that was you? Sorry ph34r.gif

QUOTE (Alex @ May 15 2011, 10:16 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 15 2011, 09:46 PM)
Today some asshole ran a stop sign and it was raining and I had to swerve to drive out of the way. I almost drove into some puddle and would've hit a giant lamppost, but luckily I gained control.

OH SHI'T MAN, that was you? Sorry ph34r.gif

laugh.gif

I doubt you live anywhere near me tongue.gif

Edited by Good,bad,andrush

Two separate occasions involving ice.

1. When i was in third grade, i went sledding after school with a friend, and i went off of a high ramp and landed on my head. I woke up in the hospital and i remember throwing up everywhere and things we're just a mess. I could have been severely injured, but walked off with a concussion.

2. January 11, 2011, I was driving home from school and my brother was in the passenger seat, and i lost control on a somewhat icy/slushy road going about 20 mph and rolled into a 10 ft drop off near the entrance of a creek. We landed on my side and had to climb up through a broken window. It was the scariest moment of my life! I remember my life flashing before my eyes and images of the people i cared about flashed through my eyes as i tried to get the seatbelt off of me. In the hospital my mom showed me some pictures of the car and she said that a small branch was keeping the car from rolling another 5 ft and actually falling into the creek. Anyway here is the destruction i caused. Took out a sign to i believe.

http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af239/KingWhompus/XTERRA.jpg

EDIT: F*CK ICE!

Edited by King Whompus

Yup...twice. Life didn't flash before my eyes, though. (However, time did seem to slow down. It was surreal.)

Yes. I live in upstate New York and there are a bunch of people who don't know how to drive when its icy. 70 in a 55 zone during the winter is recockulous and once or twice I have encountered these morons and thankfully walked away with my life.

QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ May 16 2011, 02:35 PM)
Yes. All the f***ing time.

Occupational hazard. laugh.gif

I once hit a tree with my snowmobile. We were flying across a lake at night, and I didn't know that we were coming to a channel that connected to another lake. Long story short, I was staring at a line of trees, and I aimed for the smallest one. I blacked out and came to on the other lake, my sled a steaming wreck, and a Christmas tree sized evergreen laying next to it. The tree was snapped off at the base of the trunk. I had some good scratches on my helmet, and my knee was a little banged up. I'm fairly confident that if my snowmobile hadn't of knocked the tree down, I may not be hear right now.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ May 16 2011, 04:39 PM)

Not only that, but he signed up for that! laugh.gif

December 3rd, 1979.

Riverfront Coliseum, Cincinnati, Ohio

The Who in concert.

I was one of the lucky ones. I was smashed against the side of the building - about thirty feet away from the two entry doors. Almost 18,000 people trying to get thru those TWO doors.

The crowd was ocean-like. Waves of pushing and shoving sent people down to the ground, never to get back up again. I was lucky enough to be able to brace myself against the building wall when the pressure wave would come at me. Those in the middle of the crowd were not as lucky. Some would get swallowed up by the tidal waves and go down...and suffocate to death. ELEVEN to be exact.

A girl found herself sandwiched between me and the wall, and then a huge wave of pressure came at us. I managed to put both hands fully against the wall, with the girl between them, and I stiff-armed with all my strength to keep the wave from smashing me against the girl. At times I was smashed up against glass doors (my face was literally squished against the glass), and while stuck there, I saw a guy inside, with blood running down his face, BEGGING a police officer to do something about the chaos outside. The police officer just stood there....completely indifferent.

After a good 30-45 minutes of struggling to move, I finally got inside. I had lost track of my buddy long before that, so I was on my own. People were on the floor, unconscious, with coliseum personnel trying to revive them. Like most people, I was unaware of the actual carnage, so I went in the the arena and enoyed the concert (SRO, of course....the place was freekin packed).

After the show, I managed to find my buddy, and we walked home. When I walked in the house, my family jumped out of their chairs and told me everything that had happened. Ma and Pa were NOT happy.....

The weight of the event didn't sink in until later. It took me a while to realize just how close to death I had come.... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

I was 14 years old when I took this photograph while being on the WRONG SIDE of the bridge.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll215/TPesch2112/img158.jpg

I had no time to get off the bridge, the end of it was about 50 yards away and I didn't want to try to hurry and fall, so I had to stay right where I was.

