For the love of Dirt and Fuzz

Maverick

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 26 2012, 07:54 AM)
I always laugh at guys with distortion boxes in their pedal boards playing through a Marshall.

You mean like Randy Rhoads? smile.gif

He had his MXR's hard wired into his Marshalls.

I just bought a small Marshall Class 5 strictly for distortion tone. And that is what it does best. It sounds like a Mrashall Plexi at a lower volume. My "clean" amp is a 70's silverface Deluxe Reverb which breaks up a little with humbuckers but sounds really good with a good pedal preamp that drives the tubes for some excellent saturation. Not quite the same as a Marshall but still tasty. More smooth than an MXR distortion plus.

All I have to say about he Big Muff is YUCK! I played with a guy who swore by them but it just sounded nasty, and not in a good way.

Here's something pretty off-the-wall: my friend got one of these a while back. Definitely not your go-to fuzz pedal, and purists probably won't find any use for it whatsoever, but for playing around with some of the furthest reaches of potential guitar tones, it can be pretty fun. Especially with an expression pedal hooked up.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Jun 27 2012, 06:49 PM)
Here's something pretty off-the-wall: my friend got one of these a while back. Definitely not your go-to fuzz pedal, and purists probably won't find any use for it whatsoever, but for playing around with some of the furthest reaches of potential guitar tones, it can be pretty fun. Especially with an expression pedal hooked up.

I've seen those demoed before. They are definitely out there in the sonic spectrum. I agree with your assessment. It's one of those things where you might be able to feature it in one song (though I imagine it changes considerably with tweaking, so maybe more than one if you don't mind fiddling with your pedals during the gig.)

Have you ever heard any of Devi Ever's pedals?

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jun 27 2012, 03:40 PM)
I always laugh at guys with distortion boxes in their pedal boards playing through a Marshall.

rofl3.gif

I loved Randy's playing, and will leave it at that.

My point with the Marshall comment was, a Marshall is generally considered the amp of choice for its distortion value. It does this just fine with nothing but head + cab. So why do you need to add more distortion in the form of a pedal? I feel all this accomplishes is making the guitar sound less like a guitar, and is unfortunately the mistake so many guitarists make. Hence my other comment, "if you need more distortion by adding a pedal, you're using the wrong amp". IMO.

Edited by launchpad67a

The Big Muff was my first pedal. plugged into my 5 watt Sears pos, but at last I had what I thought was distortion. I love a nice distortion but am not a fan of fuzz.

As for pedals in front of an amps distortion, sometimes you just need a little more sustain like the solo in Camera Eye ya know? As long a sit doesn't destroy the tone I'm good with it. trink39.gif

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 28 2012, 09:49 AM)

rofl3.gif

My point with the Marshall comment was, a Marshall is generally considered the amp of choice for its distortion value. It does this just fine with nothing but head + cab. So why do you need to add more distortion in the form of a pedal? I feel all this accomplishes is making the guitar sound less like a guitar, and is unfortunately the mistake so many guitarists make. Hence my other comment, "if you need more distortion by adding a pedal, you're using the wrong amp". IMO.

Now that was worded in a positive, constructive way.

trink39.gif

For the record, I wouldn't buy a Mesa Boogie Road King and then think I needed any OD/distortion boxes. I might still want a fuzz or two, since no amp really does fuzz naturally.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 28 2012, 06:49 AM)

rofl3.gif

I agree, but can't a guy mess with you? tongue.gif

QUOTE (Maverick @ Jun 28 2012, 05:34 AM)

I've seen those demoed before. They are definitely out there in the sonic spectrum. I agree with your assessment. It's one of those things where you might be able to feature it in one song (though I imagine it changes considerably with tweaking, so maybe more than one if you don't mind fiddling with your pedals during the gig.)

Yeah. Might pick up a Legend of Fuzz someday, or maybe this crazy thing. Need to take care of the more "everyday" guitar toys first though...I still don't have a decent compressor yet.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jun 28 2012, 10:59 AM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 28 2012, 06:49 AM)

rofl3.gif

I agree, but can't a guy mess with you? tongue.gif

laugh.gif Yes...you can, but no one else.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Jun 28 2012, 05:20 PM)

Yeah. Might pick up a Legend of Fuzz someday, or maybe this crazy thing. Need to take care of the more "everyday" guitar toys first though...I still don't have a decent compressor yet.

