John Mayer

Gompers

Just wanted to pass along that I have really been getting into his music as of late. I like his Continuum CD best. And The JM Trio CD, Try, is also incredible. Good stuff! I would like to hear him do a SRV tribute one day, although it is highly unlikely.

I'm going to commit a sin that I've scolded other people for:

062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

His voice gives me puke shivers.

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 22 2011, 09:12 PM)
I'm going to commit a sin that I've scolded other people for:

062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

His voice gives me puke shivers.

I totally agree. To me, he sounds like he is trying to sound like Dave Matthews. I don't like that 'whiney' voice.

He is a wonderful blues guitar player. I just wish he would stick to that.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 22 2011, 11:57 PM)
He sings that Wonderland song, right? 062802puke_prv.gif

Along with that stupid "Real World" song -

"I wanna run through the halls of my high school". . .bleh, bleh, barf.

Off to purge these atrocities from my brain before they take root there.

I always think of the Dave Matthews Band crowd when i see John Mayer. Good musicians who make music that caters to college kids/soccer moms.

geez, this thread is chock-full of every single type of unwarranted music criticism...blanket generalizations, jumping to criticism without sampling a fair amount of work, basing an artist's entire musical output solely on hits (or one particular hit that is notoriously worse than others), analyses that neglect important elements, and irrelevant comparisons.

i can't force anyone to like anything -- not only would that be impossible, it would also be rather pompous -- but i can provide some samples that oppose the mainstream and may perhaps shed light on elements of his music that you're not yet aware of.

First, give this a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG7ltZ4dg2A

"In Your Atmosphere", a song that I don't believe has ever been recorded in the studio, showcases Mayer's talent as a guitarist -- with the aid of a unique tuning and harmonic overtones, he manages to make a LOT of music with just one acoustic guitar and one voice. In terms of performance and songwriting this is undoubtedly one of his most sincere songs as well. it's a feeling that i'm sure just about everybody can relate with (i don't think i'm gonna go to L.A. any more/I'd get lost on the boulevard at night/without your voice to tell me, "i love you, take a right"/the ten and the two is the loneliest sight)

Perhaps something more blues-y and heavier is more for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP8s61kdPjI

the John Mayer Trio material, such as this song, "Try" (off the album of the same name), is VERY different from anything else he's ever done...it has a funky, almost jazzy edge to it...not only can John Mayer strum out tunes on the acoustic, he knows how to groove on the electric as well.

Finally,

this tune, Assassin, from his most recent album, "battle studies" has a unique feel to it...i'm not sure what i'd classify it as, other than "dark"...one of the most interesting things he's ever done musically.

to conclude, let me say that mayer is a royal douchebag. especially with his most recent escapades, the shit he pulled with taylor swift last year (quite contrary to mayer, a fantastic person who makes horrible music). but this has no bearing on the fact that he's an incredibly talented musician, and when he inflicts heartbreak on himself he has the means to write a damn sincere song about it. for christs sake, the guy was admitted to berklee college of music...clearly he knows what he's doing...

and for christ's sake, "whiny"? i think sometimes he tends to sing like he has a perpetual sore throat, but he's about as far as you can get from whiny...

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Apr 23 2011, 03:32 AM)
geez, this thread is chock-full of every single type of unwarranted music criticism...blanket generalizations, jumping to criticism without sampling a fair amount of work, basing an artist's entire musical output solely on hits (or one particular hit that is notoriously worse than others), analyses that neglect important elements, and irrelevant comparisons.

i can't force anyone to like anything -- not only would that be impossible, it would also be rather pompous -- but i can provide some samples that oppose the mainstream and may perhaps shed light on elements of his music that you're not yet aware of.

"In Your Atmosphere", a song that I don't believe has ever been recorded in the studio, showcases Mayer's talent as a guitarist -- with the aid of a unique tuning and harmonic overtones, he manages to make a LOT of music with just one acoustic guitar and one voice. In terms of performance and songwriting this is undoubtedly one of his most sincere songs as well. it's a feeling that i'm sure just about everybody can relate with (i don't think i'm gonna go to L.A. any more/I'd get lost on the boulevard at night/without your voice to tell me, "i love you, take a right"/the ten and the two is the loneliest sight)

the John Mayer Trio material, such as this song, "Try" (off the album of the same name), is VERY different from anything else he's ever done...it has a funky, almost jazzy edge to it...not only can John Mayer strum out tunes on the acoustic, he knows how to groove on the electric as well.

