Grateful Dead

I recently got into them this past month, American Beauty is my favorite by them; Sugar Magnolia is a gorgeous song. yes.gif

I love the Grateful Dead. Love their Sirius radio station. I think I have about 450 cd's of live Dead shows.

My favorite year is 1969. I'll never get enough of listening to Dark Star >St. Stephen > The Eleven. 1973 and 1977 were fantastic years as well. The crispness of those '77 soundboards are the best live sound I've ever heard.

One day Rush will be like the Dead and mix up their setlists as well as throwing some improvisation into their live shows. tongue.gif

I'm a fan. My favorite studio album is probably Grateful Dead from the Mars Hotel. The live stuff and boots.....where to even f***ing begin.

I really love that album that John Oswald put together called Grayfolded, where he mixed a bunch of live versions of Dark Star together into one epic version. It's so long it takes up two CDs. I put those in when I'm doing stuff around the house and just chill. cool10.gif

You and Jenn need to come with me to the next local Dark Star Orchestra show then. I missed last Friday's National show due to daughter's play.

I kind of look at The Grateful Dead as the Antirush.

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/jawkjaw/0131311490981-1.jpg

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Mar 15 2011, 10:21 AM)
You and Jenn need to come with me to the next local Dark Star Orchestra show then. I missed last Friday's National show due to daughter's play.

This definitely needs to happen. trink39.gif

Used to go see them often. Early '90's late '80's before Jerry died. Loved them then more than I do now, but I still like them a lot. I liked the Brent years a lot.

It got to the point where I could do without the fans a little. Too much for me. I tried to be a part of it all for a while but it didn't quite fit my personality. Then it took some time for me to just dig them musically.

The JGB is real good stuff. I might like some of the JGB shows more than Dead shows.

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Mar 15 2011, 09:21 AM)

Saw DSO play an orignial setlst last thursday at the state theater, va. amazing show. Mattson does a great job filling in for Kadlecik.

Next up -- Further St Pattys Day in Fairfax!

QUOTE (raygun47 @ Mar 15 2011, 06:29 PM)
I liked the Brent years a lot.

It got to the point where I could do without the fans a little. Too much for me. I tried to be a part of it all for a while but it didn't quite fit my personality. Then it took some time for me to just dig them musically.

all of this

Just thought of something I loved about seeing the Dead.

Bob Weir did a few Dylan songs live ("Queen Jane Approximately"," When I Paint My Masterpiece" are two I recall). These songs were multiple verse songs...songs I've known for years and could never remember the words to...and he never missed a lyric when I saw him. Not saying he never did, EVER...but I never saw him miss a line.

So...he'd do one, then two or three songs later he'd flub a line of "Truckin'" or "Sugar Magnolia." I always loved how it seemed he took the time to reproduce Bob Dylan correctly and then blow a line everyone in the audience could sing verbatim.

I loved watching Bob Weir. Some faves of his library..."Weather Report Suite," "Lost Sailor," "St. of Circumstance," "Cassidy," "Black-Throated Wind."

Damn...now I have "Black-Throated Wind" playing...(Dick's Picks Vol. 23). Curse the guy who started this thread! I'm listening to the Dead again!

I used to hate them but got into them about 4 years ago . No band has as many live shows floating around as the Dead

I think there are a lot of misconceptions about the Dead...

...that all of their music is mindless jamming/noodling...

...that they're so stoned that there's no way in hell that the music could be any good...

In a lot of ways, the "scene" and people's perceptions of the band sometimes prevent them from hearing what's going on.

Yes, a big deal is made about the improvisational nature of the Dead (i.e. jamming sections in their shows, no two setlists are the same, etc), and there were definitely drug issues throughout the band's career.

What this doesn't adress is that underneath that surface, there were great SONGS... Garcia/Hunter and Weir/Barlow wrote some timeless songs...

I think one reason that Europe 72 is my favorite Dead album is because it showcases many of the Dead's strengths...

There's great jamming on the extended Truckin' and China Cat/I Know You Rider.

There's also great unheralded songs like Brown Eyed Women, He's Gone, Jack Straw, Looks Like Rain (on the reissue), Cumberland Blues....

There's a beautiful cover of folksong Morning Dew. A spirited rendition of Sugar Magnolia.

I could go on.... 653.gif

The Dead managed to take a lot of American music (R&B, blues, country/bluegrass, traditional folk, jazz) and concoct their own blend, their own brand of music, in a sense.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman

QUOTE (raygun47 @ Mar 16 2011, 02:40 PM)
Just thought of something I loved about seeing the Dead.

Bob Weir did a few Dylan songs live ("Queen Jane Approximately"," When I Paint My Masterpiece" are two I recall). These songs were multiple verse songs...songs I've known for years and could never remember the words to...and he never missed a lyric when I saw him. Not saying he never did, EVER...but I never saw him miss a line.

So...he'd do one, then two or three songs later he'd flub a line of "Truckin'" or "Sugar Magnolia." I always loved how it seemed he took the time to reproduce Bob Dylan correctly and then blow a line everyone in the audience could sing verbatim.

I loved watching Bob Weir. Some faves of his library..."Weather Report Suite," "Lost Sailor," "St. of Circumstance," "Cassidy," "Black-Throated Wind."

Damn...now I have "Black-Throated Wind" playing...(Dick's Picks Vol. 23). Curse the guy who started this thread! I'm listening to the Dead again!

That is one of the greatest mysteries: how Bobby could screw up the lyrics to Truckin' frequently but never on a Dylan tune.

FYI - my youngest child's middle name is Cassidy.

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Mar 19 2011, 12:48 PM)
QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Mar 16 2011, 12:58 PM)
I need to hit a Furthur date, or at least a Phil or Bob show. I miss live Dead!!!!

GO. You wont regret it.

Speaking of which, I'm going to the April 1st (I think that's the date) Furthur show in Hampton. Anyone else going???

Been a huge fan since high school and have seen them a bunch of times. Ithaca 5/8/77 brought me home from Boston last Sunday. Today it was a Filmore show from 69.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Mar 20 2011, 04:48 PM)
Been a huge fan since high school and have seen them a bunch of times. Ithaca 5/8/77 brought me home from Boston last Sunday. Today it was a Filmore show from 69.

That Cornell show has the best AM Dew ever.