rush least discussed song?

tel

which song is not necesarily underated but rarely gets mentioned in rush circles?

great songs but rarely mentioned....

chemistry

lessons

speed of love

turn the page

red tide

tom sawyer (just messin)

songs you dont instantly think of but which (imo)are amongst some of the best rush compositions.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(in other words) where are the 'Appreciation Threads' for:

Before & After

Making Memories

Bacchus Plateau

red lenses

Emotion Detector

High Water

Chain Lightning

Double Agent

Totem

Peaceable Kingdom and

Bravest Face

- yeah?

It's Different Strings for me. I adore all of Permanent Waves, and that song holds a special place for me; nevertheless, I am quietly surprised that people don't mention it much here.

If it does get a mention, it seems that some people see it only as 'filler', and I am dismayed when I get that impression from others. To me the song is a beautiful, understated expression of what all good relationships pivot upon, namely the ineffable 'sense of right' or 'sense of fit' that one experiences with one's very closest friends, lovers and confidants. It's about the way that one can sit with a friend for hours, exchanging few words because neither of you need to - everything you need is at hand.

Strangely, however, many seem to have a rather more two-dimensional interpretation of the lyrics; that they depict simply the situation between two lovers - in other words, that the song is the closest Rush ever gets to a traditional love song (aside from Cold Fire perhaps and one or two others). To me the song is an exemplar of what does what Rush does with such aplomb, it takes a fundamental philosophical issue, and presents an optimistic analysis of that in music. Moreover, the song upholds the central theme of Permanent Waves. When asked in a magazine interview in 1981 why they gave the album that title, Big Al said (and I paraphrase):

"Well, we just thought that, currently, there is all this New Wave stuff in music, and then there are the old waves. There is 'this wave' and 'that wave', and we thought that, all along, none of that matters because behind it all are the permanent waves of music."

In line with that, Different Strings presents the idea that, however we interact, there is always an ever-continuing principle that lies between close friends and lovers. To wit: there is nothing to explain, it's a part of us, to be found within a song.

Then there is the guitar. Do not get me started...

...OK, do, because I love it. Everything from that beautiful classical-guitar that forms the bedrock of the song, to the solo mid-way through that sounds to me like a wounded beast howling out on the moors. Then there is the solo at the end that fades out far, far too early. ...And then there's the use of harmonics to punctuate it all - fantastic, imaginative stuff.

What a song - I want it played at my funeral, and I am going to have someone print the lyrics out when I pop my clogs so that everybody in the crematorium can sing along as they stick me in a medium oven for a couple of hours.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Apr 4 2011, 08:45 AM)

Before & After
Making Memories
Bacchus Plateau
red lenses
Emotion Detector
High Water
Chain Lightning
Double Agent
Totem
Peaceable Kingdom and
Bravest Face

- yeah?

sure,why not?

only mention these great tunes ever got were from deckiller.

QUOTE (tel @ Apr 4 2011, 10:08 AM)

Before & After
Making Memories
Bacchus Plateau
red lenses
Emotion Detector
High Water
Chain Lightning
Double Agent
Totem
Peaceable Kingdom and
Bravest Face

- yeah?

sure,why not?

only mention these great tunes ever got were from deckiller.

A couple of years ago I sort of started an appreciation thread for Red Lenses. I'd hated the song when GUP first came out and had skipped it almost every time it came on, for 25 years. I gave it several chances, just couldn't find any love at all.

But for some reason I didn't hit "Skip" on the CD player one day, and fell in love with Red Lenses. I could not believe what I'd been missing for two and a half decades.

I'd add: Here Again, Tears, Madrigal, Losing It

These are just the most obscure/shunned/0-radio-play in my circles. But then, I'm new to the forums so...???

QUOTE (Undemanding Contact @ Apr 4 2011, 09:00 AM)
It's Different Strings for me. I adore all of Permanent Waves, and that song holds a special place for me; nevertheless, I am quietly surprised that people don't mention it much here.

If it does get a mention, it seems that some people see it only as 'filler', and I am dismayed when I get that impression from others. To me the song is a beautiful, understated expression of what all good relationships pivot upon, namely the ineffable 'sense of right' or 'sense of fit' that one experiences with one's very closest friends, lovers and confidants. It's about the way that one can sit with a friend for hours, exchanging few words because neither of you need to - everything you need is at hand.

Strangely, however, many seem to have a rather more two-dimensional interpretation of the lyrics; that they depict simply the situation between two lovers - in other words, that the song is the closest Rush ever gets to a traditional love song (aside from Cold Fire perhaps and one or two others). To me the song is an exemplar of what does what Rush does with such aplomb, it takes a fundamental philosophical issue, and presents an optimistic analysis of that in music. Moreover, the song upholds the central theme of Permanent Waves. When asked in a magazine interview in 1981 why they gave the album that title, Big Al said (and I paraphrase):

"Well, we just thought that, currently, there is all this New Wave stuff in music, and then there are the old waves. There is 'this wave' and 'that wave', and we thought that, all along, none of that matters because behind it all are the permanent waves of music."

In line with that, Different Strings presents the idea that, however we interact, there is always an ever-continuing principle that lies between close friends and lovers. To wit: there is nothing to explain, it's a part of us, to be found within a song.

Then there is the guitar. Do not get me started...

...OK, do, because I love it. Everything from that beautiful classical-guitar that forms the bedrock of the song, to the solo mid-way through that sounds to me like a wounded beast howling out on the moors. Then there is the solo at the end that fades out far, far too early. ...And then there's the use of harmonics to punctuate it all - fantastic, imaginative stuff.

