Is Rush physically past it's prime??

mlc

I think Neil has plenty left in the tank. His skills seem very sharp and at times he explodes with the excellence we have been so enamored with over the decades. The question of is he physically past his prime? Yes he is, but his exceptional skill and drive to perfectly play each part is keeping him at the top of his game.

In his writings and interviews over the years he talks about the biking and cross country skiing he did to stay in shape and fufill his inner explorer. Now that he has a new wife and a child it is obvious he is staying at home and not getting out for exercise except when they tour.

While riding a motorcycle can be physically draining it will not turn you into a lean, athletic man.

I say give him a break, he has earned it. Hopefully he has 2 -3 years left in him...1 more new album and 1 more awesome farewell tour!

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (King Whompus @ May 8 2011, 07:30 PM)
He may not be as best as he was, but keep in mind; Neil today is still WAY better than any of the younger drummers nowadays.

Quite a bold statement. Should I even go there?

QUOTE (oldphilly @ May 9 2011, 09:50 PM)
He may not be as best as he was, but keep in mind; Neil today is still WAY better than any of the younger drummers nowadays.

Go For It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You'd get so much WIN and whomp that whompus with FAIL!!!!!!!!!!

Of course they're physically past their prime, hence slowing tempos and padding out the show with videos.

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ May 9 2011, 06:15 PM)

Go For It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course they're physically past their prime, hence slowing tempos and padding out the show with videos.

The tempos were definitely slower on the S&A tour -- slow enough that certain songs just draaaaged. But from the several clips I heard from the recent tour, they seem to have picked the tempos back up again.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 9 2011, 10:18 PM)
QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ May 9 2011, 06:15 PM)

Go For It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The tempos were definitely slower on the S&A tour -- slow enough that certain songs just draaaaged. But from the several clips I heard from the recent tour, they seem to have picked the tempos back up again.

I'll find out soon enough. Maybe by cuttingback on the plying time a bit they can keep it up longer - ooohhh matron!

I think you need to listen some other drummers . That is just silly

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 9 2011, 05:48 PM)

Exactly my point.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 8 2011, 06:56 PM)
I dunno. When I saw them at MSG I thought Neil Peart played aggressively and energetically. He was as good as when I first saw him 30 or so years ago.
He does seem to have a little pot belly, though...

I was there, anddd...

I agree completely. Love 4 Sale was as intense as I've ever seen him play.

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 9 2011, 05:48 PM)

Seconded.

There are tons of really talented drummers out there, some just a few years older than me. Granted, most of them play jazz and are thus not in the mainstream, but to deny that they're there..

(However I would say there haven't been any modern rock drummers that have blown me away like Neil has. Not even close. But to be a good rock drummer is maybe harder than being a good jazz drummer -- it has to be written just so.)

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ May 8 2011, 07:03 PM)
How would three guys who are pushing 60 not be physically past their prime?

My first thought. I'm pretty sure they past their prime decades ago.

As far as musically, they were obviously at their best in the early 80s. Most who saw them at that time would agree. My stepdad has been to every tour since Hemispheres, and he's still certain that the early 80s were when they were at their best.

After that you could catch mistakes here and there more often, and there are a hell of a lot of them on the recent DVDs, and Geddy's voice started taking a serious nose dive in the late 80s.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ May 10 2011, 07:25 PM)
QUOTE (StellarJetman @ May 8 2011, 07:03 PM)
How would three guys who are pushing 60 not be physically past their prime?

My first thought. I'm pretty sure they past their prime decades ago.

As far as musically, they were obviously at their best in the early 80s. Most who saw them at that time would agree. My stepdad has been to every tour since Hemispheres, and he's still certain that the early 80s were when they were at their best.

After that you could catch mistakes here and there more often, and there are a hell of a lot of them on the recent DVDs, and Geddy's voice started taking a serious nose dive in the late 80s.

I'd say early 90's. His intonation problems occur around Presto and RTB, If you listen to 'Vital Dreams' listen to The Trees. Ugh, pretty cringeworthy.

Same for Tom Sawer, except he's not even ON KEY.

QUOTE (sleepy face @ May 8 2011, 08:50 PM)
Sometimes he looks like sleep drumming... sad.gif

Excuse me wtf.gif

QUOTE (kooma @ May 11 2011, 03:55 AM)

Excuse me wtf.gif

If you look at the S&A live cd sleeve there's a picture of him where he looks almost asleep(sorry I don't have link to the album sleeve)Sorry to say that looks like a man who has lost the "fire"for his passion sad.gif

QUOTE (sleepy face @ May 11 2011, 08:38 AM)

Excuse me wtf.gif

If you look at the S&A live cd sleeve there's a picture of him where he looks almost asleep(sorry I don't have link to the album sleeve)Sorry to say that looks like a man who has lost the "fire"for his passion sad.gif

Hence your username, right? Is that why you joined here, to make jokes about Neil looking "sleepy?"

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 11 2011, 09:18 AM)
QUOTE (sleepy face @ May 11 2011, 08:38 AM)

Excuse me wtf.gif

Hence your username, right? Is that why you joined here, to make jokes about Neil looking "sleepy?"

doh.gif Sorry,I didnt mean to come across as an a@@hole.Its not my intention to poke fun at Neil,as a (drumless)drummer myself,Neil is my biggest influence and favorite drummer...guess it's too easy nowadays to jump on the Neil bashers bandwagon!BTW,sleepy face is my nickname for my daughter.Cheers!