Finally,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP4cpVzw_Lc
this tune, Assassin, from his most recent album, "battle studies" has a unique feel to it...i'm not sure what i'd classify it as, other than "dark"...one of the most interesting things he's ever done musically.

to conclude, let me say that mayer is a royal douchebag. especially with his most recent escapades, the shit he pulled with taylor swift last year (quite contrary to mayer, a fantastic person who makes horrible music). but this has no bearing on the fact that he's an incredibly talented musician, and when he inflicts heartbreak on himself he has the means to write a damn sincere song about it. for christs sake, the guy was admitted to berklee college of music...clearly he knows what he's doing...

and for christ's sake, "whiny"? i think sometimes he tends to sing like he has a perpetual sore throat, but he's about as far as you can get from whiny...

The Guy can play, no doubt, but sadly, that accoustic piece went sailing right over all the soccer moms heads.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Apr 23 2011, 07:48 AM)

"In Your Atmosphere", a song that I don't believe has ever been recorded in the studio, showcases Mayer's talent as a guitarist -- with the aid of a unique tuning and harmonic overtones, he manages to make a LOT of music with just one acoustic guitar and one voice.  In terms of performance and songwriting this is undoubtedly one of his most sincere songs as well.  it's a feeling that i'm sure just about everybody can relate with (i don't think i'm gonna go to L.A. any more/I'd get lost on the boulevard at night/without your voice to tell me, "i love you, take a right"/the ten and the two is the loneliest sight)

Finally,

to conclude, let me say that mayer is a royal douchebag.  especially with his most recent escapades, the shit he pulled with taylor swift last year (quite contrary to mayer, a fantastic person who makes horrible music).  but this has no bearing on the fact that he's an incredibly talented musician, and when he inflicts heartbreak on himself he has the means to write a damn sincere song about it.  for christs sake, the guy was admitted to berklee college of music...clearly he knows what he's doing...

and for christ's sake, "whiny"?  i think sometimes he tends to sing like he has a perpetual sore throat, but he's about as far as you can get from whiny...

The Guy can play, no doubt, but sadly, that accoustic piece went sailing right over all the soccer moms heads.

Not to mention - why is it "unwarranted" to state that I absolutely cannot stand the man's voice? It's my personal opinion. (And gee, haven't we all heard THAT said before about a certain group?)

He may be a hell of a guitarist. But the voice ruins it for me.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Apr 23 2011, 02:32 AM)

Finally,

yeah.....ok.

He can definately play. Definately. But he should stick to that. Get into a blues rock band or something, not this poppish gardige he's doing right now. And I agree with Mara, his voice is a good emetic.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Apr 23 2011, 04:22 PM)
He can definately play. Definately. But he should stick to that. Get into a blues rock band or something, not this poppish gardige he's doing right now. And I agree with Mara, his voice is a good emetic.

this is a good example of proper criticism. the post still gets across the point, but it does so fairly and objectively, and gives the reader the impression that the writer is at least somewhat knowledgeable on the subject that they're criticizing (a very important point in fair criticism and argument).

Finally,

You're not his brother are you?

tongue.gif laugh.gif

How this guy gets the woman he gets is mind blowing

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Apr 23 2011, 04:02 PM)

this is a good example of proper criticism. the post still gets across the point, but it does so fairly and objectively, and gives the reader the impression that the writer is at least somewhat knowledgeable on the subject that they're criticizing (a very important point in fair criticism and argument).

Speaking of pompous...

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Apr 23 2011, 05:18 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Apr 23 2011, 04:02 PM)

Speaking of pompous...

Can i get an Amen....................

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Apr 23 2011, 05:35 PM)
I don't see what's so pompous about expecting criticism to be reasonable, fair and backed by a substantial body of knowledge.

Since you are such an expert in all things music, im sure youve heard of Eric Johnson?...Lets use Eric in comparison to Mr.Mayer.

Eric both plays a mean axe, and sings. And he writes great songs. But he doesnt write songs that cater to housewives/sorority girls. He is adventurous with his music. If Mayer did more of that, then he would get more respect. The guy is talented. But i am sure he wishes he could go back and change the direction of his career.

Archived