For the love of Dirt and Fuzz

Maverick

Yeah, could be the whole box, or just a portion of the circuit. Could even be a cable. Try different cables.

QUOTE (Sheldon Cooper @ Aug 20 2012, 08:39 AM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Aug 20 2012, 07:32 AM)
QUOTE (Sheldon Cooper @ Aug 19 2012, 11:11 AM)
Unfortunately the Triple Wreck is going to have to go back. It has a boost switch that when engaged, causes a radio station to play in my amp. And the higher the gain knob is turned up, the louder the radio station gets.

I did an A/B comparison between the Wreck and my Diamond Fireburst, and the Fireburst gives me the high gain distortion I was getting from the Wreck. So I won't be losing that.

Right now the plan is to return the Wreck in exchange for a dual channel fuzz pedal.

I really wanted the Wreck to work out, but it is only half way functional.

That is too bad. Echoes of that scene from Spinal Tap.

It certainly does. Wasn't that an issue with his wireless connection to his amp?

The strange thing is, when the guitar is played, you hear the guitar. But the instant the strings are silenced, the radio station comes through, loud and clear.

I think it was. I have never experienced that although I did have a stereo that when left on the phono setting would pick up CBs that went by. Scared the life out of me a couple of times.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Aug 20 2012, 03:10 PM)
Yeah, could be the whole box, or just a portion of the circuit. Could even be a cable. Try different cables.

I did try the cables. I think it's got to be something in the boost circuit, since it only does it when I activate that switch.

If the cables aren't it then the box may not be shielded well. Not too much you can do.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Aug 20 2012, 04:01 PM)
If the cables aren't it then the box may not be shielded well. Not too much you can do.

I've already submitted a return request with the vendor.

I revamped my gear recently (I do this like every 6-8 years).

This time, I decided to go with low watt tube amps and dirt stomp boxes.

I started with a Vox Nighttrain and tried a host of distortion, boost and overdrive boxes. However, I found that I don't really like deriving my distorted sound from pedals in front of a "clean" amp, so I finally settled on only having an overdrive and a boost in front of that amp to get two flavors between light crunch and light overdrive. Then I decided to go for a 2 amp rig using my two 2x12 cabs.

The second amp I bought was an Egnater Rebel 20 that I run around 3 o'clock on the gain. That gives me a nice medium distortion without any pedals, something along the lines of modern Lifeson rhythm. But I wanted to be able to goose that sound some more and I decided on a Boost/Overdrive combo pedal. Having both a Boost and an Overdrive in front of an already over-driven amp is what sounds best to me. If I kick in the boost, it pushes the front of the amp a little harder and gives it a nice "chugging" level of distortion. Turn on the overdrive without the boost, and I have a good lead that can also be shaped by the tone controls on the overdrive pedal. If I need to go for all out saturation, I engage both the Overdrive and Boost. And if I really need to take it to maximum sustain, I have an MXR SuperComp.

So, for my 2 amp rig, gain increases go like this:

Vox Clean

Vox + Boost (MXR Boost)

Vox + Overdrive (TRex Tonebug)

Vox + Overdrive + Boost

Egnater

Egnater + Boost (TRex Moller)

Egnater + Overdrive (TRex Moller)

Egnater + Overdrive + Boost

The MXR SuperComp I can add to either amp chain as it comes before the amp switcher. And as it turns out, the level of gain with Vox + Overdrive + Boost is almost equivalent to the Egnater alone, but they have a different character, which is nice to choose from.

In some ways, this seems more complicated than my old amp modelling and rack effects, but in practice, it actually works out really well and I'm feeling more inspired by the tones.

• Like 1

I had an OCD and it just was not what I was looking for. Great pedal, but there was something missing for me. I use the Plimsoul and it has everything that I need. Right now, I am into Fuzz and I have a Little Big Muff and a Fulltone 70. Thinking about getting something a little darker. The Blackout effects fuzz is frightening sounding. I think that may be the one.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Oct 10 2012, 01:59 PM)
I had an OCD and it just was not what I was looking for. Great pedal, but there was something missing for me. I use the Plimsoul and it has everything that I need. Right now, I am into Fuzz and I have a Little Big Muff and a Fulltone 70. Thinking about getting something a little darker. The Blackout effects fuzz is frightening sounding. I think that may be the one.

I might add a Fulltone 69' to my board as a fuzz. But hey, the OCD works for me. wink.gif

QUOTE (default236 @ Oct 10 2012, 07:57 PM)

I might add a Fulltone 69' to my board as a fuzz. But hey, the OCD works for me. wink.gif

Don't get me wrong, it's a great pedal. I like the Plimsoul a bit more. I have not tried the 69 but I love the 70. Maybe I will look into it.

I like the following:

Black Arts- Pharaoh

EarthQuaker Devices- Hoof and Tone Reaper

MJM -Foxy Fuzz

Original ProCo- RAT from the 80's

Check em' out

Great Article on Earthquaker Devices in the latest issue of Premier Guitar magazine

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issu...er_Devices.aspx

also here's a link to a video comparing 16 different fuzz pedals

I use... Behringer

a Behringer Vamp 1 (80$, multi effect with 100 presets. Mainly use the built in amps, auto wah, and sometimes chorus)

Behringer Reverb

Behringer Attack

Begringer Flanger

(30-40$ a piece when including adapters which are seperate)

All plugged into a broken CRATE amp (should be getting a new one along with a new guitar this christmas... Still should look into that.) and I have a cheap beginner guitar (Johnson it's small) and a rockwood pro (poor boy's fender).

I like ambient sounds... But you bet I play a lot of heavy heavy stuff as well. But what I love most is making a sound that's atmospheric and simple. Doesn't even have to be consistent, I just love that sound...

