Yes Geddy can!!!

N.O.RUSH

was listening to some vids from last years tour on youtube. Geddy was on fire for the Atlanta show. For those of you who think he's lost it vocally should listen to some of the vids from the Atlanta show. I think he just has a hard time bringing it every night these days. On this night, he was 20 years younger.

I agree that he can still sing a good chunk of their material - from about Permanent Waves onward - with most of his "remaining" natural range, but you absolutely cannot deny that his voice sounds at least a little bit strained nowadays, especially during songs like Time Stand Still (I will never understand why he sings in a higher pitch during the chorus). But seriously, after 40 years of singing like a madman, can you honestly blame him for toning it down a little bit?

This is only my opinion and nothing more, but I think because his range isn't as diverse as it once was, the emotion and certain intonations that he uses more than makes up for it. He's earned every bit of my respect for still giving it his all after all of this time. I mean, he doesn't have to endure the constant stress that touring has on his vocal cords (and still performing songs that demand a lot from him, both vocally and instrumentally), but he still does it, arguably better than he ever has.

Can YOU name any vocalists (or even a band in general) that still puts a massive amount of effort - arguably MORE effort, in Rush's case - to delivering the best possible show like them? It's pretty amazing, when you think about it.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Mar 11 2011, 08:20 AM)
I thought he sounded great at SPAC

yes.gif

He most definitely did that night. When I saw them in Syracuse though he did seem off a few times but still did a good job.

He can still sing. I don't think that's the issue people have with his voice. It more has to do with his range being far less than it used to be. If you listen to some boots from this tour you can hear him straining a bit on some stuff.

He still does a good job but there's no doubt his voice has changed and he's not as good of a singer as he used to be.

And if you saw or heard the Zeppelin reunion show in '07 (many boots available) you know Robert Plant doesn't have nearly the range he did "back in the day". Hell, I saw Plant & Page in like '98 at the Hollywood Bowl and it was very apparent already at that point. Seen The Eagles lately? Frey's voice is not great anymore. Steven Tyler? Still pretty good but not as good as it used to be. Paul McCartney has his drummer sing the really high notes in his songs now (and I am an absolutely HUGE Beatles fan so not a criticism, just a fact). Ozzy? puhhhhhlease. If you haven't had a chance to see him on one of the first 5 stops on a tour in the last 25 years, his voice has been shit (again, BIG fan). It's why he plays here and there now rather than doing full blown tours. Ian Gillan? Nope. Dio before he died? Still good but some slippage. In fact, of all the male singers that are Geddy's contemporaries there's only one that, to my ears, still sounds as good as he did when he was a young man and that's Don Henley of The Eagles. He still sings at his young man full range and still has a really strong voice.

There's a couple of other guys I've seen live within the last couple of years that are a half generation younger than Geddy that still are pretty amazing singers and they're Geoff Tate of Queensryche, Bruce Dickinson of Maiden and Halford of Priest. They are all still very strong from that half generation younger than Geddy crowd, but some or all of them may yet lose range and power.

One thing I've found with singers is that it seems that women singers don't lose their range and power nearly as readily as men do (assuming no major abuse like long term smoking, heavy drinking, etc.) If you've seen Ann Wilson of Heart recently, you definitely know what I mean. Same goes for Pat Benetar.

As you can see, I've given this subject a lot of thought and paid plenty of attention to all the singers 50+ years of age....hell, they're "my" bands as I'm 54 and grew up with all the classic rock bands. The thing is it really doesn't matter to me that Geddy can't hit those major high notes regularly anymore outside of the fact that we're unlikely to ever get to hear "Something For Nothing" or any of the other really high note songs again. To me, I think he still sounds good on the newer material which is no surprise since it's what fits him as a singer now. The older songs on which he strains are great to hear and musically still sound awesome. I long ago accepted that he's going to struggle a bit now and then on a few songs but that's part of the aging process. And let me tell you as a guy around his age, you aren't the same physically at 50-something as you were at 30-something.

Lastly, there are people out there that actually like the newer Rush stuff better than the older because Geddy's voice isn't as high and "screechy" as it was in the old days. I know because I used to be married to a woman who had that opinion and other folks have expressed that to me as well. To each his own. I figure if you're into any era of Rush, it's a good thing.

The only reason Dio lost range was because he toured non-stop from 2004 to 2008. Literally.

I thought he sounded really good in 2007, but looking back, on the 2009 tour he sounded really bad, and I think the pain from the cancer might've been causing that.

We saw Heart a couple of years ago opening for Journey. Wilson still has it totally. Geddy sounded very good, with an odd bad note here and there @ Allentown last August, but all in all he was his usual kick-a__ self. Agreed about Ozzy. As much as I love his music, he's toast if he does more than 3 shows a month. RJD kept it up for a really long time until the end. He and Klaus Meine come to mind from that era of metal as guys with enormous range although Meine had surgeries after losing his voice completely for a couple of years...

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Mar 15 2011, 07:42 PM)
QUOTE (Chicken hawk @ Mar 15 2011, 04:01 PM)
What cancer?? unsure.gif

He's talking about Dio....stomach cancer took his life a while back.

