What New Music Are You Into?

sullysue

Joe Bonamassa, blues/rock musician.

QUOTE (kylee @ May 6 2005, 09:13 PM)
The only thing I find myself listening to these days is Andrew Loyd Weber's greatest hits. Life just can't get any better!!! or can it?

Yes, trust me.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ May 6 2005, 07:49 PM)

I haven't heard of him, Rat. I'm gonna look him up on iTunes. You can listen to 30 second snippits of songs there.

Edited by sullysue

QUOTE (sullysue @ May 6 2005, 10:58 PM)

I haven't heard of him, Rat. I'm gonna look him up on iTunes. You can listen to 30 second snippits of songs there.

653.gif You will fall in love.

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ May 7 2005, 11:41 AM)

He's really wonderful, Rat! iTunes is only offering a partial album of "A New Day Yesterday," though.

QUOTE (sullysue @ May 7 2005, 10:42 AM)
QUOTE (Steel Rat @ May 7 2005, 11:41 AM)

He's really wonderful, Rat! iTunes is only offering a partial album of "A New Day Yesterday," though.

Sounds like a Tull song. Maybe Ian Anderson covered that guy, if thats the case, I think I might wanna check this guy out.

I am not sure whether to post this in the concerts thread or new music, but it was new music to me so I think this will work. I just went to one of the best concerts last night that I have been to all year, one by the band LCD Soundsystem. Before I went to this show, I had heard no material by the band at all, I was only going based on positive word of mouth recommendations I have seen here and there. So I head to the Fillmore last night with no ticket in hand, hoping there is gonna be a scalper that isnt trying to completely rip me off. After haggling one down from $75 to $40, which is only about $5 more then face, I have a ticket and am in line. Luckily for me, there isnt much of a crowd even just half an hour before the doors open, so by the time they do, I was leaning against the stage, front row. The opening act, M.I.A., was really good, as far as hip hop/dance artists go. I remember a funny video before she took the stage in which you saw a press conferance with Tony Blair and dubya in which Blair was giving a speech and was constantly getting interrupted by Bush who was saying nothing but "M.I.A.". Sometimes in a long drawn out way and you would see Blair starring over to Bush with great annoyance. The music at times was really good too, I am not a hip hop fan, but it had me dancing and smiling, thats not something that is all that easy to do. I enjoyed her.

But the real suprise was LCD Soundsystem. Once they took the stage and I first heard the drummer start in some frantic beat and then synths, bass and congas following, I knew this was gonna floor me. Each band member were playing thier own seperate parts, sometimes in different time signatures, but it all was flowing together incredibly. The layering that was going on made listening to each seperate member so much more interesting not only in what they were playing, but how it added to the feel of the music. If I were to describe thier music, it would be a electronic, rock feel with a huge emphasis on the layering aspect of song progression. No band member, sans the drummer, were limited to any one instrument. The singer was playing the drums at points, the guitar player was switching off between congas and bass guitar on other songs, the bass player was using a mini-moog, everyone was all over everything. By the end of the night, I couldnt contain my enthusiasm and was in a wild dancing state. And to top it all off, because of how close I was standing, during the last song I was able to simply reach out and grab the used drumsticks of one of the band members (4 of whom were helping out in drums at some point or another). On top of that, each member had a setlist taped to the floor next to their instruments and after the show was over, I convinced one of the stagehands to let me have one of them. And because it was at the Fillmore, every sold out show that venue has, they give out free customized posters after the show is over. So I got quite a bit of goodies at this one.

All in all, this is one band that I am going to be SERIOUSLY paying attention to in the future and right now is probably my favorite new band. I would highly recommend to everyone to check these guys out. If only every concert I go to could be as perfect as last night, this show last night is in my top 3 concerts right now for sure.

Edited by Moonraker

QUOTE (Moonraker @ May 15 2005, 08:03 PM)
I am not sure whether to post this in the concerts thread or new music, but it was new music to me so I think this will work. I just went to one of the best concerts last night that I have been to all year, one by the band LCD Soundsystem. Before I went to this show, I had heard no material by the band at all, I was only going based on positive word of mouth recommendations I have seen here and there. So I head to the Fillmore last night with no ticket in hand, hoping there is gonna be a scalper that isnt trying to completely rip me off. After haggling one down from $75 to $40, which is only about $5 more then face, I have a ticket and am in line. Luckily for me, there isnt much of a crowd even just half an hour before the doors open, so by the time they do, I was leaning against the stage, front row. The opening act, M.I.A., was really good, as far as hip hop/dance artists go. I remember a funny video before she took the stage in which you saw a press conferance with Tony Blair and dubya in which Blair was giving a speech and was constantly getting interrupted by Bush who was saying nothing but "M.I.A.". Sometimes in a long drawn out way and you would see Blair starring over to Bush with great annoyance. The music at times was really good too, I am not a hip hop fan, but it had me dancing and smiling, thats not something that is all that easy to do. I enjoyed her.