What a song - I want it played at my funeral, and I am going to have someone print the lyrics out when I pop my clogs so that everybody in the crematorium can sing along as they stick me in a medium oven for a couple of hours.

I agree completely about Different Strings. I have it listed as one of my favorite songs in my profile.

I would love to hear the next 60-90 seconds of whatever Alex played after the fade at the end.

A few from each album that are not necessarily underrated, but just have amazing compositions and are never talked about, or not talked about enough:

Here Again, Before And After

Beneath, Between & Behind, In The End

No One At The Bridge, I Think I'm Going Bald

Soliloquy, The Twilight Zone

Madrigal, Cinderella Man

Armageddon, Circumstances

Different Strings, Permanent Waves

Witch Hunt, Vital Signs

Chemistry, Digital Man, Losing It, Countdown,

The Enemy Within, The Body Electric, Kid Gloves, Red Lenses

Grand Designs, Manhattan Project, THE ENTIRE B-SIDE. (I only see people talk about the Big Money and Marathon, and lately Emotion Detector has been getting a lot of love, deservingly.)

Force Ten, Open Secrets, Second Nature, High Water

Chain Lightning, War Paint, Scars, Superconductor, Anagram, Red Tide, Hand Over Fist

Face Up, The Big Wheel, Heresy, Neurotica

Nobody's Hero, Alien Shore, Double Agent, Everyday Glory

The Color of Right, Totem, Virtuality, Carve Away The Stone

Peaceable Kingdom, How It Is, Vapor Trail, Sweet Miracle, Nocturne

The Larger Bowl, Spindrift, The Way The Wind Blows, Faithless, Good News First

BU2B

You'll find something redeeming in all these songs if you give them a fresh listen and you'll find they are written just as epic as other stuff Rush normally puts out, and you'll also find it blows other bands "filler" crap out of the water.

Emotion Detector

There's been a few for it

Red Lenses

Red Tide

Carve Away The Stone

Ceiling Unlimited

New World Man

Grand Designs

Territories

The Body Electric

Time And Motion

Totem

Lakeside Park

Chemistry

Secret Touch

How It Is

The Larger Bowl

Vital Signs

The Necromancer

Working Man

Jacob's Ladder

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Apr 4 2011, 10:51 AM)
It's Different Strings for me. ... I want it played at my funeral, and I am going to have someone print the lyrics out when I pop my clogs so that everybody in the crematorium can sing along as they stick me in a medium oven for a couple of hours.

I agree completely about Different Strings. I have it listed as one of my favorite songs in my profile.

I would love to hear the next 60-90 seconds of whatever Alex played after the fade at the end.

Absolutely! I have turned up the volume to full on many occasions, right at the very end of the song, in order to catch the very last note that is audible. I have an idea of how the next few bars must have gone (assuming he played them), but we will never know.

Sadly, it is one song that I presume we will never hear live, because:

a. There is the piano in it.

b. Alex plays the solos on an electric, while playing the backing on acoustic.

This strikes me as one situation when sampling etc. just would not cut it in a live show.

What a shame. Love that song to bits. A Turkish friend of mine (who came to see Rush with me at Wembley Arena in 2004) likes the song, and calls it 'The Dragon Song' (because of the first lyric).

QUOTE (Undemanding Contact @ Apr 4 2011, 02:15 PM)
QUOTE (Digital Man @ Apr 4 2011, 10:51 AM)
It's Different Strings for me. ... I want it played at my funeral, and I am going to have someone print the lyrics out when I pop my clogs so that everybody in the crematorium can sing along as they stick me in a medium oven for a couple of hours.

Absolutely! I have turned up the volume to full on many occasions, right at the very end of the song, in order to catch the very last note that is audible. I have an idea of how the next few bars must have gone (assuming he played them), but we will never know.

Sadly, it is one song that I presume we will never hear live, because:

a. There is the piano in it.

b. Alex plays the solos on an electric, while playing the backing on acoustic.

This strikes me as one situation when sampling etc. just would not cut it in a live show.

What a shame. Love that song to bits. A Turkish friend of mine (who came to see Rush with me at Wembley Arena in 2004) likes the song, and calls it 'The Dragon Song' (because of the first lyric).

What they said.

A lot of you have mentioned some fitting songs for this thread.. Some songs not so much however..

I'm left to mention:

Bastille Day

Return of the Prince

TFoL as a whole

And songs that are fitting enough to Re-Mention:

Rivendell

Cinderella Man

Madrigal

Different Strings

Force Ten

Anagram

Color of Right

Nothing from PoW or Sig should be ITT, with exceptions for Countdown & Big Money

Looks like I'm the only person who can't stand "Tears". But that's just my personal preference in music -- lyrics bug me moreso, though...

I think P/G is vastly underrated. Red Lenses, as has been mentioned, is fantastic IMO. I like the music and underlying beat of Kid Gloves, too. (: There are some neglected (in terms of "talked about often") songs on HYF, too, like Turn the Page. Freaking amazing bass!!

Edited to add Why does no one seem to like RTB!? I really enjoy that album. In some ways it's a concept album about taking chances in life, "rolling the bones" per se. At least for half the songs. And "Bravado" is brilliant and moving beyond description.

All in my opinion, of course, but I don't get it.. Even the title track's pretty cool. I think it's a different sound, yes, but is it really THAT bad?

And for the record I really like "You Bet Your Life".

Archived