Music's a hobby of mine. I'm not very good at it, but I have fun.

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Oct 20 2012, 01:21 AM)
I use... Behringer

a Behringer Vamp 1 (80$, multi effect with 100 presets. Mainly use the built in amps, auto wah, and sometimes chorus)

Behringer Reverb
Behringer Attack
Begringer Flanger
(30-40$ a piece when including adapters which are seperate)

All plugged into a broken CRATE amp (should be getting a new one along with a new guitar this christmas... Still should look into that.) and I have a cheap beginner guitar (Johnson it's small) and a rockwood pro (poor boy's fender).

I like ambient sounds... But you bet I play a lot of heavy heavy stuff as well. But what I love most is making a sound that's atmospheric and simple. Doesn't even have to be consistent, I just love that sound...

Music's a hobby of mine. I'm not very good at it, but I have fun.

I'm more than satisfied with pedals... Just suggest some good, economic amps please. Looking for something between 100-250. Thanks. Might start a separate thread.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Oct 14 2012, 11:15 AM)
QUOTE (default236 @ Oct 10 2012, 07:57 PM)

Don't get me wrong, it's a great pedal. I like the Plimsoul a bit more. I have not tried the 69 but I love the 70. Maybe I will look into it.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I'll have to look into the Plimsoul. Sounds like a killer pedal!

I revamped my gear recently (I do this like every 6-8 years).

This time, I decided to go with low watt tube amps and dirt stomp boxes.

I started with a Vox Nighttrain and tried a host of distortion, boost and overdrive boxes. However, I found that I don't really like deriving my distorted sound from pedals in front of a "clean" amp, so I finally settled on only having an overdrive and a boost in front of that amp to get two flavors between light crunch and light overdrive. Then I decided to go for a 2 amp rig using my two 2x12 cabs.

The second amp I bought was an Egnater Rebel 20 that I run around 3 o'clock on the gain. That gives me a nice medium distortion without any pedals, something along the lines of modern Lifeson rhythm. But I wanted to be able to goose that sound some more and I decided on a Boost/Overdrive combo pedal. Having both a Boost and an Overdrive in front of an already over-driven amp is what sounds best to me. If I kick in the boost, it pushes the front of the amp a little harder and gives it a nice "chugging" level of distortion. Turn on the overdrive without the boost, and I have a good lead that can also be shaped by the tone controls on the overdrive pedal. If I need to go for all out saturation, I engage both the Overdrive and Boost. And if I really need to take it to maximum sustain, I have an MXR SuperComp.

So, for my 2 amp rig, gain increases go like this:

Vox Clean

Vox + Boost (MXR Boost)

Vox + Overdrive (TRex Tonebug)

Vox + Overdrive + Boost

Egnater

Egnater + Boost (TRex Moller)

Egnater + Overdrive (TRex Moller)

Egnater + Overdrive + Boost

The MXR SuperComp I can add to either amp chain as it comes before the amp switcher. And as it turns out, the level of gain with Vox + Overdrive + Boost is almost equivalent to the Egnater alone, but they have a different character, which is nice to choose from.

In some ways, this seems more complicated than my old amp modelling and rack effects, but in practice, it actually works out really well and I'm feeling more inspired by the tones.

I bought an Egnater Rebel 30 last summer and am really starting to dig it! So far, I have only teamed it up with a Boss V-Wah.

Rock On!

pedals are fine in moderation,lifeson is a pedal monster and should play more "clean"guitar imo

Agreed. I saw a video of him going over his rig and signal chain for the S&A tour. It was mind-numbing everything his signal went through. I just sat there and thought, "overkill."

Does his guitar sound good, and with a variety of sounds? And do those sounds fit the music? I'd answer yes to all those questions.

I never question someone's choice of effects or guitars or amp if they make it work for them and their music.

I can't really argue with the results. However, from time to time I have felt (from hearing it, not from knowing the length of the chain) that his tone was cold and over-processed. Many guitarists get as good or better tone (my opinion, of course) with note even half the stuff he runs through.

You talking about certain studio tracks, or live? Any examples?

I think for me it was most noticeable on Different Stages, the 1997 tracks.

Right, and I agree. But I won't blame his effects chain.

Most of that live album was taken from the T4E tour ('97), and his choice of amps for that tour was the Marshall JCM900.

I own a 900, and in fact the rhythm tracks for mine and Cyg's version of "La Villa" were recorded with it. It's well documented how dissatisfied I was with the tone I got from that amp -- it's very thin and fizzy. Marshalls from the '90s and '00s like the 900/DSL/TSL/JVM all have that bright and crispy modern tonal characteristic that I'm not crazy about.

After his solid state GK phase, Alex got into tube amps again, and he needed amps with effects loops. The 900s were newest Marshalls at the time that fit the bill, and he used those on the T4E tour. That was my least favorite of his heavy live tones.

I play through a JCM900 and wasn't too pleased with it at first. Only played it because my own amp set itself on fire. I'm very fond of Joe Bonamassa's tone, so I copied some of what he does with his DSL100 heads: Use the A channel, then turn the gain all the way up, and adjust volume to taste. You may need to tweak the EQ depending on what type of guitar, but that amp opens up and has huge friggin' balls! Throw a dirt box in front and this baby sings ;)

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1
fixed quote tags

http://www.mpamp.com/pedal/download/sbod/web/mp-sbo-001.jpg

I use this one in front of my Single Rectifier (set to moderate but not over the top gain) and my JCM900 with even less gain. With two different gain stages being pushed by an overdrive the tone is kinda fuzzy, but with a mixture of tube overdrive and preamp distortion. If I use the neck pickup on my Les Paul and back the tone knob down a bit, I'm in fuzz territory.