But the real suprise was LCD Soundsystem. Once they took the stage and I first heard the drummer start in some frantic beat and then synths, bass and congas following, I knew this was gonna floor me. Each band member were playing thier own seperate parts, sometimes in different time signatures, but it all was flowing together incredibly. The layering that was going on made listening to each seperate member so much more interesting not only in what they were playing, but how it added to the feel of the music. If I were to describe thier music, it would be a electronic, rock feel with a huge emphasis on the layering aspect of song progression. No band member, sans the drummer, were limited to any one instrument. The singer was playing the drums at points, the guitar player was switching off between congas and bass guitar on other songs, the bass player was using a mini-moog, everyone was all over everything. By the end of the night, I couldnt contain my enthusiasm and was in a wild dancing state. And to top it all off, because of how close I was standing, during the last song I was able to simply reach out and grab the used drumsticks of one of the band members (4 of whom were helping out in drums at some point or another). On top of that, each member had a setlist taped to the floor next to their instruments and after the show was over, I convinced one of the stagehands to let me have one of them. And because it was at the Fillmore, every sold out show that venue has, they give out free customized posters after the show is over. So I got quite a bit of goodies at this one.

All in all, this is one band that I am going to be SERIOUSLY paying attention to in the future and right now is probably my favorite new band. I would highly recommend to everyone to check these guys out. If only every concert I go to could be as perfect as last night, this show last night is in my top 3 concerts right now for sure.

That's a good post, Moon. Awesome of you to share such a great experience. I'm really moved to check them out. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Wow. A lot. I love the indie rock scene right now and some great albums this year so far. Hazards of Love - The Decemberists is my favorite by far from this year. New Grizzly Bear is great too and still havn't listened to It's Blitz! - Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Always looking for great new music.

WHY do people think it's a good idea to bump threads from four or five years ago? I see a cool topic and am thinking about what I'm going to say, and I start to read it and I'm like "oh wait, I posted in this in 2005."

However, this thread did remind me of one thing: Evan (Moonraker) was my dude. I still don't know why he disappeared off the face of the earth.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Mar 25 2009, 06:37 PM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ May 2 2005, 02:56 PM)
None at all. The newest band that I enjoy is U2. Except maybe for Switchfoot.

OH REALLY IS THAT SO

It is. I only pretend to listen to all those other bands so you guys will accept me sad.gif

/bump moar threads eyesre4.gif

//chat is great, no permanent record of your idiocy

///slashies!

Well, I guess I finally "got" Coldplay. I bought Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends, as well as the Prospekt's March EP yesterday, and they were great! (fledge, I guess I just had to give the whole album a listen, instead of individual songs. confused13.gif )

Alright, ming. Check this out. A couple of my internet mates have turned me on to a couple of artists who are in the vicinity of the singer-songwriter.

Ya got yer Jeremy Enigk, who fronted the bands, Sunny Day Real Estate and The Fire Thief. Nowadays, he's been focusing on his solo work and chasing the dream. Here's some sample solo tracks:

http://www.imeem.com/tag/jeremy%20enigk/music/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Enigk

Ya got yer Shannon Wright, a crazy lass who's known for her unconventional compositional style and for her "do-it-yourself punk aesthetic". I like her. She's got chutzpah, as they say in French. Check it:

http://www.imeem.com/tag/?f=music&q=artist:shannon%20wright

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon_Wright

QUOTE (theworkingman @ Mar 25 2009, 09:35 PM)
Wow. A lot. I love the indie rock scene right now and some great albums this year so far. Hazards of Love - The Decemberists is my favorite by far from this year. New Grizzly Bear is great too and still havn't listened to It's Blitz! - Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Always looking for great new music.

I usually don't get stirred up by the Alt. and Indie scenes, but these two have been the exceptions. Really catchy stuff throughout both bands' recordings. I've heard both group's material all over movies and TV shows.

http://www.imeem.com/tag/?f=music&q=artist...end%20and%20foe

Menomena

http://www.imeem.com/tag/?f=music&q=artist:black%20mountain

Black Mountain

I'm into Coldplay right now. Viva La Vida is a terrific album, and the Prospekt's March EP is a nice addition to it. yes.gif