I had about three feet MAX behind my ass and that train doing about 60 mph. RIGHT BEHIND ME!!

I grabbed onto the top of the bridge and held on for dear life. I could feel the 'pull' from the train and if I didn't have anything to grab onto it could have been a very messy wind driven snow.

The train wasn't that long but it seemed like it lasted a lifetime. I will never forget that.

I was trying to get a cool winter train photo and didn't know which side of the two track main it was on. I heard it coming and looked at the two tracks and decided that it would be on the far side. I was wrong.

I should have just got off the damn bridge when I heard it.

I had no idea that it was hauling as fast as it was until it was a few seconds before I shot the pic. Then I freaked out because it got so huge , so fast and was right on top of me in seconds.

I'm sure the crew on the lead unit were thrilled.

I was watching the final round of the Masters and when she told me to take out the garbage I told my wife to take out the f***ing garbage your own bitchy self.

I cant really say what happened next but I woke up in the street with the lawn mower on my head and she was trying to crank it up.

Not really.. laugh.gif

One time that comes to mind.

I was little, about five and was riding my Big Wheels up and down our street. A neighbor kid and I got into this race and were having so much fun chasing each other that I didn't think anything of it to dart across the street behind him. The next thing I remember is hearing screeching tires and my mom and the driver of the car screaming at the top of their lungs. I froze right in the middle of the street, turned my head right and saw a car grill inches away from my face.

Was driving a Toyota Corolla when I was 19. Had to go over a RR crossing every day to get to work. That week the crossing arms had been malfuctioning. They would come down and no train would pass and then after about 5-10 min. they would come back up. This day they did the same thing. Still, I looked both ways, didn't see a train, so I decided not to wait and drive between them. Bout the time I got half way over the tracks, BAAMMM! Sucker nearly T-boned me! A second earlier and it would have. Still can't believe I didn't see it. How do you Not see a freakin train! confused13.gif

Very fortunately, hit me at the rear wheel and spun me off the track.

Did break the tire clean off the axle and rammed one of the crossing arms thru my rear windshield.

Later that week I was at another RR crossing and the arms came down but no train came. But did I try that again? unsure.gif Uh , hell no. Waited about 10min. and they came back up. wink.gif

On another occassion, I had a .22 pistol. Long story short, I was in my living room. The pistol was in it's holster. I tossed it ( dazed025.gif ) onto my couch about 6 ft away. It bounced off the couch onto the floor and landed just right on the hammer and went off.

The next day I found the bullet hole in the ceiling. Got a string out and pulled it tight from where the gun had landed and the hole in the ceiling.

Where I was standing it had passed right by my head. scared.gif

Great topic! It is amazing if you make it to the age of 50. It seems many of these stories happened when people were young. Quite a few I grew up with did not make it to age 18.

Not a near death experience but it is the first time I thought I might die.

I was in first grade walking to school, a hint at how old I am, with my buddy. We were going down an alley, the weeds were higher than us for the most part. Suddenly we here a roar of a noise and a HUGE vehicle is rumbling toward us spewing smoke. We hid in the weeds by a fence, my whole body was trembling. that monster kept coming, and as it passed it spewed the vapor all over us. The mosquito spray enveloped us. I thought we had been poisoned, thinking back on it was probably DDT.

reminds me of a song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6EkxWNwRgU

Will post a more serious encounter later.

I have been hit by a Bronco and later by a Semi.

With the Bronco, the driver ran a stop sign. Total loss of my mom's minivan. Mother and I walked away unscathed.

With the semi, my car was drivable and fixed. Again, nobody got injured. Semi driver got a ticket for driving too fast.

QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ May 18 2011, 07:29 AM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ May 16 2011, 03:39 PM)

You're tellin me, I'm just in it for the free food!

You like MREs? huh.gif

laugh.gif

Where I work, we use a "manlift"....

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/face/images/04ok058b.jpg

Everytime I get on it, there is always that one chance of someone starting it up - right when I'm about to step on it - and causing me to plummet 100 feet down the chute..... angry.gif