Oh my! You gotta love a pedal that has a joystick!

That thing is serious...

QUOTE (Maverick @ Jun 29 2012, 05:27 AM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Jun 28 2012, 05:20 PM)

Oh my! You gotta love a pedal that has a joystick!

That thing is serious...

That is one of the most out of control pedals I have ever seen. I think that I might have to get one....

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/wampler-black-65-2_clip-9b0d4ad95b3ee2189383a2996f03de49.jpg

Had a chance to play with this baby over the weekend. I really like it a lot. Primarily it was use to provide a little grit to the clean channel of my Lonestar. It excelled in this. Today, though, it was used to goose the front end of the Lonestar's second channel which was set to some serious break up, but controlled through the master volume. When the pedal was engaged, it really pushed the amp into overdrive with gorgeous crackle, clear ringing notes, and sustain for days. I was even inspired to break out my brass slide. This pedal has become indispensable.

QUOTE (Maverick @ Jul 2 2012, 07:33 PM)
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/wampler-black-65-2_clip-9b0d4ad95b3ee2189383a2996f03de49.jpg

Had a chance to play with this baby over the weekend. I really like it a lot. Primarily it was use to provide a little grit to the clean channel of my Lonestar. It excelled in this. Today, though, it was used to goose the front end of the Lonestar's second channel which was set to some serious break up, but controlled through the master volume. When the pedal was engaged, it really pushed the amp into overdrive with gorgeous crackle, clear ringing notes, and sustain for days. I was even inspired to break out my brass slide. This pedal has become indispensable.

That sounds amazing. I just watched a few demos. I want to try this in real life.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 7 2012, 08:58 PM)

Thanks for posting this. I am very interested in this now. That sounds amazing.

I spent quite a bit of time with the '65 today, and it continues to inspire. I dropped my low E string to D like the guy did in the Jet City demo, and the pedal just growls and sustains forever. It is a truly great low gain overdrive.

Tomorrow's purchase (well, as soon as I get notified that I got paid)

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/WAMPwreck__37287_zoom.png

The Wampler Triple Wreck ultra high gain distortion pedal. This is essentially a Mesa Boogie Rectifier series amp in a box. And now I will sound like Opeth, Porcupine Tree, and Riverside.

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Edited by Sheldon Cooper

The Triple Wreck has arrived! I've had a brief chance to play with it, and it is brutal. I need to A/B it with my Diamond Fireburst fuzz/distortion pedal now. Something tells me the Diamond may have just become Craigslist bait.

Unfortunately the Triple Wreck is going to have to go back. It has a boost switch that when engaged, causes a radio station to play in my amp. And the higher the gain knob is turned up, the louder the radio station gets.

I did an A/B comparison between the Wreck and my Diamond Fireburst, and the Fireburst gives me the high gain distortion I was getting from the Wreck. So I won't be losing that.

Right now the plan is to return the Wreck in exchange for a dual channel fuzz pedal.

I really wanted the Wreck to work out, but it is only half way functional.

QUOTE (Sheldon Cooper @ Aug 19 2012, 11:11 AM)
Unfortunately the Triple Wreck is going to have to go back. It has a boost switch that when engaged, causes a radio station to play in my amp. And the higher the gain knob is turned up, the louder the radio station gets.

I did an A/B comparison between the Wreck and my Diamond Fireburst, and the Fireburst gives me the high gain distortion I was getting from the Wreck. So I won't be losing that.

Right now the plan is to return the Wreck in exchange for a dual channel fuzz pedal.

That is too bad. Echoes of that scene from Spinal Tap.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Aug 20 2012, 07:32 AM)
QUOTE (Sheldon Cooper @ Aug 19 2012, 11:11 AM)

That is too bad. Echoes of that scene from Spinal Tap.

It certainly does. Wasn't that an issue with his wireless connection to his amp?

The strange thing is, when the guitar is played, you hear the guitar. But the instant the strings are silenced, the radio station comes through, loud and clear.