Troll-Like Behavior

rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 1 2011, 11:25 AM)
QUOTE (garbo @ May 1 2011, 09:23 AM)
As some said earlier, I would agree attention and getting a rise out of people.  Since the internet, and technology in general, is an emotionless device, it's pretty easy to post things that are spelled incorrectly and have no foundation in grammar and, in general, are geared toward pissing people off.  The ultimate goal then would be for the troll to sit back and watch the shit hit the fan, so to speak, whilst having an easy laugh.  We the viewers have no idea what's going on on the other end since there is no emotional connection; all we see are the results.  This person, whoever he or she may be, could may very well be an incredibly intelligent person for all we know, simply having a laugh at our expense.

Yes, but what do they get out of it? They just enjoy laughing at random people while sitting at home by themselves? Sounds kind of pathetic and sad to me.

Well, considering the fact that one of my roommates spends about twenty hours on the internet (no lie. His parents pay for everything and he doesn't sleep), I actually buy that. I wouldn't have until I met him, but now... anything is possible. There are people out there who enjoy this kind of existence and have no lives. I kid you not. Boy roommate is one of them. And he probably is a troll.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 1 2011, 12:25 PM)
QUOTE (garbo @ May 1 2011, 09:23 AM)
As some said earlier, I would agree attention and getting a rise out of people.  Since the internet, and technology in general, is an emotionless device, it's pretty easy to post things that are spelled incorrectly and have no foundation in grammar and, in general, are geared toward pissing people off.  The ultimate goal then would be for the troll to sit back and watch the shit hit the fan, so to speak, whilst having an easy laugh.  We the viewers have no idea what's going on on the other end since there is no emotional connection; all we see are the results.  This person, whoever he or she may be, could may very well be an incredibly intelligent person for all we know, simply having a laugh at our expense.

Yes, but what do they get out of it? They just enjoy laughing at random people while sitting at home by themselves? Sounds kind of pathetic and sad to me.

The sad truth is that they derive some amusement out of it and find the rage quite funny. I would know, when I got bored during my last few months of high school I would go on Omegle and troll people using a virtual webcam.

I like the idea of egging them on until they're just about to cross some serious line and then ban em laugh.gif Gives them what they want, and entertains us and gives us another entry in our log of troll-tales. I've been here for 3 years and the big troll name's are still remembered by many. I even got to meet a troll! Interesting.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 1 2011, 11:18 AM)
I like the idea of egging them on until they're just about to cross some serious line and then ban em laugh.gif Gives them what they want, and entertains us and gives us another entry in our log of troll-tales. I've been here for 3 years and the big troll name's are still remembered by many. I even got to meet a troll! Interesting.

One particular troll who I became friendly with, who has had more than one incarnation on TRF, I tried warning over and over before the last time they got banned. It's hard to call someone like this a true troll as they actually had a lot of interest in talking sincerely about Rush and other things, but still could and would become very antagonistic. I was telling him - I see you doing this, and if you can keep on this track, then this will happen, then this will happen, etc., and then you'll get banned. He seemed to understand and appreciate the warning, and yet he couldn't help from doing exactly what I said would happen and eventually he got banned. Some people just can't seem to control themselves.

Alas, that is the way of the troll.

I was tempted hard to troll, Forthmember, and while I did (not bringing that up specifically again.) I deduced that it wasn't worth losing my favorite forum over, and decided to just piss off and go to another page.

It works, and I wish more Trolls would do this. Also, not being able to talk for 24 hours is painful.

Learned my lesson.

My wife is getting her Masters degree in Psychology and I have often told her she should do her thesis on this kind of thing; the emotionlessness (not a word I know) of the internet and what it brings out in people. I had one guy totally ream me on here about one of my posts; very personal type stuff...and then he was gone. never seen him on here since. very bizzare! Everyone is entitled to their opinion but to post just to be a jerk...I dont get it. I actually pity people like that.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ May 1 2011, 01:18 PM)
I was tempted hard to troll, Forthmember, and while I did (not bringing that up specifically again.) I deduced that it wasn't worth losing my favorite forum over, and decided to just piss off and go to another page.

It works, and I wish more Trolls would do this. Also, not being able to talk for 24 hours is painful.

Learned my lesson.

Huh? The temptation to troll was just too much, so you had to start doing it??

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 1 2011, 02:22 PM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ May 1 2011, 01:18 PM)

Learned my lesson.

Huh? The temptation to troll was just too much, so you had to start doing it??

rofl3.gif

Well, the guy, was just such easy bait, and it just..........rekindled feelings.

But, I took control of the situation, issued and apology and went on with life.

Like I said, I wish trolls had discipline like this, but they don't. And they probably never will, because they're all 14 year old kids yelling profanities into their XBL headsets.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ May 1 2011, 09:47 AM)
QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ May 1 2011, 10:03 AM)

U R Clueless.

You are = U R

That's a 66% increase in efficiency. Simply awesome.

Work on alternative energy, not bashing "The Grouchy Drummer"... we need your talents elsewhere!

That is soaked in WIN sauce right there!

I mod a forum and when our resident Kranks decide to start trolling I just put up my Don't feed the Troll sign or drop the smiley stirring a cauldron. Folks have finally figured out the turd dries up and doesn't smell if you don't poke it.

I don't like trolls. Counterparts is littered with them and that used to be a good board. I hope it doesn't get like that here. If you say they are not trolls on Counterparts then what are they? Posters who think they are funny but are not? I call every poster that seems like they are starving for attention a troll. LOL

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ May 1 2011, 07:51 AM)
Winding up po-faced, humourless, uncritical, basement dwelling, mom loving fanbois, sure beats pulling the wings off flies or raking the lawn smile.gif

Oh, but then again, I'm not a Troll. I'm that rare thing - a 2.gif fan with a sense of humour. Thanks for that daddy.

Shut yer gob, poof...

QUOTE (The Owl @ May 1 2011, 02:08 PM)
That also gets me to thinking what is the line between "Trolling" and "Flaming"

Trolling: "U GAIZ MOVING PICTURES IS CRAP LOLOLOL"

Flaming: "die in a fire you [expletive] [expletive] i hope you like it in hell you stupid [expletive]"

I like Counterparts.

People there are so grown up, and can accept divergent opinions about Rush.

JPRushHed is my hero, a paragon of tolerance.

QUOTE (rummut71 @ May 1 2011, 08:02 PM)
Winding up po-faced, humourless, uncritical, basement dwelling, mom loving fanbois, sure beats pulling the wings off flies or raking the lawn smile.gif

Oh, but then again, I'm not a Troll. I'm that rare thing - a  2.gif fan with a sense of humour. Thanks for that daddy.

Shut yer gob, poof...

HOMOPHOBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Admins, please ban this intolerant person.

QUOTE (rummut71 @ May 1 2011, 04:02 PM)

Oh, but then again, I'm not a Troll. I'm that rare thing - a  2.gif fan with a sense of humour. Thanks for that daddy.

Shut yer gob, poof...

What he said

Archived