R40

Alex

Two years ago, I posted a topic suggesting this and everyone laughed. Now it seems more possible than ever before. I honestly believe they will end on R40, for reasons of symbolism and consistency. What do you guys think?

If they just go out and tour without any covers being released, it has the potential of being their farewell concert. I say it will be their last. Of course, I wouldn't complain if they kept going afterwards.

I guess anything can happen, but I can't say I recall them doing anything either for symbolism or consistency. So why start now?

QUOTE (ioc @ Apr 22 2011, 01:18 PM)
I guess anything can happen, but I can't say I recall them doing anything either for symbolism or consistency. So why start now?

Well to me they always seem to be organized/constant.

I'm starting to think that this might happen more and more by the day. But I won't complain if 'Clockwork Angels' becomes their last album/tour. If they do decide to do an R40 tour, I think they should break some stuff out of the vaults.

QUOTE (Alex @ Apr 22 2011, 01:26 PM)
QUOTE (ioc @ Apr 22 2011, 01:18 PM)
I guess anything can happen, but I can't say I recall them doing anything either for symbolism or consistency.  So why start now?

Well to me they always seem to be organized/constant.

I only meant that, to my knowledge, they've never done anything solely for the sake of symbolism or consistency. For instance, doing an R40 just because they did R30. I don't recall an R20, 15 or 10. They don't release albums on a timetable for the sake of consistency (which annoys some folks who thought Rush was partially defined by the consistent release of albums--which clearly they were not).

They also seem averse to the notion of a farewell tour, so retiring on 'R40' for the sake of symbolism seems unlikely.

On the other hand, doing what they want when they want (being the only pattern I detect), they may do just as you said because they also don't seem to care about contradicting past statements they've made.

I guess my point is that one ought not confuse constancy with consistency. I read once in reference to Emerson's writing "with consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do" that constancy is always a virtue; consistency is sometimes a vice.

I am of a firm belief that we will get an R-40 tour to cap off this magical ride.

2012 they are going to do an extensive world tour....1 year break. Then give us the setlist of setlists with R-40.

Fingers crossed.

I can see them getting a kick out of doing an R40...

QUOTE (Todem @ Apr 22 2011, 06:39 PM)
I am of a firm belief that we will get an R-40 tour to cap off this magical ride.

2012 they are going to do an extensive world tour....1 year break. Then give us the setlist of setlists with R-40.

Fingers crossed.

yes.gif yes.gif

R30 was such a fun tour. I certainly think R40 is a strong possibility.

The Allmans Brothers 40th anniversary run at the Beacon was certainly memorable.

It included guest artists such as:

Levon Helm

Larry Campbell

Johnny Winter

David Hidalgo and Cesar Rosas

Buddy Guy

Trey Anastasio and Page McConnell

Bruce Willis

Boz Scaggs

Robert Randolph

Stanley Clarke

Sheryl Crow

Eric Clapton

Bruce Hornsby

John Popper

Billy Gibbons

Bob Weir

Phil Lesh

Chuck Leavell

Certainly Rush has never been a band that was known for guest artists, but I wanted to give an example of a bunch of old timers that can still put on incredible shows.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 23 2011, 04:03 PM)
I honestly don't think Geddy's voice will hold up that long.  He's already struggling hard.

user posted image

Archived