Thanks for clearing that up Driventotheedge.

Rush is, for the most part, still doing their material in the original keys. I don't think that should be overlooked. Only 2112 and Circumstances to my knowledge have been dropped a second.

Contrast this with a lot of people. I was watching a recent Billy Joel thing the other day and he's doing everything a key or two down.

Gedd's not remotely there yet, and I appreciate that.

QUOTE (Ritchie Ramone @ Mar 12 2011, 07:25 PM)
I agree that he can still sing a good chunk of their material - from about Permanent Waves onward - with most of his "remaining" natural range, but you absolutely cannot deny that his voice sounds at least a little bit strained nowadays, especially during songs like Time Stand Still (I will never understand why he sings in a higher pitch during the chorus). But seriously, after 40 years of singing like a madman, can you honestly blame him for toning it down a little bit?

This is only my opinion and nothing more, but I think because his range isn't as diverse as it once was, the emotion and certain intonations that he uses more than makes up for it. He's earned every bit of my respect for still giving it his all after all of this time. I mean, he doesn't have to endure the constant stress that touring has on his vocal cords (and still performing songs that demand a lot from him, both vocally and instrumentally), but he still does it, arguably better than he ever has.

Can YOU name any vocalists (or even a band in general) that still puts a massive amount of effort - arguably MORE effort, in Rush's case - to delivering the best possible show like them? It's pretty amazing, when you think about it.

I agree with you!

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Mar 11 2011, 08:55 AM)
QUOTE (N.O.RUSH @ Mar 11 2011, 01:17 AM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49nnv2s01lk...n_order&list=UL

^ if you think this version of TS is "on fire" vocally I'd say you have your bar set incredibly low

Yeah, he sounds like he always does, the last 15 years or so.

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Mar 13 2011, 08:12 PM)
And if you saw or heard the Zeppelin reunion show in '07 (many boots available) you know Robert Plant doesn't have nearly the range he did "back in the day". Hell, I saw Plant & Page in like '98 at the Hollywood Bowl and it was very apparent already at that point. Seen The Eagles lately? Frey's voice is not great anymore. Steven Tyler? Still pretty good but not as good as it used to be. Paul McCartney has his drummer sing the really high notes in his songs now (and I am an absolutely HUGE Beatles fan so not a criticism, just a fact). Ozzy? puhhhhhlease. If you haven't had a chance to see him on one of the first 5 stops on a tour in the last 25 years, his voice has been shit (again, BIG fan). It's why he plays here and there now rather than doing full blown tours. Ian Gillan? Nope. Dio before he died? Still good but some slippage. In fact, of all the male singers that are Geddy's contemporaries there's only one that, to my ears, still sounds as good as he did when he was a young man and that's Don Henley of The Eagles. He still sings at his young man full range and still has a really strong voice.

There's a couple of other guys I've seen live within the last couple of years that are a half generation younger than Geddy that still are pretty amazing singers and they're Geoff Tate of Queensryche, Bruce Dickinson of Maiden and Halford of Priest. They are all still very strong from that half generation younger than Geddy crowd, but some or all of them may yet lose range and power.

One thing I've found with singers is that it seems that women singers don't lose their range and power nearly as readily as men do (assuming no major abuse like long term smoking, heavy drinking, etc.) If you've seen Ann Wilson of Heart recently, you definitely know what I mean. Same goes for Pat Benetar.

As you can see, I've given this subject a lot of thought and paid plenty of attention to all the singers 50+ years of age....hell, they're "my" bands as I'm 54 and grew up with all the classic rock bands. The thing is it really doesn't matter to me that Geddy can't hit those major high notes regularly anymore outside of the fact that we're unlikely to ever get to hear "Something For Nothing" or any of the other really high note songs again. To me, I think he still sounds good on the newer material which is no surprise since it's what fits him as a singer now. The older songs on which he strains are great to hear and musically still sound awesome. I long ago accepted that he's going to struggle a bit now and then on a few songs but that's part of the aging process. And let me tell you as a guy around his age, you aren't the same physically at 50-something as you were at 30-something.

Lastly, there are people out there that actually like the newer Rush stuff better than the older because Geddy's voice isn't as high and "screechy" as it was in the old days. I know because I used to be married to a woman who had that opinion and other folks have expressed that to me as well. To each his own. I figure if you're into any era of Rush, it's a good thing.

That's because Pat Benatar didn't have to sing Cygnus X-I and Hemispheres on a 178 show tour and blow her voice nearly to shreds in the process, but I get what you're saying.

Another singer I really like but whose voice slips a lot live and lately is James LaBrie of Dream Theater. But I guess after he recorded Awake back in '95 or so he really injured his vocal chords from food poisoning so who knows what he'd sound like now if that hadn't had happened. confused13.gif Again, huge DT fan and James in particular.

Edited by Del_Duio

On a bad night, Ged still gives a competent performance

On a good night, he still sounds amazing - better then he had in the late eighties earlie nineties that's for sure.

Think back to the HYF tour. Can you even imagin him going for it in Freewill, or playing Working Man?

57 or not, the guy still rocks the vocs